tepidizer uses?

is it just me, or is this building a bit redundant? whats the point of it? I mean we have aquatuners and metal refineries creating heat and both of them acquired around the same time as tepidizer. And later on you have volcano's to heat stuff up faster.

I mean the design is interesting but... just cant see anyone using it.

It's useful. It matches what new players expect it to do: warming up liquids. It's just a shame it doesn't boil water.

While power costly, yeah, it's cheaper than Aquatuner and Metal Refinery which can do the same (even more intensively) but as a side effect of their "main use".

Tepidizer is nice to warm liquids just for a few degrees like when you have 18 ºC polluted water and want it to get around 22-25Cº to feed reed fiber. I also enjoy it only using a single line of 4 tiles of space.

If you are looking to purify liquids of germs without needing a complex setup using chlorine and water reservoirs, simply heating the liquid up to 85oC is an easy and fairly fast way to get rid of food poisoning.

If you are on a super cold map like Rime, everything is frigid and frozen, and heat is the main problem to solve, rather than food or resources.

17 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

If you are looking to purify liquids of germs without needing a complex setup using chlorine and water reservoirs, simply heating the liquid up to 85oC is an easy and fairly fast way to get rid of food poisoning.

Yes, but then you need to cool it down again, so you may as well just use an AT to first heat it up, then cool it back down.

31 minutes ago, psusi said:

Yes, but then you need to cool it down again, so you may as well just use an AT to first heat it up, then cool it back down.

Sure, you could use an AT for that purpose. But if all you need is warmed water, a tepidizer is FAR more energy efficient than an AT.

Tepidizer requires 960W, and produces 4,064 kDTU/s of thermal energy, which equates to 4,200 DTU per watt of energy consumed.

Aquatuner doesn't actually produce any heat by itself, it only moves heat from the coolant to the environment. Unless you are dumping the coolant somewhere, there is zero net gain in heat, despite costing massive energy.
Assuming you are dumping the coolant just before its freezing point, aquatuners cost 1,200W of energy, using polluted water as coolant would move 585 kDTU/s of thermal energy, which means 487 DTU per watt, which is ridiculously inefficient. Even supercoolant wouldn't overcome this efficiency gap.

Conclusion: unless you are desperate for cooling at the same time, it is 8.6x more electricity efficient to use a tepidizer. The only limitation is that the tepidizer can only bring it to 85oC maximum, which may be more of a benefit than a drawback.

50 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

Conclusion: unless you are desperate for cooling at the same time, it is 8.6x more electricity efficient to use a tepidizer. The only limitation is that the tepidizer can only bring it to 85oC maximum, which may be more of a benefit than a drawback.

Right, but who needs hot water?

The Tepidizer is very convenient for specific purposes. I had a large sour gas boiler with a few aquatuners that would sometimes get *too cold* if the flow rates got impeded. The system would lock up since everything froze out and there was no heat to prime it. I just stuck in a tepidizer with a thermo switch to keep the system from getting colder than -250 and it now it's bullet proof. Sure i could build a large complicated Aquatuner heater loop that snaked the cooling tube all the way to a heat source like a volcano, But why bother?

In other part of my base i have a highly compact pincha pepper farm with no room for a space heater. So to maintain temperature i snaked around the polluted water irrigation lines with some radiant piping and heated in the incoming water with the tepidizer. While the water is usually warm enough, it's sometimes fed by a slush geyser which is too cold. So the tepidizer keeps the polluted water tank warm during slush geyser eruptions. I don't use an aquatuner because the activity cycle of the slush geyser is too far apart. All my machines that need cooling can't wait for the slush geyser's activity cycle to match. So for those machines i use alternative continuous cooling sources and for my polluted water tank i use the tepidizer where i don't have to worry about dumping the excess cooling the aquatuner would put out. 

I think you're expecting the tepidizer to be this must-have staple machine like a pump or a door. It was never meant to be that. It's a tremendously convenient heat source for when you specifically need it. 

On the flip side i once ran a colony that had no tepidizers anywhere, everything just happen to conveniently work out that way. But i would still keep the tepidizer for those colonies where i do need it. 

55 minutes ago, psusi said:

Right, but who needs hot water?

You even quoted me in your first post where I said it's great for purging food poisoning. Did you actually read it before quoting?

Second reason: heating polluted water is also a great way to bring it to approaching boiling point, so you can boil/condense and gain a load of dirt as well as clean water. Sure, a volcano would be better for this, but not every map has one, and tepidizers are stupidly simple.

Third reason: temperature management. Some farms like peppernuts or trees require heating in asteroids like Rime, so heating a pool of liquid beneath the farm is far easier than a complex aquatuner setup. Maybe even heating a pool of polluted water for the irrigation, since slush geysers are a massive source of pH2O, but it's way too cold.

Who needs hot water? Not you, it would seem, but lots of people with a specific need and some creativity.

2 hours ago, crypticorb said:

The only limitation is that the tepidizer can only bring it to 85oC maximum, which may be more of a benefit than a drawback.

Unless you pulse it, then it becomes actually useful for SOMETHING and can provide heat for steam turbines for infinite energy.

Also useful for making steam for steam rocket.

Tepidizer is a funny building: it's most of its usefulness comes from an exploit, but it's still nearly useless even with it.

4 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

So I wasn't wrong. It is kind of unused building.

What if Klei make them more power efficient / heat faster?

They already are efficient I think something like 10 times as much compared to a space heater and you can’t raise the temp threshold without allowing a perpetual motion steam turbine.

35 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

You even quoted me in your first post where I said it's great for purging food poisoning. Did you actually read it before quoting?

You seem to be missing my point.  You only need it hot temporarily, then what do you do with it?  You need to cool it back off to feed it to crops.  If you are going to feed it to the electrolyzer then who cares if it's got food poisoning?  I don't see why you would want to heat it up and not cool it back down after disinfecting.

Second reason: heating polluted water is also a great way to bring it to approaching boiling point, so you can boil/condense and gain a load of dirt as well as clean water. Sure, a volcano would be better for this, but not every map has one, and tepidizers are stupidly simple.

Same thing: after you boil it, you need to cool it down again.  There's no reason to heat it first with a tepidizer unless you are starting with cold water, and for reasons I can't fathom, want hot water when you're done.

Third reason: temperature management. Some farms like peppernuts or trees require heating in asteroids like Rime, so heating a pool of liquid beneath the farm is far easier than a complex aquatuner setup. Maybe even heating a pool of polluted water for the irrigation, since slush geysers are a massive source of pH2O, but it's way too cold.

Yea, I suppose if you are early on a cold asteroid ( still surprised they added different kinds of maps you can start on now... will have to try them some day ), or are trying to grow peppernuts from a slush geyser ( still never seen one of these ) then it would be handy.

2 hours ago, Angpaur said:

Since they delete 3/4 of heat when water is over 70C then they kinda do need hot water, if you want to use them efficiently.

If you are using them to delete heat then you want to use an AT to heat the water... using a tepidizer would just be wasting power.

6 hours ago, meepmoop said:

is it just me, or is this building a bit redundant? whats the point of it? I mean we have aquatuners and metal refineries creating heat and both of them acquired around the same time as tepidizer. And later on you have volcano's to heat stuff up faster.

I mean the design is interesting but... just cant see anyone using it.

If you start in a colder realm, the tepedizer is one of the most economic ways of getting your base warm enough to grow plants.  Its also useful when you want to stabilize a pool of liquid at a specific temperature for whatever reason.  For example, I had a passive cooling pipe system that went through an AETN to keep a pool of water cool.  Usually I had hot water dumping into the pool from a geyser, but during dormancy the water could get a bit too cold -- so I stuck a tepidizer in there to kick on if the temperature got anywhere close to freezing.  It was a quick fix that solved the problem without the need to rebuild my cooling pipes.

Liquid tepidizers are fantastic at one job. warming large amounts of liquid. You can warm a thermo block and pipe something through it for peppernut farms and the like. You dont need them for every base, but when you do need them, like for Rime, they are great.

I am not actively playing right now, but when I do i plan on using it to regulate temperature of farms with the mod that makes farm tiles suck up liquids from adjacent tiles. You can get a one thick pool of irrigation, with coolant piped behind when its too hot and tepidiser running when its too cold.

Archived