if there would be a new character added from sw or hamlet, who would it be?

Walani- because I like Walani... she has a Surfboard and now that DST has an actual sailable ocean it just wouldn’t feel right never getting her.

To put it simply: if they can explain Warlys arrival into DST as his ship simply crashing ashore, then they can also explain that Walani went searching for him on her surfboard after he went missing.

23 minutes ago, Brubs said:

I don't think any character is going to be added either from SW or Hamlet, we already got Warly and Wormwood.

That being said, i hope we get Wagstaff, even if it is a reworked version of Hamlet

May I ask why you think this? Some people say that by adding those characters that it would take away the value of the DLCs and that may be true but only by a little bit, the only ones I DON’T see ever coming to DST are the ones that have very specific requirements to unlock- Mainly Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba 

But the ones unlocked through simple EXP Progression- Warly, Wormwood, Walani, Wheeler, Wagstaff.. they should be in the game I think.

However.. Webber, Wes & Maxwell have been in DST since its Release and THEY also had to be unlocked by special means.

So honestly- It’s entirely up to Klei who does and does not get added to DST.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

May I ask why you think this? Some people say that by adding those characters that it would take away the value of the DLCs and that may be true

Exactly because of that. But those are just my thoughts... obviously I am not the one making decisions lol

And also as i've said before i do wish Wagstaff joins DST

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

May I ask why you think this? Some people say that by adding those characters that it would take away the value of the DLCs and that may be true but only by a little bit, the only ones I DON’T see ever coming to DST are the ones that have very specific requirements to unlock- Mainly Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wilba 

Not op but 

-walani is (please don't hurt me walani cult) a boring character and is literally just wilson but can turn into weregoose. She would need a massive change to be added into dst to the point where she would barely be the same character. the dst equivalent of walani is woodie.

-woodlegs I feel like would be the best in dst from shipwrecked. He could be given craftable cannons and other boat upgrades unique to him, but it's also worrying that he would become boat Winona. 

-wilbur is just another (please don't hurt me wilbur cult) base building character who befriends mobs. We have two of those in dst and tbh we don't need another. His speed mechanics are cool I guess but unless they make his monkies more unique or emphasize his other abilities nah. The dst equivalent to wilbur is webber/wurt

-Wilba is (please don't hurt me wilba cult) wilson but with the ability to turn into weremoose. Similarly to walani, she would need some massive changes to work in dst. Not to mention a lot of her perks come from the pig villages in hamlet, and those don't really exist do they. The dst equivalent of wilba is woodie again.

-wheeler is also one I really want in dst but because Walter already had a ranged ability she would probably need some changes as well. The dst equivalent to wheeler is Walter 

-wagstaff is another another one that I also want in dst for lore and gameplay purposes. Once again though Winona already has his niche of building structures and a portable bearger stomp would make woodie and maxwell obsolete, so he would need some nerfs and changes too. The dst equivalent to wagstaff is Winona.

Warbucks is (you can't hurt me because I'm you) the best character to be added in to dst rn. He already has sounds, quotes, abilities, etc done and with some changes could fit into dst pretty well. He could get sanity from having something like gold or thulecite in his inventory instead of oincs, his ranged weapon could be a very slow and expensive but very powerful weapon opposite to Walter, his battle cry is addictive as heck to listen to, it would probably please like 99% of the dst community, klei please add Warbucks to dst, I'm running out of stuff to put in these commas, 

9 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

To everyone voting Warbucks, in case it's not just for the meme, what would you make his perks in DST?

I mean his perks were heavily based on hamlet's mechanics, and even there he was a pretty dull character.

+ Uses a arsenal of powder weaponry (usable by everyone)

+ Hunts need twice as less tracks to end and he can spawn beefalos from them

+ Can craft new boat shapes

- Culturally problematic

18 hours ago, Owlrus said:

Oh boy here we go, imma grab some popcorn. Also Warbucks, btw.

18 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Warbucks is on his way to the DST constant. Can't be prevented.

yeah i can honestly see this dude coming tbh, i mean, he was removed so, maybe? maybe they could bring in some hamlet stuff like advanced pig villages (like the cities in ham) and add the shops and slanty shanty back or something, mant queen would be a cool raid boss

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

+ Uses a arsenal of powder weaponry (usable by everyone)

+ Hunts need twice as less tracks to end and he can spawn beefalos from them

+ Can craft new boat shapes

- Culturally problematic

he could lose sanity if he doesnt have gold or a rare material on him.... but im just blabbing

15 hours ago, PrezPara said:

He already has sounds, quotes, abilities, etc done and with some changes could fit into dst pretty well.

This applies to every character, though.

And I don't know, I think most people who want Warbucks are either memeing of going through the understandable "wanting what you can't have" motions. Your post was the first time I saw anyone laying out the specifics of why they actualy think he would be interesting in DST. But I mean, sanity from carrying an item...Willow gets from Bernie and Wurt gets from fish and no one is out here talking about how that's so awesome. They're small side perks. Expensive ranged weapon would be cool I guess, but we've seen enough to know it would end up like any expensive weapon in the game: no one would use it. Like all other characters left, he would need a complete overhaul, and the decision of which is best comes down entirely to what personality we like most. 

edit: It's okay to admit a character you like is boring but you like it anyway cause of its personality or other factors. If you don't, Warbucks is pretty much indefensable. That's what everyone does about Walani. We all admit she's Wilson + surfboard but you know, cool.

I simply consider the following: DST was originally released as a stand alone expansion to DS Single Player- The Multiplayer Component was only going to ever BE DS Single Player but with Online.. However the very moment Klei added the opening Cinematic to the game- (The one where Charlie shows up, free’s Wilson & takes his place) These events happen AFTER completing DS Single Player and it is a Continuation of that Stories ending- Officially putting DST in line to be a SEQUEL instead of just a stand alone multiplayer component.

Since then- Klei has drastically changed DST further and further away from DS single player by reworking the characters abilities with new powers, adding new content into the world beyond what was in the base game, and adding exclusive characters/ Quality of life updates to DST officially acknowledging DST as the true Sequel it should’ve been years ago.

Therefore: Pretty much all the DLC characters from DS single player, could (& should) make an appearance in DST, now rather or not they WILL is entirely up to Klei.

But my broken record comment about that- Those (already established) Klei official DS franchise characters Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff they all have their following of fans who already WANT to play as them... they already have players eagerly awaiting the day their favorite playable character gets added to the game. Completely brand new characters always stand a chance of getting mixed reactions from fans- But THESE Already have a player fanbase for them.

The same could maybe be said about Warbucks.. but since Klei Thanos’d him out of the game I’m not sure if he will ever return.

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I simply consider the following: DST was originally released as a stand alone expansion to DS Single Player- The Multiplayer Component was only going to ever BE DS Single Player but with Online.. However the very moment Klei added the opening Cinematic to the game- (The one where Charlie shows up, free’s Wilson & takes his place) These events happen AFTER completing DS Single Player and it is a Continuation of that Stories ending- Officially putting DST in line to be a SEQUEL instead of just a stand alone multiplayer component.

Since then- Klei has drastically changed DST further and further away from DS single player by reworking the characters abilities with new powers, adding new content into the world beyond what was in the base game, and adding exclusive characters/ Quality of life updates to DST officially acknowledging DST as the true Sequel it should’ve been years ago.

Therefore: Pretty much all the DLC characters from DS single player, could (& should) make an appearance in DST, now rather or not they WILL is entirely up to Klei.

But my broken record comment about that- Those (already established) Klei official DS franchise characters Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs, Wheeler, Wilba & Wagstaff they all have their following of fans who already WANT to play as them... they already have players eagerly awaiting the day their favorite playable character gets added to the game. Completely brand new characters always stand a chance of getting mixed reactions from fans- But THESE Already have a player fanbase for them.

The same could maybe be said about Warbucks.. but since Klei Thanos’d him out of the game I’m not sure if he will ever return.

this is alot of words for something that comes down to "maybe"

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Completely brand new characters always stand a chance of getting mixed reactions from fans- But THESE Already have a player fanbase for them.

This part is a little weird. All characters, brand new ones too have player fanbases, just like the old ones. Maybe even bigger ones. Walter might've gotten mixed reactions, but I'd get mixed reactions if I got Walani (as in, I'd rather take chances with someone brand new than her current self). But this is all up to personal preference. 

1 minute ago, HeatAndRun said:

One vote for Wagstaff here! He has a lot of extraordinary gears and interesting downside. Oh, and the lore, of course.

1 character from Hamlet, 1 character from shipwrecked, and 1 character from vanilla don't starve. Seems fair enough.

Yep, I really want Wagstaff too, he is just so fun to play for me. And don't even get me started on the lore. But sadly, I truly do not know if he will ever come to DST. This is for a few reasons, maybe the fact that he has a lot of lore is the reason he wouldn't come, or maybe just cause his gameplay would be too similar to Winona's, which is probably the weaker point, since there are already characters that are pretty similar to each other in their "role" (see Maxwell-Woodie). In any case, I'd love to see him here, I do believe he would be a great addition gameplay- and lore-wise

Given how the Return of Them is so connected with water I would say either Walani or Woodlegs.

• Walani is, however, a very boring character. She would need a huge overhaul to be interesting.
  • Woodlegs on the other hand is interesting by default, and there is barely any need to add anything to his kit. Treasure tracking in DST is possible, and cannon upgrades for boat are "easy" to add (I mean, Winona's catapult already take the part, however you also need a generator). The only thing he needs is that he can discover more map area.
9 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

To everyone voting Warbucks, in case it's not just for the meme, what would you make his perks in DST?

I mean his perks were heavily based on hamlet's mechanics, and even there he was a pretty dull character.

The problem he had was that his identity made no sense and they wanted to change him mid-development: his title was "the gentleman hunter" (later changed to "the affluent explorer"), his artwork showed him with a bundlebuss, and he even was the first character to have a battle cry (also think he is still the only one?); but at the end of the day, he was just a "culturally problematic" archaeologist (or grave robber if you want), and the perks were not even interesting. Rant aside, what I would like to see on him (overall):

Spoiler
  • Still recovers sanity from having "money" (includes gold, gems, and similar items), and the amount of sanity is related to the value of the item and the amount he carries with him. There should be a limit on how much sanity he can heal per minute with this method. It just makes sense with his character.
  • Will not eat non-crock pot food. A more severe perk than losing 15 sanity from non-crock pot foods.
  • Overheats easily and takes more damage from overheating and fire.
  • Has a special bundlebuss exclusive to him, which uses "money" to shoot. Damage is based on the value of the "money" (NOTE: all gems would have the same value, but each gem would have different effects when used with the bundlebuss).
  • Can tame hounds to help him fight. Maybe even help him track down specific mobs.
  • Needs less hunting tracks to get a hunt done.
  • Does more damage to enemies that are at full health.
  • Can make traps:
    • Sticky trap turf that severely slows enemies that step on it. Does not work on giants.
    • Spike trap turf that does damage to enemies that step on it.
    • Poison cloud trap (not a turf) that poisons enemies around it once they step on it.

Archived