21 hours ago, bryce325 said:

Slugs in a room with no metal will in turn eat no metal and still produce energy.

Yes, that make slugs useful.

However I don't think they are meant to work like this.

An animal works a whole life, producing energy without eating anything, and manages to lay an egg before it starve, which will hatch into another slug who will still be able to work a whole life and lay its egg before it starve, without eating anything.

I must explain i think.

Slugs

The fact that you can use them for starve-farming means the are even more broken than I though before. Look at smooth hatches, who ever use them for metal refinement? I do complain about lack of early energy options at the same time complaining about early game source. Because if my eyes and by my personal opinion building another hamster wheel is more cost effective than wasting metal on slugs. Remember - we have only swamp now with cobalt abdurance available and I remember very well sessions in biomes with SEVERE metal shortages. Appealing to starvation farming is like appealing to heat deletion bugs in my opinion.

Sulphur boiling

Sure you can boil sulphur out of oil but why should I do it? To get some eggs? Late game? Game have way way more options, much easier options, to generate food, than to build a sour boiler+cooling installation to et omelette+sugar. It is not so about sustainability is it more about cost-output balance.

Another example:

Refrigerator

Devs "fixed" it so now it won't work if not powered. What this decision resulted in? Exacctly. Now there's no reason to build refrigerator, because food box in carbon preserves food with minimum effort and building made expecially for preserving food - does not. The problem was that people built it as more space-effective vertical food box to be placed in CO2 pit. That is the pinnacle of bad and faulty design.

Fertilizer sinth

It requires so much - polluted water, dirt, phosphorite. And the output - fertilizer.ююерфе is rendered near worthless due to constant "food inflation" further the game progresses.

Art skill tree

Why would you ever do art until you reach final skill? Stress is not that much of a problem and manageable even in severe conditions and stress options. Why would you assign dupe to paint with 1 or 2 levels of creativity skill tree? lvl3 gurantees you a masterpiece and you can have ONE dupe to decorate entire asteroid. You can have many diggers, many builders, researches, farmers even cooks, but you never need more than one decorator. Even with something like +9 creativity rare bonus it is never worth taking.

2 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Regolith is still in the base non-DLC game and we can safely assume that meteor showers will return in some form on some/most/all asteroids. 

Not convinced, the current rocket system doesn't seem designed for placement of meteor defences, and that would just return to a rush for steel. I don't think you're gonna see regolith in any large quantities worth making a melter for, I hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, Galifrey1965 said:

Not convinced, the current rocket system doesn't seem designed for placement of meteor defences, and that would just return to a rush for steel. I don't think you're gonna see regolith in any large quantities worth making a melter for, I hope I am wrong.

Having played through a good chunk of the normal ONI early access, including the time before space and rockets, I seriously doubt they will keep all asteroids meteor free nor will they keep rockets as currently implemented. We'll get more features and more "dangers" to work around. 

8 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

Having played through a good chunk of the normal ONI early access, including the time before space and rockets, I seriously doubt they will keep all asteroids meteor free nor will they keep rockets as currently implemented. We'll get more features and more "dangers" to work around. 

Hope so, as I prefer vanilla right now :D And I have played through the Alpha as well.

Archived