Wagstaff pt.3

So I noticed a lot of people saying "oh he's to similar to Winona"  and that was almost everyone's reasoning to why he shouldn't be in the game.  Other than people wanting him to be the next antagonist.  I got a simple solution Rework him.  Make new inventions,  Add new glasses, Get rid of old inventions like the thumper which according to someone in another forum is "overpowered".  It's not that hard.

I'd prefer if the time it would take to concept/draw/program and bugfix a Wagstaff rework would go into a new character/update instead. Yes, Wagstaff is a cool character, but yes, I do also think Winona (and WX-78) fill his missing shoes well. 

Reworking sounds great in theory, but in practice there are a lot of bumps. 

First and foremost, Wagstaff's core theme is inventions—which just so happens to be Winona's as well. Reworking Wagstaff won't change his core roots, nor will giving him different inventions. I absolutely adore Wagstaff from a lore standpoint, but I'd much prefer more love be given to Winona then needlessly splitting the same niche across two different characters.

There's simply a distinct lack of examples/specific ideas here to change this notion.

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

First and foremost, Wagstaff's core theme is inventions—which just so happens to be Winona's as well. Reworking Wagstaff won't change his core roots, nor will giving him different inventions. I absolutely adore Wagstaff from a lore standpoint, but I'd much prefer more love be given to Winona then needlessly splitting the same niche across two different characters.

There's simply a distinct lack of examples/specific ideas here to change this notion.

The only core mechanic that i think  is viable is about explaining/showing/adding more mechanic that plays on his glitching forms

Another way to make wagstaff not conflict with winona is that winona can only make new structures while wagstaff can make new items. 

Maybe wagstaff can make a worse version of the living armor due to his insights from making WX-78. 

As a curious researcher he could make an item that only works for him to research on items which increase his sanity by 5 when he does that - maybe shows a bit more lore

After researching the materials, whenever he craft items and structures, there is a 5-10% chance for him to use less material for whatever his crafting, but it should be limited to a maximum of 3 reduced material and also if he craft something for example a spear which cost one rope, one flint and 2 twigs, and the bonus chance occurs he can only reduces the material by one twig. 

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Yeah, Wagstaff is technically a hologram.

In single player DS yes- in DST.. he is there for real this time being sucked in during Winona’s animated short. One way or another... Wagstaff has to appear in DST at some point.

For lore and character motif reasons I would want him to be the next antagonist after Klei decides to make Charlie unlockable. 

But- Just because I want him to be the “Bad Guy” does not mean I wouldn’t also enjoy seeing him as Playable: Him being Playable  just wouldn’t be canon with the other survivors. Wagstaff has been using Multiple means of exploring the constant both through WX78 and his Holograms: I think Klei can easily spin some wacky tale where we see Wagstaffs creations trying to Redeem him from Himself.

After all: there is a clear demand for people wanting their favorite DS single player characters to be playable within DST, I keep saying this over and over again but Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff... they each ALREADY have an established fan base of people excitedly wanting to play as them. And for those lucky enough to be on PC- There are already excellent Mods that make each of them playable, But for those of us playing on Consoles the only way we’re ever going to get to enjoy those 6 missing Klei officially created DS characters, is if they decide to add them to DST as official game content.

Thats my thoughts, but please OP: You don’t need to create multiple threads on the same subject. As much as I would absolutely LOVE to see DST become compatible with Shipwrecked & Hamlet expansion packs- I don’t spam Klei’s forums with multiple threads about it: If it’s meant to happen it’ll happen, until then we’re just repeating ourselves like a broken record that’s skipping over & over again. In the end I trust in Klei’s work & know they will always deliver quality content to their fans. 
Perhaps we will get a 2021 roadmap reveal when we get the next update Year of the Beefalo? :wilson_love:

Okay, another new theme has been created. Probably, here I will share my thoughts on how to rework the character. I know that not everyone will appreciate it, but I think it's at least more interesting and better than saying that he's a copy of Winona. (It seems to me that with proper attention, it can be made into a completely different character according to the game mechanics. But I don't really want that, I like his nature as an inventor.)

His glasses:
- Spectoggles (they're pretty good in this form as well);
- Infroggles (I would increase their validity period, rework the color scheme a little, and then too bright, added the ability to also detect Peculiar Objects, but considering mobs. After killing a mob, you will receive this item.)
- Visor (I think it's fine. But it can be done as a full set of armor. That is, add not only this type of glasses, but also a body type of protection.)
- Fryfocals (This is the weakest kind of glasses. He needs to increase the number of uses to at least 20. Also add a function such as heating, so that Wagstaff maintains the temperature and does not freeze in winter, but can overheat in summer and autumn.)
- Another new kind of glasses that I would add. I call them "Glasspoiles". These are glasses that allow you to get more loot from everything. To get more loot from mobs or other you will have to explore it, but it can do this from a distance, but it takes much longer than up close. Well, of course their creation will be very expensive. And this type of glasses cannot increase the number of unique items, for example, the number of Deerclops Eyeball.

Disadvantages:
- Wagstaff is nearsighted, which means that without his goggles he is unable to see beyond 4 units of distance. Outside of his line-of-sight, everything will appear blurry. When hovering over a blurry object with the cursor, the object will be given a random name. He has a set of examination quotes just for blurry objects, all variations on how he cannot determine what the object is. Staying warm and keeping sanity up may be difficult as goggles take up the head slot and are required to be worn at all times if the player wants to see clearly. (I'm not going to change anything here.);
- He also has a "delicate stomach", and will take 3 damage from eating raw or dried Food. (I would increase this penalty from eating raw food to losing 5 health points and 5 sanity points. Cooked Food that has a yellow level of spoilage takes away only 3 hp, red takes away 10 hp. Eating rot now takes 10 hp and 10 sanity points. The negative effects of eating monster meat will be increased by 30%.);

Feature:
- Wagstaff is distorted by the loss of vitality. You can make it so when it is distorted that some damage it will absorb at 100%, like a bone armor. The negative effect of this is that the longer he is in this state, the faster he forgets all the learned recipes of things from all the tabs, if he opened them, and slowly begins to lose his mind;

Inventions:
- Telebrella (I would slightly change the craft of this thing, adding gears there as a necessary component. Adding such features as the fact that during the rain, this umbrella will not be able to work and teleport you. Otherwise, it's fine.);
- Telepad (I would add one annoying feature to it, like the attraction of lightning is stronger than a lightning rod. If it gets hit by lightning, it breaks down and does not receive the signal from Telebrella. To fix it requires gears.);
- Thumper (I would have revised it completely or not added it to the game. And if you add it, then you need to make it mobile, but reduce the range.);
- My new invention. I'm call it "Bye-radio-bye". This thing will scare away all creatures. In a sufficiently large radius of operation of this mechanism, sounds will confuse creatures, and they will not approach you. This also works for bosses, but if you engage them, they will ignore these sounds and attack you. This device will help protect your base from intruders or clear areas where there are a lot of crowds of monsters. The effect of this mechanism does not apply to mechanical chess, shadows.
- And I would also add an analog to lazy forager. I call it "Stuff detector". This device is placed in hand slot, and by aiming at a distant object, it grabs it and transfers it to your inventory.

And one more feature:
Wagstaff could improve Winona's inventions, improve some of the devices from the science tab. Wagstaff could also have done the blueprints himself. This would make it easier not to go to the ruins once again, because you have a blueprint that he can use like the others, but only for 1 time, and then the character will forget it again.

Yes, not everything is thought out and painted exactly, but this is a generalized possible version of its rework.

30 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

would you like it if there was a skin that just turned Winona into Wagstaff and gave her his voice

Not really,  I would rather play as a character that actually has at least a little challenge.  Plus playing as Winona isn't fun at all,  for me at least.  She has 2 strong buffs,  her own crafting tab(Where only 1 invention is actually useful), a cheap sewing kit that she spawns with,  and a debuff that almost isn't even there.  She pretty much doesn't even have a debuff.

This again? Lol

No, I don't think they should add Wag. If they were to "rework him", they should just make a new exclusive character for DST instead.

(But if they bring Wag, they must as well bring Wheeler.)

Before anything: I love Wag and would love to play as him in DST. But it just doesn't feel right.

I feel like adding Wagstaff to DST would kind of soil his whole purpose: To be a character added to all versions of DS out of appreciation for the people still playing it. Having him in DST too (where he would definitely get new mechanics and uses, like Wormwood always is) would make that gesture feel retroactively empty.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

I feel like adding Wagstaff to DST would kind of soil his whole purpose: To be a character added to all versions of DS out of appreciation for the people still playing it. Having him in DST too (where he would definitely get new mechanics and uses, like Wormwood always is) would make that gesture feel retroactively empty.

Yeah I get what your saying but- he was officially pulled into the constant during Winona’s animated short, so one way or another... Wagstaff has to make an appearance in DST at some point- be it playable character, main villain whatever- he HAS to be there.. unless Klei just writes him off as constant time is Wonky as heck and Us seeing Wagstaff pulled in during Winona’s short lands him in DS Solo time and Era: and Winona however lands much later.

The only plot hole here is CHARLIE shes already in the portal staring at Winona so this means one of two things:

1-Wagstaff has officially been pulled into the DST version of the constant Thats being controlled by Charlie during Winona’s Short.

Or.. 2- Years in the constant is only a matter of seconds in real world time and all that crap that happened between Maxwells Reign, Wilson’s sacrifice and Charlie’s takeover while years in constant time... was only a matter of seconds in real world time.

These are what I think could be Klei priorities, in this particular order.

1) Add new content and lore to the general game, and new skins to keep the game's development funded
2) Add more life/NPCS/weather/rewards to the sea so it's not barren or unrewarding.
3) Q.O.L. updates, because we all love those. Yearly event updates are great too (Like year of the beefalo coming soon)
4) Webber's rework! maybe sprinkled by other reworks here and there.
5) Fix broken stuff like Wurt's bazillion bugs and oversights, or Wigfrid's useless "fireproof falsetto"
6) Add new stuff to Winona so she's finally fun to stay as.
7) Have a nice sandwich, yknow, one of those sandwiches that already make you happy from looking at it.
8) Spend some time with the family, and some well earned rest for a hard day's work.
9) Frown at the people making lewd memes at the forums
10) Make memes of your own
11) Keep calling Netflix for that DS animated series
12) Have a laugh at the company's barbeque
(...)
164) Learn to craft potato cups
(...)
1796) Add Wagstaff as a playable character to DST

On 1/5/2021 at 11:24 PM, Zeklo said:

Winona's niche is automating murder, and none of Wagstaff's abilities do anything like that. But even if by "niche" you mean "looks kinda similar" (Of which Maxwell/Wickerbottom, Wolfgang/Wigfrid, Wilson/Webber all fit into), his goggles are absolutely nothing like Winona's structures. If he was reworked to focus more on the goggles aspect he'd have about as much in common with Winona as she does with Wigfrid.

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

Winona's niche is automating murder, and none of Wagstaff's abilities do anything like that. But even if by "niche" you mean "looks kinda similar" (Of which Maxwell/Wickerbottom, Wolfgang/Wigfrid, Wilson/Webber all fit into), his goggles are absolutely nothing like Winona's structures. If he was reworked to focus more on the goggles aspect he'd have about as much in common with Winona as she does with Wigfrid.

That's not the issue. The problem is more like a Webber/Wurt situation. Both of them are themed around being monsters who build up armies. They play vastly different, but the overlap of niche is bothersome.

Winona's only notable perk is her Catapults, yes, but she has spotlights and duct tape too.
She literally worked in Wagstaff's factory for a smidge. They share a lot in common for a reason.

You can do whatever you like with the execution but there is an apparent theming overlap. There's barely anything you can give Winona, that wouldn't make just as much sense giving Wagstaff. And vice versa. Sure, there's Wagstaff's goggles, but I'd venture to say the Thumper & Telipad are much closer to being his signature perks than his marginally useful goggle alternatives.

I personally like the idea above about limiting Winona to structures & Wagstaff to items. It doesn't change my main qualm on theme, but it at least helps further distinguish them.

Archived