[Game Update And Holiday Notes] - 445422

• Developer

image.png

Hello friends!

Today we're putting out a patch with new worldgen in it, allowing you to start on a version of the Terra Asteroid from the base game reimagined as a cluster of smaller worlds, as well as spreading some random geysers around both clusters. We still consider Terra to be the "Default" ONI experience and we're glad to be getting all the old biomes back into the game.

This will be the last content update before the holidays (not counting bug fixes), so I want to let you know a bit more about what's happening next in the new year. As always, this is not a complete roadmap for the entirety of the DLC (especially with regards to Radiation systems), just what we're looking at for the beginning of next year.

Continuing to Expand the Cluster

There's still a lot of work to do to worldgen and clustergen before Spaced Out! is ready for launch. We've been focusing on the three "core" Planetoids up until now, but are starting to turn our attention towards the outer Planetoids -- their design and resource distribution (especially making sure all resources are available and various paths to sustainability are supported). We'll need to see just how many there are and where they sit in the cluster map!

Of course, in order to enable the gameplay around this, we'll be building out the next phase of rocketry. This includes porting over many of the original rocket modules to the new system, as well as adding a few new modules to deal with the new challenges of the cluster map.

Getting the full breadth of gameplay into the cluster is our first goal, and a little bit later we'll add back in more randomization, traits, starts (including a "classic start" big world) and so forth.

Unifying Spaced Out! with the Base Game

We're making lots of quality-of-life improvements and bug fixes in Spaced Out!, and it's always been our plan to bring the two versions of the game together so that when someone is playing on the base version of Oxygen Not Included, they'll be playing on the latest and greatest version of the game, regardless of whether they own the DLC. However, because of the fundamental changes to the code that we've made for Spaced Out!, there's still a lot of work to do to make the two versions of the game unified.

The result is that the base game is "frozen" on the old code, and some time in the future when the new code is ready to support both the DLC and the base game we will have a major update to the base game (with a proper preview period of course) to bring in all the new features. (This will also solve having to re-download the game when you switch DLC on and off.)

Sometime before we launch, all players will be playing on the same version of the game, with DLC content and features being toggled on and off from the main menu.

Mods

We've been taking a closer look at getting mods going, but there are issues in both the modding pipeline and in mod installs between the base game and Spaced Out! that we won't be able to resolve in time for the holidays.

Sometime after the holidays, we'll open a testing branch with fixes to the mod system. From that point on, modders will be able to use the "archive versions" in the mod system to allow both base game and DLC mods to exist in the same workshop download, and later on once the two versions of the game are unified, there will be an explicit setting in the mod config to allow supporting one, the other, either, or both versions of the game in the same download.

Translation mods work a little differently, and our goal is to create a single .pot file which contains all possible strings for both the base game and DLC. Translators will be able to just translate the Spaced Out! version of the template and it will work in all versions of the game. Until then, it will be necessary to have two versions of the translation in the workshop to deal with incompatibilities.

… And Beyond!

This is not a complete roadmap, but there have been a lot of specific questions in the forums that we wanted to provide answers to before we take a break. We'll continue updating you about our goals as we continue updating the game, and as always: Thank you so much for your feedback, bug reports, and suggestions!

If you’re interested in a light outline of the future plans for Spaced Out!, you can check out the early access launch post.

Talk to you next year.

Patch Notes for Afternoon Hotfix 445422

• Fix crash on Linux when loading or starting a new game

Patch Notes for 445375

New:

• Added Terra Cluster as a new starting option
  • Switched Terra Cluster to be first in the list
  • Added some random geysers to the inner cluster non-start worlds
  • Added a new Liquid Sulfur Geyser

Changes and Fixes:

• Added Plug Slugs and Sweetles to care packages
  • Changed the composition of the barren biome in the Swamp starting planetoid, and added volcanoes
  • Re-added the Early Access message at the beginning of the game
  • First pass planetoid description/name revisions
  • New art hooked up on the cluster select screen
  • Fix crash when entering an invalid number for Coordinates on the cluster select screen
  • Another crashfix for when habitat modules are destroyed

View full update

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Big Ups 2
  • GL Happy 5

Happy Holiday :excitement::biggrin-new::adoration: !!!

Creating one big map was a great decision, it makes colony switching super fast and in that way all the game stuff in the entire map can be super optimized over time - A bold move which required balls, the game will be great.

"Sometime before we launch, all players will be playing on the same version of the game, with DLC content and features being toggled on and off from the main menu." -> Superb :bee::bee::bee:

Edited by babba
  • Like 1

Alright. I was kinda hoping for one or two new things. But i guess stability is the better road to head towards the holidays.

22 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

some random geysers around both clusters.

Could we maybe get some kind of illustration on what you are calling inner or outer, first or second, start or endgame cluster? Are the first 3 asteroids the inner cluster? Or the map as we see it right now?

Are you thinking about it as tiered groups of asteroids (similar to the classic telescope map) or is it more like a circular ladder where each asteroid is the next step to progress further?

You are using the term alot and you seem to have a quite definitive semantic for it, while for us (read: me) it seems to be a bit too fuzzy to get a more wholesome picture.

New:

• Added Terra Cluster as a new starting option
  • Switched Terra Cluster to be first in the list
  • Added some random geysers to the inner cluster non-start worlds
  • Added a new Liquid Sulfur Geyser

Awesome! Those will spice up the game just fine.:D

Changes and Fixes:

• Added Plug Slugs and Sweetles to care packages

Thanks for listening. <3

Enjoy your vacation days! Stay safe, stay home, stay healthy and see you next year!:D

P.S.: It might not be a big deal, but the update is marked as a hotfix:

grafik.png.b2d807844d272c5ee72d8e9807e0bfb5.png

21 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hello friends!

P.P.S.: https://youtu.be/tRfKdNxIOcQ?t=6:cower:

Edited by blash365
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

First pass planetoid description/name revisions

o.o ohh i hope 1-2 of mine made it in! ;p

20 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

(including a "classic start" big world) and so forth.

nice

Have a wonderful holiday, guys! Take a well deserved rest, and thank-you for the content to tide us over in the meantime. Alot of eager beavers out here, anxious to grind their teeth down on some new material. Happy New Year, and all the best to come.

Edited by Slvrsrfr

On 12/15/2020 at 10:36 AM, blash365 said:

My first game had a planet in it called "iv" or "ni". I take it you had a better suggestion?:)

hang on.. :)

forums are horribly slow today or is it me?

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/123743-new-colony-names/?do=findComment&comment=1394454

admittedly some are better than others, not all of them are winners.. :)

On 12/15/2020 at 10:47 AM, blash365 said:

Not a fan of all of them as some of them (e.g. "Pacu Fishtank") are a bit generic.

I included some more generic ones in hopes they might get included. Breadcrumbs.... :)

Edited by Slvrsrfr

3 minutes ago, Slvrsrfr said:

Wait! There is an SO feedback subforum? When did that appear?!

At first glance "Bogwater Bayou" is certainly one of my favorites. Not a fan of all of them as some of them (e.g. "Pacu Fishtank") are a bit generic. But then again, i would mind encountering them ingame.

What i am missing a bit in the long run (not that we have a good planetoid for it yet) are some names that either seem outlandish ("swisshhhhhhh", "ol'rak'tal", "örss") or technological ("Fractal VII", "Technodrom Mark FFB12C" , Farbenreit 1984").

Edited by blash365

• Developer
1 hour ago, blash365 said:

Could we maybe get some kind of illustration on what you are calling inner or outer, first or second, start or endgame cluster? Are the first 3 asteroids the inner cluster? Or the map as we see it right now?

Are you thinking about it as tiered groups of asteroids (similar to the classic telescope map) or is it more like a circular ladder where each asteroid is the next step to progress further?

You are using the term alot and you seem to have a quite definitive semantic for it, while for us (read: me) it seems to be a bit too fuzzy to get a more wholesome picture.

When you start a new game you are choosing a cluster to play. A cluster consists of everything on the Starmap and there is only one per game. It's conceptually divided into the inner and outer cluster but this is not expressed anywhere in game. This makes reading the patch notes slightly confusing.

The inner cluster or "core" refers to the first three planetoids: the start planetoid, the closest planetoid to the start we internally call the "rocket" planetoid, and the "warp" planetoid connected via the Teleporter Transmitter. They are designed to work together.

The other planetoids make up the outer cluster and are smaller and more singular in purpose. Once we add late game rocketry they will be moved further away from the start so the separation between the inner and outer cluster will be more obvious. This could change as we continue to work through the cluster design.

some random geysers around both clusters.

This means we added random geysers to not only the new Terra Cluster but also the Swamp Cluster. They spawn on the "rocket" and "warp" planetoids in case you're wondering.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Big Ups 3

I have to agree with Sebastiangperez there.

Getting two different crashes, one for resuming a game from just prior to the update and one for the new game.

Crash for new game: 

Crash for loading game: 

Edit: Both crashes were resolved with the single typo fix that was provided in the New Game bug report link. Was able to load into my game from before this version just fine after applying that fix as well as create a new game.

Edited by Tellik
  • Sad 1

It`s really great that you gave detail information out, it makes the future of the game so much clearer. When I wake up I can play Terra, that`s awesome :eagerness::biggrin-new::cheerful::chunky::adoration::excitement: The day all rockets are back, will be Glory Day I. Mods working will be Glory Day I.5

The day the reactorz and radiationz are in the game will be Glory Day II. The day both versions are unified is Total Glory 4ever !

:bee::bee::bee:@Ipsquiggle

Edited by babba

31 minutes ago, EricKlei said:

When you start a new game you are choosing a cluster to play. A cluster consists of everything on the Starmap and there is only one per game. It's conceptually divided into the inner and outer cluster but this is not expressed anywhere in game. This makes reading the patch notes slightly confusing.

Much appreciated (read with british pronounciation).

So as a sidenote i take from it that there wont be more (at least not significantly more) planetoids than we are already seeing, but they will simply be spread further apart in the final dlc (maybe making room for something else? like a blackhole, a death star, a Dupe-build Space station (e.g. DS-9) or space weather:D).

• Like 1
  • GL Happy 1

2 hours ago, EricKlei said:

The inner cluster or "core" refers to the first three planetoids: the start planetoid, the closest planetoid to the start we internally call the "rocket" planetoid, and the "warp" planetoid connected via the Teleporter Transmitter. They are designed to work together.

Can you guys also add a cluster that's designed to be hard, without a teleporter?

• Big Ups 1
  • Potato Cup 1

This all sound very good to me, especially the plans, but also the additions for the end of the year. In particular, I like this bit:

5 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Getting the full breadth of gameplay into the cluster is our first goal, and a little bit later we'll add back in more randomization, traits, starts (including a "classic start" big world) and so forth.

With a "classic start", end-game up to now can become "mid game" in the DLC. Sure, there will not be any actual need to expand, but I am quite satisfied to let my drive to explore take care of that.

• Like 1

and later on once the two versions of the game are unified

Can you expand on what exactly you mean by unified here?  Will the base game and DLC version share the exact same code base, and just have certain parts of code locked out / no assets distributed without the DLC?  Or will it be less unified than that?

I ask because sharing the same code would make modding far, far easier.  Needing to maintain two versions of every mod is not a fun proposition.  And if we get more DLC in a couple years, that just scales...

Also, if you have to make changes to the modding system anyways right now, would you consider taking suggestions from the modding community?  There are a ton of changes - small and large, that would improve our experience making mods, and end users' experiences with using mods.  To be honest, the modding support has felt very bare bones, and I think you could see a lot more modding (which adds value to the game) with some improvements.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AzeTheGreat said:

Can you expand on what exactly you mean by unified here?  Will the base game and DLC version share the exact same code base, and just have certain parts of code locked out / no assets distributed without the DLC?  Or will it be less unified than that?

I would say, he was quite specific already. "Same version of the game" = "same code". "DLC features toggled on and off" = "certain parts of code locked out"

6 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Sometime before we launch, all players will be playing on the same version of the game, with DLC content and features being toggled on and off from the main menu.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I would say, he was quite specific already. "Same version of the game" = "same code". "DLC features toggled on and off" = "certain parts of code locked out"

Or did they mean reaching QOL feature parity between the versions?

7 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

We're making lots of quality-of-life improvements and bug fixes in Spaced Out!, and it's always been our plan to bring the two versions of the game together

You're just making an assumption, they didn't say anything explicit about the code base.