Too much chlorine!

I'm not sure what happened but suddenly my exterior areas are overrun with chlorine.  I tried putting it in a tank and now I have 4 tanks full with nary a dent in how much space it occupies.  I've started carbon skimming the CO2 to give more space for the chlorine to sink down but I wonder if there are any other measures to get rid of it?  I just got a puflet from the printing pod but I don't know how to transfer it from inside the base to the area where the chlorine is.

Flying critters require a special trap:
Airborne_Critter_Bait.png?version=b45bf4b251e14da700f053eec7d47016

It's called airborne critter bait. It requires bait, specifically slime attracts pufts. Not sure if it works on puftlets though. The simpler method is just finding wild eggs, issuing a sweep command and making sure there's only one storage place where they can go (into the designated puft ranch).

Other methods of dealing with chlorine that piles up, besides feeding it to sqeaky pufts and liquifying it are as follows:

Vent it into a door chomper.

Vent into infinite gas storage.

Vent into space.

I personally use my excess chlorine by pumping it into slime biomes to replace their polluted oxygen and co2. Once it's fully pressurized to 2kg and only contains chlorine, you can mine it out in relative safety without having to worry about slimelung. And as long as it doesn't fall into a puddle, the chlorine kills the germs off the freshly mined ore/slime pretty fast.

Door chomper (simple):

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fc337a4c5492106a80a331840be349ab.png

image.thumb.png.31d8027575f8b1397a75cdc2a0a01a43.png

The timer is set to 3s red, and 30s green. I've found that to be a good rate for handling a maxxed out vent pipe. Note that it does limit the throughput slightly, but more complex designs can get around this.

Complex open-air door chomper:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1f8c2c9997e7abd9023b95555e645abf.png

image.png.97d3fb5724c49c839efb4f37fe563460.png

For the above, the timer is set to 6s red, and 45s green (you can use smaller green or larger depending on how long you want to give the gas to equalize). The buffer and filter are both set to 3s, the filter controls the outer doors, and the buffer controls the inner doors. This way, the outer doors close, sealing in the gases, then the inner doors close, destroying it, then they open up  to let more gas in. Be aware though, it can destroy gases quickly, and it will happily eat your oxygen too if you aren't paying attention. Some additional logic can be used to fix that though.

Edit: if you couldn't tell, I'm on the Arboria map and using primarily rust deoxydizers for oxygen production since I have tons of salt and rust laying around. Nice source of free iron too if you can deal with the excess chlorine.

Edit 2: btw, if you do decide to try building a door chomper, it's easier if you set the doors to "open" instead of "auto" as you work, and take care hooking up automation wires. It can help to have a logic switch nearby connected so you can force the doors open.

I presume the puft needs to be in the same spot as the chlorine.  I'll try making a ranch there.  I'm not a fan of the door chomper, I'll have to think about the infinite gas storage (just a room with a high pressure vent, right?) and I've just discovered space so can't vent just yet.

3 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I'll have to think about the infinite gas storage (just a room with a high pressure vent, right?) 

Either vent works as long as it's covered by less than either 2 or 20kg of liquid (depending on normal versus high pressure) that can be temporarily displaced down or to a side. 

3 hours ago, cpy said:

All critters can be wrangled. Just build room around them, build critter drop off and set max critters to 0, then autowrangle and job's done!

And the law of unintended consequences (in its instance as the law of unintended functionality) strikes again! Nice.

It will take a lot of time to get Squeaky Pufts going. You might find some in rust biomes if your map has those. Have you checked around for there being a chlorine geyser? Look around for an open one in your caustic biomes, as that'd be the most likely culprit for there being tons and tons of chlorine.

4 hours ago, Gurgel said:

And the law of unintended consequences (in its instance as the law of unintended functionality) strikes again! Nice.

Really it's pretty silly that we're supposed to trap airborne critters when dupes can wrangle things that are on ceilings, especially when the traps cost resources. The old, awful system should not have had any remnants left. Of course, we still have the utter absurdity that is incubators only existing so dupes can hug eggs once a cycle, when they take a continuous 240w of power and put out ridiculous heating.

No open geysers that I don't want, so it's most likely the off-gas from my containers.  The area was full of CO2 so when I didn't see any chlorine in the area, I thought the CO2 was enough to keep it from off-gassing.  Maybe I was wrong and it still was off-gassing, but just kept getting pushed out of the area straight away due to the CO2.

53 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

No open geysers that I don't want, so it's most likely the off-gas from my containers.  The area was full of CO2 so when I didn't see any chlorine in the area, I thought the CO2 was enough to keep it from off-gassing.  Maybe I was wrong and it still was off-gassing, but just kept getting pushed out of the area straight away due to the CO2.

Never rely on gas pressure to prevent offgassing when it's a different gas between the two. If for even a moment, pressure is too low, then gas gets put off, and then that gas' low pressure leads to further gas being released every time it passes over. On top of that, the one-element-per-tile mechanic can easily destroy gases, messing with both the pressure in the area and potentially losing you precious desired offgassing.

Always put offgassing materials in sufficiently-deep liquid pools in secure areas; this can be easily accomplished with automatic dispensers on sweep only and sweeping up every offgassing material you don't want doing its thing.

Maybe bleach stone lying around. It's why I quickly sweep up bleach stone and slime to prevent any messes.

I've just discovered space so can't vent just yet.

You don't need much. Just a tiny bit at the bottom for an air vent. Doesn't even need exo suits. Put in the vent and then seal it with a tile or an airlock door

On 7/28/2020 at 8:04 PM, Nebbie said:

incubators only existing so dupes can hug eggs once a cycle, when they take a continuous 240w of power and put out ridiculous heating.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man.

Maybe they exist so that we can exercise our automation muscles. sips a white russian

2 hours ago, TheMule said:

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man.

Maybe they exist so that we can exercise our automation muscles. sips a white russian

One of my favorite movies lol...

18 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

What's the minimum liquid needed?  Like if I have a a tile with a storage container on it for the bleach stone, how much liquid minimum needed so it doesn't off-gas?

1,800g of liquid or gas pressure prevents offgassing. 

38 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

1,800g of liquid?  That's 1.8Kg and a tile only holds 1kg liquid?

A tile can hold 1000kg of liquid, but depending on viscosity, most liquids will spread out to adjacent tiles well before then (for crude it's something like 350g before it seeks adjacent tiles, which can make crude liquid locks quite annoying to set up), so you want the tile to have a tile on each side of it.

23 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

most liquids will spread out to adjacent tiles well before then (for crude it's something like 350g before it seeks adjacent tiles, which can make crude liquid locks quite annoying to set up)

Replace with naphtha and it will be stable up to 40kg in one tile.

5 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Replace with naphtha and it will be stable up to 40kg in one tile.

I heard naphtha was good for that, but 40kg? Sheesh, I've been missing out from not having any accidents with my plastic for a while.

Archived