Hey, so the whole favorite food thing is interesting, I like how they all fit the character (for better or for worse) but I have been wondering...

What even is the bonus for eating these foods? Does anyone know?

Just now, bitcrushed_rage said:

Hey, so the whole favorite food thing is interesting, I like how they all fit the character (for better or for worse) but I have been wondering...

What even is the bonus for eating these foods? Does anyone know?

+15 hunger. That's the only buff

1 minute ago, Hornete said:

Sorry if that was vague, When a character eats their favourite food. They gain 15 extra hunger than usual.

I gotcha I was just a bit surprised that that was all. I mean, I expected them to gain sanity from eating their fav food. If I ate my fav food I'd be pretty happy. But I actually like this, now that I've had a moment to process it. 

Bacon and Eggs on Wilson, Honey Nuggets on Woodie, and Butter Muffins on WX-78 are the first thing that come to mind for me, and the +15 flat on those actually sounds really cool. I wonder if this will tweak the way people approach these characters.

Feeling bad for the Warly mains, though. More memorization (if they aren't using mods or websites to get all their recipes)
Oh yeah and they don't even get a fav food of their own. The price to be paid as a chef, I suppose

3 minutes ago, Hornete said:

+15 hunger

That could be either really convenient or really inconvenient depending on what dish it is. Woodie, Wickerbottom, Willow, Wilson, Wigfrid, and WX-78 seem to have relatively convenient dishes that don't really require farming or late-game benefits; whereas characters like Wendy, Wolfgang, Wes (especially), Webber, Maxwell, Wormwood, Winona, Wortox, and Wurt have either somewhat tedious recipes with little improvements or outright rarer ingredients required to make them (of which you would have to go out of your way to get). 

3 minutes ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

Feeling bad for the Warly mains, though. More memorization (if they aren't using mods or websites to get all their recipes)
Oh yeah and they don't even get a fav food of their own. The price to be paid as a chef, I suppose

Webber one is also kinda annoying I thought they were going to have lasagna as their fav even their examine line is "Mmmm" it would have actually have synergies with them

now they just get 15 hunger for a really over difficult food to get ;-;

1 minute ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

Webber one is also kinda annoying I thought they were going to have lasagna as their fav even their examine line is "Mmmm" it would have actually have synergies with them

now they just get 15 hunger for a really over difficult food to get ;-;

Yeaahhhh, that's my main gripes with some of these favorite foods. They moreso fit their character, rather than being actually useful

I'm not saying Wolfgang's favorite food is bad, I'm just saying Wolfgang's favorite food is bad.

But it's also like... this is something that can be ignored, honestly

46 minutes ago, kiwikenobi said:

Is there a list of all of the characters' favorite foods? Other than in the game, I mean. ^o^;>

So some characters get off a LOT better than others.  Wilson and Wigfrid get very easy to make dishes that require only a slight deviation (if any) from normal food production and the bonus hunger is a good topper for these dishes as they are already secret OP hunger dishes giving 75 hunger each topping meatballs and really not requiring anything too out of the way.

Wilson = Bacon and Eggs

Spoiler

1.5 meat 2 eggs, each egg from a bird cage is 1 egg, tallbird egg = 4 egg value.  This is great because its already a hunger based dish, bumping it up from 75 to 90 hunger !!  Very good for a recipe that is basically already in everyone's fridge.  2 monster meat + 2 eggs has a 50% chance of giving you bacon and eggs, and if you use 2 monster meat and a tallbird egg you can add a stick as the 4th ingredient to guarantee bacon and eggs.

Willow = Spicy Chili

Spoiler

1.5 meat 1.5 vegetable.  This dish has the odd quality of increasing temperature by 40 degrees for 15 seconds.  If it was more than 15 seconds it might be worth it lol  but 15 seconds isn't really a useful quantity of time to prepare for with a crock pot dish.  The hunger value is only 37 base, so adding her 15 for favorite food brings it up to 52.  Just shy of a meatball @ 62 so you're probably just going to go meatballs with her

Wolfgang = Roasted Potato

Spoiler

Just a potato that is cooked.  This is actually a pretty good non-crock pot food to eat at 20 health and 25 hunger.  Adding 15 points to this makes it a single cooked item at 40 hunger.  Great for a guy who loves to stay full!  The only problem is you can't get potatoes without setting up farms, and farms are bad.  IF you've got a wormwood on your server you might ask for the potatoes to fill your belly, leaving the normal food stuffs for other players as they probably wouldn't even know what to do with a potato if you gave it to them XD

Wendy = Banana Pop

Spoiler

At first I thought "banana, cool.  Wendy likes the caves anyway."  But then I realized, banana pop requires ice as well.  Even then, its not a great synergy.  The banana pop is good for health and sanity at +20 and +33 respectively, but for hunger its a measly 12.5.  Even adding +15 to that its not that great...  you won't be living on this thing...

WX = Butter Muffin

Spoiler

A butterfly + .5 veg, plus almost anything else (no meat) even 2x sticks.  If you like farming butterflies for topping of your health between fights this might be useful.  A butterfly wing normally gives +8 health and +9 hunger.  When you cook up one of these with a veg and some sticks you get +37 hunger and +20 health.  WX brings this up to 52 hunger which makes it very close to a meatball for a very minimal shopping list...  I think he might find some use in this.

Wickerbottom = Surf'n'Turf

Spoiler

2.5 meat and 1.5 fish (keep in mind that many fish also count as meats).  This dish defaults to +60 health and +33 sanity.  Its a great health food if you're getting fish often.  A good advantage of this meal is that it is guaranteed from a crock pot with 2 monster meats and enough fish.  Wicker bumps its default hunger from 37 up to 52 making it near a meatball but unless you're needing all that health and sanity its probably not the best.

Woodie = Honey Nuggets

Spoiler

Ah, the bane of people who forget that honey ham requires 2 meat lol.  The recipe for honey nuggets is meat < 2 and at least 1 honey.  If you've read my other reviews above this will sound familiar - while the health is already, the hunger is middlish.  With the +15 favorite food bonus its still just under a meatball so you're probably going to eat those mostly...  At only +20 health and a measly +5 sanity you might even skip this if you need healing...

Wes = Fresh Fruit Crepes

Spoiler

Wes is Best joke.  Fresh Fruit Crepes are a challenging recipe requiring 1.5 fruit, butter, and honey.  Harder still is you've got to get a Warly to make it for you as this is an exclusive dish for Warly's portable crock pot.  The hunger value of Fresh Fruit Crepes is 150 O_O with +60 health and +15 sanity.  For Wes this means.... well... his max hunger is 113 so he's not getting anything from this...  GL wes, we love you <3

Maxwell = Lobster Dinner

Spoiler

1 wobster, butter, and fillers that aren't meat or fish.  It can use sticks though.  This dish is similar to Surf'n'Turf in that it gives a good chunk of health and sanity, 60 and 50 respectively, and moderate hunger value of 37.  With the favorite food bonus the hunger value is brought up to 52, just under meatballs.  Unlike Surf'n'Turf Maxwell's exotic tastes require a butter so not only is this not a typical "fill my belly" food, its also an out of the way dish to prepare.

Wigfrid = Turkey Dinner

Spoiler

Oh boy did Wigfrid get lucky!  2 drumsticks with an extra meat of any king, and either a veg or a fruit.  Great for those times Wigfrid's team moves all of the berry bushes to base!  She can steal the drumsticks and make off like a bandit.  As a secret OP food item this gives +75 hunger base, topping up +90 hunger for Wigfrid!  A great dish that is easily set up.  If you're a vagabond Wigfrid that doesn't like uprooting berries or farming, just drop a rot in the desert and kill the Buzzards.  They can drop drumsticks to get your belly full.

Webber = Ice Cream

Spoiler

Requires dairy (either milk or butter), honey, and ice.  can't use any meats, eggs, vegies, or sticks.  This is another one of those "since you found butter" recipes that you might like to make sometimes, but certainly won't make often lol.  It is mostly a sanity item giving +50 sanity and only +25 hunger.  With the fav food bonus Webber will get +40 making it... much worse than a meatball... or even than just eating a few monster meats.

Winona = Vegatable Stinger

Spoiler

Requires a Toma Root or Asparagus, an Ice, and 1.5 more vegies.  This vegi smoothy gives +33 sanity and +25 hunger.  Yet another off-synergy item.  With the hunger bonus from being a fav food it weighs in at +40 hunger making it much worse than meatballs.  Add to that you can only get toma root and asparagus from farming and you're definitely not going to make this one very often...

Warly = none

Spoiler

I'm kinda surprised they didn't give him a favorite food.  I was playing Warly a bit to get used to him and it seems between meaty stews, turkey dinners, and bacon and eggs Warly has no hunger problem once you get going so he doesn't need it... I guess we'll just have to accept this as "Warly's Flavor" to have no favorite food.  Ok.

Wortox = Pomegranate

Spoiler

I doubt any Wortox player cares - but a pomegranate gives 20 health and 12.5 hunger.  Adding the +15 hunger to this, and then cutting it in half (as is the local custom) nets Wortox only 13 points of hunger for such an odd dish...  You must farm to get pomegranates.  gl

Wormwood = Cooked Banana

Spoiler

Ah, a simple banana that is cooked.  +3 health and +12.5 hunger.  Wormwood doesn't get any of the health, but for denying monkey's their meals he can get +27 hunger from each cooked banana.  This isn't actually too bad if you're needing hunger value since its a single item rather than a full crock pot recipe.  If you're ever Wormwood and want to base in the ruins, here ya go ?

Wurt = Durian

Spoiler

Wurt was apparently on to this gig before anyone else as she already liked Durians quite a bit before it was cool.  Normally giving +25 hunger these have been her favorites for a while, and she's received a +60% bonus hunger value from it!  This means she normally received +40 hunger from each durian, making them a pretty good food source if you dedicated yourself to farming them.  Unfortunately that seems to be it...  its already her favorite food, so there is no change <_< Just the same +40 hunger you got before, but now everyone else has jumped on her bandwagon.  Sry wurt <3

I love how Wes' favorite food just so happens to be the hardest one to obtain, not only do you need someone to be playing Warly, but you also have to wait for the lucky butter drop from a butterfly, and either have to destroy or farm bees for the honey, and either have Wormwood grow fruit or make an improved farm while also praying to the crop RNG gods.

Fits with his character, at least! :courage:

2 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

I love how Wes' favorite food just so happens to be the hardest one to obtain, not only do you need someone to be playing Warly, but you also have to wait for the lucky butter drop from a butterfly, and either have to destroy or farm bees for the honey, and either have Wormwood grow fruit or make an improved farm while also praying to the crop RNG gods.

You also have to have everyone decide that after creating this dish, they would like to give it to Wes
It's also completely pointless, as if I remember correctly, it already gave 150 hunger? And Wes only has 113. It's not even an improvement for him lol

13 minutes ago, bitcrushed_rage said:

not even an improvement for him lol

I feel like giving him ratatouille or a froggle bunwich as his favorite dish would benefit him a bit more by bringing it from 25/37.5 hunger to 40/52.5, and frankly, fits a "french-mime" better in my opinion.  

37 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

Also, I think Wes is a french mime (don't quote me on this) and crepes are a french dish (you can quote me on this), which is probably the main reason they picked them to be his favorite food.

3 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Also, I think Wes is a french mime (don't quote me on this) and crepes are a french dish (you can quote me on this), which is probably the main reason they picked them to be his favorite food.

I think they specifically chose the worst item possible to be his favorite food.  Hard to get, requires another player to play a more rarely seen character, and he gets no special benefit.  Its the perfectly wrong dish for him, absolutely, perfectly, wrong lol  Which makes it so right!

Wortox's favorite food being a pomegranate is very clever. Obviously an allusion to the story of Persephone from Greek mythology, where she has to stay in the underworld with Hades for a certain amount of time each year because she ate some pomegranate seeds. I like it.

11 hours ago, Hornete said:

+15 hunger. That's the only buff

Via modding I found out it also cancels out any health or sanity penalty if it's a toxic food.

And you can put more than one favorite food.

9 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

Speaking of this, does anyone know where you can  set a character's favorite food? Is that even possible? (I need to know, I'd like to set a custom one for a character mod)

I think its just in the character file.  In willow.lua I see inside

local function master_postinit(inst)

.... a lot of inst.components.stuff...

inst.components.foodaffinity:AddPrefabAffinity("hotchili", TUNING.AFFINITY_15_CALORIES_LARGE)

This seems to be where it gets set.

This means you can use the console command

AllPlayers[number].components.foodaffinity:AddPrefabAffinity("berries",TUNING.AFFINITY_15_CALORIES_LARGE")

if you want berries to be a sweet sweet 25 hunger for something lol

edit - also can we get coffee in DST and can it be Willow's favorite food instead?

I'm kinda surprised it _doesn't_ have a sanity boost as well/instead.  I mean, if it's your FAVOURITE food, that means it would be _emotionally_ cheering you up a little, not feeling like it's a bit more filling in your stomach, right?

And now I'm remembering in the Sims 3, where you can set a favourite food and type of music, and how thrilled my character was every time I just made the basic cheap salad . XD

...Notorious

Archived