Jump to content

So beefalo taming is still same?


Recommended Posts

Im assuming the core mechanic has not changed because they didnt mention it but being able to pick things while riding, map icon, going to caves, through wormholes, and teleportation staff and the beef following the bell in general are huge improvements

If your character has a default dmg modifier (or worse) and no other combat gimmicks id say an ornery beefalo is quite a worthwhile investment especially now that you can take them to caves.

If you start taming early you’ll simultaneously explore the map faster while domesticating a beefalo at the cost of twigs and grass alone without needing to babysit a beefalo in a pen late game and stuff it with dragonpies. Early domestication is now only made better because of the ability to pick things while riding. You practically never have to unmount now. 

in my current world i tamed an ornery by day 28 as Wormwood and i ended up not crafting any weaponry or armor above ground beyond my first spear and football helmet. Only several hundreds of days later when i fought BQ did i use dark swords and armor above ground. I also didnt need any hound defense even past day 200, an ornery can fight off even the biggest of hound waves with some kiting. 

Yall can keep playing spicy chaud froid wolfgang though im gonna have the time of my life bonking depths worms and toadstool with my beefalo :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taming a Beefalo was the last achievement in both Dont Starve and Dont Starve Together that I managed to unlock- Yes, that means I unlocked Wes, Killed Dragonfly, Killed Ancient Guardian, Completed all 5 chapters of DS Adventures mode and unlocked Maxwell, and got that dumb very low percent chance shell armor and head gear at the same time.

There are several reasons WHY Beefalo were the hardest: there were no indications of how close to taming your Beefalo was, You could not identify a Beefalo you were taming from the rest of its horde, you had to actually go to the Beefalo’s location daily and feed it to keep its tame going.

The Introduction of the Cowbell allows you to befriend a Beefalo, not tame.. but Befriend- and it will follow you EVERYWHERE, in Wormholes, in Caves, Back to Base etc... There’s also a craftable structure that you can take your Untamed Beefalo to and dress them up in a outfit so you can easily tell which Beefalo is yours should it wind up near other wild Beefalo.

All of the hard parts of the achievement (knowing which beef was yours, getting it away from its herd, returning back to it daily to make sure it’s fed) all of that is Obsolete now- Because it Follows you & can be customized.

And who knows maybe that’s a good thing: I’ve only ever tamed a Beefalo ONCE in my entire life.... but if they’re supposed to be these Uber powerful mounts that aid in Combat or whatever: Then taming them just got ridiculously easy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ohan said:

Yall can keep playing spicy chaud froid wolfgang though im gonna have the time of my life bonking depths worms and toadstool with my beefalo :lol:

but... couldn't you just combine all that with beefalo if you're playing Wendy, and do something in the neighborhood of 305 damage if buffed up with food and Abigail's damage increase against a wet target? add your dear dead sister's own damage to it, and holy ****, you're not actually that far off from mighty Wolfgang, without constantly stuffing potatoes into your mustache... and you keep the ability to blend enemies into a fine mush with Abigail. (would still moderately suck against Klaus though, since she also blends the deer)

edit: though you still need to shove food down the diarrhea cow's throat, so it's not all that better in that regard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DinsdaleP said:

 

im not certain chaud froid works on beefalos/while riding a beefalo, ive never tried it, also i dont play wendy :roll:. but wendy definitely can hit like a truck with a beefalo thats for sure 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Ohan said:

im not certain chaud froid works on beefalos/while riding a beefalo, ive never tried it, also i dont play wendy :roll:. but wendy definitely can hit like a truck with a beefalo thats for sure 

It works if the player eats it.

 

Also, yeah, the bell is a huge QoL update and a non-event version of it *needs* to stay, along with the skins.

 

I do wish there was some upgrade to the Salt Lick or something though. Needing 4 Nitre every 15 days can get tedious fairly quick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chaud froid gives the electric damage to the beef, however any base damage multiplier to your character does not apply.

 

Also everyone has to know that you absolutely dont need to feed a lot of food to a beefalo you're taming. Being ridden is the exact same thing for his domestication as having a non empty stomach. You can just give him a few twigs here and there for obediance and ride him constantly he will be tamed in 20 days. 

I rush tamed beefalo in 25 days while doing everything I would do without willing to tame (the exception until today was ruin rush because of hard restriction, today it's no problem). It's really not because I'm good or anything, it's just not that time and resource consuming as lot of people say it is.

Also once tamed, brushing him covers the domestication for NOT riding him one entire day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Dechou said:

Chaud froid gives the electric damage to the beef, however any base damage multiplier to your character does not apply.

The 1.54x multiplier Wendy gets from Ghost Petals is not a base damage multiplier though, so it does apply to her beefalo, unlike her innate 0.75x multiplier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The bell seems to be event only. Once the event is over, we're kind of left with only very minor qol touches. I hope klei decides the bell should be base game item. I would like the beefalo skins to be base game content, but you really need to do the pageant to get any of the skins, and the pageant is entire chinese new year event.

I don't know if domestication was touched at all, but it would be nice if domesticated beefalo didn't lose domestication over time. You can spend a few seasons taming just to find your beefalo untamed next season if you are not constantly providing salt licks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Dechou said:

I rush tamed beefalo in 25 days while doing everything I would do without willing to tame (the exception until today was ruin rush because of hard restriction, today it's no problem).

how dangerous is it to ruins rush with an as-of-yet-untamed beefalo, especially when meeting clockworks? because I know one or two damaged rooks can tear an army of merms or Abigail apart in seconds, and if you're not currently riding the beefalo, pretty sure they'll take the same 200 damage each charge... which does not sound like a fun time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

The bell seems to be event only. Once the event is over, we're kind of left with only very minor qol touches. I hope klei decides the bell should be base game item. I would like the beefalo skins to be base game content, but you really need to do the pageant to get any of the skins, and the pageant is entire chinese new year event.

I don't know if domestication was touched at all, but it would be nice if domesticated beefalo didn't lose domestication over time. You can spend a few seasons taming just to find your beefalo untamed next season if you are not constantly providing salt licks.

I mean they implemented the Year of the Pig King stuff into the normal game in a non festive form, it's not far fetched to expect the same this year.

Especially because the Beefalo Bell is a very welcome buff to an existing, non-event mechanic that people have found lackluster for ages.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, landromat said:

So it's still the same. Sad

Read ohans comment. Many qol changes were applied

And having access to beefalos in the caves removes one of the worst problems that was having to craft a bunch of salt licks to prevent being untamed

Taming them still being "easy" and now is less annoyinf with the bell and no needing to unmount to pick stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I mean they implemented the Year of the Pig King stuff into the normal game in a non festive form, it's not far fetched to expect the same this year.

I'd like to point out also that the bell and grooming station are basically the only shrine items that lack the red and gold theme of the Lunar New Year items. The beefalo bell has a bit of gold on it and both items have gold in their recipe, but art-wise they would fit absolutely perfectly outside of the event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Souper said:

Wait, are the features Ohan listed permanent, or are these only a part of the YoTB event?

i dont think anybody knows at this point. but it would be weird if they got removed since they're baseline beefalo functions and not really tied to event activities (you dont need to go to the caves to participate in the event etc). The bell is the key for the cave and wormhole stuff but you can pick while riding without needing the bell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

i dont think anybody knows at this point. but it would be weird if they got removed since they're baseline beefalo functions and not really tied to event activities (you dont need to go to the caves to participate in the event etc). The bell is the key for the cave and wormhole stuff but you can pick while riding without needing the bell.

Well here's to desperately hoping all of these QoL changes are permanent. In my opinion, they were crucially needed in the beefalo department. Beefalo were too annoying to actually even consider (at least for me) within the first year or even the second. I don't tend to play worlds very long, so I've never actually even legitimately tamed/ridden a beeflo, despite doing just about everything else there is to do in the game. But with these changes, I'm pretty sure I'll get a beefalo mount up and running by spring at this point on all my worlds from here on out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bird Up said:

The bell seems to be event only. Once the event is over, we're kind of left with only very minor qol touches. I hope klei decides the bell should be base game item. I would like the beefalo skins to be base game content, but you really need to do the pageant to get any of the skins, and the pageant is entire chinese new year event.

I don't know if domestication was touched at all, but it would be nice if domesticated beefalo didn't lose domestication over time. You can spend a few seasons taming just to find your beefalo untamed next season if you are not constantly providing salt licks.

As long as you build event-specific items during the event they stay in your game after the event ends. Mad science labs and gift wrap, for instance. So as long as you craft a beefalo shrine in the event you should keep access to all the shrine craftables including the bell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...