beefalo bell can kill you because it causes the beefalo to run away

Beefalo is fliping broken 
I have tamed many beefalo in the past, but after the lunar new year update, I'm done with taming beefalo

.So there is my story, so when the update launched, me and my friend create a new world and I want to tame a beefalo again but it was just so frustrating and I gave up

my beefalo can just decide to let me ride him or not RANDOMLY 

not only that, he also shake the saddle off every time even after I give him food 

I'm give up with taming him, and I turn him into my dinner :< 

8 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

Oh, and here's the clip of mine I posted last time too. It's really annoying problem to deal with for sure, hope klei fix it...

thats because woby has the critter AI, or atleast the part where it makes it try to move out of your way which was either an oversight, or an oversight I cant really see this being anything else

Yeah it's annoying how the beefalo runs away, there are simple ways to deal with that like waiting or running away from it briefly then running towards it as a slightly faster option, but those are work arounds of a silly problem that just shouldn't be there to begin with.

3 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

What

Oh uhm right, I sometimes forget not everyone plays these games. Okay so anyway basically here’s what happened: A game company (Not Klei) had the second LARGEST mob in their game that’s supposed to average 15,000+ in health, but when they released a newer DLC they wanted a SMALLER Mob 5,000- in health to share the same abilities of the larger mob: What ended up happening is the game gave the large mob that’s supposed to average 15,000+ Health the stats of the smaller one giving them 5,000- minus health and well: People lost some of their best mounts during this time.

I used this as a reference to how the Cowbell makes Beefalo behave like Woby.

9 hours ago, Toriih said:

Yeah, and even when a fight is not happening, he just does that randomly

This is not about if he was fighting properly or not, i was watching the whole battle and he was doing perfectly fine, he just dismounted to guarantee the beefalo wasn't going to pull him off, which was unlikely to happen, and maybe even heal him because he did suffered some slaps but not many tho, but the beefalo just started running away for a LONG time with 0 reasons and Esai paid a big price for it.

If the devs see this and the behaviour from the beefalo could be not fixed but improved, then the point of this topic was achieved

3 hours ago, JustCrimson said:

What is that even supposed to mean? If he had the beefalo tamed normally then it wouldn't have ran off like that. The bell is supposed to be for pseudo taming beefalo to use them in the dress up minigame, not for getting a free beefalo to fight bosses with

His beefalo was tamed normally. It also had the bond with the bell.

The bonding of the bell IS useful and necessary to move the beefalo with you through wormholes, caves, and to take it with you if you leave the server. It’s not only a cosmetic thing.

My question was that maybe and as long as we have this faulty AI behavior just un-bonding before boss fights would be safer so the beefalo doesn’t behave like this. 

15 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

bell IS necessary to move the beefalo with you through wormholes, caves, and to take it with you if you leave the server. It’s not only a cosmetic thing.

This is exactly what I just said though: the bell makes Beefalo do all the things you just listed that Woby did already.

Its also WHY the game crashed when Walter tried to ride Woby in YoTB update.

Why are people trying to downplay this like "Oh well if he had played that fight perfectly he wouldn't have died so it's his fault that the beefalo running away killed him and not the fault of the beefalo running away unexpectedly"? Who cares if it's his fault or not? The beefalo running away is what killed him, the beefalo running away is annoying in other situations even if it's not lethal, the beefalo has no reason to run away. Why distract from the point that this mechanic is stupid by trying to blame him for his death?

2 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

His beefalo was tamed normally. It also had the bond with the bell.

The bonding of the bell IS useful and necessary to move the beefalo with you through wormholes, caves, and to take it with you if you leave the server. It’s not only a cosmetic thing.

My question was that maybe and as long as we have this faulty AI behavior just un-bonding before boss fights would be safer so the beefalo doesn’t behave like this. 

Yep sadly this is going to have to be how it is  will be untill  it gets fixed I hope there is no penalty  for unbonding   should we @  the devs  on this or write it out on the bug forum 

11 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Why are people trying to downplay this like "Oh well if he had played that fight perfectly he wouldn't have died so it's his fault that the beefalo running away killed him and not the fault of the beefalo running away unexpectedly"?

While I'm not a fan of the beefalo running away mechanic either, it's important to fully understand a new mechanic before complaining about it in the way people in this thread are. The mechanics here are consistent. He didn't "just decide to run" as the OP claims, what happened is that a bonded beefalo will run from you immediately if you dismount while holding the bell. This situation could've been easily avoided by:
- Dropping the bell before dismounting, which would cause him to go back to regular beefalo behavior.
- Waiting 0.5 seconds for the beefalo to stop running, rather than chasing him hopelessly as if he'll eventually just stop. This is how mobs that run from you tend to work in DST: they want to get a certain distance away, and then calm down. If you just let the beefalo get that small distance away, he'd calm down and you could feed and mount him again.
You wouldn't have to play this fight perfectly, you'd just.... need to understand the mechanics of a new item (the Beefalo bell) before using it incorrectly, dying, and then complaining on the forums as if it's an inconsistent broken mechanic instead of one you just don't fully understand yet.

it's honestly the worst as walter. I felt it should be fixed, but klei doesn't like to revisit basic character QoL months after the character release. After I played walter a ton, having Woby run from Walter all the time for no good reason is so frustrating. And it looks like they just gave this annoying AI to beefalos.

29 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

And it looks like they just gave this annoying AI to beefalos.

they made it so the beefalo runs towards the bell it is bonded towards....it is really not as unpredictable/annoying as y'all make it out to be, the solution to this dillemma is just practicing instantly giving snacks to beefalo/mounting again after dismounting to work with how fast the beefalo runs, not removing behavior that is otherwise convenient...

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

While I'm not a fan of the beefalo running away mechanic either, it's important to fully understand a new mechanic before complaining about it in the way people in this thread are. The mechanics here are consistent. He didn't "just decide to run" as the OP claims, what happened is that a bonded beefalo will run from you immediately if you dismount while holding the bell. This situation could've been easily avoided by:
- Dropping the bell before dismounting, which would cause him to go back to regular beefalo behavior.
- Waiting 0.5 seconds for the beefalo to stop running, rather than chasing him hopelessly as if he'll eventually just stop. This is how mobs that run from you tend to work in DST: they want to get a certain distance away, and then calm down. If you just let the beefalo get that small distance away, he'd calm down and you could feed and mount him again.
You wouldn't have to play this fight perfectly, you'd just.... need to understand the mechanics of a new item (the Beefalo bell) before using it incorrectly, dying, and then complaining on the forums as if it's an inconsistent broken mechanic instead of one you just don't fully understand yet.

This was my first time taming a Beefalo in the new update I've always tame the beefalos before and they've always been consistent. I wanted to try out the new Bell because it gives personality to the Beefalo but it takes away the consistency of using it. I understand now the mechanic occurs but it's definitely a mechanic that should not happen on a mount that can be  combat-oriented. It just makes it easier to fight without having the Bell and people would only ever make the bond to travel through wormholes or caves or leave the server.

And in reality the developers just did a shortcut to apply an anti fighting characters AI(woby) into a mob that would be used to fight it just doesn't work

The reason this a I existed so that way wobbie can escape and not be in the way while Walter fights

Everything sounds reasonable  in hind sight but sometime in the heat of the moment that .5 seconds can get you killed or even your beefalo killed  and  in any game  you would not want to lose control of your actions for any amount of time  unless it's enemy specific  (fuel weaver mind control) 

What we are explaining in this thread is just bad design 

2 hours ago, Lbphero said:

they made it so the beefalo runs towards the bell it is bonded towards....it is really not as unpredictable/annoying as y'all make it out to be, the solution to this dillemma is just practicing instantly giving snacks to beefalo/mounting again after dismounting to work with how fast the beefalo runs, not removing behavior that is otherwise convenient...

Yeah try doing that in lag 

the thing is you can still have follower AI  the devs have already made good follower AI  using a item you hold (Chester hutch  lavae  )

They could even use the larvae AI instead because lavae  can enter caves with you  follow the bonded item but not run away.

4 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

While I'm not a fan of the beefalo running away mechanic either, it's important to fully understand a new mechanic before complaining about it in the way people in this thread are.

When a thread full of ppl are saying a mechanic is annoying its really weird and patronizing of u to drop in and say, "actually none of u understand it". Did you watch HeatAndRun's video? What exactly was the point of your post?

This situation could've been easily avoided by:

Yeah we know that lol i said exactly that in the 3rd post in this thread. "you guys are needlessly complaining about a mechanic you do not understand. here is how it works so you can just avoid the mechanic entirely. there is still however nothing wrong with the mechanic you just have to understand it so you can disable it completely and not have to deal with it"

The mechanics here are consistent.

Consistent is exactly the last thing the running away behavior is. Its supposed to run a certain distance away from you and stop. however the slightest move in the direction of the beefalo bugs it out and makes it run potentially forever as showcased in this video. It'll also occasionally happen when you try to feed it after dismounting and it starts running back and forwards to you like its got brainworms. 

I highly doubt that is intended behavior or anything resembling consistent.

Is it consistent behavior when you change saddles after dismounting and get locked into sliding along with the beef until it decides to randomly stop running and the saddle finally gets put on?

54 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Did you watch HeatAndRun's video?
Is it consistent behavior when you change saddles after dismounting and get locked into sliding along with the beef until it decides to randomly stop running and the saddle finally gets put on?

Those are both bugs (one of them with Woby) that should be fixed, yeah. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the behavior shown in the video in the OP.

Consistent is exactly the last thing the running away behavior is. Its supposed to run a certain distance away from you and stop. however the slightest move in the direction of the beefalo bugs it out and makes it run potentially forever as showcased in this video.

It's consistent. I described the behavior in my reply: it's running forever in this video because the player is constantly trying to chase it down when, like I said, you have to let the beefalo get a certain distance away. If you're constantly running after it trying to mount it, then it's not going to get that distance away, so it's going to keep running until you stand still and let it.

It's consistent, you just have to understand how.

What exactly was the point of your post?

The point of my post was explaining how the bell works, from my experience with using and working around it in my gameplay.

31 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

It's consistent, you just have to understand how.

We know how it works its not rocket science.

knowing how it works doesnt make it any less annoying or justifies its sudden addition to beefalo. this is like arguing about how they shouldve worn armor or done this or that then maybe they wouldnt have died. that is not the point of this thread at all. If the behavior introduces the possibility for this kind of janky annoying behavior why does it exist in the first place? that is the point of this thread. people do not want a mount running away from them. 

Especially because beefalo have not functioned like this until the addition of the bell as im sure you know so i dont understand what there is to gain by implying people are not allowed to be dissatisfied by this new addition? 

God, this video isn't helping the case at all. There is so much wrong in this DF approach that the LEGIT showcase of terrible bonded beef AI is completly overshadowed. Please just ignore the setting and imagine the player was peacefully dismounting in the middle of their totally safe base.

1) This running away behaviour that can also glitch out as mentioned is annoying as ****, when trying to normally interact with your beef. 

2) The behaviour doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It has no purpose gameplay wise and is irrational immersion wise. The mighty, proud and dangerous ornery beefalo suddenly runs away in fear, because you gave him a name. Err what?

3) The bell is such an amazing item for tamed beefalo, that not using it is out of the question. It is also the single item that even makes it possible to actually use tamed beefalo for more than one session on unmodded public servers.

4) Unbonding in certain situations to fix the AI is certainly a workaraound, I'd prefer a fix though.

I don't understand how "learning and dealing" with an annoying and unnecessary behaviour is better than just improving it, for real, no excuses make a minimum of sense. Your fully tamed and bonded beefalo getting distance from you? Really? I don't see how this would be ever logically useful. "Oh but doing like that he can get safe or whatever" and you stand there like a potato. 

Even in a peaceful scenario where nothing is happening this is meaningless, please, the even worse part is the beefalo was suposed to fight, but excluding fights from the topic, your tamed partner should be always close to you.

Archived