[Game Update] - 450996

• Developer

Hey friends!

Today's Testing Branch patch is mostly bugfixes, though we now have the Hydrogen Engine back in the game!

I'd also like to add a note about a fix that went on to the Testing Branch last week: "Fixed an issue where sometimes a geyser's output would transition the wrong element, which made it appear as if a different element was being emitted". The bug caused elements to state transition using the wrong material properties. In the geyser case that meant steam would cool into methane. In more "normal" cases, it could cause an element to transition based on the wrong state (transition happens on wrong frame) or to transition using incorrect thermal properties (energy created or destroyed). In most cases this shouldn't matter and in fact it's not noticeable during normal play, but scenarios where there are lots of rapid state transitions will behave considerably differently now. One such example is compact steam turbine setups, which may exhibit much different levels of efficiency than before and require tweaking.

Features

• Suit Durability is now a custom game setting
  • Added Spaced Out! versions of the Hydrogen Engine and Liquid Oxidizer Tank
  • Added CryoFuel Propulsion tech to the Research Screen

Change

• Updated strings
  • Worlds are listed in the order they are discovered. Does not apply to worlds already discovered worlds in existing saves
  • Launch button and destination select are now on the Spacefarer Module, not the Basic Nosecone

Fixes:

• Border temperature related crash during starting a new game
  • Fixed loading some saves which have missing cluster information
  • Fixed crash loading some old saves prior to moving the worldgen files around
  • Fixed animations on the Destination Select Screen
  • Fixed replacing a Spacefarer Module with a Solo Spacefarer Nosecone showing excess backwall
  • Fixed sounds for base game Rocket Engines in Spaced Out!
  • Power sources no longer complain about missing consumers if there is a battery or transformer on the network
  • Battery Module's meter now follows it when the rocket is rearranged or launched

View full update

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Big Ups 2

1 hour ago, pether said:

Can we please have germ lethality/severity as custom setting as well please?

I agree, as someone who joined the ONI community after the diseases were nerfed severely, (and is still very much a noob), I would like to have the diseases brought back, at least partially.

• Like 9

i have to agree on the difficulty levels of the disease even on hard mode the germs can mostly be ignored.

Also fullrene and supercoolant on the last planetoid make sense to me maybe this last one planet could be bigger and far away.

Keep up the goodwork !!!

• Like 2

Thank you for the update! 

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Suit Durability is now a custom game setting

I like the "Suit Durability" feature since it gives me a reason to have a wild Thimble Reed farm. However. It is excellent that players now have more options to choose from.

12 minutes ago, Steve8 said:

Can we get some info on how filters on the gas rocket port are supposed to work?

There is a filter on "gas output fitting". I think the reason for that is because when you store the gas using the "gas input fitting" , carbon dioxide and oxygen are stored in a same place "large cargo gas canister" (I personally preferred if they were stored separately). 

2 hours ago, pether said:

Good decision, thanks! Now everybody should be happy

Can we please have germ lethality/severity as custom setting as well please?

a game setting to give us back food quality like originally implemented (yield a function of temperature range control)

a game setting to give disease back the way it was originally

a game setting to restore morale and jobs to mean something

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

There is a filter on "gas output fitting". I think the reason for that is because when you store the gas using the "gas input fitting" , carbon dioxide and oxygen are stored in a same place "large cargo gas canister" (I personally preferred if they were stored separately). 

That's for selecting which gas goes into the crew module. On the Gas Rocket Port it says there are filters in the platform itself. Presumably that would be for selecting what goes to the Gas Rocket Port output

Gasses being stored in the same tank is fine. It means you draw out oxygen and replace it with CO2. Having separate tanks just cuts into the rocket burden and module limit. There just needs to be a way to move the CO2 to the Gas Rocket Port. From there it can be vented to space or stored in tanks as fuel.

• Like 1

Anyone has an Idea if the Liquid oxygen can bring us to the last destination in the Cluster ? and if yes in which specific Setup ? Maybe the Big Petroleum Engine.... with the least possible Modules to bring something back......

Edited by Nuclearpower

I found this error, (string 1828) I also wanted to ask, I know that there is no official version of the Spanish language but I think it is fair to also take into account this type of errors:

and correct them because since the early access is still not fixed, will it have a solution in the next update that shows the translation?

error typo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's too early to ask for a nuclear-powered rocket engine. Since nuclear reactor technology is still in development. And I would like to see not just a nuclear reactor, but a chain of technologies. The technological process, not just a single construction. A zeta bee farm + uranium enrichment, a plant to produce twel - nuclear fuel (fuel pellets). Also interesting mechanics of the nuclear process rather than just one construction, the addition of recirculation pumps rather than just a heat turbine (high temperature steam generators with a large utility factor). And as a result the storage of nuclear waste and the process of its complete utilization. I hope the developers will listen and show all their enthusiasm to make it super interesting. Thank you for your work

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

29 minutes ago, catrue said:

I think it's too early to ask for a nuclear-powered rocket engine. Since nuclear reactor technology is still in development. And I would like to see not just a nuclear reactor, but a chain of technologies. The technological process, not just a single construction. A zeta bee farm + uranium enrichment, a plant to produce twel - nuclear fuel (fuel pellets). Also interesting mechanics of the nuclear process rather than just one construction, the addition of recirculation pumps rather than just a heat turbine (high temperature steam generators with a large utility factor). And as a result the storage of nuclear waste and the process of its complete utilization. I hope the developers will listen and show all their enthusiasm to make it super interesting. Thank you for your work

Yes to all of that !!! How great would it be to develop a whole industry that brings space travel to a whole new Level !! Not just a new way to produce some Power.......Maybe as an end.game Goal to get some Kind of super Heavy Element that lets u produce Neutronium and enables building a time travelling machine as end game goal or more dupe teleporters for convinience ..... and that Time machine would need a big amount of other rare resources as well ........ and an enourmous amount of steady power supply when it is done like 2 Heavy wires at once with 35k or something. 

Edited by Nuclearpower
  • Like 1

The problem with bringing disease back is that it's just another debuff.

Once they get it, they get it. Everything up to that point is a matter of managing exposures. And you are either doing this or your aren't.

If you're already doing this management, then germs are the only interactive aspect of it. If you aren't, then you're treating illnesses.

Which aspect of disease, specifically, do you want to make harder?

---

Did they remove health recovery med kits from the apothecary or do I need to research something specific?

Edited by The Plum Gate
  • Like 1

I think the situation regarding diseases will be reconsidered, and keep in mind that radiation will be added as another limiting factor. And they will probably suffer from it no less than from diseases. Although I admit that earlier diseases were more severe and ignoring them led to unwanted deaths. And that caused some kind of emotion.

Edited by catrue
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

Did they remove health recovery med kits from the apothecary or do I need to research something specific?

Doesn't it appear automatically after you discover one of the materials needed to make it? (Balm lily flower or phosphorite)

Also, I think zombie spores is incurable in DLC... 

Spoiler

496927969_zombiesporesvial.JPG.6d7ea278d3e311e2eb1d695a758d5f2e.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so now that we have a reason to liquify hydrogen, can we get super coolant back?  it's kinda hard to make liquid hydrogen without it.  even if we could get just a little, like atleast 100kg even if it was part of a poi

as far as nuclear rocketry goes, i just want a fast rocket.  from steam at 0.2 tiles/cycle to 2 tiles/cycle of a co2 engine and most rockets end up around 1.2tiles/cycle from me messing around.  i assume we'll get that interplanetary launcher or railgun transport thing in the ingame database but i'd love for a fast and long range taxi service.  and i hope you guys will add the sightseeing modules or a larger spacefarer module, even if it took 2 module slots.  i think that'd be cool if you guys had some modules that used 2 module slots instead of just 1 slot

as far as the hydrogen engine goes, it's so-so.  600w, 9 tile range, 7 modules, and as fast as a petrol engine.  with hydrogen being so plentiful, i like the idea but man is liquid hydrogen difficult to make and i get 120w and an extra module vs a petrol engine.  the range is nice but not required in most cases, maybe once asteroids are cast farther from the starter one but not just yet

oh and battery modules are op.  they don't require ground, 100kj for 3x2 spot, 400j/cycle leak, and the most overpowered feature being they don't generate heat.  i built a rocket pad, two batteries, then deconstructed the rocket pad to test.  only downfall is no automation but they're perfect for solar panel setups

image.png.c2137f658faaf9d5edb3710cb2bc7b8b.png

PS: i think diseases should come back strong but make them infect a whole asteroid as a challenge, even if it's something simple like food poisoning infecting all tiles of a asteroid.  might be better off as a world trait whenever they come back though

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

22 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

The problem with bringing disease back is that it's just another debuff.

Once they get it, they get it. Everything up to that point is a matter of managing exposures. And you are either doing this or your aren't.

If you're already doing this management, then germs are the only interactive aspect of it. If you aren't, then you're treating illnesses.

Which aspect of disease, specifically, do you want to make harder?

Yes, debuffs are weak and you don't even notice them. I when I play on lowest germ resistance and I build hospitals they are not even used. I can ignore this part of research chain and don't even see the difference...  I want something that kicks like angry rhino, something you can't ignore.

Slimelung sounds like something that could potentialy destroy lungs and kill your dupes. Zombies - the same. Severe food poisoning can make someone stuck in their bed for a few days.

I want to have an option to say "please game, let me be scared for my life". I want to feel thrill on a mere thought I must open slime biome. I want medicine to be my salvation, something I pray was researched as soon as possible. I want this part of the game mean something more than being complex logic of doing nothing.

Of course sometimes I'd like to ignore this part and focus not on survival but on industry growing, so the scale in the settings menu sounds really nice for me

• Like 3

Severe allergies...I can see it now, anaphylaxis in duplicants. 

-

It looks like both ingredients need to be discovered for the meds to show up.

-

There's really not a lot written about zombie spores in the game - are dupes not immune to it? Do they not recover from exposure? Or is it the critical exposure that does them in.

I thought that all the doctoring buildings and the doctoring itself was a form of immuno-modulation in the positive direction. 

46 minutes ago, pether said:

I want something that kicks like angry rhino, something you can't ignore.

This sounds like a good custom game setting - it really could be about other healtg afflictions as well - the ease of catching heat stroke, hypothermia, scalding, sunburn, etc.

The whole vitality thing encompasses morale as well, and I can see how being injured or sick could affect this as well.

Further, I think grimy! should lead to a generalized germ source that also is tied in to the cleanliness of the base - basically general susceptibility to allergens, dust, fumes, etc.

Edited by The Plum Gate
emboldened text

Excellent. I had a lot of weird gas stuff happening so hopefully that resolves it. Should be fun to build a hydrogen gas system to make liquid oxygen and then use the liquid oxygen to convert hydrogen gas to liquid until we get supercoolant :)

• GL Happy 1