Why People Still Hates Willow?

Hey there,
When I was looking for a nice public server today, I saw a thing again. They just write "Willow = Ban" on the description. I saw this so many times and they was not same persons. As I know the potantial danger stuffs of Willow removed with rework and she is just a nice character now. Yeah she don't have so much thing to give team but Bernie is pretty good.

Don't they know the rework or is there a problem I don't know?

the problem is, Willow starts with a hand-held griefing device. But wait, it's almost as if... any other character can make a similar griefing device with 2 twigs and 2 grass. Yea I dont know why anybody hates Willow, even from the beginning it was stupid and didnt make sense simply because of the existence of the torch.

As a Willow-main that plays mostly pubs (the KLei vanilla official ones or community dedicated servers) I can tell you I haven't been kicked for a long time now. Perhaps it helps I use non-default skin Willow, don't ask anything about base or the like and, most importantly, don't make any joke even remotely related to burning stuff. Also nomad.

Maybe don't go for personal servers, some people there kick on spot everything that's not their fancy.

24 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

the problem is, Willow starts with a hand-held griefing device. But wait, it's almost as if... any other character can make a similar griefing device with 2 twigs and 2 grass. Yea I dont know why anybody hates Willow, even from the beginning it was stupid and didnt make sense simply because of the existence of the torch.

As I remember Willow was burned stuffs when get insane, that was an big problem because none of base have ice flingomatic on the few first seasons. But for now it's not making sense to ban her. She is just okay.

25 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Maybe don't go for personal servers, some people there kick on spot everything that's not their fancy

I don't play with her. Just wondered why there is persons hate her. Also I think Webber and Wurt is more selfish/dangerous character then her but didn't ever saw a person writed something like that.

10 minutes ago, Slagger said:

As I remember Willow was burned stuffs when get insane, that was an big problem because none of base have ice flingomatic on the few first seasons. But for now it's not making sense to ban her. She is just okay.

As far as I remember she only does that in DS since the rework.

I’ve played ALOT of reworked Willow, She has a lot of good perks going for her now, like Wendy.. she has slide into being my second favorite character, prior to hers & Wigfrids rework my second most played was Wigfrid, now when it comes to Willow in particular she is completely Immune to fire damage- so a Willow player can kite those massive hordes of Fire Hounds into an open area where the fire is not going to spread.. stand dead center of them with a single log suit, 2 football helmets and a simple spear and take them all down by herself.

In Addition to that Willows lighter can instantly cook food, on the surface this may not sound like much of a Perk- but in actuality it allows her to easily manipulate cooked/Uncooked mushrooms for Sanity manipulation, all without needing to build a Campfire & waste additional resources.

Bernie, and his enraged form BERNIE!, are tied to and triggered by Willows Sanity, a Low Sanity Willows teddy bear will enrage to protect her from Shadow creatures, In addition to that even when a Willow player is nowhere around a dropped Bernie doll but another player is and is low on Sanity Bernie will still animate to life and dance around distracting shadows.

Bernie has an additional hidden perk of providing Willow with a little extra Warmth when she cuddles him, it may not sound like much but it will significantly assist noob players who struggle surviving Winter.

not to mention lighters last about 10x as long as your standard torch.. so A GOOD Willow player should be crafting and passing them around.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve played ALOT of reworked Willow, She has a lot of good perks going for her now, like Wendy.. she has slide into being my second favorite character, prior to hers & Wigfrids rework my second most played was Wigfrid, now when it comes to Willow in particular she is completely Immune to fire damage- so a Willow player can kite those massive hordes of Fire Hounds into an open area where the fire is not going to spread.. stand dead center of them with a single log suit, 2 football helmets and a simple spear and take them all down by herself.

In Addition to that Willows lighter can instantly cook food, on the surface this may not sound like much of a Perk- but in actuality it allows her to easily manipulate cooked/Uncooked mushrooms for Sanity manipulation, all without needing to build a Campfire & waste additional resources.

Bernie, and his enraged form BERNIE!, are tied to and triggered by Willows Sanity, a Low Sanity Willows teddy bear will enrage to protect her from Shadow creatures, In addition to that even when a Willow player is nowhere around a dropped Bernie doll but another player is and is low on Sanity Bernie will still animate to life and dance around distracting shadows.

Bernie has an additional hidden perk of providing Willow with a little extra Warmth when she cuddles him, it may not sound like much but it will significantly assist noob players who struggle surviving Winter.

not to mention lighters last about 10x as long as your standard torch.. so A GOOD Willow player should be crafting and passing them around.

good tips though you didn't mention the nightmare fuel farms you can make with bernie 

57 minutes ago, ZeeDragon said:

As far as I remember she only does that in DS since the rework.

As far as I remember the fire starting at low sanity was removed in DST very early (like in the Beta).

I'm playing a lot on public servers, most Willow players aren't a problem and are accepted. It is depending on many things, whether the people are trusting a player or not (like the communication, playstyle, skin or whether the user is known by the other players). If a Willow is joining later in the game, without skin (and maybe asking for base), there is a chance of 95% it's a griefer, who just want to burn a base (my personal experience). Sure, it also can be other characters, but most people, who just want to burn a base, love to pick Willow, even if they know, they could build a torch easily.

I personally havent been kicked from any worlds for playing as willow. Maybe its because I join the klei servers before anyone has the ability to start a vote kick :P
But yeah I always HEAR about people hating willow because of her lighter. Where I always bring up the response of using a torch.

But a funny thing is, ive never seen a Willow be a griefer before. The few times that my worlds/worlds ive been in have been griefed, its been by a wilson who made a hammer and just started to break stuff, and a Warly that stole a deconstruction staff from a chest and started to use it on the pigman houses

8 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

I personally havent been kicked from any worlds for playing as willow. Maybe its because I join the klei servers before anyone has the ability to start a vote kick :P
But yeah I always HEAR about people hating willow because of her lighter. Where I always bring up the response of using a torch.

But a funny thing is, ive never seen a Willow be a griefer before. The few times that my worlds/worlds ive been in have been griefed, its been by a wilson who made a hammer and just started to break stuff, and a Warly that stole a deconstruction staff from a chest and started to use it on the pigman houses

i've met a willow griefer but for sure more than half of all the griefers i have come across so far have been wilson. it is too the point where wilsons joining a server have started to make me feel a little nervous XD

Speaking about the devil this subject, of "griefing accusations" - testament of never say.. "nevermore" - just today on a KLei server I chose to go for a summer challenge only to find a Willow torching some spawn base right-off-the-bat; and the moment I popped out of gate, he began writing in chat "Stop it Willow, stop burning!", quite the humorous troll. You can guess who got booted out. Also, thanks to this occurring, I finally figured out who among regular players on that server (KLei Germany Endless) ninja-torched in past a lot of bases, forests, Pig Houses etc on a lot of server iterations - it was this s-turdy "gonzapela" lad (print-screens in spoiler). Thus, for people going on KLei Germany Endless.. watch out for said lad - wears a Winter Feast Willow outfit (a step up from default skinned Willow griefers I guess).

Spoiler

willow-troll-griefer-1.thumb.jpg.f6ee613b997f1b4aa898de1fbbfa1daa.jpg

willow-troll-griefer-2.thumb.jpg.a217e554704c2f657b81d5f3513977fb.jpg

As for why is much easier to grief as Willow: like one can see even in prtscrs above - after certain time passes all around spawn gets pillaged to the point there are no more grass tufts and/or saplings. Willow assures player has light/means of starting fires out-of-the-gate in mid-to-late term worlds. Convenience, as usual. Likewise, is in her description: the fire-starter.

6 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Maybe don't go for personal servers, some people there kick on spot everything that's not their fancy.

TBH, when joingin a private server theres an 80% chance you will get kicked no matter the character you are using. At least that's what i had exerienced.

Personally when a Willow joins any server i get happy because that means free bernies, regardless if she stays in the server or not, you can keep one (or many) and keep repairing them. If anything I think she is extremely useful. Her lighter is just an accesory really, the real deal is her fluffy companion

42 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

Nothing boils m'blood more than the discrimination of characters. I can't stand watching innocent Willow/Wes players just looking for a good time being booted because of who they chose/got assigned by random. :apologetic:

Spoiler

I do not like Wes.. he is useless, Klei can fix this by giving him something as simple as Team Synergy... meaning- Abigails petal Bestowment buffs damage of other characters attacking what Abigail Attacks, so the TL:DR: Buff Wes’s Damage to be just slightly better than everyone else’s when attacking petal bestowed enemies.

This fixes TWO problems with one simple solution- Wes doesn’t become any easier to play for those who still want to be challenged when picking him and wandering off doing their own thing, But it ALSO Means Wes isn’t wasting through resources when engaged in Team Synergies So for example- The Battle Spear Wigfrid hands him ends up being just as useful in his hands as it would be in Wilson’s. 

AKA: Under Specific Conditions- Make Wes no longer what I like to consider as “Extra Baggage”, now sure.. some Wes players may be good at playing as him and that’s THAT Player, it however does not make Wes the CHARACTER any less of a waste on Spears/Helms etc.

And would it really hurt to give Wes some actual useful abilities? for example: The dude creates Balloons, Wigfrid seems to believe in the power of the Unicorn being great, Let Wes craft and give Wigfrid Unicorn Balloon to bestow her with power of Unicorn.. 

In other words: Wes actually becomes a viable character pick to help boost those around him.. but is no stronger when he strikes out away on his own.

Angry Wes related rant in spoiler.

THAT is my reason for kicking Wes out my servers- and it will continue to be my reason until Wes gets a good refresh, But WILLOW on the other hand actually IS Good as in- The abilities and items Klei gave to her with her Rework makes her a really good character pick- However as long as people label Willow as the best grieving potential.. then she will always fail to be noticed as great.

Ironically.. if someone wants to grief in the most passive & seemingly innocent way possible- Pick Wes you’ll burn through more resources faster then Willows lighter ever could. 

Come to think of it- Klei could have given WES the Bernie Doll and as long as Wes is anywhere around the doll it’s useless... but when Wes hands it to ANOTHER NON WES PLAYER & leaves the Area.. it could enlarge to protect them once Wes is out of Range.

Aka-Reverse Willow/Bernie

4 hours ago, Lumberlocke said:

Nothing boils m'blood more than the discrimination of characters. I can't stand watching innocent Willow/Wes players just looking for a good time being booted because of who they chose/got assigned by random. :apologetic:

yeah, i have noticed a resurgence of automatic character kickers this week. no wes, no walter, no willow. it is really messed up and shows a lot about the fragile emotional state of the people who are making these kinds of limited worlds

3 hours ago, gaymime said:

yeah, i have noticed a resurgence of automatic character kickers this week. no wes, no walter, no willow. it is really messed up and shows a lot about the fragile emotional state of the people who are making these kinds of limited worlds

But they don't ban "noob" Wilson, gear eater WX-78, always hungry wolfgang and icebox raider warly. 

Wickerbottom is not included as she is usually the mother, leader and caregiver of dst public server except for some noobs and hentai spammer on everywhere but bee Queen. 

3 hours ago, gaymime said:

Walter tends to crash my game. I like to think I'm a bit justified.

1 hour ago, Articestone said:

But they don't ban "noob" Wilson, gear eater WX-78, always hungry wolfgang and icebox raider warly. 

Wickerbottom is not included as she is usually the mother, leader and caregiver of dst public server except for some noobs and hentai spammer on everywhere but bee Queen. 

yeah but you dont understand; those characters are POPULAR can't do that to the popular ones. that is practically illegal!

49 minutes ago, Auth said:

Walter tends to crash my game. I like to think I'm a bit justified.

how does walter crash your game? have you reported this in the bugs section?

6 minutes ago, Articestone said:

If you notice most monster characters are never banned for Webber can greif by spamming spider den all over base 

webber is often banned actually. i've had a few webber mains tell me they were autobanned from multiple servers when choosing to play webber

In our dedicated server last weekend, 2 default skinned Willows joined at the same time, got to the base, and started burning everything.

I have admin tooltips so the only thing they accomplished is to make me to waste 5 seconds by making me do 4 extra clicks, literally: put out fires, ban willow 1, ban willow 2, then fix burned structures. Absolutely no damage remained, and they can never join the server again.
I'd assume they were edgy little kids who probably left the server feeling they are 11/10 trolls top kek. If those players were above 14 years old, I'd just feel really sad for them.

I guess even though anyone can do it, its sort of a "meme" to do it as Willow. I wouldn't ban Willows just for picking her though, but I'm definitely more cautious until I get to know the players.

People tend to be really stingy with the characters they play with, regardless of it being a Willow or not.

For example, in public servers, as soon as someone joins, there's always a person saying "pick <character>" and, when that criteria isn't met, they become angry and act like the server is absolutely ruined and everyone is now doomed.

Here's my take on it:

• Characters don't matter.

This isn't one of those games that are super heavy on team compositions and team synergies. Experience is the only thing you provide to the table.

For example, a Wickerbottom with 20 minutes in Don't Starve [Together] provides nothing when compared to a Wes with 5000 hours in Don't Starve [Together].

The issue should never be who you pick. One could argue that the differences between some characters are so small that the choice between playing X and Y could be purely for aesthetics.

Spoiler

Survival servers never go past Winter, and by day 15 most players already died and left anyways. Making who you pick even less relevant.

Archived