It's been a year since last major update.

FeNniX

I am really curious if there will be any major or minor updates to hamlet in near future? I would like to ask devs to give at least some info. I would really appreciate it. "There are no updates planned at this moment" would still be perfect answer. It's better to know no updates are coming, than waiting for nothing.

Well if I'm not mistaken the devs did say that they have no updates planned for Hamlet at the moment and that if anything changes they'll imform us.

So untill the devs post an annoucement no, there are no updates in the future of singleplayer.

They said that they will not keep with hamlet but i wish they do. Its a great dlc but lacks of a lot of things and some stuff needs refine.

The years go so quick and become repetitive and, a part of the aporkalipsis, there is not so much dangers after you 

Also a QoL for the entire single player controls will be lovely. I almost waste an entire lazy explore just trying to drop stuff in the floor with right click

Yeah I was holding out hope for a "Home Sea Home" equivalent to make Hamlet worth playing but I doubt it's happening.

Hamlet was clearly a rush job they didn't want to finish, and would rather stick with DST which makes more money (especially since they gave Hamlet away for free to so many people, and, you know, skins make money...)

18 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Yeah I was holding out hope for a "Home Sea Home" equivalent to make Hamlet worth playing but I doubt it's happening.

Hamlet was clearly a rush job they didn't want to finish, and would rather stick with DST which makes more money (especially since they gave Hamlet away for free to so many people, and, you know, skins make money...)

Is sad that they leave die the game that made this company arrive where they are. Is not like they forget about shank or oni, they foget DS to work in dst.... when ds has unlimited possibilities.

I hope someday they will work on ds, is bad for the reputation of the company.

Pd. I think hamlet is worth to play but still being clear that they didnt finish the work. Its almost a support dlc for rog when it could be an entire new and deep experience like sw. Also ds has a lot of dlc potencial, what about a space theme dlc? Or jurassic? Etc

On 5/18/2020 at 8:32 AM, Ogrecakes said:

you know, skins make money...

That's why they should just add things like that to DS. It would draw in more players AND make money at the same time! Klei, however, seems to lack the insight to realize this.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:44 PM, SpoonyBardIV said:

That's why they should just add things like that to DS. It would draw in more players AND make money at the same time! Klei, however, seems to lack the insight to realize this.

skins can easily be put in a singleplayer game where players can also just mod them in and use them without paying or spooling etc
(also skins aren't the reason people are playing DST....who even told you that?")

On 5/18/2020 at 11:32 AM, Ogrecakes said:

Six months of early access. Two new characters; three new bosses; a crafting tab for building cities.  The DLC is beautiful and had so much fixed during development. It's fine to say you don't like it but it's disingenuous to Klei to call Hamlet a "rush job."

2 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

Six months of early access. Two new characters; three new bosses; a crafting tab for building cities.  The DLC is beautiful and had so much fixed during development. It's fine to say you don't like it but it's disingenuous to Klei to call Hamlet a "rush job."

When you take into account them saying "there will be new seasonal items and challenges", and 2 months later it launches without new seasonal items and challenges, its pretty easy to tell on a surface level that it was launched too early.

When you take a look at the code, and realize that Scorpions have broken target sharing code thats left in, the Hippapotamoose has a huge amount of unfinished reworked code that is left in its file that was replaced with temporary code, the fact that several things use the wrong sound paths and are misaing sounds because of it, the Platapine being labeled as like 5 different names when looking at all of its files, and the HUGE amount of cut and unfinished content... well, it's easy to say they cut development short and kicked the dlc out the door.

Not to mention the massive amount of bugs that are plain to see. Did you know Abigail has a tag to let her avoid setting off pressure plates? Did you know that this tag doesnt work because she also has the character tag? Such a basic thing to test and they didnt bother.

Sorry to get kinda heated but it really upsets me how much wasted potential there was, and to actually now have a lot of knowledge of the games code, and from looking into things when developing Uncompromising Mode, its just so sad to see that the last build they shipped screams "in development", that was abruptly shut down, they didnt even have time to scrub the game of unfinished data, they just made sure things weren't immediatly crashing and then just launched.

So, no, I dont believe its disingenuous to call it a rush job. For awhile it wasn't, but at some point that changed and Klei lost interest.

As JoeW once said (slightly paraphrased) "We made Hamlet for funsies". Apparently it stopped being fun.

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

I appreciate the perspective of a modder who understands the game intricately but I have to ask, is this sense of "unfinished work" an impression made based upon the actual game experience or the knowledge of unimplemented content hidden inside the lua files? Honestly a lot of this criticism seems based on Klei's handling of their code and not how the game actually plays. Abigail's inadvertant tripping of traps, some orphaned target sharing code, an abandoned hippo rework, and an inconsistency of the platapine's name might understandably bother you, but I promise you as a player these are the farthest things from my mind. And I don't believe that the mere presence of leftover code from ideas brainstormed then abandoned necessarily leaves the game incomplete. The only reason some people know about everything that might have been added is because the files are open source.

I am still of the mind that Hamlet was one of the most dynamic, challenging, and visually stunning of the three DLC made for the game. I would love to see Klei revisit for some bug fixes but the game plays fine as-is.

On 8/2/2020 at 6:40 AM, Machine Reaper said:

skins can easily be put in a singleplayer game where players can also just mod them in and use them without paying or spooling etc
(also skins aren't the reason people are playing DST....who even told you that?")

Sorry, I may have been a little but unclear about what I said. I didn't mean just skins should be added to DS to make it more popular. I mean, obviously people like skins, but my point is that they should just add ALL of the QoL things from DST, things like events, skins, new bosses... That's why I say that they should give DS an engine update. Update it to use the same engine as DST. Then they could port things way easier, and they could develop updates for both games at once with less effort.

1 hour ago, JazzyGames said:

Agree to disagree, I suppose.

I appreciate the perspective of a modder who understands the game intricately but I have to ask, is this sense of "unfinished work" an impression made based upon the actual game experience or the knowledge of unimplemented content hidden inside the lua files? Honestly a lot of this criticism seems based on Klei's handling of their code and not how the game actually plays. Abigail's inadvertant tripping of traps, some orphaned target sharing code, an abandoned hippo rework, and an inconsistency of the platapine's name might understandably bother you, but I promise you as a player these are the farthest things from my mind. And I don't believe that the mere presence of leftover code from ideas brainstormed then abandoned necessarily leaves the game incomplete. The only reason some people know about everything that might have been added is because the files are open source.

I am still of the mind that Hamlet was one of the most dynamic, challenging, and visually stunning of the three DLC made for the game. I would love to see Klei revisit for some bug fixes but the game plays fine as-is.

Its like enjoying an early access game that launches without any changes, it can still be fun in many ways but its likely to be bug ridden and lacking a lot of depth in areas.

I just dont believe it had much lasting replayability, all its content can be seen in about 30 days, and the seasons are missing a lot of depth and variety in options to avoid the hazards.

Obviously im in the camp of people who dislike it, but it does have a LOT of great stuff in it, so im sad to see its life cut short.

Regardless of if people like it or not, its development was suddenly stopped before it could recieve promised changes.

Also the silence from Klei is deafening, people have reached out and they havent made a sound, outside of a quiet console release, which still includes all of the same bugs (and more apparently). You would think they would push a patch out to fix some major issues between now and the launch, but nope, silence. Swept under the rug.

2 hours ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

My point is that they should just add ALL of the QoL things from DST, things like events, skins, new bosses... That's why I say that they should give DS an engine update. Update it to use the same engine as DST. Then they could port things way easier, and they could develop updates for both games at once with less effort.

I mean, what's the point of having them be two seperate games? Apologies if I missed an earlier response where you answered that but either way it would necessitate a complete overhaul of a game that they've already stated they don't intend on updating. Yeah it would be nice to have the skins but I'm not all that certain that the DST engine is more optimized for single-player than the current DSA. Input lag, for instance.

1 hour ago, JazzyGames said:

I mean, what's the point of having them be two seperate games? Apologies if I missed an earlier response where you answered that but either way it would necessitate a complete overhaul of a game that they've already stated they don't intend on updating. Yeah it would be nice to have the skins but I'm not all that certain that the DST engine is more optimized for single-player than the current DSA. Input lag, for instance.

They could still work on both games at once if they really wanted to. The point of having 2 separate games is the fact that there are major differences in gameplay and mechanics between them. DST has no gameplay elements even remotely similar to those of Hamlet, and DS has very little in common with RoT. Each game provides completely different and unique experiences that the other can or does not. Neglecting one of them while focusing solely on the other is just wasting potential. Oh, and input lag. Like you said, DST has lots of it, and if I want to play RoG worlds I will always choose DS over DST because of that fact. It's not like Klei can't work on DS as well as DST. Hamlet has already proven that. They can, but they won't, and that's the issue I have with the whole situation.

14 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

That's not a bad idea, actually...

I rather the team have a ease on their workload and fix the confusing problem of entering the game and the "Which dlc do you NOT want in your gameplay". It's really confusing when you're trying to make a new world and figuring out the way to get all DLCs into one gameplay.

On 8/3/2020 at 8:17 AM, Ogrecakes said:

So, no, I dont believe its disingenuous to call it a rush job. For awhile it wasn't, but at some point that changed and Klei lost interest.

As JoeW once said (slightly paraphrased) "We made Hamlet for funsies". Apparently it stopped being fun.

Let me clarify, since this keeps getting brought up. What I was attempting to explain was that when Shipwrecked started being worked on, we were technically "done" with Don't Starve, but we wanted to experiment with how it might be if we worked with another studio to make something for Don't Starve. It worked out OK, but it was more work than I think either team really anticipated.

Then that same team that finished up Shipwrecked came up with some ideas as a fun experiment and it ended up being something we thought we should finish. The point was we were "done" with Don't Starve a long, long time ago when we started DST, but our version of "done" means I can't really ever say that we won't do anything else however, right now we don't have anything else going on for Don't Starve. That was what was being said in that context. 

I apologize if my wording seemed flippant, I was trying to express that Hamlet was made not because of an overall plan to continue supporting Don't Starve in perpetuity, only that it seemed like a fun thing for the team to do before they moved on. 

I know a lot of people are upset with Ham, but like, I really love it. Yeah, the bugs are annoying sometimes, but I can't help but laugh at them a lot of times. Hamlet isn't perfect, but for me, it added a lot to the game that I really love. Crafting finally being integrated between DLCs opened the game up to so much, the interiors are so fun to decorate and add to. Hell, even just storing stuff in a very small location on your base makes interiors amazing. The End's Well made teleportation very viable. The iron man suit is so much fun when you want/need to destroy some annoying enemy infested areas. O B S I D E A N F I R E P I T I N R O G. Shops that sell volt goat horns and ox horns. I can actually craft morning stars and weather pains and the ox horn helmet. The root trunk is such a great way to store common things you need in worlds like money and key to the city. People on this message board are so sour and I feel like I can never really express my opinion here about how much I like Hamlet. Yeah, I get it, the aporkalypse feels a bit empty, the weather seems like more could have been done, but the game is so different now due to Hamlet, and for me, it so perfect and distinct from DST.

Aight rant over, ya'll can leave

9 minutes ago, TimothyCarter said:

snip

please never feel you cannot express enjoyment. people like you gives the forum a little breath of clean air. i for one adore hearing positive things about don't starve<3 it makes it feel like the game is worth not giving up on even when it isn't being ideal

So it was just a side project they decided to sell without a plan to actually finish it?

Now I think I understand why they gave it away to so many people, I suppose.

I'm sorry but that answer from JoeW doesn't clear up why the development was so obviously canceled, and there's no answer as to where all the promised content and bug fixes are.

Promise may sound like a strong word, but so does:

image.thumb.png.a7e20a4853967c30adf6723ac64b63f1.png 

Glad I could wedge an answer out about the ps4 release, but that thing shouldn't require a lot of noise and a mention of JoeW.

9 hours ago, JoeW said:

I don't have a date at the moment, but it should be quite soon unless there is some hold up. 

That's great to hear! Since the Xbox release of Hamlet I have been asked almost every stream about Hamlet on PS4. Would definitely stream on console when it drops.

Archived