So beefalo taming is still same?

1 hour ago, JazzyGames said:

As long as you build event-specific items during the event they stay in your game after the event ends. Mad science labs and gift wrap, for instance. So as long as you craft a beefalo shrine in the event you should keep access to all the shrine craftables including the bell.

This is only true though for the worlds where you've crafted the items, sadly. It's great for long term worlds that last lots of IRL time (the structures tab in my world has every shrine since Year of the Pig King!) but it doesn't really mean anything if you like switching worlds frequently or playing on pubs.

4 hours ago, DinsdaleP said:

how dangerous is it to ruins rush with an as-of-yet-untamed beefalo, especially when meeting clockworks? because I know one or two damaged rooks can tear an army of merms or Abigail apart in seconds, and if you're not currently riding the beefalo, pretty sure they'll take the same 200 damage each charge... which does not sound like a fun time.

Two things :

-Blue mushroom heals him for 80 hp (he gets player damage when mounted).

-always unmount - dismount before a fight.

I find the whole process pretty smooth. Beef is god at tanking the bishop, and the heal through blue shrooms is very effective. The other two clockworks are not supposed to ever hit you anyway. Also, make sure you NEVER run out of mount time, make sure to get away and dismount remount if you get close to the timeout.

The fact that you can keep a miner hat / moggles on your head the whole is very profitable.

9 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

This is only true though for the worlds where you've crafted the items, sadly. It's great for long term worlds that last lots of IRL time (the structures tab in my world has every shrine since Year of the Pig King!) but it doesn't really mean anything if you like switching worlds frequently or playing on pubs.

Maybe the event is an experiment of stuff that the player base might enjoy and they will add it like they did with other event stuff

Wasting that many resources on the beefalo skins and just erase it after the event is done is kinda silly but also something similar already happen with cool stuff like clay vargs that, outside of being on pc and using commands, is imposible to add unless you get stuck in that eveny since you create it  chosing it in the world settings

Also naming the beefalo was needed. My friend and me had bad times trying to know which beefalo was our beefalo since he wanted the combat one and me the speed tendency

7 minutes ago, Dechou said:

Two things :

-Blue mushroom heals him for 80 hp (he gets player damage when mounted).

-always unmount - dismount before a fight.

I find the whole process pretty smooth. Beef is god at tanking the bishop, and the heal through blue shrooms is very effective. The other two clockworks are not supposed to ever hit you anyway. Also, make sure you NEVER run out of mount time, make sure to get away and dismount remount if you get close to the timeout.

The fact that you can keep a miner hat / moggles on your head the whole is very profitable.

uhh

projectile attacks hit mounted players directly, not the beef.

"tanking bishop" with a beefalo only means you're going to die especially if you aren't geared up

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

uhh

projectile attacks hit mounted players directly, not the beef.

"tanking bishop" with a beefalo only means you're going to die especially if you aren't geared up

Oh yes you're right I forgot about that. You would need a log suit for that specifically, annoying but not that bad I think. I wonder if normal beef with normal saddle can kite the bishop. Should be doable, I'm gonna make some training in ruin fight with beef without ornery or advanced saddles (for the purpose of ruin rush) and see what good option there is.

So long as the bell stays, this buffed beefalo taming as a whole.

Even if it’s still painfully long and it could have been simplified a bit (IMO), your investment  and patience is now more useful, since you are no longer restricted to 50% of the world and the beefalo will not un-tame while you are gone (as long as you take it with you). As a bonus you can now collect items while mounted!

The bell should definitely stay in the game after the event, and if it does, I can foresee beefalo taming changing the meta for many characters (Wormwood, Maxwell, Walter and Warly to name some)

Does the beefalo that bond with your bell "log out" temporarily while you log out? it will one of the perfect qol for ppl like me taming beefalo in public server.

picking, gathering stuff also make beefalo taming viable and not so tedious anymore in early game, it will be even more perfect if you can order beefalo to eat food on the ground while mounting on it

I love these QOLs

On 2/5/2021 at 4:31 AM, Mike23Ua said:

There are several reasons WHY Beefalo were the hardest: there were no indications of how close to taming your Beefalo was, You could not identify a Beefalo you were taming from the rest of its horde, you had to actually go to the Beefalo’s location daily and feed it to keep its tame going.

Did... Did you not know you can park a beefalo at a salt lick? At your base, away from other Beefalo?

The bell is certainly an improvement and it has to stay after the event, being able to go to the caves with a Beefalo and being able to use wormholes are huge deals.

Being able to pick up items while riding the Beefalo is great too, as it means you'll ride it for longer.

Some previous problems are still there though, it takes too long to be fully tamed, Default and Pudgy tendencies are much harder to get than Ornery and Rider, and Pudgy is still the weakest one overall despite being so much harder to get (Though it's probably easier now after the farming changes).

One thing I've been thinking that it could be cool to be able to do is to feed a Beefalo while you're riding it, maybe be done in a way that's kinda slow, but would still be nice to not need to get down to feed it, maybe it could reset the riding time, but I think being able to feed a Beefalo to heal it while fighting would be nice.

More saddles would be nice too, now that Beefalos can go to caves, maybe the Ancient Station could get some new stuff with Thulecites, and maybe some gems, or maybe a saddle made with Thulecites that can change a Beefalo's stats depending on which gems you put on it, not unlike what you can do with Crab King.

After having played with the new changes a bunch, I'll say beefalo taming was made significantly easier (indirectly), and their uses have become much better.

What makes beefalo taming easier? The bell, and being able to do more actions on them. There's two ways of taming a beefalo - feeding it and riding it.

Feeding the beefalo was made easier by the addition of the Beefalo Bell and the Reap What You Sow update. Now, you can actually produce enough crops to actually tame a beefalo without even using a saddle (though you'll want to do that to get the tendency you want). I've tamed a couple of beefalos already by riding them to get the right tendency, unsaddling them and feeding them pumpkins until they stopped asking for food. I avoided feeding them past that to not turn them to pudgy beefalos.

Riding the beefalo was made easier by the general QoL changes to beefalo riding. Now, you can pick up items and harvest things while mounted. This means there's many more things you can spend the time you need to tame the beefalo doing that don't involve dismounting every minute.
You can go around harvesting twigs and grass to keep your beefalo's obedience up. You can go collect cactus with no damage to yourself. You can go fight stuff and pick up the drops without having to get off. There's so much more you can kill the time with while riding a beefalo to tame it that it doesn't feel nearly as close to a chore as it did before.

Their uses have also been vastly improved by these same changes. The bell lets you bring the beefalo wherever you need it, so you're no longer barred from Wormholes, Lazy Deserters and the Caves. If you actually need to do something that you can't do on top a beefalo, you can be sure that it's impossible for you to lose the beefalo as long as you're holding the bell, so even if you're led a bit far from where you dismounted, the beefalo will still be right beside you.
Beefalo in the caves also has its own implications. A rider beefalo can let you use a lantern while still moving faster than you would with a cane, which frees up your head slot for other items like an Eyebrella or Tam o' Shanter without slowing you down or forcing you to give up your backpack/other chest slot items. In a similar vein, ornery beefalo provide both weapon and armor so you don't need to equip either while fighting down there (though you'll still need armor for bishops/spitters and you'll need to be really careful around rooks because of their damage potential, you can still equip a lantern in your hand slot without missing out on other important items).

Archived