Every Stinking Game

I used to REALLY hate summer, now I have a grudging respect for it.  it's like...I recognise it as an enemy but an honourable one with rules.  Also I've had some interesting adventures during summer,

sinkholeshenanigans2.png.71ac96677922614ceaf6fae90bff2e7b.pngallthegoats.png.f68be3e18b5957ef4f2b40ce102dde92.pngdstcivday152takeyourpick.png.763d8452035c77cf830eea1b3ced329c.pngahsummer.png.702ab7b34843e742917eded7fd21f00a.png

and any season that can make me crack up laughing at how RIDICULOUS it is even while I'm dying, can't be _all_ bad...

...Notorious

15 minutes ago, LucianBale said:

I've tried the caves before. Somehow it's still burning hot underground. The sun's light can't get there, but its heat still can.

You playing singleplayer? Cause in DST I've never had overheating issues in the caves. Unless I'm next to a scaled furnace or firepit.

5 minutes ago, LucianBale said:

I've tried the caves before. Somehow it's still burning hot underground. The sun's light can't get there, but its heat still can.

If you're playing on the stand-alone Don't Starve, yes, but not on DST, caves are 100% safe during summer so you definitively should reserve your caves exploration for summer, it's a great deal.

Figured I'd share my season experience.

Autumn: Get stuff done with a side of bearger derp-around and treeguards
Winter: Get stuff done with a side of deerclops murder
Spring: Get stuff done with a side of HONK
Summer: Kill antlion, and if ruins are completed. RESIDENTSLEEPER

Honestly summer is just a boring season, especially late game for me. I'm very antsy in this game and feel the need to always be doing something, but in summer I feel like I can't unless I want to watch the world burn around me.(Wildfires reeee)

I love summer because it's the perfect combination of challenge and skill. For most, it's probably the last season you encounter in your normal year cycle, so you have the rest of the year to prepare. New players won't know what to do and will get their asses handed to them, whereas veteran players have all sorts of options to deal with summer, such as caves and ice.

Sucking at summer is part of the experience. It's undoubtedly frustrating, but so it everything else in this game. And that's the best part. Learning the game mechanics and flipping them on their sides makes it way easier and gives an immense sense of satisfaction when you pull it off. A lot of players don't get there, but learning how to counter summer is one of the funnest parts of Don't Starve.

5 minutes ago, Naveil said:

I love summer because it's the perfect combination of challenge and skill. For most, it's probably the last season you encounter in your normal year cycle, so you have the rest of the year to prepare. New players won't know what to do and will get their asses handed to them, whereas veteran players have all sorts of options to deal with summer, such as caves and ice.

Sucking at summer is part of the experience. It's undoubtedly frustrating, but so it everything else in this game. And that's the best part. Learning the game mechanics and flipping them on their sides makes it way easier and gives an immense sense of satisfaction when you pull it off. A lot of players don't get there, but learning how to counter summer is one of the funnest parts of Don't Starve.

that's all fine and dandy, but wildfires

My previous cave experimentation was in single player, yes. I go way back with this game. If the caves are actually cool in DST, that's fantastic news, well worth the time it took to post my rant.

To the other replies: it's not just the difficulty, it's the absurdity. A Deerclops? Fine. Willing suspension of disbelief. A healthy young man dying from simply being outdoors on a hot day? Makes me crazy.

1 minute ago, LucianBale said:

My previous cave experimentation was in single player, yes. I go way back with this game. If the caves are actually cool in DST, that's fantastic news, well worth the time it took to post my rant.

To the other replies: it's not just the difficulty, it's the absurdity. A Deerclops? Fine. Willing suspension of disbelief. A healthy young man dying from simply being outdoors on a hot day? Makes me crazy.

This one's easy, eyebrella + thermal, all good, if you go the extra mile, get them ouchies for a summer frest and an umbrella for a nice relax time. Slap a snow chester for nice cool foods. Of course just for you to be all the more attentive for that nice sizzling on the corner of your screen.

Summer isn't so bad once you wrap your head around it. We just use the Eyebrella/Thermal combo, always carry mats for a Endothermic fire, and stay away from important stuff during the day. We base in non essential areas, close to a cluster of ponds for frogs. We lay down 1-4 Flings (depending on our luck with Clockwork numbers up top).  I'll always clear the entire area of literally anything that could catch fire. My wife handles farms and grass/twig/berry farms and I chop wood in non crucial areas. If we forget anything at main base we make a run at night. We sometimes do AntLion, but the earthquakes are easy enough to take away from base and dodge so we are never concerned about that.

These days though we just head to the caves.

If your not in rendering distance of stuff, stuff won’t burn.

its pretty easy, Also you can outrun Antlions ground collapse craters even without having a Walking Cane.

Its not all that hard of a season if you are a veteran at survival games outside of the DS Franchise.

The Thing is- people have drastically differing skill levels, and what comes naturally easy for some.. may feel like pure torture to others.

Many people complain that summer is difficult/annoying/boring, but in my opinon it isn't, and there are many things you can do if you don't want your base to burn down:

• Small summer base (where one or two flingos cover everything important)
  • Oasis base
  • Exploring caves/ruins, building a cave base
  • Taming a beefalo (summer is the best season for that, you've got plenty of time and it won't be mating)
  • Or just having a nomadic life, avoiding base. It won't hurt much if a few trees or flowers burn around you, now will it?

And yeah, I agree there could be more summer-only stuff, not just Antlion and cactus, let's hope Klei will ad some more :)

56 minutes ago, LucianBale said:

Yeah, I don't get why people haven't inhabitated the whole Sahara yet. 

1 hour ago, LucianBale said:

the weather is suppose to be extreme so if healthy wilson dies of overheating its because its 70ºC xD (just put any info mod to see how crazy summer and winter are)

3 hours ago, LucianBale said:

it's the absurdity. A Deerclops? Fine. Willing suspension of disbelief. A healthy young man dying from simply being outdoors on a hot day? Makes me crazy.

Honestly, heat exhaustion is less absurd then a giant, bipedal deer with a single eye.

Do you guys complain about everything just for the sake of complaining?

There are gameplay toggle options for a reason you know.. don’t like Wildfires but love Summer..? Turn Wildfires off.

hate summer all together? Turn it off too.

Meanwhile in real life I try to buy a single roll of toilet paper and the last 4 stores I go to are out of stock.. this is ridiculous.

I wish DST had more game toggle options.. maybe I want a world generation similar to Single Player DS’s Archipelago campaign chapter (where the Biomes are broken up into the own unique islands accessible via, Wormhole, underground cave tunnels or in the case of Shipwrecked or DST- By Boat.) 

more options to turn on/off certain features. Want a server with no caves on Xbox or PS4? The option to turn them completely off does not currently exist.

Archived