Grifting through the files (aka Datamining)

I'm gonna be away from my laptop for a bit so here's some more menu portraits:

Sal, unassembled:

Spoiler

menu_sal_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.5087882ba384d4b17ad3b394ebdb1c6a.pngmenu_sal_highlight_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.d83daa19ff5c3a2832f0467edbdf9117.png

Sal, assembled:

Spoiler

Without shadow:

sal1.thumb.png.5d5589570f9def9ea2cb9692306c496e.pngsal3.thumb.png.a4122d54ad9e7ebee2ae3986b392efe0.png

With shadow:

sal2.thumb.png.48723fbc5e525efc7edb6fc4e34af5cb.pngsal4.thumb.png.7bef027af6c9cb92b80bdf952d51c0c2.png

The highlights were lowered to 90% this time around.

Nadan and Kashio already came assembled, oddly enough:

Spoiler

menu_nadan_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.d8bdc959c1b4e00029432ef27bf197fb.pngmenu_kasio_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.9c085c97e12ba797719e26edf009ea1f.png

1 minute ago, Sei Bellissima said:

Nadan and Kashio already came assembled, oddly enough:

I have a theory that Sal is different just like Smith on his menu is that the gradient effects are meshed with the lighting and special effects while the others are static.

4 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I have a theory that Sal is different just like Smith on his menu is that the gradient effects are meshed with the lighting and special effects while the others are static.

That is true, but Nadan and Kashio are the only static ones. The other characters with Rook and Smith are separated.

My laptop's already off (posting this from my phone), so uh, I'll post them later ^^;

My goodness I feel like a brainlet.

Still trying my big galaxy brain to find out how to extract and compile the animations. Also, big thanks to ya @Sei Bellissima for making that portrait export tool...I'm still trying to figure out how to work it and MacGyver it into doing other things like getting the misnamed TEX files into something a bit more usable. :wilson_ecstatic:

Spoiler

The TEX files aren't actually TEX files, they're PLAX files...which I eventually figured out basically means it's another in-house texture file that'll take some work into figuring out how to get it to work...

7 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

[My phone is being dumb; I can't put the quoted text in a spoiler]

The export portaits tool was already built into the game (and as far as I know it doesn't really work); my script is only configured to extract card icons at the moment. I have a better version of that by the way, I can post it later when I get back to my laptop.

Basically it makes use of a function that's already in the game to turn the tex files into pngs. You have to be in debug mode to use it though (to do that, right click on the game in the Steam library, click properties, then "set launch options" and enter "--debug" into the field, without the quotes.)

Then, start up the game and press CTRL + TILDE (~) to bring up the debug log, and enter this into it:

UIHelpers.SaveTextureAsPNG(engine.asset.Texture("[path to tex file here]"), "[what you what to name the png]")

So for example, to extract Sal's menu main menu portrait you would do:

UIHelpers.SaveTextureAsPNG(engine.asset.Texture("anim/menu_sal.zip/atlas0.tex"), "menu_sal")

This is currently the only way these files can be converted to a readable format, and you can only do one at a time (unless you make a looping script like I did). I've tried almost everything I could find online. Nothing else works lol

By the way it'll be extracted into your username/Appdata/Roaming/Klei/Griftlands/steam-[there's a big weird number here]

Sounds on the other hand are much more easily extractable but it requires you to download a couple of tools, PM me if you want those and I'll hook you up with the links

*for the love of Hesh my phone does not like the forums help me*

Just now, Sei Bellissima said:

UIHelpers.SaveTextureAsPNG(engine.asset.Texture("[path to tex file here]"), "[what you what to name the png]")

I really am a brainlet! :wilson_ecstatic:

Sounds on the other hand are much more easily extractable but it requires you to download a couple of tools, PM me if you want those and I'll hook you up with the links

Already got those hooked up, instantly knew what to do as soon as I saw ".bank"

Okay I'm back, my script is in the attached zip. To install and use:

unpack the GriftlandsExportIcons folder to the Roaming/Klei/Griftlands/steam-[number]/mods folder (If a "mods" folder doesn't exist, make one).

Start up the game in debug mode, open the debug log and enter ExportIcons("negotiation") or ExportIcons("battle") to export whichever set of icons you want. You might have to close the debug log by pressing CTRL + TILDE again to make it actually trigger. It doesn't always start unless you do that, for some reason. It will unpack to the same location

I was gonna try and rejigger it tonight and add more functionality but uh, I'm tired and I don't really feel like doing it now. Maybe tomorrow XD Anyhow it makes use of other functions found in the game's code to fetch the filepaths. I haven't found any such functions for any anim atlases, at least not yet. feel free to play around with it if you want

GriftlandsExportIcons.zip

Okeydokey I'm back with the rest of them

Rook:

Spoiler

menu_rook_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.f6ee0b0590444de939d1067d8dd331b6.pngmenu_rook_highlight_fx_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.8ca97788afc3b7e89c857f894942d78f.png

Assembled, without shadow:

Rook1.thumb.png.0f0bb67f1e4bdd0faca372f92ac2c2f4.pngRook2.thumb.png.fb995eed9285468ac1e4d1adfc32932c.png

With shadow:

Rook3.thumb.png.37e9317203e6fc47d2e74696c5a67a20.pngRook4.thumb.png.5ef735fb4b2079c6073697d5ca35bbbf.png

I set his highlights to 60% opacity.

Fellemo:

Spoiler

menu_fellemo_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.b666282ab8f4c806dfa2eee2398d03ab.pngmenu_fellemo_glow_fx_zip_atlas0.png.f4aa945c73e2e68399181fd9e949e5dd.png

Assembled:

Fellemo1.thumb.png.fe9d67b731b5a8359ceb7c07c49f8044.pngFellemo2.thumb.png.e2ee47f3f18eddc8eccfd518bc2529e9.png

I couldn't figure out how the glow effect works on this one, unfortunately

Eonwe:

Spoiler

menu_hesh_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.bf4b3795feb240813276c1af8a07b0ad.pngmenu_hesh_glow_fx_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.9122471e6733d0302fb7467acb53b0b4.png

Assembled, without shadow:

Eonwe1.thumb.png.43cc553ad697560d359b7ad30a684238.pngEonwe2.thumb.png.864c6514f2a3997a50127a79c35fe25e.png

With shadow:

Eonwe3.thumb.png.47587d7cfbf84134b3bc7109ec90886c.pngEonwe4.thumb.png.b74f237ee22cf7af1aca8b63572b8466.png

Gave the glow effects a 30px gaussian blur; no change to opacity.

Sweet Moreef:

Spoiler

menu_moreef_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.c6505f60051b747a20354e19ae046592.png

Assembled:

Moreef1.thumb.png.6c74bb28afa6f276ebdf343aa4d837a9.pngMoreef2.thumb.png.f205766b501e4fa144b3c1453bc83d0d.png

Vix:

Spoiler

menu_vix_zip_atlas0.thumb.png.913e9281d707165110f6e2c3e14f8949.png

Assembled:

vix1.thumb.png.54a86b41fc62d0c323779b15b8099ec6.pngvix2.thumb.png.af65c1e183ef5c52e017cf718dcbca53.png

One more little treat because I'm sleepy and this fits: did you know that the narrator, at some point, was apparently going to narrate those little quips you see when Sal goes to bed? And they're all labeled with "SleepyTime". It's cute, in an odd way lol. You can find those clips in the attached zip

SleepyTime.zip

These are a treat to see, thank you

I'm currently diving into the wiki and trying to update and spruce up as much as I can (it's not exactly up-to-date) and I would love to use certain game icons to help with readability. Can you provide any UI files (like the icons for shills, battles and negotiations, choices, buffs and debuffs, etc.), or teach me how you access these images? I could just use Photoshop, but I'm not that adept at it and I doubt they would look as good as the source files.

Okay weird question and not sure if it's a datamining question or not, but does anyone know what font the game is using for the dialogue & card text? I've been comparing with many of the standard san-serif fonts (Calibri, Verdana, etc.), but none are exact -- not sure if I just haven't found the right one yet or if they even have a proprietary font or something lmao.

6 minutes ago, TaschDraws said:

Okay weird question and not sure if it's a datamining question or not, but does anyone know what font the game is using for the dialogue & card text? I've been comparing with many of the standard san-serif fonts (Calibri, Verdana, etc.), but none are exact -- not sure if I just haven't found the right one yet or if they even have a proprietary font or something lmao.

Lemme check and I'll let ya know what I find. :wilson_goodjob:

16 minutes ago, TaschDraws said:

know what font the game is using for the dialogue & card text

9 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

Lemme check and I'll let ya know what I find. :wilson_goodjob:

From what I can see, there are 5 fonts:

I still haven't managed to get the anim/build files to work with any tool available to create assets, and I don't really know all that much about reverse engineering to figure out a way to either make a new tool, or repurpose the ones already out there.

But I'm still looking. :wilson_dorky:

17 hours ago, warlepidoptera said:

omg thank you so much for the sound clips!!! I remember those and I remember missing them a lot when they got removed from the game! I really like that narrator's voice.

Oh so they were in the game at some point? I'm guessing it was during Alpha then because I only got the game when it came out on Steam.

15 hours ago, minespatch said:

I hope someone animates them. These should be used.

I'm actually tempted to now, but I've got a whole bunch of projects on my plate already lol. I do wanna doodle the one where Fssh scoops Sal out of the dirt and protects her. I'm a sucker for parental figures

4 hours ago, TaschDraws said:

Yooo stoked to see what's up with this cat named Vix??

Me too!! Last I saw, the game mentions him being Smith's brother, who was anointed into the cult. That reminds me, I should check Smith's story file again, see if there's anything new in there.

BTW @watermelen671, I don't know if you knew this already but to save space and reuse assets the game applies skin tones; so body parts that have bare skin are completely white. We'll probably have to recolor them for animations (if they're ever figured out...)

Actually, I've been wanting to actually learn a programming language for a while now. This might not be a good way to start, but *maybe* I could look into things... if my laptop doesn't implode on me first ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW @watermelen671, I don't know if you knew this already but to save space and reuse assets the game applies skin tones; so body parts that have bare skin are completely white. We'll probably have to recolor them for animations (if they're ever figured out...)

Kinda figured after I saw this:

head_female_grifter_build.thumb.png.472b4df1e01a29df0784d7ea8946170c.png

But if push comes to shove I can always be a lazy git and just not color them in and simply showcase the animations. :wilson_ecstatic:

And if we could somehow get the anim/build files to have encoding that is compatible with ktools we'd be set.

5 minutes ago, minespatch said:

That sprite sheet reminds me of the Dupe files for ONI more than the animation sprites for Don't Starve. wouldn't be surprised if Mark of the Ninja and Shank have similar sheets.

I wouldn't know...MoTN has a completely different set of files...although they still do use KTEX.

...I wonder if it's possible to initiate a debug state kinda like in Griftlands. :wilson_curious:

1 hour ago, Sei Bellissima said:

Oh so they were in the game at some point? I'm guessing it was during Alpha then because I only got the game when it came out on Steam.

They were there when I started playing, (around december I think) But since then I think they changed the narrator's voice and these got removed in some update. I don't exactly know why

1 hour ago, Sei Bellissima said:

I'm actually tempted to now, but I've got a whole bunch of projects on my plate already lol. I do wanna doodle the one where Fssh scoops Sal out of the dirt and protects her. I'm a sucker for parental figures

aaaaa I would love to see it. Fssh is great!

35 minutes ago, warlepidoptera said:
aaaaa I would love to see it. Fssh is great!

She is a great character, I love her :D

So, delving into Smith's files I did find a few things; though it has been a while since I actually played Smith's story preview so some of these things might have been known already.

Along with extra kidneys, kra'deshis have extra livers, too, and apparently that's how Smith is able to consume the ungodly amounts of alcohol he does without getting black-out drunk during fights (from smith_content.lua):

Spoiler

name = "Smith",
            title = "The Wastrel",
            desc = "A ne'er-do-well with a heart of gold and three livers of cast iron.",

Like most kra'deshis he's got a big family; I see siblings and the family name (Banquod) mentioned a few times. Speaking of siblings, I see another one of interest, aside from Vix (from smith_entering_pearl_on_foam.lua, "player" is smith, "agent" is the guard at the beginning):

Spoiler

player:
                    Listen, you ignoramus. I got a letter from my sister a week ago. I'm on the damn guestlist.
                agent:
                    That would be Captain Mullifee, I suppose? Unfortunately plans have changed. You're not welcome here...
                    By any of your siblings. 
                    And, just so you know, the guards inside are much more likely to tell you so with violence.

The option to ask questions have been updated since the last time I checked and one of them is being able to ask about Smith's siblings:

player:
                Still don't make sense. 
                Why'd Mullifee even tell me about the funeral if I wasn't gonna be allowed in, huh?
            agent:
                A mystery you'll have to uncode for yourself.
                There's no love for you here--I'll tell you that much.
            player:
                I didn't ask you!
            agent:
                Actually, you did.

So Smith's sister is the one who told him about the funeral, apparently. And it seems like she has some beef with him XD

Also, the placeholder text for when Smith goes to bed makes me giggle so much (from smith_defend_bar_day_1.lua, "agent" is Moreef):

player:
                [P] I'm tiiiiired!
            * {agent} shows you to your room.

24 minutes ago, SpicyNiceCream said:

You can find Mullifee's game model in the game already.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.57674682bdc8458796104d19d476d380.png

They don't exactly look like siblings for some reason.

What do you mean? They basically looks the same.

Female kradeshi has sharp eyes, and male kradeshi has rounded eyes. Except Astal, for some reason.

Other than gender difference, their facial features matches, more or less.

Archived