Early Thoughts

On 11/19/2020 at 11:10 PM, crbd115 said:

While I am very happy at having new traits, I feel like the ones that give specific skills are awkward. They are great when you get an interest that lines up but otherwise they feel kind of weird. I feel like this could be simplified by simply having a trait that the duplicant starts with an extra skill point instead of having a trait for each skill possible.

Seems I´m not the only one disliking the new trait pool.

Having "just" a specific skill instead of a permanent buff seems to be a waste most of the time. Keeping a high enough morale value to sustain a high tier job isn´t really challenging, if you don´t want to go for jack-of-all-trades-duplicants.

So the only cases which makes you want a skill instead of a buff are:

• You want to rush something (looking at you "mechatronics engineer" and "rocket pilot")
  • You want to work with a low morale value
  • You want Jack-of-all-trades-duplicants at a "reasonable" morale value

=> If I could prevent the need to rush for a specific skill I would never print a duplicant with (just) a specific prelearned skill.

I really like the new skill traits.  They open all sorts of potential play patterns which are locked out otherwise (like rushing early rockets, or early mechatronics).  If you've ever tried speed running rockets in the current ONI, having everything gated behind skill acquisition isn't a particularly fun play pattern.  I also think it's important not to undervalue morale.  While in current ONI, morale is fairly trivial, there's no guarantee it will stay that way.  Even if it does, sending a dupe to another asteroid is a case where you often want skilled dupes, and morale is difficult to maintain without any infrastructure.

Archived