Boats Destroyed Too Easily Now - Not Investing in Them

I left my boat at night with no hands, returned in morning and it was destroyed.   All this while I'm on a small island.   These hands are too powerful, definitely not investing much into boats any more.

Only build a tiny boat that’s just a platform and paddle, you will be fine.

(But also I’m kidding..)

I think the only serious Nerf Wavey needs is that he only attacks boats that are actually within your render distance.. otherwise he’s just wrecking ships when your a million miles away from them to protect them.

But- if he got that nerf.. what’s going to stop players from filling up their Sanity before getting on their boat knowing he doesn’t spawn until they’re actually NEAR the boat? It would Kinda defeat the entire purpose I would think... but heck what do I know?

11 minutes ago, Hornete said:

This doesnt sound right.

Wavey Jones will only spawn if a player is on a boat. I think he may have spawned right as you left your boat, that's quite too bad.

several people have reported him spawning while they were off of the boat

As much as i like boating, Wavey bring nothing but frustration most of the time. If I'm ashore during the night, he will relentlessly attack my boat even if i'm at the edge of a screen. It's not a whole lot of fun babysitting your boat the entire night in winter if you're lacking just about 30 sanity from the maximum. 

59 minutes ago, Hornete said:

This doesnt sound right.

Wavey Jones will only spawn if a player is on a boat. I think he may have spawned right as you left your boat, that's quite too bad.

That is not correct.  Wavey will appear if your boat is near you, even if its off screen.  He also works very fast.  He just stole my boat in the time it took for me to fight a single crawling horror.  Except that I zoomed out to watch him work he wouldn't have even been on screen.

1 hour ago, gaymime said:

several people have reported him spawning while they were off of the boat

39 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

That is not correct.  Wavey will appear if your boat is near you, even if its off screen.  He also works very fast.  He just stole my boat in the time it took for me to fight a single crawling horror.  Except that I zoomed out to watch him work he wouldn't have even been on screen.

Hmm... looking at the code a bit more, the game will only spawn a certain entity on a boat if the players on it
image.png.8e5a35318b33751974c1c70480d78173.png
This is what the "GetCurrentPlatform" function checks for, whether or not the player is on a boat.

However, instead of spawning wavey jones himself the game will spawn a "marker" entity of sorts, after 10 seconds the "marker" entity will then spawn wavey jones and his hands themselves. And it'll spawn Wavey jones 10 seconds after again once he disappears from a player stepping on him.
image.png.b16302e9ded9f56ccd76f8a40fc07660.png(the RESPAWN_TIMER variable here is 10 seconds)

So, if i'm reading this correctly, this marker entity will only spawn if a player is on a boat, and the 10 second timer will start, but this timer won't be stopped or delayed if the player leaves the boat.

If Wavey Jones is spawning even if the player has never stepped on a boat in the night at all.... then that sounds bugged.

6 minutes ago, Hornete said:

snip

oh! so it IS a bug, thankyou so much for uncovering this~ now if we only knew where the erroneous code is that is allowing davey to spawn without a proper boat-check(or allowing it even if the check comes back false)

29 minutes ago, gaymime said:

allowing davey to spawn without a proper boat-check(or allowing it even if the check comes back false)

Davey can spawn if the player isnt on a boat, its the "marker" entity I talked about which is spawning. The marker entity will only spawn if the player is on a boat, Yes it can even spawn if youre on a boat for 5 seconds or less. the "marker" entity will keep spawning Wavey Jones even if the player is not on the boat. This is how its intended.

I don't think there is any bug here, I've done tests in game and things seem to be working as intended.

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

Davey can spawn if the player isnt on a boat, its the "marker" entity I talked about which is spawning. The marker entity will only spawn if the player is on a boat, Yes it can even spawn if youre on a boat for 5 seconds or less. the "marker" entity will keep spawning Wavey Jones even if the player is not on the boat. This is how its intended.

I don't think there is any bug here, I've done tests in game and things seem to be working as intended.

there are people who do not touch the boat at all and davey is still triggered as soon as any player passes within a screen of the boat whose sanity is down. no contact needed.

Just now, gaymime said:

there are people who do not touch the boat at all and davey is still triggered as soon as any player passes within a screen of the boat whose sanity is down. no contact needed.

I'd be interested in seeing videos if you got them.

Not to mention he can do more than 200 damage to the boat + leaks. Depending where Wavey Jones spawned and how close the patches are, he potentially can insta destroy a ship if you are not quick enough.

1 minute ago, wc273095385 said:

I have posted similar posts and have the same experience as you. They told me that I need to be more than 75% san

If you are playing on Xbox (or PS4) pressing your Trigger button will pull up your characters current stats, so you can see the % of your Sanity.

Im not sure about PC, but I’m sure they have a way of checking those stats without mods as well. :) 

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think the only serious Nerf Wavey needs is that he only attacks boats that are actually within your render distance.. otherwise he’s just wrecking ships when your a million miles away from them to protect them.

YES!    I mean, the way it works now would seem to be totally counter-intuitive to how everything _else_ meta-works in Don't Starve/Together. Mainly, that going fully off screen from something makes it NOT happen!  Aka, the Observer Effect. 

Like how things only burst into flame in your camp in summer if you don't have a fling-o-matic _and stay there_, whereas if you leave, camp's fine!  That's WHY "going nomadic" works, and is a valid tactic.  I've also done stuff like siccing the Deerclops on a poor herd of beefalo, then immediately leaving because if you don't SEE Clopsy kill every single one...there might be some left in the spring.

So, something that can spawn when you're COMPLETELY not there, a thing that can happen whlie _no_ player is there to observe it, a tree that does, in fact, make a sound when there's no-one there to hear, is TOTALLY against the way the rest of Don't Starve works, and therefore really unintuitive, at least for experienced players.  _I_ would assume that leaving the boat alone would make it SAFER...

TL;DR:  I dun want bullies smashin' up mah stuff when I ain't there ta stop 'em.

Also fancy elaborate boat bases are awesome and shouldn't become a thing of the past.

...Notorious

Keeping your sanity aboves 75% or playing step-on Wavey Jones head 15 times in one night is not hard nor fun, it's plain annoying. And if everyone just top up full sanity on boat, never experience Wavey Jones ( not even mention claw-shadow sea creature) then the feature seems like a waste.

5 hours ago, Hornete said:

I don't think I would call it "working as intended," because all code does what it is, but that doesn't mean it does what is intended.

It seems you do need to be on the boat to spawn wavey, the problem is that wavey doesn't go away.  Once he's there you're stuck wasting your entire night chasing him off.  Its not like the shadow hands that grab your fire, where they only come when you light natural fire and go away completely when they've been addressed.  Wavey is especially persistent, requiring no trigger and never despawning until the night is over.  Even if you step on him he will come back no matter what in a short time, and if you jumped off your boat, and he hasn't shown yet, but his trigger to appear was there, you're a screen away and he's sinking your boat.  He can also spawn behind structures preventing you from stepping on him.

If this is the intended behavior for Wavey, which it might be - then this topic is dead on.  Boats are beefalo tier.  Invest in them at your own peril knowing they are both nearly useless, and at risk of total loss for even the slightest misplay.

15 minutes ago, gaymime said:

the ps4 bugfix includes wavey not showing up on boats that are unmanned so i think the pc version of the game ought to have the fix pretty soon as well

Definitely nice to see that for sure!

There were also some other changes, but in particular:

- Wavey Jones will be chased off permanently for the night after several attempts.

- Wavey Jones will only pop off boat patches if the lowest crew sanity is 25% or less.

- Wavey Jones won’t show up on a boat that is empty. (Already covered, but might as well show how it was written in the patch notes)

Archived