Fun Webber Rework Idea

I was told to post my idea here but I was thinking of a fun idea of how Webber could be reworked and it pretty much involves big inspiration from the Pikmin series. I drew some quick pictures to help explain or visualize my ideas because I'm not very good at being articulate.

Spider Backpack

I honestly don't expect this to be a reality but I put it in because it was one of the first ideas I brainstormed for the idea but you get the point of it yeah?
Spawns spiders you can befriend.

image.png.19730d81b17b1435f09d287d17323eee.png

Propagating Spiders

Similar to bringing dead enemies to the Onion in Pikmin, offering food items to a Spider Den (that probably has to be crafted by you) would propagate more spiders.

Spiders also are able to evolve over time if in your "party" long enough

image.png.eb6782acc0ea33ee1f5799ae2962fbe1.png

Webber Crafting Tab

War paints: Craftable paint that can be used to give spiders different traits such as higher attack or faster walk speed and lets them evolve differently from each other.

Whistle: A whistle similar to the one from the Year of the Varg event that calls all nearby allied spiders to your side which can be used to deal with deadly situations where all your spiders could die or resetting their aggro.

image.png.3c293516f6fcee5f99fbd5ddff5666dd.png

Assigning Tasks for each Spider

Here's the fun part,
If you have a large group of spiders you can assign tasks to each one or a small group to do various jobs such as attacking and killing one enemy, carrying a mysterious marble and mining or cutting down trees (I'm unsure of how this would work or be allowed).

image.png

And that was my idea! Feel free to expand upon, rethink and/or discuss it.

i like the pictures.makes your idea feel alive(not like the other ones aren't alive or anything.its just the artstyle used to make this is really unique and makes this idea feel alive)

as for the ideas themselves.meh.its not that i don't like them or anything(i actually like them quite a good bit)its just that klei usually only takes small inspiration from suggestions and most of the reworks come from them so we will just have to wait and see what the webber rework is gonna look like

3 hours ago, stranger again said:

its just that klei usually only takes small inspiration from suggestions and most of the reworks come from them so we will just have to wait and see what the webber rework is gonna look like

i thought it'd just be a fun idea to think about i don't really expect them to take my idea

I really like the idea of Webber creating tab, crafts like the spider den would be there, the silk backpack would be silk package, and the whistle to call allied spider sounds a good idea bcs the IA of spiders sometimes is a problem, the idea of spiders that work, I'll think be good spiders fishing or mini spiders like in the forge that would carry basic resources like twigs and grass

Work steps on Maxwell's toes. Overall your proposal is feasible. Instead of work, I'd have the spiders gather from grass tufts, saplings, berry bushes and loose items on the floor to substitute spiders mining rocks with their spider teeth. 

The only other thing missing is giving webber a lunge for his rework like the green and white spiders

I’ve got a bad feeling that when Webber finally does get his rework if it’s not on the level of all the players crying he needs ones liking, that they won’t be satisfied.

Personally I’ve played a lot of Webber and his Strengths come entirely from living within a prebuilt massive spider nest infestation. Anywhere else and he immediately starts to fall out of being very useful, His Spider Minions are Weak & Wurts Merm Army pretty much replaces him.

What I want from a Webber Rework is for Webber’s Spider Den to be clearly distinguishable from a natural den, because he isn’t fully spider so it should be a little less professional maybe with sticks and twigs sticking out of It.

In COOP Mode outside of PVP these Webber Den Spiders will instantly be friendly to even Non-Webber’s (seriously Webber having to base off by himself somewhere is so 2013..) This doesn’t change the character much- Because his Strengths still come from finding a massive pre built spider infestation.

What it WOULD effectively do however is allow Webber to stay in base with non-Webber’s without having to go live with his Spiders by his lonesome.

In addition to less professional Webber created spider dens that are friendly to other players- Webber can also choose to Sleep inside of a Tier 2 or Tier 3 Natural spawning Spider Den, Doing so will downgrade it by one Tier- Effectively allowing Webber to safely & passively play “Crowd Control” on Spider Infestation threats.

And instead of having to kill his spiders or grow out a beard to obtain silk, he should be able to pull it out of natural spawning spider dens (similar to taking cement paste out of a Beaver Dam in Ark Survival Evolved)

The general concept behind my purposed Webber Rework here is to make him more of a TEAM Player, with proper crowd control on Spider Population and being able to still build his own friendly version Webber Dens.

Being able to tame and Ride Spider Queens in replacement of Beefalo would be AWESOME too I think, but overall I just want him to have clearly distinguishable Webber Dens, and be able to downgrade Non-Webber natural spider dens by sleeping in them like a Tent.

41 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What I want from a Webber Rework is for Webber’s Spider Den to be clearly distinguishable from a natural den, because he isn’t fully spider so it should be a little less professional maybe with sticks and twigs sticking out of It.

In COOP Mode outside of PVP these Webber Den Spiders will instantly be friendly to even Non-Webber’s (seriously Webber having to base off by himself somewhere is so 2013..) This doesn’t change the character much- Because his Strengths still come from finding a massive pre built spider infestation.

yes if that hapens I would love for the spiders to have like little collars to not only distinguish them from hostile spiders but they could also be changed to give the spiders a specific job like in one of @Pinyaps's ideas (And it would be really cute)

I would also like Webber to benefit from monster food like actually restore some health and or sanity from it not a lot but enough to make people want monster jerky

Really interesting ideas, liked most of it! 

Here is thing I didn't like.

On 12/1/2020 at 11:36 PM, Pinyaps said:

If you have a large group of spiders you can assign tasks to each one or a small group to do various jobs such as attacking and killing one enemy, carrying a mysterious marble and mining or cutting down trees (I'm unsure of how this would work or be allowed).

Cutting, mining etc. is Maxwell's role. I think it's not nice to take this power from him. Carrying things should be given to the Wolfgang but seeing this on spiders would be super cute.

Also does whistle works like feeding them, if the answer is yes, then that's not a big necessary.

My Webber ideas: Spider tab + Monsters (Webber, Wortox & Wurt) can't trade with pig king

Spider Den: 12 silk, 6 glands, 6 papyrus

Cave Spider den: 6 gold glands, 12 rocks, 6 papyrus

Gold Glands: 1 glands, 1 gold - heals 30

Silk Wrapping: 2 silk, 2 gold glands, 1 rope - works like wrapping paper but it's freshness is 25% instead of 100% (others can craft it but can't craft gold glands)

Spider Staff: 1 spider den, 1 spear - 44 uses - throws warrior spider at target (warriors jumps can range kill)

Bubblegum Staff: 4 gold glands, 2 glommer goop, 1 spear - 12 uses - acts like the sheep snot, immobilizing anything for 8.8 secs (pigs & flying foes are immune)

I would like if webber was made an ideal spelunker, giving him cave vision during the day (but he still can't see at night so it isn't too broken) and making him able to detect gems and fossils within stalagmites. It would also be nice to make befriended spiders more civil, they no longer eat off the floor, and they don't attack other players. Perhaps they could also make it so spider dens unable to be placed anywhere near structures, to prevent spider griefing, but that might make it harder for webbers to make a personal base.

On 12/7/2020 at 6:00 AM, Slagger said:

Cutting, mining etc. is Maxwell's role. I think it's not nice to take this power from him.

On 12/6/2020 at 12:33 AM, chirsg said:

Work steps on Maxwell's toes.

One character doesn't completely own the right to be good at a task, though, many characters have overlapping tasks that they're good at but perform in different ways. Like how Willow, Wendy, Wolfgang, Wigfrid, and Warly all have different ways of becoming more powerful in combat. Or how Maxwell, Woodie, and Wurt all have abilities that help with chopping and mining things.

Characters don't have strict roles, they just have abilities that make them good at certain things. And sometimes these things overlap with different characters.

One character doesn't own the right to be good at a task like you said, however, work is such a mundane thing to take from a character since there are so many that already do have a niche in work. 

I'd feel disappointed if I were a webber main to just be another miner. I also don't buy it that a spider would be able to break down a rock.

having them gather resources however would be incredible. If you've sat down and just held spacebar to pick up items after a big work marathon, it takes a very long time and almost every character is equal at the task. wx is only the best by default and he prefers having the help of wickerbottom to supercharge.

Webber filling the gathering niche in the context of work would be a pretty big deal. A bigger deal imo than spiders mining to step on max's toes or lumberjacking to step on woodie's.

Gathering is unique, fitting and would probably be more useful than being a raw worker like those we already have.

On 12/2/2020 at 5:36 AM, Pinyaps said:

I was told to post my idea here but I was thinking of a fun idea of how Webber could be reworked and it pretty much involves big inspiration from the Pikmin series. I drew some quick pictures to help explain or visualize my ideas because I'm not very good at being articulate.

Spider Backpack

I honestly don't expect this to be a reality but I put it in because it was one of the first ideas I brainstormed for the idea but you get the point of it yeah?
Spawns spiders you can befriend.

image.png.19730d81b17b1435f09d287d17323eee.png

Propagating Spiders

Similar to bringing dead enemies to the Onion in Pikmin, offering food items to a Spider Den (that probably has to be crafted by you) would propagate more spiders.

Spiders also are able to evolve over time if in your "party" long enough

image.png.eb6782acc0ea33ee1f5799ae2962fbe1.png

Webber Crafting Tab

War paints: Craftable paint that can be used to give spiders different traits such as higher attack or faster walk speed and lets them evolve differently from each other.

Whistle: A whistle similar to the one from the Year of the Varg event that calls all nearby allied spiders to your side which can be used to deal with deadly situations where all your spiders could die or resetting their aggro.

image.png.3c293516f6fcee5f99fbd5ddff5666dd.png

Assigning Tasks for each Spider

Here's the fun part,

image.png

And that was my idea! Feel free to expand upon, rethink and/or discuss it.

Wow! Awesome idea!! This reminds me of Real-Time Strategy like Age of Empire but as a spider! And it's Dont Starve

On 12/10/2020 at 1:34 AM, chirsg said:

Webber filling the gathering niche in the context of work would be a pretty big deal. A bigger deal imo than spiders mining to step on max's toes or lumberjacking to step on woodie's.

Yeah, after reading the replies I decided that the spiders gathering things like grass, berries and twigs etc. would be a lot cooler than mining or chopping trees.

Archived