Insanity is not that bad :<

As a old player I think insanity is not that bad. You got crazy and after few minute you can kill a shadow creature and *booom*  You are not crazy now! Only hard thing about insanity is insanity sound effect :D 
There was a mod called hallucination making insanity very creepy and annoying but it's outdated. May klei add something like that. Realize a wes watching you in darkness...

Depends what you mean by "insanity is not that bad": as a general game mechanic, related to its difficulty or linked to the insanity's visual and acoustic effects?

For me the most annoying aspect of (In)Sanity Mechanic is its audio part, then the lack of contrast between general saturation effect and snowy tiles in winter, rendering Shadow Creatures almost invisible. As a game mechanic I for one am fine with it, does what's intended. Related to difficulty, indeed maybe after X amount of years or via a "1 step-event incrementation of stakes" akin first AFw take-down through which general difficulty bar is raised, more types of Shadow Monsters - tougher ones - pop when player is insane; or mentioned tougher Shadow Creatures spawn when players stay insane for prolonged periods of time.

10 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

This is one of the main reasons I still die to the shadows, this needs to be fixed.

i like it, makes you more paranoid when you are insane (paranoid with insanity fits) also i love the sounds, gives a lot of stress and sometimes makes you think that hounds are coming xD

36 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

i like it, makes you more paranoid when you are insane (paranoid with insanity fits) also i love the sounds, gives a lot of stress and sometimes makes you think that hounds are coming xD

I like the sounds and distortion, I just don't like how in some light levels/seasons/turfs the're invisible and I get  killed before I can even equip my armor.

5 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

I personally wish it were a bit harsher, but I'm okay where it is now. I don't like that the nightmares sometimes end up unloading offscreen and make it to where you can't any more.

I don't like shadowcreatures too but insanity is not all about shadowcreatures! Realize hallucilation items on grounds, amnesia or distractors!

At 0 sanity make it so shadows crowd your screen like Ancient Fuelweaver's stun, but without the stun part.

You're still able to operate when insane, and can still do so unimpeded, but if your sanity meter is ALL THE WAY depleted, then you get a punishment in the form of visual impairment.

It's not difficult to deal with and will most likely be annoying, but it's a downside and could be used as a placeholder mechanic until something better is thought up.

2 minutes ago, Canis said:

It's not difficult to deal with and will most likely be annoying, but it's a downside.

its supposed to be fun and unique not more boring and annoying, similar things to how the bat hallucination works in Hollowed Nights would be ideal because its not "wow another monster how interesting" but its still something that makes you want to avoid insanity because trying to sit there and fight **** for 5 minutes and getting infinite nightmare fuel is so boring I'm contemplating just using a mod that disables it

Insanity could be so much better.. For example- When Insane you see Shadow Creatures, Terrorbeak & Crawling Horror. That’s it.. There’s that tall Slender Watcher guy and the other one too but only the Crawling Horror and Terrorbeak actually Attack you.

However.. When your at a Campfire at night hands swoop in to try and take the fire. maybe the lower your Sanity the more hands.. like 4 to 6 can attempt to steal the fire?

When Changing clothes at a Wardrobe Cabinet your character is grabbed by Shadow Hands and undressed/dressed.. So then. Why can’t this same animation be used to reach up out of the ground holding you in place? Making it Harder to run away from the Shadows.

Escaping would work exactly the same way you have to smash to break out of Blocks of Ice.

But at 100% Fully Insane I believe some unkillable Mega-Boss Monster should spawn something your NOT intended to EVER fight and your only option is to run away FROM until you can get your Sanity back up to an acceptable Threshold again. 

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

When Changing clothes at a Wardrobe Cabinet your character is grabbed by Shadow Hands and undressed/dressed.. So then. Why can’t this same animation be used to reach up out of the ground holding you in place? Making it Harder to run away from the Shadows.

and get instakilled in ruins, yep

Just now, thetricker1 said:

and get instakilled in ruins, yep

Not exactly, it would be more of a Minor inconvenience if anything.

And they can easily just make it so that this effect only happens while running around on the surface world.

Were talking about Klei here. They made Woodie have a 50% higher chance of spawning Tree guards, Anything is possible.

3 hours ago, Slagger said:

So what about that guys, you didn't say much thing. Here is the mod video. 

This is a pretty cool concept indeed, something like this would definitely make insanity feel like a true punishment and something more "avoidable" .

Perhaps instead of a random clone popping, a new type of shadow would turn into another "you" and start attacking you with whatever weapon you have on you (so it scales with the character) and if you defeat it or at daylight, it reveals again its true form as a shadow creature

23 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

This is a pretty cool concept indeed, something like this would definitely make insanity feel like a true punishment and something more "avoidable" .

Perhaps instead of a random clone popping, a new type of shadow would turn into another "you" and start attacking you with whatever weapon you have on you (so it scales with the character) and if you defeat it or at daylight, it reveals again its true form as a shadow creature

but shadow creatures are the ancients, but im in with the hallucination stuff

I feel like it would be better if interacted with the world more. Right now pretty much all it does is change the state of obelisks and rabbits/bunnymen. It could easily be turned into a risk and reward mechanic by making the world more dangerous, but offering new materials for more useful magic items. 

I'm pretty sure that all Klei would need to do in order to make most DST players happy is to:

Allow the option to turn off the insanity sound effects.

And make insanity sanity harder in some way. I think the best way would be having to fight the two current kinds of shadow monsters when you're at higher sanity, and having to fight one or two new kinds of shadow monsters at lower sanity, which are progressively more difficult than the two original kinds.

I know these ideas have been suggested by a million players previously, but I'm repeating it again because I think that's all the work that should be added to insanity in order for it to be fixed and harder.

Slagger's point may be true but playing with other players they might attack the shadows and "steal" them from you. Same goes for sanity restoring items/resources, others use them, too. And then there is ghost draining. In other words: In multiplayer sanity managing has more variables.

I think that there should really be some sort of unbeatable unkillable monster that chases you when you are 100% insane, and the only way to get it to go away is by raising your sanity back to acceptable levels.

It is not a GOOD Thing to be fully Insane, it’s meant to be a Hinderance but because players no longer fear the things that go bump in the night.. they see Insanity as not being so bad.

I bet you 100$ you wouldn’t feel the same way when the two Crawling Horrors, The Two Terror Beaks, Mr Skitts & The Watcher all started to Connect to one another forming some horrible unbeatable boss monster that your only option is to run for your life from the ugly monstrosity.

Archived