Grifting through the files (aka Datamining)

38 minutes ago, pacovf said:

Hmmm...

Inspiration for the Jake icon?

Hmm, I wonder if that implies the faction had it's roots in Japanese-descendant settlers during the Vagrant Age

Also the Admiralty icon seems to have a tree in it. I guess that's the, uh, Deltree?
faction_newdeltree.png.9711dfb80b0b299d6

@Sei Bellissima

This is just gloriously Smith-y haha
power_through_tex.png.57ca68f0706ca587c4

The team must have had a lot of fun making his cards

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Does anyone know if anything special happens when you spare Day 1 boss as Rook? Any way you can benefit from sparing them?

Cuz I know that as Sal you can meet Day 1 and 2 bosses later on. But so far nothing like this for Rook.

I spared Eonwe in one of my Rook runs but I don't recall getting rewarded from it other than the game giving you a battle card, as usual. Here's the dialogue if you're interested, though (from rook_story_dead_drop_day_1.lua, "player" is rook, "agent" is the boss)

Right after the fight:

Spoiler

Threekwa:

agent:
                        !injured
                    player:
                        $miscMocking
                        Well, there you have it. Seems very little has changed.
                        But what am I to do with you now?
                    agent:
                        $scaredFearful
                        N-nothing. I'll leave the way I came. The bog will cover my tracks behind me.
                        Nobody has to know I was here, and I won't mention you to anyone.

Eonwe:

agent:
                        !injured
                    player:
                        !shrug
                        Come now, old friend. Surely this has gone on long enough.
                    agent:
                        If I walk away now, it's to Hesh's judgment.
                        Surely you know that's worse than whatever fate you could deal me.

The game gives you the option to kill them off here, or to spare them.

Sparing them:

Spoiler

Threekwa:

player:
                        $angrySeething
                        Next time you come wondering what I'm up to, remember the usual rewards that await a curious cat. 
                    agent:
                        $scaredFearful
                        J-just talk normal, you damn old coot. 
                        But fine, I get the picture. See you never—you can be sure of that. 
                        !exit

Eonwe:

player:
                        I suppose so. But that will at least be of your own making.
                        May you keep to the shallows, as much as you're able.
                    agent:
                        !exit
                    * {agent} disappears into the trees, dragged along by the will of {agent.hisher} god.

Killing them:

Spoiler

Threekwa:

player:
                        $neutralResigned
                        Alas, I wish I could believe you, old friend.
                        But your memory is also too good. And I'd just rather be forgotten. 
                    agent:
                        !exit
                    * It's a quick pull of the trigger to finish {agent.himher} off, and easy work to drag the body into the brush. The scavengers will do the rest.

Eonwe:

player:
                        $neutralResigned
                        Yes, I suppose that's true. 
                        Consider this a small mercy, then. 
                    agent:
                        !exit
                    * It's a quick pull of the trigger to finish {agent.himher} off, and easy work to drag the body into the brush. The scavengers will do the rest.

Aside from brawls, references and dailies there is no other mentions of these two in the files, so I'm pretty sure they don't show up later if you spare them.

2 hours ago, minespatch said:

How many different spark baron outfits are there? Might need references.

Gotcha some pics using the Build Tester here (The best quality I can get them at least, my laptop's native resolution is 1366x768 so it's not the best):

Spoiler

SPARK_BARON_GOON

Capture.thumb.PNG.c059ea5c374496abf99c5edd74008abb.PNGCapture12.thumb.PNG.7e0137e7fcf93f1e0caa46ba1e35dc4b.PNG

SPARK_BARON_GOON_PROMOTED

Capture1.thumb.PNG.9fac95f9c03013c2b97e2a755ddac803.PNG
SPARK_BARON_PROFESSIONAL

Capture2.thumb.PNG.c0a907c6af494d2bcf3fe8a87ccce1f4.PNG
SPARK_BARON_TASKMASTER

Capture3.thumb.PNG.27cfe95a00f03684097784df1af47db5.PNGCapture4.thumb.PNG.7990e4d51e50b74f27151105fd0f4e3d.PNG
SPARK_BARON_AUTOMECH

Capture5.thumb.PNG.3c7bd198689cff5fcc14c768497950c5.PNG
PLOCKA

Capture6.thumb.PNG.4fe41af6a1a87519ccb39ac47ccdb3bb.PNG
DRONE_GOON

Capture7.thumb.PNG.57a6b475fb18f0072bfb6c0834aade3b.PNG
KASHIO

Capture8.thumb.PNG.8f92760fb4602794f0b4a6584ef1b8a5.PNG
SPARK_BARON_BOSS

Capture9.thumb.PNG.75c60d0a425978a9e624a2bd01fe0446.PNG
SPARK_CONTACT

Capture10.thumb.PNG.696b313599c3936bcf6c61f9ac59955b.PNG
SPARK_SECOND

Capture11.thumb.PNG.3426483924c8467ba8d5f0abb24304f2.PNG

1 hour ago, iLoveBees said:

This is just gloriously Smith-y haha

Yup, it's Smith for sure lmao

6 minutes ago, Sei Bellissima said:

Aside from brawls, references and dailies there is no other mentions of these two in the files, so I'm pretty sure they don't show up later if you spare them.

If you look at the code, it will show that if they are alive at the end of the fight, they will retire. A retired character retains their relationship, but will not show up in the future, anywhere. They basically disappear.

That makes the bounty hunt quest especially punishing if you leave the bounty alive, because they will hate you and retire, leaving you with a permanent bane.

honestly, off topic here, but since they just said something about eonwe and threekwa...

eonwe's drops (or "death trophy", if you're fancy) is way too strong for it's own good. namely since boss rush and the rook assassin encounter, 1 evasion is awesome because it has burnout instead of expend. due to that, rook can't make that much use of it since he has no discards in his main battle deck. SAL however has many discard options, meaning a near consistent source of evasion every battle so long as you discard the item before the turn ends...

that's all, continue your datamining adventures.

@TaschDraws

So that look itself doesn't have a file. All the characters have a template and separate images for each possible eye, mouth, nose permutation, and the game combines those into a certain face when the script is run. This particular face is made by the "humoring" emote combined with "talking" at the same time.

The best way to get a png of that face would be to go into the Build Tester from the Tools menu, add Rook, check "Solid Background" and make it a bold color, and record the game while making do that emote while talking. Do it a bunch of times so you're more likely to get the perfect combination and then go through the video footage frame by frame until you find it. Then screen cap and remove the background with an image program like paint.net or something.

I tried it myself, but couldn't find the right combination. This is the best I could come up with:

Rare Rook.png

Oh yeah @iLoveBees he might actually just be smiling or something in the screenshot I grabbed, I just accidentally caught him right at the end LOL - how do I access those tools again in the Epic version? I thought I saw something about an easy shortcut like Ctrl+T or Ctrl + ~, but neither are working and I can't seem to remember where the post talking about that went.

3 minutes ago, TaschDraws said:

Oh yeah @iLoveBees he might actually just be smiling or something in the screenshot I grabbed, I just accidentally caught him right at the end LOL - how do I access those tools again in the Epic version? I thought I saw something about an easy shortcut like Ctrl+T or Ctrl + ~, but neither are working and I can't seem to remember where the post talking about that went.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:33 PM, SpicyNiceCream said:

Type Ctrl+T like how you normally did with Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V.

Oh and yeah you need the --debug thing.

On 7/14/2020 at 9:39 PM, RageLeague said:

Enable debug mode on steam by go to Properties > Set Launch Options and add "--debug". Then typing Ctrl+T will actually do something.

Steam version

12 hours ago, warlepidoptera said:

I just wanted to say that I'm really loving this thread! Thank you yall for this datamining, I really appreciate it

You're welcome! and like I said in the OP, if there's anything in particular you'd like, let me know and I can grab it for ya.

6 hours ago, TaschDraws said:

how do I access those tools again in the Epic version?

I don't have the Epic Launcher myself but according to google you have to open settings, select the game (in this case, Griftlands) then check "Additional Command Line Parameters" and then an"edit" box will appear. enter "--debug" without the quotes into it

Alternatively you could assemble the face as I just discovered a super easy way to recolor the body parts today:

head_rook_build_zip_atlas0_recolored.thumb.png.c4ef0e5b8f491afa529c58643d33c977.png

Here's my attempt at replicating that face:

hehehehe.png.c24cc20ad9d1bff2093a056e8f2f1d45.png

Now, there's actual animation files that put the body pieces together but they haven't been figured out yet (I might take a crack at it if I learn enough C# or some other programming language) so until they are, this is probably the way to go.

Also if you want his hat on this let me know and I'll get to it in time; I've got some IRL stuff to take care of at the moment

• Developer

Hey Guys!
There was a question about the card art and how it's done. Typically they are first designed and then I (Jouste) make a temp art version usually based on what the theme and style the card is trying to show, It's fast and sloppy and really just there as a loose blueprint. You've probably seen them kicking around experimental or the files, they have a big TEMP label on them so it's easy for our artist Daniel Yu to find them and then knock them out of the park and make them game ready with a final pass.

So really it's a big collaboration, if Dan has a better idea that flows more he just puts it in the final art of the card (like the great addition of the lumin rat in this one for example). It's been a lot of fun and even though the cards are technically "drawn" twice, I think that it's what makes them pretty great to look at and enjoy. Hope that answers some questions!

card_art_klei.png

18 hours ago, minespatch said:

What's that grey hat?

I don't think that's used, actually. I looked at the build tester and I don't see it anywhere...

3 hours ago, jouste said:
Spoiler

Hey Guys!
There was a question about the card art and how it's done. Typically they are first designed and then I (Jouste) make a temp art version usually based on what the theme and style the card is trying to show, It's fast and sloppy and really just there as a loose blueprint. You've probably seen them kicking around experimental or the files, they have a big TEMP label on them so it's easy for our artist Daniel Yu to find them and then knock them out of the park and make them game ready with a final pass.

So really it's a big collaboration, if Dan has a better idea that flows more he just puts it in the final art of the card (like the great addition of the lumin rat in this one for example). It's been a lot of fun and even though the cards are technically "drawn" twice, I think that it's what makes them pretty great to look at and enjoy. Hope that answers some questions!

card_art_klei.png

Oh wow, thanks for sharing this! Really cool to have some insight on the process of things :D

On 7/23/2020 at 11:42 PM, minespatch said:

Can I get a animation of rook flipping his coin? Need it for a future ref.

My laptop doesn't have the power to record things so I gif-ed a youtube video, hope this is good enough until those animation files are figured out

ezgif-4-3a06d9083d5e.gif.8c1ebdc09855d3368e135aefb584e35d.gif

If anyone's played Smith's preview during the past week; you've probably noticed there's a new mission, that can give you a purchasable card! I'll post those tomorrow, along with those new defensive card icons for Sal and Rook. It's like, midnight where I am and I gotta go to bed lol

12 hours ago, Sei Bellissima said:

My laptop doesn't have the power to record things so I gif-ed a youtube video, hope this is good enough until those animation files are figured out

image.png.44655d64f52b1bd717937879eac96cc5.png

I eperated the frames  but it seems the animation is missing a frame(unless it's a artistic decision form the devs). I thought there was a particular frame which shows the thumb propelling the coin but it looks like the animation just shows him swinging his arm up wile doing so. I guess it's just a shotcut since it's hard to see a smear in between arm motions.

9 hours ago, minespatch said:

I eperated the frames  but it seems the animation is missing a frame(unless it's a artistic decision form the devs). I thought there was a particular frame which shows the thumb propelling the coin but it looks like the animation just shows him swinging his arm up wile doing so. I guess it's just a shotcut since it's hard to see a smear in between arm motions.

Probably is a shortcut; just looked at the original video and it looks like it just goes straight to him sticking his thumb up. The animation in this game flows really smoothly; not many smear frames to find, from what I can tell.

So how about that new daily type? I think it's pretty fun, especially with those new protective cards. Check 'em out (I discovered that you can get much better quality exports out of the card viewer if you do "Preview Decks")

deck_1595686734.thumb.png.6243e0a05f28d5ff05614b16c9acbd9a.pngdeck_1595687137.thumb.png.645113afc9cac152921f64f813e53a86.png

And the icons:

Spoiler

reflector_shield_tex.png.d7ce194aa8d109e5bb7d0b4011dbc4a9.pngrelease_valve_tex.png.1c13f16fab5631ac58c1b4f22d4055a3.pngsentinel_tex.png.7439ec3982f35d27ae5e6a4b9d03638c.pngsingle_out_tex.png.a79b49254009503cda00888c1046ab77.pngtemper_tex.png.8d503fc69e4dbed9c604b983edbb55d6.pngblood_guard_tex.png.09e9d2b20e6deebd0e65524e6b23bf6b.pngbodyguard_contract_tex.png.f1bedf4bb32859ba89b8b7fe0e2405ae.pngcasings_tex.png.b4372b15def551050c1863bcc3a9fc3c.pngchallenger_tex.png.68e620de804deefb36c117c94622d9cc.pngfixed_tex.png.354d4ab82eab8379977cceb094f12f86.pngget_down_tex.png.6ffbbee78c367e5600e75afc59925420.pngmisdirection_tex.png.7c51ca23b6176e0beef7af14f71a864e.png

Also have some of the special daily card icons (I know these aren't all of them; my folder's becoming quite the mess already and I gotta sort through some things LOL):

Spoiler

boots_blaster_tex.png.b9b038e7b645135f5e2d357e1ae147d2.pnglegacy_blade_tex.png.43b1e08cc11ac4e3078043a357ebdcc8.png

bring_it_on_tex.thumb.png.1b3b215872cf41798e68d519dc3842e1.png

I have no idea why bring_it_on is so big compared to like all the other icons. Seriously it's like, five times bigger sheesh

And now for Smith's side of things, Rampart now has a temp icon:

rampart_tex.png.0d1b629ba4985ac9f1d00d3026ea2f2a.png

And the new mission stuff; sticking it in a spoiler because I'm gonna talk about the it a little (all the dialogue and such is from side_smith_rare_imports.lua):

Spoiler

deck_1595687906.thumb.png.58d1f351c736f265c6e3d6813ab09024.pnglumin_wine_tex.png.3c178647fc0ef56e4c3ee189cdfb839d.png

Moreef sends Smith out to get some "Lumin Wine" to help bring in more money. Apparently it's banned but the Cult uses it to allegedly "Bring them closer to Hesh". And it's expensive too, 300 shills a pop: though after finishing the mission Smith can get them at a discount, 100 shills.

Anyhow; Smith goes out to the ship to get the wine and first faces a Jakes Dockhand. Taking care of them with negotiation routes will send them looking for the crate and then this happens:

* You hum an old drinking song to pass the time.
                * Just when you're getting to the good part, your performance is interrupted by the dour presence of the Faith.

A Heshian acolyte has come to collect a bribe and unless Smith pays it; the dockhand won't be happy with him.

On the way back, Smith runs into a Spree goon that tries to steal the goods. You could choose to give it all away but then you won't be able to buy it at the bar later. On that note there's another option to offer only a small portion of the goods and I must say, Smith's train of thought is so funny:

I get it. You're a bandit. You do banditry.
                    But these don't belong to me. They belong to a friend of mine.
                    So if I give them to you, I'll be letting my friend down.
                    And that will make them very sad. Which will also make me sad, because I'm a good friend.

How about I give you just a little bit, so that nobody is the wiser?

Well either way Smith gets back. At the end of it all, if he delivered the wine, Moreef makes his offer ("agent" is Moreef, "player" is Smith):

agent:
                    Well, the good news is that we're stocked with Lumin wine now. I'll let you buy them at cost, because you're so helpful.
                player:
                    I have to pay? What is this, the Grout Bog?
                agent:
                    I know better than to give you an open bar.

Wise decision, Moreef. XD

I've actually been working on organizing the sprites for another game so I've been busy since my last post here (look me up on the spriters resource if you're ever visiting it's quite a big game I'm working on lol) so here's some stuff real quick! Those portraits you see of the heroes before boss fights, in fact. They're stored just like the menu portraits, with some lines and colors separated. No highlights this time though. I'm gonna look for the bosses' ones next

Sal:

Spoiler

hero_sal_outfit1_slide_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.ccfc60ee550be64ac4785c396087c554.pngSal.thumb.png.cc868baefcfe592cbba933c3ac9a4270.png

Rook:

Spoiler

hero_rook_outfit1_slide_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.c19ecacd8f927c932ced3056dc2a66dc.pngrook.thumb.png.8c178dd6bf15f6e442ffd6ccbe830e27.png

Smith:

Spoiler

hero_smith_outfit1_slide.thumb.png.f11d1cb4f77c51594ec07a6f906e3b43.pngsmith.thumb.png.cb28464af7f1d6c0d3ee22ca03be8e97.png

The folders these were in had "outfit1" in the name so I'm wondering if we're eventually gonna get different versions of these for the other outfits...

13 minutes ago, Sei Bellissima said:

I've actually been working on organizing the sprites for another game so I've been busy since my last post here (look me up on the spriters resouw

Hide contents

smith.thumb.png.cb28464af7f1d6c0d3ee22ca03be8e97.png

jesus christ perfect timing. i have the perfect picture to compare the lad to...ahem...

image.jpeg.87f0a4e29146f75ddd99c346898bbd59.jpeg

On 7/27/2020 at 10:11 PM, Wumpus the 19th said:

jesus christ perfect timing. i have the perfect picture to compare the lad to...ahem...

oh my god I can't unsee it askjdhakhsd also y'know what this is probably a super unpopular opinion especially considering I've never read the original book but I liked that movie, I thought it was cute

Anyway, good news: I found the boss slides. Bad news: I am running on limited time, AND the Spark Baron boss ones have these weird glowy effects I'll need more time to figure out. For now I only have these two to show for my efforts:

Hanbi:

Spoiler

boss_assasin_hanbi_slide_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.e401f3bbc52e770f32f4c78c5544ce90.pnghanbi.thumb.png.2aa64e35020d350eb88b975f57537db5.png

Zyn:

Spoiler

boss_assasin_zyn_slide_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.899b5893b9eb9e30f45cf2e49bdf07f8.pngzyn.thumb.png.ba2f71c9a22e45c22dad3ec95d373415.png

Archived