Mindset when it comes to griefers?

5 minutes ago, Canis said:

Kick, rollback. They don't deserve further attention.

couldnt work. I was playing with another person on a dedicated server and we couldnt vote because we were too few.

Griefer just lit all on fire at the night and we couldnt even vote to kick because it was only me, another guy and the griefer.

I know Klei usually doesnt deal with this kind of stuff but I was hoping that on a chance maybe they will this time.

Maybe at least blacklist him on the official Klei servers where it was done.

1 minute ago, meepmoop said:

couldnt work. I was playing with another person on a dedicated server and we couldnt vote because we were too few.

Griefer just lit all on fire at the night and we couldnt even vote to kick because it was only me, another guy and the griefer.

I know Klei usually doesnt deal with this kind of stuff but I was hoping that on a chance maybe they will this time.

That's the risk of public servers, they are lawless wastelands.

As Canis said, that's the rist of public worlds.

I would recommend playing on a group's public server, they are usually well moderated, so if anything happens you can notify an admin. Diverse Survivors, How to Survive, or Strictly Unprofessional have a lot of servers, you should try them ;)

11 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

As Canis said, that's the rist of public worlds.

I would recommend playing on a group's public server, they are usually well moderated, so if anything happens you can notify an admin. Diverse Survivors, How to Survive, or Strictly Unprofessional have a lot of servers, you should try them ;)

I hop around but usually the official servers have the best preformence for me. Thanks for the advice.

For some reason I dont like playing with "friends" as much. I find some fun in the fact of meeting new people and connecting through the game.

So when I "know" someone the games are less fun for me. At least that what I think it is. I dont know really why. But for some reason I enjoy more joining a world with strangers and figuring stuff as we go, rather then opening a server by myself with friends.

2 hours ago, meepmoop said:

So when I "know" someone the games are less fun for me.

My thoughts exactly. We need more people voicing this opinion for Klei to finally realize that privacy and griefing protection should be part of the game, not a community-made mod.

Port Hamlet houses to DST with Klei ID check for entry, please. Then strangers can share the world to live in without worrying about losing their stuff to people with bad intentions.

Personally, I used to grief only specific people and not in a "burn everything" way  - because that's just a minor annoyance, since you can rollback. And of course I will never do something similar to people who are just playing the game and enjoying their time while doing so. 

I think that most people who decide to go on a fire-cleansing rampage are just expressing their hatred from real life towards people they don't know, since, well, you're most likely never going to meet each other again (and they're going to uninstall DST after 10 hours of getting kicked from public servers, never wanting to understand the base game).
Or, you know, they just like seeing people in panic/anger. We'll most likely never truly understand the true reasoning behind their actions.

This griefer problem is as old as the game and Klei doesn't seem to care. In fact even DST trailer has a Willow burning some base thus I would even go as far as saying said behavior was encouraged at some point by devs as perhaps "something funny to do to hamper one's survival progress" - maybe PvP related but poorly implemented, like PvP itself. It would be quite simple to implement a script that makes character unable to perform certain actions in certain contexts like let's say 20 tiles radius around Spawn Gate one isn't able to light up any structure on fire, cannot hammer a structure if not made by them and/or a certain number of days spent on server aren't met, can't spawn Tentacles or place Spider Eggs etc - I've seen it done on dedicated servers, thus is possible. Yet Klei... crickets. GG.

There's always going to an element of griefing in this game since greifing can mean so many different things. There's no way for Klei to enforce playing nice in every way. Running your own server and issuing any bans you deem necessary is the only way you can help the problem for yourself. New people can of course join up and cause damage before you ban them, but as others have stated, just rollback and move on. I feel like that's the main reason that exists. 

20 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

they just should ban accounts with a lot of bans for games like in other games. I dont want potencial cool things, like volcano staff or winter or summer traps,  being not implemented just because some rat kids messing around

If you don't want rat kids messing around with these items, then you would not only need to ban all the griefers, you'll also have to ban all the newcomers in DST: They'll grief just like the griefers, but not because they want to grief, they just don't know how to play or what certain items do, and thus just grab the dangerous items and try them on their next target, which in most cases is the base.

3 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

If you don't want rat kids messing around with these items, then you would not only need to ban all the griefers, you'll also have to ban all the newcomers in DST: They'll grief just like the griefers, but not because they want to grief, they just don't know how to play or what certain items do, and thus just grab the dangerous items and try them on their next target, which in most cases is the base.

then dont ban newbies, i dont see the problem. If you make some mess because you are noob and others ban you doesnt means that you will be  banned from the game because it was 1 time. But a rat kid that always do that, he will have a lot of bans by the time. Then block him for online servers

1 minute ago, Xenologist said:

The real question i have is, can you grief the griefer?

The real answer I have is: No.

Griefers can just leave the game whenever they want to, and unlike other players, they didn't put any effort on the world they griefed, so unlike others, griefers will always be able to grief without getting any single casualty.

Again the straw-man excuse of "griefing can mean so many things and do think about the poor newbies" - there are basic cases, clear as day in their intent, when a mofo with lighter/torch sets fire intentionally to everything in and around a camp, this has 0 "but" interpretations - their intention is obvious to destroy one's work. Aside the script thingy I mentioned above, Klei could also implement a reputation system with clear lines: let's say at any point during a DST server-session you can access via TAB a new button next to each player on said server; pressing it a pop-up appears with types of reports: 1. player intentionally set fire to base; 2. player hammered intentionally N structures in base; 3. player intentionally spawned tentacles in base; etc. Each report translates to -1 reputation point; at let's say -20 reputation points player gets a warning for perceived bad-behavior; at -40 points player gets second warning further informing them that if more infringements occur, a temporary ban will be issued; at -60 negative rep points a 30 minutes ban on logging on any servers aside own ones will be set in place; at further -80 rep points (past those 30 minutes time-out) a 1h ban is issued. On the -100 rep points a 3h ban ensues; the more -rep points accumulated, and ban goes up to 1 day, 3 days, 1 week. Again we are talking here about griefers of Clouds-level that goes on servers to burn stuff, on-and-on-and-on - is their MO, no 2-ways interpretation here.

And ofc there should also be +rep options given by players on server based on certain positive actions, like reviving players, giving players materials and items etc so negative ones could be canceled by positive actions.

Would such a system be infallible? Ofc not. Can be abused? Yes if enough organization at one end is met. Yet is infinitely better than the lawless environment we have now in pubs. Most serious games out there have such enforcing systems for trolls, yet again - Klei: crickets.

Some people grief because they are sadist. They get joy from others misery

Some griefer want to force a world regeneration, by making the world hopeless. These griefers can then get to play a fresh world.

Some griefer does it out of revenge, for perceived or valid cause. Not revealing your base to them can get you griefed. Griefing for revenge is still a bad reason as it makes the world goes blind.

If you want to help deal with the problem, you can join the DST group. They host the servers like DST US, DST Germany, DST Singapore. Report the griefers, even from klei official server, there, with evidence. Not so credible reports still end up as being watchlist.

Download DST Group banlist. there are over 2000 players with history of griefing. Constantly scan the players joining, and if the known griefers join, you should ...

Xbox has a grand total of 6 players and no Dedicated Servers at all so geiefing is pretty much a non-existent thing.. it’s actually quite nice honestly.

and when someone does grief you can just kick them out your server and Rollback. Problem Solved.

With no Dedicated Servers it means that worlds are only ran for as long as the Host player is playing the game. So when they leave the game it automatically kicks everyone else out the world as well.

Over on PC where I’ve heard rumors of Massive 20 players Public Worlds... hahahahahaha ..... um, Good Luck!

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Xbox has a grand total of 6 players and no Dedicated Servers at all so geiefing is pretty much a non-existent thing.. it’s actually quite nice honestly.

and when someone does grief you can just kick them out your server and Rollback. Problem Solved.

With no Dedicated Servers it means that worlds are only ran for as long as the Host player is playing the game. So when they leave the game it automatically kicks everyone else out the world as well.

Over on PC where I’ve heard rumors of Massive 20 players Public Worlds... hahahahahaha ..... um, Good Luck!

I like big servers less anyway. Most enjoyable for me are groups of 3-5 people. Playing in Xbox you might know every other player by name bases, no? haha

51 minutes ago, blizstorm said:

Some people grief because they are sadist. They get joy from others misery

Some griefer want to force a world regeneration, by making the world hopeless. These griefers can then get to play a fresh world.

Some griefer does it out of revenge, for perceived or valid cause. Not revealing your base to them can get you griefed. Griefing for revenge is still a bad reason as it makes the world goes blind.

If you want to help deal with the problem, you can join the DST group. They host the servers like DST US, DST Germany, DST Singapore. Report the griefers, even from klei official server, there, with evidence. Not so credible reports still end up as being watchlist.

Download DST Group banlist. there are over 2000 players with history of griefing. Constantly scan the players joining, and if the known griefers join, you should ...

I never griefed in DST. I did grief on very few occasions in another game. Dota. The only reason I did it was as a 'revenge' against the community there which I hated deeply. You would put a lot of time into this game and people would still blame and curse you even when you try your best. even if getting to the level of play you have there requires hundreds of hours of experience. Most of the times, as in >99% games I would just let it slip. I would tell myself 'its fine. they are just looking someone to blame. ill just watch my replay and learn from my mistakes'. But rarely I would *snip*. I would say to myself "they think this is bad? I'll show them really what it is like to be bad.". So for me it was a kinda of revenge. And I would never get banned for it because I did it once in 1000 games (hey we all make mistakes dont judge).

In DST the amount of grief is unmatchable though. I think there is a griefer in 1 out of 8 games that last more then 20 days.

-

DST Germany is known to be a problematic server with lots of connection issues even for people in Germany.

DST France is good for me most of the time. I do like it but its a bit far from my region so I will prioritize other servers before.

All the Russian servers are a bit problematic for me too. They tend to (understandably) have Russians in them. And although I can read Russian I can not write in it (Russian is not my native language so dont judge) and its hard to communicate.

"Dont fight together 1-3" all have mods.

DST @ Shnitzel is fine. Some times I do join it,

'Really cool server' does not have caves.

Archived