It's about damn time :D

SpoonyBardIV

Looks like the devs are FINALLY gonna come over here and do some bug-fixing. Quoted directly from the DST 2021 roadmap:

And finally….

This isn’t directly related to Don’t Starve Together, but we thought it would be a good time to mention that we are taking a look at the Original Don’t Starve ports. We’re collecting feedback and will be working with our porting partners to address lingering issues that have been hanging around on various platforms.

One issue we find is a lot of players tend to accept these issues as “known”, and we don’t necessarily always know specifically what kind of issues need to be prioritized because they might not be getting represented in such a way that we fully see them. So if you have specific issues you are frustrated about and feel need to be resolved, now is a good idea to make sure we know about it. We’ll be making posts in the appropriate forums as we shift focus to each port.

We will not likely ever get to a place where Don’t Starve and the DLC have zero bugs but we would like to get the Don’t Starve ports in a better place. This isn’t going to happen overnight as we need to organize and we can’t do everything all at once, but we thought it was worth mentioning that this is something we are working on.

The post specifies "Don't Starve ports". The PC version of DS isn't a port of itself, so I don't think they're going to be doing bug-fixing here. I think this is more about stuff like the seemingly-random save corruption that happens on Nintendo Switch Hamlet, or the shop music playing permanently there.

I hope they do something about the pigs in hamlet giving you taxes. They don’t stop even after you destroy the town hall and they chase you around and stun lock you and can even push you off the map. 

I really hope they fix this. I haven’t played in so long because of this and other bugs. 

On 2/8/2021 at 3:15 AM, MasteroftheTDS said:

I hope they do something about the pigs in hamlet giving you taxes. They don’t stop even after you destroy the town hall and they chase you around and stun lock you and can even push you off the map. 

I really hope they fix this. I haven’t played in so long because of this and other bugs. 

I think they meant only to fix bugs on consoles, not PC :" (

On 2/10/2021 at 2:16 AM, oCrapaCreeper said:

Hamlet is overdue for a bug fix update at least, console ports are probably in worse shape but hamlet itself across all platforms is not in the best shape.

And sw. I hate how land shadows spawn in the sea after being atacked making them be stuck   there. Breaks all the inmersion. Or the volcano bug that makes it never have an eruption

And linking worlds is buggy

On 2/10/2021 at 11:18 AM, MasteroftheTDS said:

I would hope they don’t do that. That would just make The PC version look worse. 

On 2/5/2021 at 9:51 PM, SpoonyBardIV said:

We’re collecting feedback and will be working with our porting partners to address lingering issues

basically they are working with porting partners and taking feedback from users about bugs being faced on them.

so yeah, its bug fixing for ports.

maybe DS will get some exclusive port version now similar to DS mobile in China being its own thing,

Klei is expanding after all.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:15 PM, MasteroftheTDS said:

I hope they do something about the pigs in hamlet giving you taxes.  They don’t stop even after you destroy the town hall and they chase you around and stun lock you and can even push you off the map. 

Sounds realistic to me with my history with Hollywood and Temecula in California.:wilson_ecstatic:

Goodness, I have a bunch of pet peeves with the Switch version. They're not game-breaking necessarily, but they make it really hard for me to enjoy the game properly, and I'd love to see them addressed.

Like for one, there's no zoom function. I don't know about anyone else, but I zoom in/out a lot in the game on PC, so not having that option is quite jarring. I love handhelds, so I play on the Lite, which really fortifies this as an issue (smaller screen).

I'm also not a big fan of how sharp the graphics get at such a zoomed out setting. Some kind of anti-aliasing, or if it's already there having the option to make it stronger would be amazing.

Then there's the controls, while they're pretty alright, I'd really like to see some control customisation, or at least different control schemes.

Another one that's pretty big is how you can swing your weapon/punch in mid air. Makes it super difficult to try and attack stuff if you're slightly out of range, I really wish they just made it so you can't attack unless you're close enough to a target, just like Force Attack in the PC version. I really don't see any reason why this is in the game in the first place.

Finally, and this is really nit-picky, the title screen could use some polishing up. There's so much empty space that I feel like I'm seeing parts of the background image I shouldn't. The buttons are so tiny, which also brings up that anti-aliasing issue I brought up before.

Oh, one more... also super nit-picky, but it seems the pitch for the character voices go a bit too high/a bit too low- I'm pretty sure that there's no pitch shift at all for the voices in the original. Seems Wilson's got quite an unstable voice in this one. :-P

Call me fussy, but as a long time Don't Starve player, these are quite glaring. The switch version really feels rough/unpolished to play to me mainly because of these issues (Not even going into some of the big bugs people have been reporting), which is a shame because I love the Switch and DS. Hopefully they'll think about addressing at least a couple of these!

Archived