What's Your Favorite Animated Short? (From a Character)

What's Your Favorite Animated Short?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Your Favorite:

• Winona's "Next of Kin"
    • Willow's "From the Ashes"
    • Wortox's "Possesions"
    • Wormwood's "Lunar Roots"
    • Warly's "Taste of Home"
    • Wurt's "The Monster Marsh"
    • Woodie's "Tree's a Crowd"
    • Wendy's "Wish You Were Here"
    • Walter's "Constant Companion"
  2. 2. Second Favorite:

• Winona's "Next of Kin"
    • Willow's "From the Ashes"
    • Wortox's "Possesions"
    • Wormwood's "Lunar Roots"
    • Warly's "Taste of Home"
    • Wurt's "The Monster Marsh"
    • Woodie's "Tree's a Crowd"
    • Wendy's "Wish You Were Here"
    • Walter's "Constant Companion"

I honestly really love all of them, they're all so good from both a story and artistic perspective.
I'd say Warly's is the best of both worlds, God, what a good one.
From a purely story-based perspective, probably Winona's or Wendy's.
Visually though, I have to say Walter. Woby is cute.

Going from Best to Worst:

Wilson: Forbidden Knowledge - Objectively the best short of the bunch, the art style and animation are perfectly in tone with the game, it expands upon Wilson and Maxwell's characters and relationships, has a bit of fun comedy, and just sets up the game perfectly, best in terms of showing some of the dark aspects of Don't Starve. But that was long ago, and a lot has been changed, for the worse in some cases...

Willow: From the Ashes - Best overall, good mix of tone, mystery, and lore tidbits, art was fitting. Wish Willow's refresh expanded on her fire powers, but Klei seems to be allergic to anything fire related, which leaves her explosion at the end, and her apparent immunity to fire a bit unexplored.

Wendy: Wish You Were Here - While there's not much in terms of backstory, it was nice seeing the "Wendy is Maxwell's cousin" thing being confirmed, and the short fit well into Don't Starves theme, didn't tarnish Wendy's character at all, thank god.

Winona: Next of Kin - Lots of lore tidbits at the beginning, and confirmation of how Winona and Wagstaff actually entered the constant which was great, didn't do much for Winona's character though.

Warly: Taste of Home - Very heavily leaning into emotional manipulation, still well executed and just pleasant (and sad) all around.

Wormwood: Lunar Roots - Was nice to see a tiny bit of love put into Hamlet, which was long dead. Proved some theories about where gems came from, and how Wormwood came to be, did a fine job over all. Maybe a bit too cartoony and goofy.

Walter: Constant Companion - A little too silly in areas? Provided extremely little in terms of over all lore, just vague speculations on Woodie, and Walter just randomly gets teleported into the constant simply by touching the radio? Why did Wilson have to be contacted by Maxwell to be tricked into building the portal? Can anyone just randomly be teleported against their will? This part really stabs some of the lore in the back.

Wortox: Possessions - Was fine as a one off "silly" short, didn't add a lot, didn't take anything away, it was fine.

Wurt: The Monster Marsh - The art was a bit off, the tone was too silly and cartoonish, did nothing for the lore or Wurt's character, almost the worst of the bunch if not for...

Woodie: Trees a Crowd - Way too cartoony of an art style, the tone isn't anything close to the rest of Don't Starve, provides NO lore, backstory, or character to Woodie, and honestly damaged some of the perception of the game and it's world. Not to mention being paired along the "refresh" that banished classic Woodie and replaced him with someone completely different, I know I and MANY other Woodie mains can't even play the character anymore, he's just not even close to the same.

Wes: A First for Everything - no. but also april fools, so ehhhhhhhhh

"Taste of Home" was special to me because it wasn't afraid to show its viewers the (sometimes) harsh truth of the real world, but also showed how life still finds a way to be meaningful; in a short with no words, it spoke novels. My second favorite was "Wish You Were Here" because of the incredible backstory and lore that was introduced to us. Not to mention that the short gave some valuable insight in how things used to be, and it rivaled "Next of Kin" in terms of lore as well.

Wish You Were Here is honestly my favorite of the bunch. great animations, an amazing soundtrack and a good bit of lore made it into a great cinematic.

My second favorite would probably be the new Constant Companion, due to the hints at lore and the pure cuteness of the animation.

I like the chaos of Wurt’s the most.

Willow and Wendy ties for second, getting to see Abigail was nice but I wish they explained the flower. Willow establishes nightmares as a threat, but I’m still curious about her fire immunity (I’m thinking she gets burn scars on her checks in her vid)

32 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Willow establishes nightmares as a threat, but I’m still curious about her fire immunity (I’m thinking she gets burn scars on her checks in her vid)

I never thought those were burn scars; at first I thought they were anime-style cheek lines that didn't really mean anything in-universe, but her INSPECTSELF line is "Why didn't anyone tell me I had ashes on my face?" so it's probably that. 

Archived