beefalo bell can kill you because it causes the beefalo to run away

27 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

I would be willing to say that one can also learn to avoid bugs with such mechanics, until they are addressed, if they ever are. I think something like "sliding with the beefalo unable to do anything until it decides to stop" is something that probably has some kind of thing that triggers it, one could probably avoid that.

19 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

refuse to work with new mechanic and simply ask for developer to restore things back to way it was

44 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

i hope to all that is above me that it isnt, mike you are severrely taking for granted how amazing it is to be able to disconnect from a server with your beefalo

Well I mean, yeah that part is nice.. but it’s also just code burrowed from Woby.

I host most my own worlds though and since Xbox doesn’t have dedicated servers: worlds only really last for as long as the host feels like hosting them.

It is however.. nice that my friends who join/leave my worlds Beefalo joins/leaves with them. So even if trolls do join the game in my friends Absence: They can’t kill their Beefalo.

it makes sense that beefalos attempt to make distance between themselves and the player, but in practice it falls short because the beefalo will actively run away from you when you are trying to interact with it shortly after dismounting, personally i believe they should discard this behavior entirely or make the beefalo/woby stop everything its doing and run towards the player if the player is trying to give, mount, or open it

edit: i dont see why anyone is defending the beefalo ai when it is flawed, yes theres counterplay to the flawed ai, but why do we need to actively work against the ai to do what it should do in the first place? in situations like this, your first instinct is to unmount and interact, not unmount, run away from the beefalo, and then interact because if you dont the beefalo will run across the world to get away from you

having to compensate for poor ai is not good design

I think instead of changing the beefalo AI so that we don't have to fight against it, the player's controls should also need to be fought against. A great point was brought up that if you dismount directly on top of something for some reason, then you might have trouble seeing it, so it walking away is helpful. That's completely true, and I think this sort of defensive measure should be taken further off of the beefalo and onto the players themselves. A great example is the Deerclops Eye. If you pick it up, then hover over it, then right click, you eat it! To help prevent accidental eatery of the eye, the players should automatically drop it out of their inventory unless they do the /dance emote before they pick it up, to help them remember not to eat the eyeball. I believe the game would be much more enjoyable if as many annoying hurdles that could be intentionally misconstrued as technically being able to be helpful were added. Perhaps walking on swamp turf could always equip the walking cane and armor for every single slot it can equip armor in so the scary tentacles don't surprise you? Maybe you automatically walk away from enemies unless you're currently in an attack command? The possibilities are endless.

39 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I think instead of changing the beefalo AI so that we don't have to fight against it, the player's controls should also need to be fought against. A great point was brought up that if you dismount directly on top of something for some reason, then you might have trouble seeing it, so it walking away is helpful. That's completely true, and I think this sort of defensive measure should be taken further off of the beefalo and onto the players themselves. A great example is the Deerclops Eye. If you pick it up, then hover over it, then right click, you eat it! To help prevent accidental eatery of the eye, the players should automatically drop it out of their inventory unless they do the /dance emote before they pick it up, to help them remember not to eat the eyeball. I believe the game would be much more enjoyable if as many annoying hurdles that could be intentionally misconstrued as technically being able to be helpful were added. Perhaps walking on swamp turf could always equip the walking cane and armor for every single slot it can equip armor in so the scary tentacles don't surprise you? Maybe you automatically walk away from enemies unless you're currently in an attack command? The possibilities are endless.

No :lol:

I'm currently playing on a public Klei survival server, ~250 days in as Wendy with an ornery beefalo.

Because it is a griefing public server my base of operation is in the wilds, surrounded by 5 nightmare fissures and 3 monkey pods. Because it is a griefing public server, I cannot ever drop the bell unless I am in a very remote/dangerous location. The risk of another player taking the bell and logging out with it or killing the beef is just too big..

As a result: 

* :I regularly use crockpots, farmplots, chests and whatever else in the server's mainbase, while having the bell in my inventory. The normal beefalo bhaviour includes, the beefalo running a short distance up to you and begging for food. Once it's fully tamed, it stops begging, but still runs up to you, if you get into its begging radius. then returns to do whatever it was doing. Having the bell in the inventory makes it so, that the beefalo is always close enough to start begging, thus being constantly on top of you, unless it is nighttime (then it sleeps).

I CALL OUT YOUR ********. The people that seriously defend the stupid running away mechanic, because they like dismounting on top of their crockpots with a beefalo bell in their inventory. It running away shortly, does absolutely nothing, because it will immediately return, unless you actively chase it, in which case, you aren't using your crockpots at all. Stop the theoretical ******** about a mechanic you clearly haven't really used or experienced and let the people that actually use beefalo talk about their valid concerns with a beefalo AI change, that was most likely an unintended side effect of an otherwise great event addition.

* Every nightmare phase 1-3 nightmares wander through my base. Since my beef is ornery, I have to always feed it 1 item before mounting.. Naturally most of the time, my beef is parked with his bell at a nearby saltlick, but sometimes I still have the bell in my inventory. The extra 2 seconds, it takes me to approach the beef, then wait for it to do its run-away-come-back dance, before I can feed and mount it, is super annoying, when I have to kite a nightmarebeak at the same time. Do I have to fight shadows on my beef? Absolutely not. Do I have to base so close to fissures? No, not really. Does this change anything about the annoyance and uselessness of this mechanic? Again, absolutely not.

* Some people might be taming ornery beefalo for fun and fun only. I tamed an ornery beefalo, because I play Wendy who has ridiculous damage output with Abigail on beefalos, easily surpassinng Wigfrid, slightly ahead of buffed up Warly and only behind Wolfgang. Naturally I do most of of my fights (including boss fights) on beefback. Because it is a public server all the panflutes/mandrakes have disappeared and people advance winter without killing Klaus. As a result, I have no access to panflutes. In order to successfully fight bosses like Dragonfly or Klaus on beefback without a panflute, you have to do proper kiting (and bring ice staves). But no matter what, it's easy to mess up. Damage to yourself or the beefalo isn't always avoidable. As a result, one will want to dismount and heal the beefalo through its quadruple food healing modifier by feeding it eggplant, toma root, potatoe, blue mushrooms or whatever else you brought as prep for the boss/ruins, etc. Without panflutes there is only a small window to dismount and feed, the beef running away makes this needlessly difficult and stupid - WHICH IS ACTUALLY SHOWN IN THE VIDEO.

28 minutes ago, Prinha said:

Exactlyyyy all the examples given of the running away behavior being detrimental are so true and ive experienced them myself plenty of times as well. 

29 minutes ago, Prinha said:

Having the bell in the inventory makes it so, that the beefalo is always close enough to start begging, thus being constantly on top of you, unless it is nighttime (then it sleeps).

It running away shortly, does absolutely nothing, because it will immediately return, unless you actively chase it, in which case, you aren't using your crockpots at all.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 

30 minutes ago, Prinha said:

let the people that actually use beefalo talk about their valid concerns with a beefalo AI change, that was most likely an unintended side effect of an otherwise great event addition.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 

Ok as i have sent in the bug report on the bell I feel like I should chime in on this matter as i have trained beefalo long before the bell was around. In the video there was only 1 mistake done by the rider of that beefalo that was dismounting in the first place however that alone didnt kill him. Now on to the beefalo.

Training with out the bell resualts in a beef that will stay put while dismounted you can test this by breaking and renewing bonds with the bell yes it is that easy. So the movement is a uninteded bug probably code from how woby operates if i am being honest. So the needless movement isnt required.

The bells abillity to log out is fine as well as having it go with the player who bears the bell so that makes sense.However do not place your bell across the map then dismount as the running to the bell is coded to your beefalo.

Now that I am finished with the basic complaints and bugs here is what can be added to fix some issues new first time people have with beefalo.

Klei add a overlay that tells people there buck timers that player in this vid could have lived if he had that information as well as health if a moding comunity can make it i am certain its not to much of a ask to add it to the bells code or the code of another item.

Now for the people that are complaining about the bell yes it is buggy with the running however this also adds more utility to the system as they can be made to do cave content and pick things up and if anyone remembers the buggy mess that beefalo were in DS they would know that this is huge to have in DST. Also as a side note please DO NOT spread false or missleading information about beefalo taming all you require for rider and ornery is to use grass/twigs and either ride or fight all the time. Pudgy is the only type that you would ever care about the feeding side of a beefalo period.

P.S. :- For those that havent taken the time to do beefalo in the past they have more bugs still after the bell that just concern basic mechanics with the game for example wigs songs wartox heals ect... Yes this mech isnt justified however do remember there is more to this then just the bell.

People seem to be forgetting one tiny little thing here: 

54444C58-E439-4053-9EC7-CD860E2C2586.thumb.jpeg.4b891af9d9ab4939c8e745136cc5820b.jpeg

Yes your seeing that right- taming a Beefalo is the last achievement in the entire game I unlocked, and it’s also the rarest one with the lowest percentage of players across Xbox Live that HAVE Unlocked it.

So Excuse me Beefalo taming elitists if I make some mistake by not knowing every little thing about Beefalo. As you can see here: ALL of Xbox Live ain’t much wiser.

That said: For me I’ve only tamed Beefalo 2 times prior to this update (and once more after the update)

Beefalo taming for ME involved nothing but setting up a ton of Twiggy Trees near it and it’s heard and then feeding it loose twigs for roughly 15-20 days till it tamed out (and it’s gonna eat a lot of em) 

With YoTB this process became significantly easier because instead of bringing food to your Beefalo: You can gather food as you explore the map and shove it directly over into your Beefalo’s trap- as long as the Beefalo was bonded to the Bell.

My experience with the Bell is that it shares most of Wobys code: (going in wormholes, going in caves, running away from enemy mobs when you dismount near something hostile, leaving and joining the world with players when they Join/Leave)

People shouldn’t have to know everything there is about taming a Beefalo to understand that the YoTB bell Borrows Woby’s abilities (minus extra inventory & grow/shrink ability)

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

People seem to be forgetting one tiny little thing here: 

54444C58-E439-4053-9EC7-CD860E2C2586.thumb.jpeg.4b891af9d9ab4939c8e745136cc5820b.jpeg

Yes your seeing that right- taming a Beefalo is the last achievement in the entire game I unlocked, and it’s also the rarest one with the lowest percentage of players across Xbox Live that HAVE Unlocked it.

So Excuse me Beefalo taming elitists if I make some mistake by not knowing every little thing about Beefalo. As you can see here: ALL of Xbox Live ain’t much wiser.

That said: For me I’ve only tamed Beefalo 2 times prior to this update (and once more after the update)

Beefalo taming for ME involved nothing but setting up a ton of Twiggy Trees near it and it’s heard and then feeding it loose twigs for roughly 15-20 days till it tamed out (and it’s gonna eat a lot of em) 

With YoTB this process became significantly easier because instead of bringing food to your Beefalo: You can gather food as you explore the map and shove it directly over into your Beefalo’s trap- as long as the Beefalo was bonded to the Bell.

My experience with the Bell is that it shares most of Wobys code: (going in wormholes, going in caves, running away from enemy mobs when you dismount near something hostile, leaving and joining the world with players when they Join/Leave)

People shouldn’t have to know everything there is about taming a Beefalo to understand that the YoTB bell Borrows Woby’s abilities (minus extra inventory & grow/shrink ability)

if you don't know anything then you don't engage in said topic you don't know anything about

seems pretty simple yes?

On 2/15/2021 at 2:29 AM, Cheggf said:

Perhaps walking on swamp turf could always equip the walking cane and armor for every single slot it can equip armor in so the scary tentacles don't surprise you? Maybe you automatically walk away from enemies unless you're currently in an attack command?

NO please no! Don't control my movement, and don't mess up my vanity outfit for me.

18 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Salt lick. That's it. Salt lick. Park your beefalo a salt lick whenever you're not gonna be around. I did things super casual, riding my beef whenever and having her eat all the loose twigs when traveling. No idea how long it took to tame, I didn't count. I did accidentally hit her once when feeding too fast. Didn't have a brush until she was almost tamed.

The secret is the salt lick.

2 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

NO please no! Don't control my movement, and don't mess up my vanity outfit for me.

Salt lick. That's it. Salt lick. Park your beefalo a salt lick whenever you're not gonna be around. I did things super casual, riding my beef whenever and having her eat all the loose twigs when traveling. No idea how long it took to tame, I didn't count. I did accidentally hit her once when feeding too fast. Didn't have a brush until she was almost tamed.

The secret is the salt lick.

I knew about salt licks- but it was also a lot easier just to gather loose sticks from grown twiggy trees that I planted near it, with YoTB this became significantly easier- because you can tame a Beefalo as it follows you everywhere.

you can legit tame them now by passively shoving things in their mouth while you continue to explore the map- and that’s without ever putting a saddle on it too.

Its a great QoL change that helps casual players more easily tame them.

However: It’s hard to tell once it’s been fully tamed if you have a YoTB skin applied to it, I have to take my customized beef & un-customize it to see if it’s been fully tamed yet.

Assuming these features remain in the game: it’s a great way to get a Beef very early on, without ever needing to use a Salt Lick, Brush or Saddle.

Of course having those things will significantly speed up the taming process, but having the Beefalo follow you (& also flee away from danger) means you can just continue to feed them till they tame out.

If they change the flee away from danger part: Beefalo will stupidly follow you into battle & die before being tame.

But I’m still not completely convinced these features are here to stay: maybe the picking things while on him might but the cowbell itself is questionable.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

If they change the flee away from danger part: Beefalo will stupidly follow you into battle & die before being tame.

But I’m still not completely convinced these features are here to stay: maybe the picking things while on him might but the cowbell itself is questionable.

I really hope the bell and picking up behaviors are here for good.

The bell is so easy to use/dismiss, making it trivial (in my opinion) to "tell" your Beefalo to fight alongside you in the upcoming battle or flee when you dismount. And picking things up on Beefback is like a dream. Only way they could spoil us more is allowing the use of chests and containers. Probably a good thing to not allow that. I'd never get off my Beefalo again.

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I knew about salt licks- but it was also a lot easier just to gather loose sticks from grown twiggy trees that I planted near it

Both! Plant twiggy trees near a salt lick away from any other Beefalo. Get both benefits! Makes 0 hunger not cause a loss of domestication, so you can feed her casually instead of constant babysitting.

Archived