No beard skins for Webber?

I mean, Webber's beard is silk, not his hair. So no matter what colour webber is, the silk would probably look the same.

I agree though, I really wish I could dibable sanity sound effects/visual artifacts too, because I find them rather annoying. It's unfortunate because they're very well made effects, and serve as a good way to indicate to players that they are losing their minds, but once you've seen it a hundred times it just becomes an eye/earsore. So while I understand that the sound design is wonderful, it can also be annoying once it loses it's utility as a warning.

If you're on PC, though, there does exist a client mod for this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1853828038

6 minutes ago, AlienMagi said:

Also why still no dibablable insanity sound effects in a QoL update? :(

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=882610849

2 minutes ago, BreadScientist said:

I really wish I could dibablable sanity sound effects/visual artifacts too, because I find them rather annoying.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=368686576

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1229018711

For the time being, anyway.  I know Klei added some features to the base game that were part of one of my mods, so I wouldn't put it past them to do so in the future especially if it's a quick addition that a lot of people want.

3 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

-snip-

Appreciate the quick response. 

Mostly I was referring to being able to change them by default, as a lot of people either don't have access to mods because of the platform they play on, or choose to avoid mods in general.

I have the odd feeling that Webber does not have beard skins because Beards are going to become even more of a core gameplay gimmick for Wilson.

Just go to the beards tab in your game and look at what I mean, your beards have 3 different lengths for them, CURRENTLY the only way to achieve certain lengths is by letting it grow and then shaving the whole thing off after so long.

In a Rework I’m picturing something similar to Ark Survival Evolved- Where you can choose the length in which to Trim it. And also probably he will have some hair grooming kit items/Science stuff.

Webber obviously does not need this..

Silk will ultimately look like silk, but it can still be "groomed" in certain ways.

It's entirely possible they'll remove silk beards from Webber entirely during his rework. Otherwise, not sure.

I think it's safe to assume that if his beard is staying, he'll probably receive beard skins
Wilson's were just the ones people REALLY wanted the most, and a lot of people are uncertain of if his beard will even remain in the game
I personally can't really imagine silk being too versatile, at least not enough for a lot of skins to stem from it. In retrospect, it is kind of a weird ability, seeing as it's almost a copy of Wilson's beard. And Wilson's beard is... you know... his THING. His... only thing...
But who knows! Maybe Klei can get creative here, they always tend to have good design ideas

33 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Silk will ultimately look like silk, but it can still be "groomed" in certain ways.

It's entirely possible they'll remove silk beards from Webber entirely during his rework. Otherwise, not sure.

I hope they do remove it to be honest, and instead give him a more unique feature, it seems really silly that a 9ish year old child would grow an adult beard.

That does NOT mean to remove Webber’s ways of obtaining silk or his warmth from growing a beard- 

Webber should instead because he’s a naturally hairy spider monster anyway... not need a beard at all because the hairs that are all over his skin would keep him warmer.

My idea of how to obtain Silk would be walking up to a Spider den and then simply reaching inside it and pulling it out, this can be used to safely downgrade spider dens without having all the spiders around turn on and attack you.

The TL:DR- it allows Webber to actually stay NEAR the Base with his spiders, controlling the Tier of the Nests instead of setting up a Spider Egg far away from base off by his little lonesome.

It also removes Webber’s Beard as a thing and makes it more uniquely strictly a Wilson feature.

45 minutes ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

I think it's safe to assume that if his beard is staying, he'll probably receive beard skins
Wilson's were just the ones people REALLY wanted the most, and a lot of people are uncertain of if his beard will even remain in the game
I personally can't really imagine silk being too versatile, at least not enough for a lot of skins to stem from it. In retrospect, it is kind of a weird ability, seeing as it's almost a copy of Wilson's beard. And Wilson's beard is... you know... his THING. His... only thing...
But who knows! Maybe Klei can get creative here, they always tend to have good design ideas

well he is like his counter part, a monster wilson.Instead of  pig working for you you have spiders, stronger but with half sanity. Was a very good concept

1 minute ago, reichull said:

Okay so why don't the normal spiders all grow beards then? Going off that logic.

I've always assumed the idea is not that the spider is growing a beard, but that the excess silk that would typically be going to the spider egg's are instead growing on Webber's face because that spider is trapped on Webber's body.

Silky beard skins are probably in the pipeline, just not here yet for the same reason that Wilson got 6 beard skins instead of beards to match every single skin in his wardrobe. I don't see why they'd need to change colour, since Wilson's beard skins only change colour to the same extent that his hair does. The only Webber skin with a dramatically different fur colour is Snowfallen and it already matches his beard. Probably it'll be styled differently to match different skins, again like Wilson's beard; messier for Survivor and more deliberately groomed for Guest of Honor and Triumphant, for instance.

I think the reason Webber grows a silk beard is because his biology is a terrifying fusion of human and Constant-spider rather than just a layer of spider over a layer of human, so while the spider body is producing the silk, it grows on his face instead of from his butt (as Wilson describes the process for regular spiders) because the only place humans grow long fibers is from the head. And if it came from his scalp his headlegs would get stuck in it.

Webber's "beard" it's not a beard actually, just silk hanging on his face.

Spiders produce silk through "ampulate glands" and casually that part it's now placed in Webber's face, which eventually give something similar to "beard" (for our perception), however it's just silk from the spider.

10 minutes ago, BreadScientist said:

Well, it's described as a beard because visually it looks like a beard. Scientifically it is not a beard, and thus it does not matter if he's a kid or not. 

You may be right, but it DOES Matter if he grows a beard, because it gives both Wilson and Webber the same kind of Gimmick- this was Okay in single player don’t starve because you did not ever have a diverse cast of playable characters all surviving together at the same time but once they end up in the same room together you start seeing how “Same-ish” they can feel.

All of the current reworks, as well as the dlc ones that have been added so far each have their own respective totally unique gimmicks, & gameplay mechanics making playing each one feel very different From the others.. This is a trend I hope continues throughout the rest of the playable character cast.

Well, I don't think it SHOULDN'T have skins, but it's not nearly as out of place as Wilson's beard being an entirely different colour than his hair.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

You may be right, but it DOES Matter if he grows a beard, because it gives both Wilson and Webber the same kind of Gimmick- this was Okay in single player don’t starve because you did not ever have a diverse cast of playable characters all surviving together at the same time but once they end up in the same room together you start seeing how “Same-ish” they can feel.

All of the current reworks, as well as the dlc ones that have been added so far each have their own respective totally unique gimmicks, & gameplay mechanics making playing each one feel very different From the others.. This is a trend I hope continues throughout the rest of the playable character cast.

I think that's because Webber was designed (at the time) to be intended to be sorta an inverse of Wilson. A Monster Wilson, I guess. He grows a beard, same as him, but his relationship with certain creatures is reversed. 

I don't think this holds up that well, but I think that was the intent originally.

I'm pretty sure Webber isn't even a kid anymore. He's basically morphed into the spider to the point where it alters his biology. He's neutral to spiders, can eat monster meat, can attract spiders, can grow silk, and his mind is basically growing more "spider-like" as evidenced by his "Mmmm..." Quote when examining monster lasagna, something the other survivors find disgusting.

Archived