Which characters do you think are the most nomadic?

oof, that is actually a hard one. other than maybe winona all of them are suited to nomadic lifestyles though i suppose the easy answer would be walter and wormwood since walter has a portable chest and wormwood has a portable garden/sanity well. neither of them are tied too closely to fridges or drying racks so they could technically be the least obliged to make a perma structure though really depending on the playstyle of the person behind the screen really they all could manage it

Warly and Walter will probably be your go-to characters in terms of a nomadic lifestyle. Many of Warly's dishes have effects that pair well with the seasons he's in (not to mention he's the only character that can make crock pot foods on the go); and even if you can't get your hands on things like dragonfruit or asparagus then you still have fish cordon bleu which helps immeasurably during spring (and is not hard to make either).

Some of the following items would help Warly become truly nomadic without too much dependency on a main base:

• (optional) Willow's Lighter (he is one of the few characters that can cook foods with it on the go)
  • Portable Tent / Fur Roll (added aesthetic as well as usefulness for regaining sanity as Warly)
  • Moon Caller's Staff
  • Bundle Wrap
  • Extra-Adorable Lavae (cooking station and portable firepit)
  • Fishing Rod (for fish on the go)
  • Boomerang (for morsels on the go)
  • Ice Chester (for Thermal Stones and Ice Box utility)
  • Krampus Sack / Piggyback
  • (optional) Luxury Fan (Summer help and fire fighting utility)

Just some ideas, but there you have it.

19 minutes ago, Notecja said:

When we talk about nomandic life (no base) do you mean no science stations? No backpacks, spear etc? Without tooth trap field, proper weapons etc. most of characters would be in trouble...

i dunno, if i can play wes without any of this stuff and only die very rarely to things that aren't the weather i would hope other characters could manage it

also i don't think op meant never laying down a machine i think they just mean not staying in once place. you could totally spend a day building something, use it then break it down or ditch it without compromising on what it means to be nomadic

Webber can leave spider nests on every biome and that technically covers all his needs. Sometimes, he doesn't even need to leave the dens himself, as spiders slowly colonize the entire world if left unchecked.

I used to play on a public endless server that would go well over 5k days of absolute chaos (Strictly Endless), where bases constantly rose and fell over time, so there was no true "main base" for long.

It was really fun playing as Webber in such an enviroment where queens slowly expanded across all biomes, and my true "base" was whatever I had in my krampus sack.

Spoiler

I would go around just eating raw monster meat whenever I needed food, healing with glands or healing salves whenever I needed healing, and making a tent and sleeping whenever I needed health and sanity (I'd hammer it right after using it, and precraft another one with the materials recovered. This was before Walter).

Spiders and spider queens also provide protection against hound waves and depth worm waves.
Spiders can easily be commanded to kill treeguards, so dark swords were in no shortage either. The only thing I had troubles with such a lifestyle, was getting armor, as the ruins were almost always empty, pigs were more often than not extinct, and I had to rely on wood armor or night armor most of the time. 

In a less chaotic world, I'm sure you could secure yourself a decent supply of football helmets and thulecite crowns/armor.

I would choose between Wendy, Wigfrid, Woodie and Willow for hobo gameplay since they can deal with hound waves after day 50 alone, and efficiently, without using coward tatics like: log out or server/ log in cave or run across half of the map to find beefalo herds/tentacles ( it is not normadic life-style if you leave 10 red hounds or depths worms at cave entrances for other people to deals with in puplic servers)

If we will talk about surviving so much with nomadic lifestyle, the nomadic character will be Wormwood* I think. Yes walter have a chest but we forget chester. I think warly would be really hard to play with it. You can't eat meatballs everytime, so you must use farms and farms require building a base.

7 hours ago, Slagger said:

If we will talk about surviving so much with nomadic lifestyle, the nomadic character will be Wormwood* I think. Yes walter have a chest but we forget chester. I think warly would be really hard to play with it. You can't eat meatballs everytime, so you must use farms and farms require building a base.

Wait why Wormwood? Most of his characteristics revolve around being based in a certain location. He plants seeds on ground so its better to have them in one place to maintain them, feed the desired ones to bird, make foods from them in crock pots and save the rest in saltboxes. Bramble traps also work better built in mass and spread in a panic room. He can't heal from foods so sleeping is the best way to heal for him, again working better in a base with tents and fiestas. And for healing during fights, honey poultices work best, which desire bee boxes and maintenance

22 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Wait why Wormwood? Most of his characteristics revolve around being based in a certain location. He plants seeds on ground so its better to have them in one place to maintain them, feed the desired ones to bird, make foods from them in crock pots and save the rest in saltboxes. Bramble traps also work better built in mass and spread in a panic room. He can't heal from foods so sleeping is the best way to heal for him, again working better in a base with tents and fiestas. And for healing during fights, honey poultices work best, which desire bee boxes and maintenance

huh, i play my wormwood nomadic. all you need is a boat with a single farm plot on it and a stack of fert x''D you can do all of the zoomzoom!

22 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Its have portable farm theoretically. I thinked nomadic as staying one week and leaving but if we talk about staying one night, you are right, it's uselles. Also sanity problem can be fixed by replanting. Can use manure for healing, so you don't have to farm spiders or look for honey.

I would say Wigfrid is the best nomadic character from my personal experience, with minimal prototyping for her maximum effectiveness.

She starts off the game with two recipes for success: a weapon and armor. Her craftable helm has high durability (525 health and 80% damage reduction versus Football Helmet's 315 hp and 80% damage reduction), and is crafted with 2 gold and 2 rocks, which is something you'll find yourself having a decent amount of if you are nomadic and exploring the map. Her battle spear offers moderate damage with above-average durability (200 swings vs regular spear's 150 swings), and costing only twigs x2, flint x2, and gold x2. Needless to say, gold, rocks, twigs, grass, and flint will be your priority to collect (grass for torches, or grass for cooking food at campfires). 

As she explores the map, she can kill just about anything she finds to sustain herself, gaining useful resources in the process. Examples include rabbits, moleworms, frogs, catcoons, spiders, hounds, pigs, sometimes merms and tallbirds, or even hunting beefalo/koalaphants if the extra meat is needed. She has natural damage resistance, and a damage multiplier, which allows her to tank almost any mob you encounter early on.

With Wigfrid's 120 maximum hunger, it doesn't take much to fill her up, and you'll almost always be hunting as you travel. She can use campfires to cook food if you don't wanna lose sanity, or you can just eat food raw. With her vampiric battle perk, it's relatively easy to regain sanity. Heck, you can eat cooked monster meat, losing 3 hp and 10 sanity each time. That's not too bad considering you'll gain almost 20 hunger, which is 1/6th of her max hunger with each monster meat (or -18hp/-60 sanity for a full belly). You might be worried about her sanity draining fast from this method, however as I talked about before, her natural defensive ability gives her naturally increased survivability. Even when up against nightmare creatures, she can easily manage Them if you know the basic fundamentals to kiting them. Eventually prototyping a tent will come in handy when you need to max all your stats in an emergency.

Now for the seasons.

During Winter you will have killed enough spiders and shaved(or killed) enough beefalo for a winter hat(beefalo hat) and a thermal stone. When paired with enough grass for torches, you can keep yourself from freezing by setting lone trees or the occasional sapling/grass tuft on fire. One pro tip is to carry around a sapling or grass tuft, and plant it when you need warmth. It will burn for 20 seconds, and if you carry a shovel, you can always dig it up before it finishes burning, thus giving you a portable and renewable source of warmth (handy when in biomes without many burnable objects). Keep hunting through winter and if you need food you can always mine ice from pengull's ice formations or the Mosaic or Rocky biomes. This ice can be used as easy filler for meatballs when you throw down a quick crock pot. Additionally, you can hunt sleeping pengulls easily for stat regen or possible food.

When Deerclops comes, just stand by a roaring (yes maxed-out) camp fire (not fire pit) and tank using a battle spear or hambat (while the fire prevents you from freezing) with 1-2 helms. This method actually works with most other characters, considering they have the right amount of armor and maybe a couple healing items. With multiple tests, I concluded that you will end up with around 60% of your first battle spear, 90% of your second battle helm, 0 sanity, and around 120 health (assuming the fight is started at full stats and armor durability) by just tanking. The only issue about this strategy is that you will likely go insane before deerclops is dead, however i found that tanking any shadow creature's attacks and finishing off deer is the solution, and dealing with the shadow creatures after. 

Spring is pretty much the same, with the murdered pigs and spiders you can make an umbrella. Add your battle helm and you have 100% wetness protection.

In the Summer, you can either explore the caves, avoiding the heat completely, or try placing some fridges around key locations and swapping frozen thermal stones out for your overheated ones. If you don't have the gears or care to do this, endothermic fires are an option (but you might have to dive underground to find more grass that hasn't withered). It also helps to hold an umbrella and some kind of hat (such as a straw hat, or the eyebrella) for additional protection from the heat. 

I'm sure there's plenty more you can do, but that's most of what I can think of~ :) Let me know if there's anything i haven't considered, too.

I would say Webber. He's perfect for exploration, he eats monster meat with no penalty, can get it pretty easily by just starting a spider war which also provides you with plenty glands for healing and webs for crafting bug nets and top hats for sanity. Doesn't get slowed down from spider webs and can't stay near friendly mobs which makes basing near pig kind and any other location a little more troublesome for inexperienced players. During winter he's got his web beardy which provides a little bit of insulation as well. 2 seasons already covered with no problems.

Well, I've done it successfully for a game year (which can vary greatly in length, because I use random seasons*) more than once with Walani and Willow...

The way I do it is, lay down a science machine and prototype the following:  logsuit, spear, make a freaking alchemy engine so I can carry around a dang ROCK, endothermic fire (not pit, just fire), and earmuffs.  And then after that I leave the alchemy engine there but for present-opening purposes only. The only permanent structures I'm allowed to make are (regular) firepits, which tend to get strewn around the landscape by the time the year is done.  I can make traps, and I pack up any that haven't broken yet and take them over to the frog ponds when spring hits.   

Spoiler

dstcivday13allowedstuff.png.b65f9980dd994cd32a1d2d62b6545ce2.png

Walani poses--er...chicken-dances--by the stuff you're allowed to have in the first year. That's it.  That's all of it.  I found the backpack (at that setpiece with the rook and honey poultice) and the fishing rod (oasis), in case you're wondering. The rule is:  If you find it you can use it--but if it gets used up or burned, no more of that thing!  Until you get to the year where you _are_ allowed to prototype it, anyway.

The weather-related stuff IS necessary...I've tried without those things and...it didn't go well.  Wendy's No Science Machine Challenge ended in freezy death because she wasn't allowed to wear ANYthing to do with the cold.  It got to where she couldn't move two feet without making a fire...then ran out of fire materials and nearby trees (or was it grass?).  Oops.

I may not be playing nomadically in the same way others would, because this is actually the first chapter of my own challenge, the "March of Civilization", and the theme is more "hunter-gatherer" than "move around all the time just because".  So my staying in one place near my rabbit traps, firepit, and all the "stuff I've been collecting but can't make a chest for yet so I'm just throwing it on the ground" might not be nomadic enough for some (although I do move seasonally).  Your own mileage may vary.

...Notorious

*I COULD just make it be 70 days no matter what, but it's easier to remember "When it turns fall again, go to the next chapter" so I just do that.

Archived