Survival or Endless?

Just here asking a nonsense question. I actually lost my Survival world to an infinite loading screen before(120s counted down, but I never loaded in; mod issue)
and I kiiinda don't want that to happen again.
Sure, Endless prevents that from happening. Although, it just ruins the Permadeath mechanic of DS completely which makes Endless a little too easy.

Also, I want to ask as well: Do you prefer Survival, or Endless more?

Thanks.
Edit: Forgot to specify that I want answers too, I'm generating a new solo world soon.

Endless because of the scenario you just described, and because key resources like grass tufts, berry bushes, and saplings will only regrow in endless (and wilderness as well).

Even in DS, you will use every single res method you have before the world is sunk into the abyss forever. In DST, you’ve got 2 minutes and the only thing that matters is if you can use a res structure, not how many res items you have stockpiled. Not to mention you have a button that admins can press that resets the world immediately  on the bottom of the screen, and I’ve had a few friends who lost their worlds by accidentally clicking it since it won’t give a confirmation prompt either.

As for merit, I never really minded. The res methods available in survival are all you realistically need, and I never used endless for the portal to res anyway. It’s just mainly so I can get rid of the timer mechanic.

Survival. Specifically because I want to have a long term world that doesn't completely lag out over time. The lag is a bit worse on PS4 but a world on endless keeps regenerating different resources and bogging down the world. I'll take the added risk of survival over a guaranteed limit on my world. 

8 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

only thing that matters is if you can use a res structure, not how many res items you have stockpiled.

That's actually the thing bothering me in DST.
You instantly resurrect with the nearest structure in DS, be it amulet, TS or effigy.
Too bad DST isn't totally singleplayer, and that the mechanics have changed quite a lot..

2 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

Come to think of it, I'd like a variation of Survival with random spawns for that true lost feeling. :distant:

I would just use a telelocator staff when you spawn in if you wanted that kind of start.

I prefer Survival as I do like the pressure the death timer exudes onto me.

If you play Survival you will probably just abuse the rollback feature every time you die, and I got sick and tired of having random people join my world die and then like say 3 out 5 people playing cry to roll server back.

And so I just started hosting Endless worlds so they can revive themselves at the Florid Portal- Depending on how far away they are or where they are at in the game... (like down in caves for example) becoming a spooky ghost and having to float allllll the way back to the Postern, is punishment enough in of itself.

An important thing to note: Survival modes of revival still exist in Endless Mode so you can still totally heal by Touch Stone, or having another player use a Telltale heart on you.

Endless Mode is also my preferred way of playing when exploring the new content updates- I can explore and learn things at my own pace (without spoiling it all on a wiki page) and without dying and losing my world because say for example.. I didn’t know how to combat Cookie Cutters.

Survival Mode is really if you just want the countdown timer till world deletion... but personally I prefer other methods of making my worlds more challenging (like increasing hound wave frequency, or randomizing season start times & season lengths.)

If you're worried about the 2 minutes counter, you could build meaty effigies for a fail-safe, they can revive you instantly, no matter where and how you died. Just prepare some materials and equipment for when you need to get revived. Also, make effigies in both the overworld and caves, since you cannot resurrect with an effigy on the other shard.

And if you want to be extra safe, you should back up your saves. That way you can restore your world even if you lost it due to such issues like infinite loading.

Survival, but if I had scenario happen to me, I'd consider endless.  I mean, countdown without being able to do ANYthing and also not having even actually died?  Yikes.

Although, I've also hit the stupid "reset world" button myself, and IT NEEDS A CONFIRMATION like seriously.  That's how I ended my first March of Civilization run early!  I called it "The Stupid".  

It'w worth noting, also--and yes, I fully admit that this is a FLAT-out, definite exploit of game mechanics--if you quit out of the game partway through the countdown, then come back in, _it resets and you get another entire two minutes_.  This can be literally life/worldsaving if the nearest touchstone is far away, and you have no other means of resurrecting right then.  

I started on regular DS, however, so Endless feels too much like baby training-wheels easy mode to me.  I wouldn't SAY that to people I saw playing it, especially if that was the only way they could truly enjoy the game, but for me it's not even roguelike _adjacent_ unless there's a chance of permadeath somewhere, and "a roguelike but you can actually learn things permanently for later" (as opposed to, say, Nethack, where everything !@#$ing randomises every %^&* new game, so you can't even make _brain_ progress!) is what attracted me to Don't Starve's gameplay in the first place.

...Notorious

22 hours ago, Baguettes said:

That's actually the thing bothering me in DST.
You instantly resurrect with the nearest structure in DS, be it amulet, TS or effigy.
Too bad DST isn't totally singleplayer, and that the mechanics have changed quite a lot..

but amulets must be equiped. DST has easier ways to resurrect which is fine with me (i dont want life giving amulets like in ds)

Archived