No mess water purification

I know a lot of people have probably done this one to death but I wanted to come up with a water purification method that doesn't require fiddling with timers, can be expanded easily, and uses automation gates (because I love that stuff). 

(Ignore the bridge going in, it's a relic from earlier production)

BUUiVp5.jpg

Water goes in to reservoir through shut-off. Reservoir doesn't release water due to open mechanized door. Standard.

dohIQBO.jpg

The automation part comes in with a memory toggle. As the tank is filling (to a preset level, I do 4% as it keeps a steady stream of output but it can go to any amount) The toggle is set to allow water through and open door underneath. Once tank hits full it sends a signal to toggle to close door and sends signal to shut shut-off. Buffer gate is set to something around 100 sec (I think it can be lower but you want to make sure the water is purified).

BRURT7R.jpg

Once buffer gate goes red, tank empties until it sends all-clear signal to toggle and shut-off to open back up. (Important note, either the door needs to be powered or the piping from shutoff to tank needs to be 6 or so more length as it's possible for a little dirty water to sneak through the reservoir before the door opens up.) It can be compacted down to essentially the tank/door/shut-off once the chlorine is piped in. 

Isn't the easiest way to just put three full liquid tanks with pH20 in series? 

If you suspend them in chlorine gas and they have killed off all germs any germy water flowing through them will have its germs diluted so much that they're all gone by the time it passes the third reservoir.

Just use automation to restrict flow as to not drain the first reservoir in the series too much. 

I'd say it's even less complicated and clears germs quicker than single reservoir systems. If you can supply it with continuous 10kg/s of germy water, it will give you continuous 10kg/s of germ-free water. 

I've been using it for every colony I've set up lately, and am surprised to see not many people using it. The only downside being that it requires some more space

17 minutes ago, Lilscratchy said:

Isn't the easiest way to just put three full liquid tanks with pH20 in series? 

If you suspend them in chlorine gas and they have killed off all germs any germy water flowing through them will have its germs diluted so much that they're all gone by the time it passes the third reservoir.

It is. Just make sure the first one always has some liquid level and this is simple, efficient and reliable. I usually use 5, but that is just the careful engineer in me going for overkill. There is absolutely not need for anything complex, like this solution here.

That said, anything that works deserves respect on that basis alone. Claims of superiority of a solution require a bit more though.

4 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Yes, Gurgels design is much better.  A design that uses no electricity is infinitely better than one that does.

Pretty sure this is based on his design or the conversation that went on months back.

20200711200802_1.jpg

Looks like a nice zero-power variant that uses the door to stop the flow from emptying the first tank. Although I was not aware I am the originator of the general approach ;-)

11 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Looks like a nice zero-power variant that uses the door to stop the flow from emptying the first tank. Although I was not aware I am the originator of the general approach ;-)

Maybe it was Neotuck.  It was some fine citizen.

11 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Maybe it was Neotuck.  It was some fine citizen.

back when reservoirs were first added to the game I was the first to discover they could be disabled by building them on top of mech doors (or I was just the first to post about it)  I had made an automation system that rotated between 3 reservoirs to maintain 10kg flow of clean PW

It was during that thread that some one posted about stringing 4 or 5 reservoirs in succession that allowed a constant 10kg flow of clean PW and much easier to setup than the one I posted

In the end it's more about what you have to work with, If there's a few infected PW geysers on the map than going for a constant flow system like @Gurgel works best.  But if all you have is bathroom water than something simple like this design I've posted before which works well in most closed bathroom loops

20200729024911_1.thumb.jpg.eabdc515b94affc644a880ac41acc830.jpgbath2.thumb.png.def07ad249a15b32d2ed398e9d1007c8.pngbath1.thumb.png.588b142f28667a0aebde401b43d45cc8.png

For closed bathroom loops I found that two liquid reservoirs with a bit of clever piping, zero electricity and zero automation is also enough to remove germs. How? The incoming liquid bumps out via overflow some liquid out of the clean tanks. Have a look here (not my design).

I tested it with got a clock cycle sensor set to be active for 2% and the liquid pump manages to pull at best 140 kg and at worst case scenario around 90 kg (not sure why cos the 4 clocks that I tested this with are on the same 2% active state but at different intervals in the cycle) of polluted water while it's in the active state simulating dupes taking a shower, washing hands or using the lavatory.

This has two downsides:
- you have to fill the two tanks with polluted water before constructing the overflow bridge but this shouldn't be an issue anyway
- you can't empty the the two liquid tanks are will be at 4990 kg all the time

Oh, and from my tests 4 daisy-chained liquid tanks is enough to purge a continuous flow of 10 kg of polluted water without any interruption, zero electricity or automation. Downside is that the tanks can't be emptied and only the overflow when the tanks are full will be sent out.

Edit: @Neotuck You play with 8 dupes per bathroom schedule? I'm asking cos unless you play with 8 the showers alone in their room makes no sense as have zero morale bonus.

On 9/19/2020 at 9:30 AM, Legoz said:

dohIQBO.jpg

The automation part comes in with a memory toggle.

What do you actually need the memory toggle for, or the NOT for that matter. The reservoir itself and a buffer gate is all you need to do exactly the same.

Set minimum to 1% (or something else)
Set maximum to 5% (or whatever higher value than the minimum)

When reservoir hits minimum it goes GREEN and will stay GREEN until maximum is hit
When reservoir hits maximum it goes RED and will stay RED until minimum is hit.

So all you need is a buffer gate to delay closing the door until water is cleaned.

image.png.5c0b52b6224bdd485b36e1f3fb6fbd44.png

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

10kg/s, low tech, compact, dead simple, and objectively best.

10kg/s? Sure but much less than 1% will ever need 10kg/s so kind of irrelevant
low tech? Sure but also not fail safe so a big minus there
compact? Only relative to throughput otherwise about twice as large as needed for 99.9% of people
dead simple? Sure but is it really relevant? The hard part about the build in any of it's forms is getting the reservoirs  in chlorine in the first place and that's not changed

and objectively best? By what measure exactly? Certainly not by any of the bullet points you listed.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

10kg/s, low tech, compact, dead simple, and objectively best.

Sure.

Unless you are on minibase and don't have space for it.

Or you don't have that much water to purify.

Or you want to be sure that water comes out clean no matter what.

Or few others.

Other that all that - yes, sure it is objectively best

Archived