OCD Simple Sulfur Geyser Tamer (Sulfur at 25°C)

Hello friends,

today I share with you my straightforward sulfur geyser tamer. Basically, the following construction will deal with any sulfur geyser, regardless of it's values. Exceptions will be revealed by completely filling the geyser chamber (see 1.) with liquid sulfur. This will not affect the function of the structure in any way.

• Processing 3000g liquid sulfur into 3000g solid sulfur per second.
  • Output temperature is adjustible and can be 25°C or less.
  • The build is not self-sufficient and must be supplied with electricity.

8H7Evha.gif

442630B0F9E3DC18C5C4EDC05DB09575962DDECBDCEE5A8680593556E16A9E52E715B3E1A093CC72

1. Liquid pump made of steel. The room should, but does not have to be, in a vacuum.
  2. Each liquid valves is set to 1000g. Keep them in a vacuum, to avoid overheating.
  3. The heatsink. Radiant liquid pipes: aluminum. Tiles: diamond and aluminum. You can choose materials with less thermal conductivity, for the price of less effective cooling.
  4. The dropbox. The room design is non-binding and can be adapted as required. If the chosen materials match the suggestion at point 3, following applies: obtained sulfur temperature = liquid pipe thermo sensor temperature +~6°C. The mesh tile below the conveyor loader prevents the occasional formation of a natural tile in this place while loading the game (see hints).
  5. The aquatuner must be made of steel. Vacuum and 200kg water in the steam chamber. This results in an uptime of approx. 60%/cycle for the aquatuner and 300-500 W power from the steam turbine (when the geyser is active and the thermo sensor is set to 20°C).
  6. Radiant pipes are necessary as shown. Insulated pipes (igneous rock) should be used from the pump to the liquid valves, the rest is not mandatory. Overflow under the aquatuner. Cooling loop filled with polluted water.

Not shown here, but highly recommended is a liquid reservoir for the cooling loop. Makes the aquatuner activity very even. That's it. Savefile is attached.

Hints

The sulfur in this build will still remain in liquid state till it hits a solid tile and change into debris. If you save the game during the situation on the left, you will find a natural tile in this place when you reload. Under the given circumstances, this will happen to any liquid that should actually be solid. A strange experience for me. Is this known? However, you can avoid this by placing a mesh tile.

XvFDBSQ.jpeg

One last thing: when I set up the build (after a long, trouble-free trial in the sandbox) in my maingame, I noticed something strange that I can't explain. I would be grateful if someone could explain how this can be possible.

See here:

Thanks for your attention!

Kind regards

SULFUR GEYSER DEBUG.sav

Very Nice. 

I really like this bit:

1817584930_Screenshotfrom2021-01-1111-02-54.png.514a83993f4f8aedfd2092e80bb25fa1.png

I've never actually tried that before.  I'm glad to know it works.

Though, I think it may strain the definition of simple :)

Also if you pre-chill with the turbine exhaust water between 2. and 3. you'll get a lot closer to power neutral. Essentially what @nakomaru does here:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/125792-simple-sulfur-tamers-power-positiveneutral/?do=findComment&comment=1413887

42 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

Though, I think it may strain the definition of simple :)

Well, let's call it ocd-simple ^^

46 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

Also if you pre-chill with the turbine exhaust water between 2. and 3. you'll get a lot closer to power neutral.

Thanks for the hint. I will check this out.

10 minutes ago, Yunru said:

You mean like this? :P

I thought more like contactless pumping and pipesplitting for cooling... and using mesh for tilebuildblocking. This tamer build i have already seen. I was only thinking about, if there are other possiblities, cause of the temperature.

34 minutes ago, TripleM999 said:

I wonder, if something conceptional similar would work with niobium geysers...

Yes, it will. Actually it will work with every type of hot liquid (e.g. liquid iron, gold, copper, aluminum, magma...). The structure of the build will be of course different, depending on the liquid.

3 minutes ago, MooChiChi said:

Yes, it will. Actually it will work with every type of hot liquid (e.g. liquid iron, gold, copper, aluminum, magma...). The structure of the build will be of course different, depending on the liquid.

And the trigger/cooling liquid for the pump and the pipes could be a problem maybe... is liquid steel too hot for a thermium pump?

@TripleM999 Maybe you have already seen these too, but @ghkbrew demonstrated a solution that works for 4000K niobium. HeatEngine has made a full example of the same thing, and mukca has made a two stage version as well. (all in the link)857514554_NiobiumVolcanoTamer.png.f8e98d

Niobium is in some sense simpler because the turbine does 98% of the work, so nothing else is needed if you are happy with 98%.

5 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

@TripleM999 Maybe you have already seen these too, but @ghkbrew demonstrated a solution that works for 4000K niobium. HeatEngine has made a full example of the same thing, and mukca has made a two stage version as well. (all in the link)857514554_NiobiumVolcanoTamer.png.f8e98d

Niobium is in some sense simpler because the turbine does 98% of the work, so nothing else is needed if you are happy with 98%.

Now that you mentioned it, i remember. :oops: And even without obscure liquids.

4 hours ago, TripleM999 said:

And the trigger/cooling liquid for the pump and the pipes could be a problem maybe... is liquid steel too hot for a thermium pump?

For volcano tamers I use the pump tricks, see link. Usually with visco gel that goes trough the heat exchange, in turn to keep the pump (in vaccum) chill. The choice of the material is relatively irrelevant, as it will always be in a vaccum for this occasion and will not exchange heat with the liquid (e.g. lead pump for magma possible).

Why does the ops title contain the word simple?

This is a super advanced, super complex, INCREDIBLE not simple setup...

A simple use of it would be just let the liquid sulfur pour out onto enough floor that it cool, then have dupes pick it up. Sure it wouldn't last forever, just a few 1000 cycles.

8 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

A simple use of it would be just let the liquid sulfur pour out onto enough floor that it cool, then have dupes pick it up. Sure it wouldn't last forever, just a few 1000 cycles.

But in this case it wouldn't be a tamer, it would be..., just liquid sulfur pour onto floor. It also wouldn't be cooled, so you can't use it for your plants. Anyway, I changed the title for you :victorious:

Archived