Compressed jerky area

image.thumb.png.760ff8b2873ae481d3058c195c6c451d.png

I forgot if there was a separate thread for builds. I could have sworn there was, but I wanted to share this on it's own thread because of the sheer suffering I went through along with the people who helped me build this, as I needed 5 people present at one time in the world to succeed in this.

What you're looking at, kind readers, are jerky racks placed in close proximity. On one single pitchfork tile, there are 10 racks on each.

My old jerky area allowed for 40 jerky racks built in an unpleasing way but I made a plan to have the area appear more visually attractive and house more jerky racks.

In total, this area allows for 80 jerky racks to be hung at once.

getting 5 people present at the same time was incredibly difficult because people have other things aside from dst to do or play and I'm extremely grateful to those who helped, appearing in the order of the names listed currently in the group chat.

-BCupSlut

-The Venus

-Temmie.exe
-peachyizzy
-Titan

-Chefer

-Pene Pene

-83c

-floppy_cactus

-mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

-Thorny Rose

-Tip Angellus

-Water Arkana

-Tf2demoknight

There are others who did help out with this project who aren't in my friends list or in the group chat, so if I've forgotten you and you happen to see this post, I'll be happy to edit and include you.

But to supplement this entire topic is this was all possible due to an glitch if you want to call it that. I won't go into crass detail, but this glitch has been spoken about to my knowledge on misutoM's stream, the current world record holder of the all boss speedrun and the AG speedrun.

I imagine it would have been spoken about in Glermz's stream as well. I'd like to take this opportunity to beg the devs not to take this away.

As powerful as this can be, It is balanced by requiring many players in the same server precisely placing structures in an agreed upon place that takes incredible team work.

And the nature of this entire game is team work ideally. The structure you see is a huge testament to that. We got together and did the impossible.
I've just tapped the surface using this method of building and in the future, I'd like to build more collaborative works like this. 

If this feature gets taken away, it will be impossible to undertake projects such as this and I have many ideas that are more creative than anything I can do alone.

I have other cool concepts that I made in creative mode with others, but the racks were all done legitimately and can be replicated on any other world.

image.png.53dbc2fe0aa0972c1eb8ee511ad80321.pngimage.png.e125d0c31d18391e5f8b3d0947d803a6.png

image.png.bae9bd5d05089b15208e1a7adf89cd39.png

With the one above, the idea was to get a manipulator on every gem socket, but we could never place it perfectly

But in short, builds like these are possible because of something that was never intended. Lately, players using glitches in recent patches have been disappointed to find that they no longer work because they have been removed from the game. Please don't let these be one of those instances, Klei.

It's balanced by cooperation of players and will only save a few tiles of space at best. It's not like I couldn't build 80 jerky racks in a small space without help, but I really just wanted it to look pleasing to the eye. 

Congratulations for your impressive build :applause:

Spoiler

However no bug in the game please.

If you like the consequence of a bug, ask the devs to make it a feature. Example, the volt goat reproduction.

But don't use a niche bug that almost nobody use apart a little number of interconnected gamers on Discord (no attack) and defend it. The vast majority of players will never know about it and that bothers me. With an official feature, everybody will know and enjoy the element of gameplay. Example, Wurt trading with the Pig King : if everybody would discuss the subject, Klei might evolve on its position. But if some players don't react on those topics or just drop a "it's fine :) Don't change nothing" while abusing a mostly hidden bug, nothing will indeed change and the game will be divided in two kind of players. One kind enjoying less the game than the other.

4 hours ago, Well-met said:

No offense but this is alot of meaningless words. One could expect you to explain whatever trick you used for this.

Basically 2-3-N people place structures at relatively same time in same spot or, in any case, closer than the game permits if placed normally. Is an old glitch and imo should be addressed one way or the other (my take: should be fixed).

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Basically 2-3-N people place structures at relatively same time in same spot or, in any case, closer than the game permits if placed normally. Is an old glitch and imo should be addressed one way or the other (my take: should be fixed).

I reported this bug a few months ago, but it is not in the repair list, I hope klei will fix them soon.

6 hours ago, Well-met said:

No offense but this is alot of meaningless words. One could expect you to explain whatever trick you used for this.

He kind of did.

11 hours ago, chirsg said:

As powerful as this can be, It is balanced by requiring many players in the same server precisely placing structures in an agreed upon place that takes incredible team work.

I didn't bother to stack furnaces. 4 furnaces are said to make max heat and they already fit on one pitchfork square. No real need. 

I truly do not think this should be fixed. It's so difficult to recreate this because of the coordination needed with others and that it will not make or break survival for those already struggling to stay alive.

This is dont starve together and this feature is quintessentially doing a task together. Please let this stay. It doesn't take away from gameplay for people who want it out of the game and it's unlikely ur able to do this without help

8 hours ago, gaymime said:

for sure i would rather it became a feature. overly-close drying racks and crockpots are something i rather enjoy in my builds and if it was a feature then i could(possibly) do it solo which would be brilliant~

I hope it stays as an unintended feature too, as it requires highly coordinated teamwork to do this, and that is the essence of DST: do something complex together and if done right, get a nice reward.

It goes well with the other aspect of the game's design which is discovery, this is still a secret of sorts that will be taught from player to player.

Also the first times you do this the results are super ugly and it becomes a very funny process.

It's not entirely gamebreaking either, you have to get the materials and craft every item anyway, and the most powerful things you can get are: 

- Stacked drying racks

- A flingo with a lightning rod

- Max heat furnaces

- A better looking well equipped boat

- A more efficient and super high energy consuming catapult circle. (Again, it still requires you to have built all the catapults anyway, and it will still consume as many gems as it would if it was more spread)

The rest of the benefits are decorative.

Personally, I think this is for DST what for skyrim was the "placing a basket on the traders head so they don't see while you steal" exploit: The devs saw it hours after the game's release, and decided it was too great and funny to patch.

Another great day when some people advocate for yet another bug/exploit to be left by devs in game because.. is convenient. Who would've thought...

With friends and a voice-chat soft this is a proverbial piece of cake to reproduce, quite the easy task. Not even that much of a coordination is needed, only have people relatively-near time-wise place desired structures on same spot and voila: have added bonus for whatever effect one wants via this bug/exploit. And it very much is a bug: else default placements won't require different spacings.

Also, thanks to yet another thread advocating for exploits to be left alone in game because convenience, I finally decided to begin reporting all the major bugs/exploits I know starting with Gate-to-Abyss and N-Krampi spawn via Glommer and Blowdarts-stuck-in-diagonally-placed-walls - also this multiple-placing bug. And I'll spam those Bug-Reports on every new Game update/QoL/etc future topic. Ty OP for facilitating my decision!

19 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Another great day when some people advocate for yet another bug/exploit to be left by devs in game because.. is convenient. Who would've thought...

With friends and a voice-chat soft this is a proverbial piece of cake to reproduce, quite the easy task. Not even that much of a coordination is needed, only have people relatively-near time-wise place desired structures on same spot and voila: have added bonus for whatever effect one wants via this bug/exploit. And it very much is a bug: else default placements won't require different spacings.

Also, thanks to yet another thread advocating for exploits to be left alone in game because convenience, I finally decided to begin reporting all the major bugs/exploits I know starting with Gate-to-Abyss and N-Krampi spawn via Glommer and Blowdarts-stuck-in-diagonally-placed-walls - also this multiple-placing bug. And I'll spam those Bug-Reports on every new Game update/QoL/etc future topic. Ty OP for facilitating my decision!

It's not about convenience it's about creativity. This "exploit" doesn't give you any significant advantage other than saving space, which means what? You could get away with fitting more stuff in flingo range? Just build it in the desert or caves and you have no need for the flingo. More crockpots around a single fridge? Just move the food to your inventory and cook in as many crockpots as you want. It's crap for practical use, the time it might save you in the long run isn't worth the effort to set it up in the first place.  And yet again, DST is PvE. No one needs to be vehemently calling for the removal of unintended bugs if they don't harm the enjoyment of others playing the game.  I don't necessarily think just leaving it in the game is the right choice but removing it without fixing the current object placement system is going to detract from some peoples enjoyment of the game while providing no benefit to everyone else. This bug itself isn't the problem that needs solving, the reason the bug is being used is the problem that needs solving.

Also I appreciate that telling the teacher on your classmates for misbehaving might feel like the right thing to do, but it's situational depending on the severity of what they're doing wrong.

19 minutes ago, D7X said:

It's not about convenience it's about creativity. This "exploit" doesn't give you any significant advantage other than saving space, which means what? You could get away with fitting more stuff in flingo range? Just build it in the desert or caves and you have no need for the flingo. More crockpots around a single fridge? Just move the food to your inventory and cook in as many crockpots as you want. It's crap for practical use, the time it might save you in the long run isn't worth the effort to set it up in the first place.  And yet again, DST is PvE. No one needs to be vehemently calling for the removal of unintended bugs if they don't harm the enjoyment of others playing the game.  I don't necessarily think just leaving it in the game is the right choice but removing it without fixing the current object placement system is going to detract from some peoples enjoyment of the game while providing no benefit to everyone else. This bug itself isn't the problem that needs solving, the reason the bug is being used is the problem that needs solving.

Also I appreciate that telling the teacher on your classmates for misbehaving might feel like the right thing to do, but it's situational depending on the severity of what they're doing wrong.

your entire post is destroyed when one can simply point out buildings have space restrictions for a reason.

however debatable and whatever the reason is, that is up to Klei, but it's there nonetheless and is part of the core game. if your post were any true, there would be no build limitations at all.

PvE is absolutely not a factor to stop including balance or limitations in a videogame. That is a poor argument that's also thrown out of the window because then why have downsides at all for characters? Why have hunger or wetness? Just give supergodmode to everyone who cares it's pve lol.

literally every other cooperative videogame made in existence has balance - lo and behold the opponents are still controlled by the computer.

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

your entire post is destroyed when one can simply point out buildings have space restrictions for a reason.

however debatable and whatever the reason is, that is up to Klei, but it's there nonetheless and is part of the core game. if your post were any true, there would be no build limitations at all.

PvE is absolutely not a factor to stop including balance or limitations in a videogame. That is a poor argument that's also thrown out of the window because then why have downsides at all for characters? Why have hunger or wetness? Just give supergodmode to everyone who cares it's pve lol.

literally every other cooperative videogame made in existence has balance - lo and behold the opponents are still controlled by the computer.

Buildings have arbitrary space restrictions for arbitrary reasons. I can place a lot of different structures very close to a drying rack but I can't place a drying rack close to another drying rack because? My post isn't "destroyed" by your opinion and complete disregard for the points I did make. I didn't say "lol it's PvE who cares" I said it's PvE and this bug hurts no one but adds an extra element to building for advanced and highly cooperative players. If it was game breaking I wouldn't be saying any of this, of course balance matters but there's a point where policing this sort of thing becomes hurtful rather than helpful, I've had the same argument before on these forums over structure walls (which I believe to be a feature not an exploit). My argument is that it hurts no one whilst providing another avenue of enjoyment for people like chrisg, personally I'm losing nothing if it gets removed but I don't appreciate this sort of thing being removed purely to satisfy people that have to exist inside the confinement of "the rules." Klei can do what they want but they should understand both sides of the argument and realise that there's a need to be met here, not just a bug to be fixed.

image.thumb.png.7478c4abd716ceb6daf5daa5d5e07b99.png

"buildings have space restrictions for a reason" - smarter person than me

Would you mind listing the reasons so I can refute them?

the inconsistencies between the various distances needs to be fixed and everybody agrees for this.

that however has nothing to do with exploiting multi-user deployments.

you're doing your very best to defend a game exploit. keep it up

2 hours ago, D7X said:

Is not so much about "creativity" as it's about function. With normal placements, one can "squeeze" 4 Drying Racks on a tile. With said exploit OP placed 10 per tile, and one can even put a lot more if so desiring. You really don't see any problem with this in regarding to space allocated for base-building and resources needed for protection?! Like, for example, amount of Flingos needed in normal circumstances for 80 racks vs the bug/exploit's case? Even in Oasis desert players need Flingos for plants and farms to function in summer. Yet with the same-spot placement bug, one only needs 1 Flingo for a lot more farms, plants etc than normally needed. If you see absolutely nothing wrong here, then what else can I say?! Enjoy your exploits (while they last). And your analogy doesn't hold water either: is not wicked-wicked me that "told the teacher lil Timmy cheated on the exam" - is your very-own Timmy telling teacher he cheated, but still wants his thesis be evaluated like in a legit case. I just point even more at lil hypothetical bragging Timmy and laugh how he-himself flamboyantly set fire to his crotch. Once more: this bug/exploit subtracts from the Survival aspect of the game, even if PvE. On grounds of my example (and much-much more).

Archived