Klei should make a pirated version of DS

Not to take the topic too seriously, but I played DS with a pirated copy first.  Maybe after 100 or so hours I bought into the game.  If I never had a pirated copy I would have never bought the game.  Sure, trolling can be fun and funny, but good games sell regardless.  Any developer who blames pirated copies for lampooning their game has vastly overestimated how much people want to play their game.

Just now, Superlucas1231 said:

Pirated version should force you to play as Woodlegs and be stuck in a cage until someone with a legit copy frees you

I'd love Emmet to do a parody of the wii ware lobby music as Woodlegs is interacting with things in his cage.

I love anti-piracy trolls, they're a creative way for game devs to mess with the heads of those who acquire their game through less... legitimate means...

I remember one game where the troll was it replaced bullets with chickens, omg that was funny.

Maybe the troll is that light sources(torches, campfires, etc.) just don't work, so pirates can go through day 1 until night, then night happens and since light sources don't work the player is guarenteed to get charlie'd. Oh and add in that mentioned jumpscare when you get charlie'd. ;)

Dude.. it’s 14$ why would anyone pirate something for 14$?

When I first bought Don’t Starve I bought it thinking I would probably play it for 3 or 4 days and then never touch it again.

I figured why not..? I’ve spent 120$+ on games I absolutely ended up hating.. so 14$ for DS was no big deal.

Let me just say that I have a massive game collection of over 400 something games just sitting in my ready to be installed hub on my Xbox, and even though I have about 3 TB of Storage space to install to my hearts content- I only actually ever keep about 40 games that I Actively play on my console- The rest end up in Ready to be Install never to be seen, touched or thought about again until I get some wild desire to revisit them (usually years later..)

The very fact that Don’t Starve & Don’t Starve Together Survived to be on that list of 40 games is something Klei should feel proud about.

Why? Because it sits in a list beside GTA V, Red Dead Redemption 2, Gears of War, Minecraft etc.... and I don’t feel at all like it doesn’t belong there.

Pirating games is very bad & I don’t encourage anyone to do it, but I also don’t encourage developers to make special pirate versions of their games that fuels them into wanting to do it.

If you like a game buy it and enjoy it and support the people who took the time out of their own lives to create it, and if you Don’t like a game... forget it and find something you do.

Yes when I came to these forums the very first thing I asked for was Pirate Content be added into DST... but THIS IS THE WRONG TYPE OF PIRATE CONTENT!

14 hours ago, minespatch said:

Here me out:

It's not the full game, just like 5% and then a jumpscare. I love it when devs troll people who pirate games.:wilson_ecstatic:

Make the only playable character Wes.  Everything is there but the only food that spawns in the entire game comes from a single berry bush.

"We hope you enjoyed the game, to actually not starve, buy the original"

52 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Dude.. it’s 14$ why would anyone pirate something for 14$?

Not everyone can afford or just want to spend that much for a game that they might not even like. 

54 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If you like a game buy it and enjoy it and support the people who took the time out of their own lives to create it, and if you Don’t like a game... forget it and find something you do.

Yeah, but how do you know if you like a game if you haven't played it at all? Spending money on a game can be a bit risky, you might dislike some of its features, its mechanics, atmosphere (that you can't always judge from just trailers), or it might be buggy or simply not what you expected. 

I don't say that this makes pirating any less illegal. 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Pirating games is very bad & I don’t encourage anyone to do it, but I also don’t encourage developers to make special pirate versions of their games that fuels them into wanting to do it.

Pretty much agreed, pirated games are still illegal, but for the company (here Klei) I think releasing "trolling versions" would do more harm, since (as we can see) there are numerous people who buy a game after playing its pirated version.

Bonus: semi-off-topic, but when I read "trolling pirated game versions", I immediately remembered one of the Stanley Parable's trailer :D (minor spoilers!) :

Spoiler

Archived