Can we talk about Grass Walls? Changes after HD

I appreciate the devs for putting forward a most awaited visual update to some textures. Specially the Krampus Sack felt so right to have on HD. While most of these upgrades were successful, I think one seems a bit out of place: Grass Walls. Coming back to the game after a pause, I immediately noticed how dark and thick the outline for Grass Walls look like now. It looks pretty much as if the Grass Walls are burned at the edges. Particularly the lower tier Grass Walls.

Before:

latest?cb=20130130094020

After:

20200907143801_2.thumb.jpg.8341d5b596dffeace632090cd16a2b54.jpg

I think one simple fix would be to make the outline not as strong or change it to a light brown instead of black. It is way too strong of a contrast from the yellow and the thick black borders

I hope moving forward this is not the same treatment normal grass tufts are gonna get in the future. Even now compared to normal grass they stand out so much and not precisely in a good way.

20200907145124_1.thumb.jpg.4463e0367f0e041d4da9e58239a1b78d.jpg

To all the people that use Grass Walls for building and all building enthusiasts.. what do you think about this?

4 hours ago, MrDo said:

It looks a bit awkward as the color tones change except to sharpen the image and it does not match the color of the grass.

ikr? also another thing I forgot to mention is the black strokes at the bottom in the tier2,3 and 4 Grass Walls... they look also so damn dark and resemble black hair instead of grass

5 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

To all the people that use Grass Walls for building and all building enthusiasts.. what do you think about this?

Yea, right after the update there was an exact post like this, filing their complaint on these thick outlines so I came to the game after the QoL expecting  to dislike it but honestly I kinda like how they look now, it's probably an untrained personal preferance but I like things with thick outlines, it looks kinda in line with the graphics of the rest of the game.

As someone who base builds, the change from low quality to high quality is terrible to look at. The thickness of the lines is far higher then most others in the game, and just is not generally pleasing. 

For comparison, here’s 2 pictures of a beefalo pen I worked on pre wall change, and one post wall change. The old yellow coloring didn’t contrast too much from the standard savannah turf, but the new grass walls have an insane contrast now. 

69A6D262-79E5-4241-80CC-D228B00DFF3E.thumb.png.dc6c4a2fed6c45c073f3cb95a1aa0e8c.png
E2A9FBB8-BFF8-4374-BDF1-FF3946D3D5F7.thumb.png.7e84df11e34dbf7cecb89f18c86617da.png

50 minutes ago, Ohan said:

im not a fan of the new texture either :( the shading on the left side which gave the wall some perspective is gone too for some reason 

This might be simply because of camera orientation. Maybe in the first picture @FreyaMaluk 's camera was facing the wall's corner, and in the second, its front.

Can you confirm this, Freya? My computer takes too long to load the game, so I'm not willing to verify myself..

PS: I also prefer the old texture's palette with the light brown

53 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

This might be simply because of camera orientation. Maybe in the first picture @FreyaMaluk 's camera was facing the wall's corner, and in the second, its front.

Can you confirm this, Freya? My computer takes too long to load the game, so I'm not willing to verify myself..

it has nothing to do with camera orientation ... the grass outline is simply very very strong and clashes with the grass walls

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

As someone who base builds, the change from low quality to high quality is terrible to look at. The thickness of the lines is far higher then most others in the game, and just is not generally pleasing. 

For comparison, here’s 2 pictures of a beefalo pen I worked on pre wall change, and one post wall change. The old yellow coloring didn’t contrast too much from the standard savannah turf, but the new grass walls have an insane contrast now. 

69A6D262-79E5-4241-80CC-D228B00DFF3E.thumb.png.dc6c4a2fed6c45c073f3cb95a1aa0e8c.png
E2A9FBB8-BFF8-4374-BDF1-FF3946D3D5F7.thumb.png.7e84df11e34dbf7cecb89f18c86617da.png

yeap... that look super harsh... kinda takes away from the pretty look of the boof set

it look now as if there was a fire surviving boof camp with burnt grass

15 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

it has nothing to do with camera orientation ... the grass outline is simply very very strong and clashes with the grass walls

I was taking Ohan's observation to be about the shading that crosses the vertical mid-section of the walls, that we can see on the very first picture on this thread. On other pictures this "3D perspective" shading is absent, but I said this was because the shading only appears when the camera is on the diagonal angle.

Here's the new texture with the wall on the diagonal angle. I just wanted to confirm this feature wasn't removed.

Wall texture.png

2 minutes ago, Ohan said:

yeah u're right! i just checked the perspective shading is still there. a bit less noticeable though because of all the harsh black lines 

Yup, I also feel the perspective is a bit less noticeable!

1 minute ago, sinisterrkid said:

I was taking Ohan's observation to be about the shading that crosses the vertical mid-section of the walls, that we can see on the very first picture on this thread. On other pictures this "3D perspective" shading is absent, but I said this was because the shading only appears when the camera is on the diagonal angle.

Here's the new texture with the wall on the diagonal angle. I just wanted to confirm this feature wasn't removed.

Wall texture.png

oh I see... yeap... but if you compare them from the angle some of the shading got engulfed as well due to the darkness of the outline... the border is so dark and the middle shade is so light there isn't that much volume and dimension as a result. I think the old texture simply looks more realistic.

latest?cb=20130130094020

8 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

ikr? also another thing I forgot to mention is the black strokes at the bottom in the tier2,3 and 4 Grass Walls... they look also so damn dark and resemble black hair instead of grass

It is ridiculous to destroy the original image while increasing the quality, it looks like they are not official walls

I'll champion this despite not really using grass walls for decor. This should be addressed by the devs because changing up a detail such as this after years of having a general appearance being changed isn't something that sits right with me despite not really caring about grass walls particularly. 

The color scheme should be reverted to preserve a standard that has remained consistent for years of the game's lifespan.

I don't want a weird change like this negatively affecting a structure I use in the future.

If someone on this thread can forward me to a thread that addresses this in the suggestions board of the forums, that would be great.

P.S. can we get wall skins so I can buy them?

4 hours ago, Well-met said:

Today I learned people actually use grass walls. That's oustanding

They make for excellent decorative elements - namely fake grass:

grass-wall_decorations.thumb.png.d8b0253ca8d49ae4a6933a93168c8ff0.png

Current new HD Grass Walls don't blend well like their SD counterparts did. Imo a brownish border would fair better.

On 9/8/2020 at 8:10 PM, Well-met said:

Today I learned people actually use grass walls. That's oustanding

And destroyed grass walls are also used to outline the inside of the Beefalo pen as Beefalo doesn't like to stay at those grass walls so when they are in heat the Beefalo won't destroy the pen 

Archived