Compressed jerky area

3 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Is not so much about "creativity" as it's about function. With normal placements, one can "squeeze" 4 Drying Racks on a tile. With said exploit OP placed 10 per tile, and one can even put a lot more if so desiring. You really don't see any problem with this in regarding to space allocated for base-building and resources needed for protection?! Like, for example, amount of Flingos needed in normal circumstances for 80 racks vs the bug/exploit's case? Even in Oasis desert players need Flingos for plants and farms to function in summer. Yet with the same-spot placement bug, one only needs 1 Flingo for a lot more farms, plants etc than normally needed. If you see absolutely nothing wrong here, then what else can I say?! Enjoy your exploits (while they last). And your analogy doesn't hold water either: is not wicked-wicked me that "told the teacher lil Timmy cheated on the exam" - is your very-own Timmy telling teacher he cheated, but still wants his thesis be evaluated like in a legit case. I just point even more at lil hypothetical bragging Timmy and laugh how he-himself flamboyantly set fire to his crotch. Once more: this bug/exploit subtracts from the Survival aspect of the game, even if PvE. On grounds of my example (and much-much more).

I'm not going to argue that it doesn't "subtract" from the survival elements of the game but I'll sure as hell argue over the amount it subtracts vs the effort and time required to accomplish it for what is a minimal advantage that would only ever feasibly be available to (again) a large group of experienced and well coordinated players who don't need to do something like this anyway to survive. It has a minute effect on average gameplay, it's harmless. If anyone wants to build 80 drying racks they can do so in the desert or in the caves and gain the same advantage and they would be better off doing so. Of course I can see the "problem" I just don't think it's one worth worrying about because everything you can accomplish with this you can do by other means perfectly legitimately and with much less hassle. I can't even fathom the amount of resources they must have lost hammering down failed attempts and trying again, isn't that enough of a sacrifice for the end result? Feeding five players for as long as this took to do, avoiding hound attacks during the whole building process. They had to survive whilst doing this don't forget. Even as a bug it's still balanced. The applications that interest me are how it can be used creatively to stack objects for decoration purposes and I'd like to see what chrisg does with this in the future.

Yes he told on himself, but the teacher wasn't necessarily listening. You've put your hand up and are screaming for the teachers attention to punish little Timmy for drawing on the desk, even though he's drawn a bloody perfect recreation of the Mona Lisa in full colour.

1 hour ago, D7X said:

I'm not going to argue that it doesn't "subtract" from the survival elements of the game...

Am glad you admit the obvious: bug/exploit diminishes the Survival aspect in an unintended manner, rhetorical. And that's what I argue. Because IS a bug/exploit and should be addressed. And it really subtracts from Survival in a pretty consistent way (as per my previous example; I can also point at placing 5 Furnaces in same spot and the efficiency of warming up Thermal Stones/Characters, on making virtually a complete base on a single Boat, and boats with N Catapults, on building 8 Sisturns in 4-square-walls space, and the list goes on - all consistent, substantial function-over-"creativity" instances). Also you cannot justify it via "think at the amount of work that went into it". First: it wasn't such a Sisyphean feat as you make it. How I've stated, you don't even need voice-chat coordination: the planner puts people on desired spots to place structures with help of GeoPlacement and Pitchfork; then does the 3,2,1 prior-agreed in-game chat countdown and they place it. And second: trust me, it IS that easy; I as well abused this bug a lot of times on pubs (of all places) with a friend and 2-3 randoms. If the randoms are competent enough to survive and understand some client-side mods functions, they are capable enough to follow some basic chat instructions, as stated, with placing pre-builds. Yes, the magnitude of mentioned problem is that high, or rather - depending on functional use/abuse (examples above) - can really be that high to warrant KLei's intervention; and I reckon this being the case.

1 hour ago, D7X said:

Feeding five players for as long as this took to do, avoiding hound attacks during the whole building process. They had to survive whilst doing this don't forget. Even as a bug it's still balanced.

Those paragraphs made me genuinely laugh. As if people purely existing on a world don't need feeding and such. Building effort strained them much, yes? Heh.

Any mildly competent player has food for themselves for at least 1-2 in-game days. And when you make any base-building project planning, you also include needed food for endeavor, and a way to counteract Hounds&Giants potential presence. Quite the funny thing to write..

1 hour ago, D7X said:

Yes he told on himself, but the teacher wasn't necessarily listening. You've put your hand up and are screaming for the teachers attention to punish little Timmy for drawing on the desk, even though he's drawn a bloody perfect recreation of the Mona Lisa in full colour.

Some KLei devs, especially JoeW, seem to look at pretty much all 1st-page threads in DST General Discussion, more so the ones with a lot of replies, mostly to assure forum rules are respected; then for info. When forumers post topics, chances are they will be seen by KLei and there is the risk, if controversial issues as bugs/exploits are of subject, other people will comment against OP's assessment, further scoring-up the comments number; hence respective topic(s) not only stick to 1st page, but even can go the "Hot Topic" route, attracting extra views. Need I write more about "people setting fire to their own crotches"?!

The "a bloody perfect recreation of the Mona Lisa in full color" analogy is beyond comical when you look at basically a square of very-squeezed Dry Racks and 3 other glitch test-placings OP did. Oh, those exaggerations...

And yes, KLei could address current concurrent-builds-placings bug (correcting it) with a future QoL/update where we also get smaller hit-boxes and better placing orders for builds, ones that don't have a priority-penalty like present one (for example placing a Fridge before Crock Pots cannot render the same distance-wise result as placing the Pots first) - as "as-intended" alternatives. By all means, more useful QoL updates addressing community's grievances - distances-between-builds being one of them. Still don't justify a clear bug/exploit this way.

Nearly 6000 posts and the ego to match, eh? I was painting a picture of what went into this, of course food isn't an issue for experienced players or hound attacks but that doesn't render them meaningless challenges. You ignored the important part there, the amount of resources being deleted by hammering failed attempts. I'm not saying it was a Herculean task that no mortal could ever hope to accomplish again I'm just pointing out that there was a cost involved that could justify the result. By however little you might think, coordinating a build like this whilst surviving is more difficult than purely surviving. The Mona Lisa bit was very deliberate hyperbole that I knew you wouldn't be able to resist commenting on so well done there. I know it's just a grid of drying racks, I'm not as dumb as you seem to think.

Thank you for providing more examples of ways it can be abused from a gameplay perspective though, the sisturn one is interesting. I haven't touched catapults before so I can't really comment on that one (but I'll look into it) and the current amount of stuff you can fit on a boat legitimately is already too much to risk losing on something so fragile so anyone willing to put more on there is welcome to take on that risk imo.

To offer a possible solution, how about giving the construction amulet a secondary function? It could bypass the current placement limitations when worn allowing you to place things much closer together (draining a chunk of durability when you place the structure). To be perfectly clear since you're still somehow not getting it. I'm not advocating for this bug to remain in the game indefinitely, I'm suggesting for it to only be removed when the reason it is being abused has been addressed.

1 hour ago, HomShaBom said:

I don't see any reason for this to be removed. Someone could just make a mod to reduce the size to then make it possible again. Honestly, would be wasted dev effort to "fix" something that's not really causing a problem in the first place.

for the decorative part no but as versus said there is a lot of cheese potential

also this can be made in pubs and not all the people want it

39 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

for the decorative part no but as versus said there is a lot of cheese potential

also this can be made in pubs and not all the people want it

Mods have a lot of cheese potential, and yet they exist.

If you don't want it in your world, hammers exist.

Just saying there are already trivial solutions in place. It's a non issue.

3 hours ago, HomShaBom said:

I don't see any reason for this to be removed. Someone could just make a mod to reduce the size to then make it possible again. Honestly, would be wasted dev effort to "fix" something that's not really causing a problem in the first place.

Well put. It's not causing a problem for anyone and people need to go through the hassle of coordinating for a sake of some space being saved. 

By the way, my build was achieved with no voice chat 

19 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Is not so much about "creativity"

my racks were absolutely about creativity. The other submissions I made in the opening post with pictures as examples were absolutely about creativity. You're very militant against anomalies in the game like you have a vendetta. Let people have their fun. I am certainly having mine and don't aspire to squeeze nothing except function from this. If I were, I would just place in the exact same space.

So yes... It is "so much about creativity" contrary to any point you make.

Making a star of david from telelocator focus and a triforce doesn't serve all that much and placing shadow manipulator on one of the gem pedestals serves even less.

The whole point of this thread is creativity.

Archived