Walter: 8 Marbles to kill a Deerclops

Now there is no discussion really to say how broken that is; before Klei nerfs those pellets, go farm Marble Pellets. They stack to 60 after all, and you can just drop them on ground since Moleworms don't steal them.

Clarification: This is a pretty decent ranged attack that is very easy to mass produce considering Marbles can be farmed at a x2.5 rate every 10 Days. This is also agnostic for most boss specific mechanics; you can pretty much do the same with any boss, including Fuelweaver.

Marble farm grows exponentially with a factor of x2.5. That means, if you start with 5 Marbles at Day 10, by Day 30, you'll fully rotate twice to get 31 Marbles, enough to kill almost 4 Deerclopses.

Just now, hyiltiz said:

Marble farm grows exponentially with a factor of x2.5. That means, if you start with 5 Marbles at Day 10, by Day 30, you'll fully rotate twice to get 31 Marbles, enough to kill almost 4 Deerclopses.

what if we swapped gold pellet and marble pellet damage around?

The DPS is fairly slow though, also 6 marbles are now enough for any character to get a marble armor, if you pair that with a hambat and a campfire any character can facetank deerclops.

I'd say let Walter have this, from the tests I've done so far the balance of the stone-gold-marble progression seem to be fine.

2 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The DPS is fairly slow though, also 6 marbles are now enough for any character to get a marble armor, if you pair that with a hambat and a campfire any character can facetank deerclops.

This. A lot of people say walter is op, but they all forget, that deerclops isn't that hard. I don't know. Unless somebody finds a way to really cheese with the slingshot I'd say it is fine.

I've tried to fight Deerclops and I will tell you, it takes some skill to time the exact amount of pellets you shoot in order to dodge an attack when it gets close; this primarily comes to play since you are locked into the animation while firing. As for damage....I (personally) think it's balanced. The slow windup for an attack, the 51 damage, and the cost all play a part in the way you use the weapon. Most enemies' health goes in increments of 50, so reducing the damage by any number below that (say even 49 for example) would require extra hits to kill. If you hit a hound (150 health) for 50 damage a strike, you will kill it in 3 hits; however if you hit it for 49 damage per strike, it would take 4 hits to kill instead. If the damage is to be nerfed, then you may as well just remove it in my opinion because the damage will lose its utility outside of drawing aggro from mobs (of which doesn't matter if said mob is fighting something else; in which case you become dead weight if you're trying to fight on a team using the slingshot).

Clopsy is hard for new players 'cuz of the preparations you'd need to do and know what to do. Yes, you can facetank with pretty much any character with a marble suit ON TOP OF a large firepit. Most new players don't know that. Besides, half the challenge in killing Deerclops comes from its last stages when it is almost dead but you are chased by Nightmares. 

Walter isn't affected by Deerclops' sanity aurora, so he can just cozy away, keep a safe distance and slowly grind.

1 minute ago, Xantown7 said:

That's funny to see this topic now, I made a video for that not even 1 hour ago

This video just proves my point. Look at that DPS. Its suuper slow.
A Wolfgang with a hambat or a Woodie with a Moose idol would have defeated deer a lot faster.

If you nerf the slingshot it will just plain suck. Please leave it as it is.

7 minutes ago, Xantown7 said:

I made a video for that not even 1 hour ago

Nice video thanks for sharing :) although I would like to ask, wouldn't it just be easier to dodge 'Clop's attacks with a walking cane and a log suit? I noticed you usually only land 2 hits on him at a time with the slingshot; I noticed that using a ham bat and walking cane lets you hit him for 4 hits before dodging a little.

Note we are talking about ranged attack that is quite decent; Walter can just kill pretty much any boss in this fasion, not just Deerclops. Think Fuelweaver. Others prepare a TON. Walter just goes, traps Fuelweaver with two Lureplants, and fires away a dezon Marbles...

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

I'm confused, I thought they said Woby was terrified of enemies???

it just means she steps away and plays a funny animation if you're walking on the ground

Just now, hyiltiz said:

Note we are talking about ranged attack that is quite decent; Walter can just kill pretty much any boss in this fasion, not just Deerclops. Think Fuelweaver. Others prepare a TON. Walter just goes, traps Fuelweaver with two Lureplants, and fires away a dezon Marbles...

that's not a problem with the slingshot, that's a problem with lure plants bro.

1 minute ago, Owlrus98 said:

Nice video thanks for sharing :) although I would like to ask, wouldn't it just be easier to dodge 'Clop's attacks with a walking cane and a log suit? I noticed you usually only land 2 hits on him at a time with the slingshot; I noticed that using a ham bat and walking cane lets you hit him for 4 hits before dodging a little.

Yes probably, I just wanted to do the fight using Walter's unique perks :P

2 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

@Xantown7 It would be much interesting if you tested out in Day 30 Night. The night and coldness are really part of the Deerclops challenge.

Indeed ! I originally did this video just to show you only needed 8 marbles, not for a challenge or anything

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I'm confused, I thought they said Woby was terrified of enemies???

Not when you're mounting her, but if you get hit it's bye bye

10 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

Clopsy is hard for new players 'cuz of the preparations you'd need to do and know what to do. Yes, you can facetank with pretty much any character with a marble suit ON TOP OF a large firepit. Most new players don't know that. Besides, half the challenge in killing Deerclops comes from its last stages when it is almost dead but you are chased by Nightmares. 

Walter isn't affected by Deerclops' sanity aurora, so he can just cozy away, keep a safe distance and slowly grind.

I think it is going to be just as hard for new players to "slowly grind" with walter. getting hit just once is gonna be real problem for new players with the immediate sanity drop. But it's just speculations. I'm not a begginer for some time and can hardly imagine how they feel.

4 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

Yeah, if it can be used for cheesy methods like this, I would be for a nerf. Though maybe not walter's, but rather nerfing lureplants, so they don't work like this.

3 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

I mean... if you're using Lureplants for FW, you're already cheesing and avoiding 90% of the prep it normally takes. What's the difference?

Archived