Suggestion: Wilson can cure Disease

Suggestion: Wilson can cure Disease  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Suggestion: Wilson can cure Disease

• Yes! Finally something can properly deal with Disease! Wilson fits thematically perfectly!
    • No! Disease is fine as is already.
    • Meh... Disease is disabled anyway, or I do not bother; I just dig out the Diseased.
    • No! Giving Wilson plant curing powers might take away other possible character arcs.
    • I have my own opinion on this. See my comment below.

Wilson, being a Gentleman Scientist, having experience experimenting with blood and animals etc., should be able to do deal with the Disease situation in DST. Disease in DST is very annoying to deal with properly, and is outright disabled in most megabase Worlds. With Wilson being able to remedy this, Disease as a proper game mechanic will only get stronger.

p.s. This is just too on topic for the global situation for it to not happen.

p.p.s. Wilson had better healing powers in The Forge; maybe he can do the same for plants, too!

I wouldn't want the solution of disease, to be exclusive to one character. Everyone should have access to at least one better alternative than replanting every spring, maybe a new potion available to all.

Having said that, Wilson could probably get access to a cheaper version of the same thing. And wormwood being "THE" plant related character could probably get a more potent version, like a turf that delays disease by 10x times.

I see Wilson having other type of perks, he could probably revive players as he did on the forge, being basically a free telltaleheart (which will then become a must have for new players)

Just now, Hornete said:

No, please dont limit a disease cure to one character.

We have quite a few character-limited items that other characters do not have any similar workaround: Bernie, Catapults, Books (Maxwell or Wicker's), Balloons to name a few.

6 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I wouldn't want the solution of disease, to be exclusive to one character. Everyone should have access to at least one better alternative than replanting every spring, maybe a new potion available to all.

Having said that, Wilson could probably get access to a cheaper version of the same thing. And wormwood being "THE" plant related character could probably get a more potent version, like a turf that delays disease by 10x times.

I see Wilson having other type of perks, he could probably revive players as he did on the forge, being basically a free telltaleheart (which will then become a must have for new players)

But Wormwood is literally the worst healer in the Constant; he cannot even heal himself like others... A Turf solution would be sad though; people would simply switch chars or ask friends to play as Wilson/Wormwood and create 50 said Turf and never bother again. Much like how people just switch for Winona for her Catapults or Willow for Bernies.

5 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

Bernie, Catapults, Books (Maxwell or Wicker's), Balloons to name a few.

All of these items do something every other character can do but in a objectively more efficient way.

Bernie is for killing shadow creatures and mobs which every character can do.

Catapults help kill an enemy, which every character can do.

Books help farm resources, kill mobs or overcharge Wx, which other characters can do.

Wilson would be the only character able to cure disease, other characters would not be able to cure it.

4 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

But Wormwood is literally the worst healer in the Constant; he cannot even heal himself like others... A Turf solution would be sad though; people would simply switch chars or ask friends to play as Wilson/Wormwood and create 50 said Turf and never bother again. Much like how people just switch for Winona for her Catapults or Willow for Bernies.

Like I said this would be a complement to another "available to everyone" solution. Delaying it would mean that you still need to craft a cure.

Even if he can't heal himself he is the plant related character, makes more sense for him as all his perks relate to plants.

22 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Books help farm resources

I would still argue with wicker because "on tentacles" is the only way to make tentacles refreshable and there is no other way to do it.

Walter slingshot is unique because he is the only char that can theoretically do no damage boss fights without gunpowder. (Mass farming reeds for blowdarts to prove my point is not a very good argument since this recipe is just plain expensive to work).

14 minutes ago, KeshS said:

I would still argue with wicker because "on tentacles" is the only way to make tentacles refreshable and there is no other way to do it.

Walter slingshot is unique because he is the only char that can theoretically do no damage boss fights without gunpowder. (Mass farming reeds for blowdarts to prove my point is not a very good argument since this recipe is just plain expensive to work).

Yeah I can see your point for tentacles.

Would you mind telling me which bosses other characters besides Walter would not be able to do with no damage taken? Because in my opinion I think that is very possible.

The point is that they are niche uses of things that can be accomplished in other ways, but there currently is no way to deal with disease, once it has started then the plant is gone.

Most character perks just make things that already exist faster, cheaper, or more efficient. 

24 minutes ago, KeshS said:

Making tentacles is a wicker thing, but you do not have to make tentacles to accomplish anything. You can exist a perfectly OP gameplay without creating a single tentacle ever, and still do everything. Having the tentacles going extinct does not limit you in any way. Tentacle spots and spikes are renewable through tentapillars.
Ranged combat has always existed, and yes it was always very expensive, Walter just makes it more affordable. Catapults are also  an affordable stacking of houndius shootius. Wortox makes what the lazy explorer already gives to everyone, except that he gets it super cheaply so he can spam teleporting. Bernie! is just a convenient help for players that still have problems kiting shadows. Abigail is a cheap-permanent AOE so you don't need to craft  weather pains to get AOE. Etc,.

Disease is gamebreaking, it ruins everyone's plants, and in long term worlds it can even lead to a serious shortage of some things. World regrowth does not seem to grow back stuff as fast as they can get transplanted and lost to disease. Disease needs a solution that is available to everyone. Then we can think of cheaper or better particular solutions some characters may have.

19 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Yeah I can see your point for tentacles.

Would you mind telling me which bosses other characters besides Walter would not be able to do with no damage taken? Because in my opinion I think that is very possible.

Just about anyone, epecially for fw, b-queen and toad. Fw - insta snare damage, queen - minions (they sometimes get you), toad - slam attack creates earthquakes which can be challenging to dodge, but for some reason it is easier to dodge while ranged. Walter doesn't put himself in danger as much as melee.

I dunno ya know? I’m one of those type of people that you would consider someone who enjoys a good challenge, and one thing that really gets on my nerves with DST is it throws problems at you.... but then it throws Permanent solutions to those problems at you.

Which defeats the whole purpose of calling the game Totally Uncompromising.

And people really really get on my nerves when they discredit my suggestions of wanting my game WORLD, the environment around me, Traps in my world, mob & season hazards to be harder, Just because I want to make those annoying Raid Bosses Easier.

If you want my Honest opinion- I think DST needs a brand new mode, something that focuses less on Raid Bosses meant for multiple players to engage in.. and instead- Something that throws new more advanced problems at you with no permanent solution to those problems.

Disease is an excellent example mechanic to talk about, Because what if it extended Beyond just plants?? What if it could cause the games WORMHOLES to become “Sick”? Like The Two Worlds chapter in DS Single Player.

For those of you who have not played Two Worlds.. A “Sick” Wormhole is one way trip wormhole, you can only use them once and can’t return to where you just jumped in from.

In my head I see literally no logical reasoning why DST CANT have Sickwormholes.. because it functions in very much the same way as the games current resurrection slabs where each player can use it only ONCE but it ends up appearing as destroyed for them once they have used it.

Im currently playing Hamlet.. and I sort of feel like Hamlet was an attempt (rather you think it was a good attempt or bad attempt) to take Disease to the next level.

But the TL:DR- I hate problems that then turn right back around and have permanent solutions to them.

Disease needs to actually have some depth and presence before being curable.

Regardless of that, having binary design like "I can/cannot avoid problem" being an inherent trait doesn't make for an interesting character IMO.

Like Wormwood in Hamlet, just disabling Hayfever outright, removes a layer of the game without any choice or intrigue.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Im currently playing Hamlet.. and I sort of feel like Hamlet was an attempt (rather you think it was a good attempt or bad attempt) to take Disease to the next level.

Are you talking about "Achooo!"? Sneezing was extremely annoying; but very much a DS spirit.

I think DST has no perma-death; even if you are doing solo DST, you can immediately rollback. That takes away the largest challenge imho. In DS, you always have backup plans over your backup plans. 

On 7/10/2020 at 4:49 AM, DaZoul said:

well, actually, the devs stated a long time ago that he was a pretty bad scientist

Until Wagstaff comes to DST, Wilson is the best (aka only) scientist we have.

3 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Until Wagstaff comes to DST, Wilson is the best (aka only) scientist we have.

ehhhh I'm sure Wickerbottom could do science better than him. Still, it doesn't matter if he's the best or not, if he is bad, he is bad.

Archived