Early Thoughts

So this is just a few things that I've noticed after a few hours of play, I haven't run into any real bugs yet other then the sugar generator doesn't appear in the power tab, but I assume that's just because it hasn't actually been added yet.

Plug slugs power output seems sort of op at 400w per bug at night. Especially since I get that power while starving them. I have 3 in my base right now (and two just outside) and I can't seem to burn through power fast enough. I feel like this should be set up so that maybe its 200w when hungry and 400w when fed, or similar set up but for wild and tame. Though to be fair my first instinct is not to feed them since they consume the only metal I have access to right now. I assume there will be a way to have a renewable food source for them eventually but right now it doesn't seem worthwhile to feed them

While I am very happy at having new traits, I feel like the ones that give specific skills are awkward. They are great when you get an interest that lines up but otherwise they feel kind of weird. I feel like this could be simplified by simply having a trait that the duplicant starts with an extra skill point instead of having a trait for each skill possible.

Also just a thought, a mod that I was playing with in the live version expanded the number of slots for the printing pod for selecting an object to print. The mod also added a lot of traits so the increased choices helped with the added rng which I feel might be helpful here.

So far I love everything though and am excited to explore it more. Thank you for giving me a chance to try it.

Edit: so someone mentioned its 400w when wild and 1600w when tamed, so ignore the section i crossed out. I feel like this is a lot though but i suppose I will know more about my power needs the further in i go. Maybe my 5 bugs giving me 1.6kw/s each at night will be something I have to have since there's no coal.

Just now, Meta Binding said:

if you tame the bugs they give 1.6k watts, and also the generator is a rocket part. You'll see how that works after placing a launching pad

well then that seems like a lot of energy considering most generators don't give off that much power.
Thanks for the info!

I like new stuff, the idea of low tier exosuit checkpoint with O2 masks only is really nice, but I don't like supplying metal ore to it every time... All masks are currently single-use, there should be a way to recycle them (or at least ore that was used to make them)

Just now, pether said:

I like new stuff, the idea of low tier exosuit checkpoint with O2 masks only is really nice, but I don't like supplying metal ore to it every time... All masks are currently single-use, there should be a way to recycle them (or at least ore that was used to make them)

Haven't tried those yet but yeah I've never been much of a fan of throwing metal away.

11 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

well then that seems like a lot of energy considering most generators don't give off that much power.
Thanks for the info!

while i agree with your general point that 400W (untamed) is a bit too steep, they are certainly not producing much more than any other generator. Unless there is a way to keep them constantly producing.

They only produce while being asleep (so roughly 50% of the day, not sure if there is any pre-/after-time included. Which brings them down to at least the 200w/800w per day area. Which is half a manual wheel (untamed), or a constantly running hydrogen generator (tamed).

In both cases they need an -admittedly- easy power wire setup.

But in the later case they will also require food (which is scarce metals) and taming.

2 minutes ago, blash365 said:

while i agree with your general point that 400W (untamed) is a bit too steep, they are certainly not producing much more than any other generator. Unless there is a way to keep them constantly producing.

They only produce while being asleep (so roughly 50% of the day, not sure if there is any pre-/after-time included. Which brings them down to at least the 200w/800w per day area. Which is half a manual wheel (untamed), or a constantly running hydrogen generator (tamed).

In both cases they need an -admittedly- easy power wire setup.

But in the later case they will also require food (which is scarce metals) and taming.

yea i was thinking the 1.6kw, but i forgot about the petroleum generator being a thing as well. Yea with the math of their uptime its not a ton, but when i think about how drecko ranches go these days i can see having a ranch with just a few that are fed while the eggs are hatched in a starving room with all of them just powering everything. Idk to me that seems a little too good, but i guess i have to get to the point of setting it up to see for sure.

10 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

yea i was thinking the 1.6kw, but i forgot about the petroleum generator being a thing as well. Yea with the math of their uptime its not a ton, but when i think about how drecko ranches go these days i can see having a ranch with just a few that are fed while the eggs are hatched in a starving room with all of them just powering everything. Idk to me that seems a little too good, but i guess i have to get to the point of setting it up to see for sure.

True about the hatch room. Point taken.

Btw, they also produce hydrogen. So you might get some more power out of that as well^^.

Just now, blash365 said:

True about the hatch room. Point taken.

Btw, they also produce hydrogen. So you might get some more power out of that as well^^.

yea i saw, though i wish it consumed something other then metal but it shouldnt matter if i only have two being fed at a time

This is my setup. I dont really care to split them as they dont produce less while glum, and I dont need the bbq from them. I have a ton of batteries setup from them, and I doubt you need any other power besides them until cycle 1000 when you start to run out of metal. Also, them being glum is good because that means less metal being eaten.

jh.PNG

23 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

but when i think about how drecko ranches go these days i can see having a ranch with just a few that are fed while the eggs are hatched in a starving room with all of them just powering everything

I'd like for starvation ranching to be nerfed in general

I played for a few hours and no bugs or crash so far, thats great.

Linux : do not work (i know that the game do not work on linux), had the same crash that i had when they make a patch in the public_beta cloud in the initial page with the console. 

Linux (Proton) works without a problem, the only thing that i notice is that when someone travels to another planet , he jumps over the 2 tiles and moves very fast.

Mac: The game runs but there is some problems with graphics , when i use the dig tool , the icons appear behind the material , also the fog do not appear. 

12 hours ago, crbd115 said:

So this is just a few things that I've noticed after a few hours of play, I haven't run into any real bugs yet other then the sugar generator doesn't appear in the power tab, but I assume that's just because it hasn't actually been added yet.

Plug slugs power output seems sort of op at 400w per bug at night. Especially since I get that power while starving them. I have 3 in my base right now (and two just outside) and I can't seem to burn through power fast enough. I feel like this should be set up so that maybe its 200w when hungry and 400w when fed, or similar set up but for wild and tame. Though to be fair my first instinct is not to feed them since they consume the only metal I have access to right now. I assume there will be a way to have a renewable food source for them eventually but right now it doesn't seem worthwhile to feed them

While I am very happy at having new traits, I feel like the ones that give specific skills are awkward. They are great when you get an interest that lines up but otherwise they feel kind of weird. I feel like this could be simplified by simply having a trait that the duplicant starts with an extra skill point instead of having a trait for each skill possible.

Also just a thought, a mod that I was playing with in the live version expanded the number of slots for the printing pod for selecting an object to print. The mod also added a lot of traits so the increased choices helped with the added rng which I feel might be helpful here.

So far I love everything though and am excited to explore it more. Thank you for giving me a chance to try it.

Edit: so someone mentioned its 400w when wild and 1600w when tamed, so ignore the section i crossed out. I feel like this is a lot though but i suppose I will know more about my power needs the further in i go. Maybe my 5 bugs giving me 1.6kw/s each at night will be something I have to have since there's no coal.

Plug Slugs :D :D?

I havent played the new version, loving the idea of the new critter.

Please someone who has played explain to me how the plug slugs work.
I think its based of of one of my suggestions:

but I`m not sure

11 hours ago, pether said:

isn't night only for 3 hours per cycle or something like that?

Yes. An untamed slug gives you 50 Watt on average. Definitely not too easy. Basically one dupe on the wheel for 1/6 of a waking cycle.  I have already killed some slugs for food.

17 hours ago, pether said:

That's a bit rough.  Perhaps they should use cloth instead?  Reed fibers are renewable, and of limited use at the moment.  They could even be made at the Textile Loom if they want a more robust production chain for masks.

4 minutes ago, goboking said:

Perhaps they should use cloth instead?  Reed fibers are renewable, and of limited use at the moment.

I believe they wanted this machine not to use fiber, so it was available early game. Also - I'm not sure if it is possible to gather reeds on new asteroid.

It would be fine if the masks were reusable, so I pay ore and from now on, one dupe can use mask for the rest of the game (with breaks for oxygen recharge)

I think you will need to discover the further asteroids and get them using rockets.  I just built a telescope and found the third asteroid that has a marsh biome that lists thimble reeds as a resource. Not built a rocket yet to see what I need to do to get there though.

1 hour ago, Carcer_ said:

I think you will need to discover the further asteroids and get them using rockets.  I just built a telescope and found the third asteroid that has a marsh biome that lists thimble reeds as a resource. Not built a rocket yet to see what I need to do to get there though.

Yes, I gather that is the idea. First one is free (teleporter), but for the rest you have to get there with rockets.

20 hours ago, pether said:

All masks are currently single-use, there should be a way to recycle them (or at least ore that was used to make them)

What exactly happens to the masks?  I've seen the just get dropped on the ground the slowly vent their oxygen.  Do they simply disappear when they run out?

Am I the only one who has considered making a ridiculous mask melting machine to recycle them?

Archived