Why I don't expect, nor want, the DLC in 2020

So, hot topic, ONI DLC.

I can't wait to suffocate my dupes on several asteroids at once after some Not Great, Not Terrible accident happened in the main reactor. I know all of you guys want to play it as soon as possible as much as I do - we check the forum every day and we get super hyped each time steam database is updated.

However, I really hope the DLC will not be released in 2020 and knowing how polished product KLEI likes to deliver, I don't expect they will do this. Here is why:

Last update for the game included the Automation Pack. I really liked it. Not because logic ribbon and sweepy (of crouse they were nice too). I liked the pack because KLEI showed that they listen to our feedback, included changes requested on the forum and implemented the most reasonable mods that would fit the automation theme. This was super great feeling for me - not because my beloved game was expanded, but because I saw the devs care about me and the community.

This feedback loop took 3 weeks. 3 weeks to polish several sensors and one robot to perfection. KLEI had this pack ready when they showed it to us, but it took 3 weeks to improve it to our desires. 

I'd really hope to see the same feedback loop before the DLC will be released. However, I'm pretty sure that radioactive system and new space layout is much bigger scope than few sensors (indeed, that is why it is DLC, not free pack). Similar feedback loop could take more than 3 weeks. 4, maybe 5, I wouldn't mind 6 or more if this made the DLC even more perfect.

I assume KLEI are people too and that they wished to spend Christmas holidays with family at home, not coding DLC for us. They must also be prepared for potential bugfixes for urgent issues introduced with the DLC. It is really bad idea to release something 5 minutes before you take vacation. 

So, if the game was about to be released in 2020, if we wanted to take into account the Christmas and some time for the feedback loop, the DLC should be introduced to us within days. This scares me, because I'd feel it was rushed only to make it in 2020. I don't want rushed game. I want perfect one. And I'm pretty sure that both you and KLEI want the DLC to be good as well. Rushing it will not make it any better.

So, that is why I hope the DLC will be released in early 2021. I fear that there is not enough time to make it both 2020 and good quality and include community feedback.

Of course I may be wrong - maybe KLEI has something ready, polished, somehow gathered feedback already and only wait to push the RELEASE button. There is possibility that DLC released in 2020 could be really good. But we must be reasonable, and that is we should aim at 2021

Sorry to all of you who wanted to play during October. I feel you, I am one of those guys as well. But we must be patient and reasonable.

And to the KLEI devs - thanks for all the great ideas you included in ONI :) we love you guys, keep as much time as you need :)

This is full lockdown here in France, again, for the second time this year. I've 1 month, at least, to spend only in gaming for downtime.

Please Klei release the DLC, or any beta you want us to try. I'm reaaaady.

6 minutes ago, RomainL said:

In addition to the lockdown in France, i've just finished to write my thesis . So please Klei, give me something to continue being busy all day ! ;)

My credit card is allways in my hand waiting for the DLC !

My credit card is dying here next to me ... saying .... use me !!! 

So what kind of polish are you waiting on again? Care to name any example?

Your dupes are dying, ok. That is inconvenient, but klei has already tried to aleviate the issue a bit in the last patches. I would deem the current state as acceptable (opinion).

What other areas do require polish? Your full-page rant does not include many hints.

And if you are afraid that the dlc content will be bug-ridden, then you will just have to wait and see.

My experience is that klei does have a good sense of what good quality that is releasable is. By the end of the early access of ONI, they had a few releases that were a bit rushed, but that was after a MARATHON of monthly releases.

This time we are basically having a restart of the feedback loop. Unfortunately i dont think, they will have another early access phase, because it is "just" a DLC. So i would expect it to release in a fairly completed state already.

I dont think klei has a long history of flawed releases. You might be barking up the wrong tree here.

Okay, lets say, they pop the DLC on late november. Then they have at least 2 weeks of normal work time to fix the biggest issues, and they will. Make it 3 weeks for most of the staff at KLEI. Its 23 days into december until christmas. Plenty of time to get rid of most of the problems that may occur with the DLC. 

Even if they release it a day before christmas, its a payed DLC. You dont have to buy it right away, if you dont want to. You can sit back, enjoy your holidays and buy later if you want. 

So let them do, what they think is best. They will delay the release, if they are not comfortable with a this year release. They´ve dont it before.

@blash365, I'm not sure if you understood my post... Judging by your answer - probably not.

This is not a rant... I praised how previous pack was handled and I hope the DLC will experience the same amount of love. And I'm pretty much sure KLEI will handle this as well as previously - and that is why I do not expect the DLC in 2020

What I want to say is that I understand how covid could affected KLEI and because of that I understand that development may need some more time to release product they want to deliver. The only thing I fear is that community pressure could make them rush the DLC so they could not include all great things they wanted to.

I always say that I'm 100% fine with the DLC released in 2021 as long it is good. I see some people on the forum expecting announcements any time soon - yesterday, week before, next week max. I understand their hype, I share their excitement for the DLC, but I think that patience and reason are quite a virtues too - and the reason tells me that 2021 is more likely to host the DLC release. If this is the case, rushing it to make it 2020 would not be a good idea.

However, I trust KLEI and, as said above, I love how they handle their product. If they said they are ready for 2020 - cool! I will buy it 1st day after release. If they don't - 2021 is 100% fine too, because of the reasons I listed before. 

Even though you might be correct when it comes to maintaining patches around the christmas season. And even though klei is a unique company which certainly tries to have a healthy work-life-balance. It might not be a good idea to pass on the christmas season when it comes to a new release.

7 hours ago, pether said:

But we must be patient and reasonable.

And to the KLEI devs - thanks for all the great ideas you included in ONI :) we love you guys, keep as much time as you need :)

I agree. I’d prefer Klei take the time they need to produce a better DLC, and not overwork themselves trying to catch up from a year that has been very rough for many.

Speaking only for myself, i DO want to get at least the sneak preview / early access / whatever before christmas. I´m fine with some bugs (as long as the dont ruin the game in whole). And therefore i hope they will release it within the next few weeks, to give the modders a chance to update if needed, so we all can just play over the holidays. And to be frank, its not impossible to get really hard lockdown at that time, if we dont get in under control now. What else could we do, but to play one of the best games yet?

No release can be worse than the initial Regolith testing, with 10 screens of Regolith coming down on a regular basis and dupes flying across the screen with the meteor bombardment :mrgreen:

Except if perhaps a map instantly starts with a natural oocuring radioactive chain reaction :confused:

Welcome to the doomsday planet :beaten:

I neeeeeed, I neeeeeeeeeeeed :adoration:

Here is the latest news on the upcoming DLC, keep digging:

Spoiler
Spoiler

9 hours ago, babba said:

No release can be worse than the initial Regolith testing, with 10 screens of Regolith coming down on a regular basis and dupes flying across the screen with the meteor bombardment :mrgreen:

Except if perhaps a map instantly starts with a natural oocuring radioactive chain reaction :confused:

Welcome to the doomsday planet :beaten:

I neeeeeed, I neeeeeeeeeeeed :adoration:

Here is the latest news on the upcoming DLC, keep digging:

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Muuuum!! I got trolled!!!!

Archived