Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Both old and new

Electro Slugs

Metal diet is the reason I will never even touch them. Ever. Even on maps with metal abdurance. They are simply not viable for farming. First thing I do when i see one  is kill all slugs, so they won't eat precious metal. No matter what they produce, metal diet will outweight anything positive they may have. 

Airborne critter bait

Who ever used that? I mean it is ages and ages easier to wait for an egg and just hatch airborne critter than to assemble a path of this useless buildings. It is maybe THE most useless building in the game.

Bath tub

trying to fit into that tiny interval of temperatures is, in my experience, never worth the effort.

Grilling skill

It is just lacking. Even mid-game you can produce so many food that even with 0 cooking you can supply almost every base. It is not even a requirement for Gas Stove

Lack of early-to-mid energy generation

You are either stuck with hamster wheels or forced to rely on geysers, because coal or wood are not guaranteed in most biomes or are wasted in a few cycles. There are no intermediate power generation options. Slugs eat metal, so are worthless. Petroleum and natural gas are late-game solutions.

Sweetle and Gubgrub

They eat Slphur. The end. Limited resource and unsustainable critter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Lack of early-to-mid energy generation

You are either stuck with hamster wheels or forced to rely on geysers, because coal or wood are not guaranteed in most biomes or are wasted in a few cycles. There are no intermediate power generation options. Slugs eat metal, so are worthless. Petroleum and natural gas are late-game solutions.

1 NG Geyser can easily carry you through midgame. That's how i managed on almost every vanilla map. Midgame.

With the absence of meteors Solar power is currently midgame as well. Midgame.

Coal isnt abundant, but can still carry you through a huge part of the game. If you tame hatches, you might even sustain it a bit. Midgame.

There are etanol pools around the world. If you harvest them, you can burn them for energy. Midgame.

Not saying that the slugs are perfect. But your point is still a bit flawed.

 

4 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Sweetle and Gubgrub

They eat Slphur. The end. Limited resource and unsustainable critter.

Sulfur is sustainable by an oil -> NG cooker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love the slugs, played an alpha run for 300 cycles before a game bug with rovers killed the run. Fed them the whole time and no issues with metal. And that's only using metal from the starting asteroid. There's so much free copper on the surface. Same with sulfur and the sweetness. I had a full pen of sweetles and a second full pen of grubgrubs, still had 100s of tons of sulfur leftover without even digging out most of the base.

Given all the additional resources on other asteroids that's easily 1000s of cycles of supplies, will beyond where I'll get bored of a run.

 

Not everything has to be a perfect renewable system, I know a lot of players strive for a fully self sustained base, but some of us like having fun toys to play around with, and adapting as those nonrenewables start to run low.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the sweetles are the new/poor man's shove voles.  starvation ranched, they produce two eggs and then the grubgrubs can give 50% growth to arbor tree branches.  imo, theyre awesome but sulphur is hard to produce and makes sour gas boiler necessary

the cooking skill is kinda lacking.  at max, it doubles cooking speed so 1 good cook = 2 crap cooks.  1 cook can probably satisfy a large base (+20) but same could be said for a farmer now that farming skill affects fertilizer duration

i found airborne critter bait good for automating the movement of pufts.  automation and critter sensor + bait = simple dupeless traps

plug slugs are crap after early game but at early game, 15kg/cycle for 115kj when my base only used about 100kj early game?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Grilling skill

It is just lacking. Even mid-game you can produce so many food that even with 0 cooking you can supply almost every base. It is not even a requirement for Gas Stove

I disagree. Ever tried supplying 6 or 9 dupes with a single cook?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Electro Slugs

You know you don't actually have to feed them?

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Airborne critter bait

Yea, this and the fish trap are useless.

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Bath tub

You don't actually have to keep it in a narrow temperature range.  The bigger problem with it is the long usage and lack of need for the morale after all of the easier sources.

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Grilling skill

It's not a requirement for the gas stove, but it sure cuts down on how much gas you burn and power you use.  High grilling skill + a light makes quite a difference.

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Lack of early-to-mid energy generation

Hydrogen?  Whenever I get a SPOM set up I have more power than I know what to do with.

2 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Sweetle and Gubgrub

You don't actually have to feed them.  I do hope they add sulfur as a byproduct of the oil refinery though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Metal diet is the reason I will never even touch them. Ever. Even on maps with metal abdurance. They are simply not viable for farming. First thing I do when i see one  is kill all slugs, so they won't eat precious metal. No matter what they produce, metal diet will outweight anything positive they may have. 

my old swamp map has 50 tons of cobalt after copious spending of it...spending a couple tons of that on slugs really wont hurt you, i swear...

3 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Who ever used that? I mean it is ages and ages easier to wait for an egg and just hatch airborne critter than to assemble a path of this useless buildings. It is maybe THE most useless building in the game.

i agree with this, I wish that the airborne critter bait wrangled the critter upon it falling for it, to compete with just spamming critter dropoff...

3 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Bath tub

trying to fit into that tiny interval of temperatures is, in my experience, never worth the effort.

OxygenNotIncluded_ExLDiiIC4l.pngOxygenNotIncluded_GlIr7z5bFs.png

something you will come to learn with ONI is that there is a solution to practically any problem...hot tubs become infinitely more manageable if you put them in a small amount of liquid to increase their thermal capacity. I run hot tubs every colony that has chlorine vents because it is so easy...

 

3 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Grilling skill

It is just lacking. Even mid-game you can produce so many food that even with 0 cooking you can supply almost every base. It is not even a requirement for Gas Stove

I agree that the grilling skill is lacking, but not for this reason at all...i think the cuisine skill doesnt make big enough of an impact on cooking speed, the absolute max is only i believe 100% extra speed....

3 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Lack of early-to-mid energy generation

You are either stuck with hamster wheels or forced to rely on geysers, because coal or wood are not guaranteed in most biomes or are wasted in a few cycles. There are no intermediate power generation options. Slugs eat metal, so are worthless. Petroleum and natural gas are late-game solutions.

you outright refuse to use one of the power options and then complain about lack of power options....

3 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Sweetle and Gubgrub

They eat Slphur. The end. Limited resource and unsustainable critter.

my friend...have you ever heard of sour gas boilers?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gurgel said:

I disagree. Ever tried supplying 6 or 9 dupes with a single cook?

I support 30 dupes on 0 cooks because lettuce is the best food evar

5 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Electro Slugs

...No matter what they produce, metal diet will outweight anything positive they may have.

Idk what sorcerous methods you use to play, but in every game of ONI I've ever done, I'd trade metal for electricity in a heartbeat. Especially if you're on a Wasteland asteroid with all that free refined iron lying around. I haven't started a Spaced Out game yet so idk if Wasteland biomes are still available early, but if they are, there's your use-case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Tsabo said:

Especially if you're on a Wasteland asteroid with all that free refined iron lying around. I haven't started a Spaced Out game yet so idk if Wasteland biomes are still available early, but if they are, there's your use-case.

Yeah, that's the problem. You haven't played Spaced Out so you missed the part where it's metal *ORE* that is what the Plugslug's eat. Refined metal is useless for Plugslugs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, beowulf2010 said:

Yeah, that's the problem. You haven't played Spaced Out so you missed the part where it's metal *ORE* that is what the Plugslug's eat. Refined metal is useless for Plugslugs. 

If it's metal ORE they eat then your complaint makes even less sense because metal ore is vastly more plentiful than Wasteland refined metal.

You maybe had a case if they ate refined. If they eat non-refined then I really don't know what you're complaining about, it's an extremely abundant resource which requires no processing. You'll be complaining that stone hatches eat your limited igneous supplies next.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Tsabo said:

You'll be complaining that stone hatches eat your limited igneous supplies next.

Ummm, igneous rock is unlimited via at least volcanoes and melting regolith. 

And refined metal is also unlimited via metal volcanoes and meteors (once they get turned back on). 

At this time, metal ores are a non-renewable, finite substance thus, at some point, you will run out of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lbphero said:

Bath tub

Hot tubs are to be made out of steel, never gold amalgam. They can then be air-cooled with some radiant piping behind, of course. Now bleach stone is the killer of this toy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gurgel said:

Ah, so you mean the cooking skill is "useless to you", not "useless in general". I can accept that.

No-one asked whether it was useful in general, you asked "Ever tried supplying 6 or 9 dupes with a single cook?", to which the answer is yes, and more, easily.

Furthermore, I'll contend that lettuce is indeed generally the best food source due to its massive calorie output, much lower ramp-up time than ranching, and critically its near-imperviousness to heat death. So yes I will indeed bite that bullet that the cooking skill is useless in general.

But I am a n00b, so maybe there's some hidden long-term deathtrap in lettuce I'm not yet privy to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Ummm, igneous rock is unlimited via at least volcanoes and melting regolith. 

And refined metal is also unlimited via metal volcanoes and meteors (once they get turned back on). 

At this time, metal ores are a non-renewable, finite substance thus, at some point, you will run out of it. 

Where are you getting regolith from on the DLC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Lbphero said:

I agree in the sense that as it stands in the DLC right now, chlorine vents don't exist, so bleach stone cannot be renewed. It's too bad, squeaky pufts are fun to ranch! :butterfly:

I'm getting squeaky on the updated RNG, second rock(terra seed). They are in the Rust Biome.

And I want to make my Hottub work at some point! :)

image.thumb.png.f167a8d88b4930fbd78a7091dd7157d3.png

15 hours ago, Lbphero said:

if you put them in a small amount of liquid to increase their thermal capacity. I

oh, i see it's sitting in fluid. On the floor I see it now...never had one of those before...

I'm never much on placing decor and stuff, on the typical. I rarely get far enough to justify it. But, the hottub for me is special. How can anyone be denied some hottub time, I mean..... :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Steve8 said:

But rust is not renewable! You will run out of rust after thousands of cycles of hot tubbing! :roll: :lol:

WORTH IT!!!! i wish i had a bathtub in the apt.. I miss soaking SOOOOOO bad...

i can live vicariously thru my dupes

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...