So this new hot tub thing..

The wiki says that it dumps the water when it cools to below 37.7.  What causes it to cool?  According to onidb it produces 5 kDTU/s of heat.  Does it actually remove heat from the water, or is it just exchanging heat with the one tile of air?  Would keeping a little chlorine at the floor be worth it to prevent heat loss?  If it actively removes heat could you use it for cooling?  What happens if the water is above 37.7?

On a more serious note, the building overheats at 37.7C, so you have to cool it for it to work. And that cools the water in it as well.

I have put it on metal-tiles with 30C water below and feed it with 48C water. That way it is up most of the time.

7 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

so dupes dont want the water to be more than 37 C when in a hot tub, but they dont care about it being 90 C when in a shower (as far as i know)

Actually, they require the water to be >37.7C, but the tub (and hence environment) must be below 37.7C. There seems to be some hot/cold experience going on here.

So don't you want to have the tub to be touching a little water on the floor, except in the one tile where the contained hot water is considered to be, that you use a radiant liquid pipe to keep at 36 degrees?  Or is it better to use metal tile under it that is cooled, except for the one tile where the contained water is considered to be?

2 hours ago, metallichydra said:

so dupes dont want the water to be more than 37 C when in a hot tub, but they dont care about it being 90 C when in a shower (as far as i know)

3 morale for shower seems way easier than 4 morale hot tube with a tight operating window  base heating, and need to temper the water.

I've yet to play the recreation update, I'm lurking until I feel motivated to start a new colony, but I have to say this sounds pretty frustrating. I get that the Dupes want hot water in a hot tub. What I don't get is why Klei decided the hot tub itself needed to overheat and stop operating if it got above 37.7 C. That seems unreasonable for a raft of reasons.

3 hours ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I've yet to play the recreation update, I'm lurking until I feel motivated to start a new colony, but I have to say this sounds pretty frustrating. I get that the Dupes want hot water in a hot tub. What I don't get is why Klei decided the hot tub itself needed to overheat and stop operating if it got above 37.7 C. That seems unreasonable for a raft of reasons.

On the opposite, i think Klei's idea on this is amazingly great.

It looks stupid at the first moment, but the setting force you to cool the air around the hot tub, while keeping the water to be hot. It is exactly the set up of a hot spring. 

If both water and the air around is hot, it is totally not comfortable. It is really close to real life relaxation!

13 hours ago, Dosephshih said:

On the opposite, i think Klei's idea on this is amazingly great.

It looks stupid at the first moment, but the setting force you to cool the air around the hot tub, while keeping the water to be hot. It is exactly the set up of a hot spring. 

If both water and the air around is hot, it is totally not comfortable. It is really close to real life relaxation!

I agree. At first I was a bit stumped, but I found it a nice little puzzle after that and I have a good solution now.

On 4.12.2019 at 7:27 PM, psusi said:

So don't you want to have the tub to be touching a little water on the floor, except in the one tile where the contained hot water is considered to be, that you use a radiant liquid pipe to keep at 36 degrees?  Or is it better to use metal tile under it that is cooled, except for the one tile where the contained water is considered to be?

Which tile (with hot water) would that be?

I have copper metal tiles beneath, a copper statue besides the hot tub and diamond tempshift plates behind both. Temperature is 30°C before use. Without water on the floor it overheats few seconds after the dupes jump in, and then it shows "water too cold".

If there is water on the floor they get soggy feet.

Overheats and at the same time has too cold water inside, in terms of the ingame physics, does not make sense to me.

2 hours ago, Master Miner said:

If there is water on the floor they get soggy feet.

Solution: have them wear bath-atmo-suits to the tub. They can already shower in those.

Alternatively, try to have them only enter the tub from the left and have water on the rightmost tile. Dupes are almost always on the left side of the center, if center is not available.

Those workarounds are fine, if they work at all, but that can not be the solution. The hot tub is broken by design. Its a pain in the a** to mange the water to be at 37,7°C with all the surroundings. A bit lower, it wont work. .1°C above, and the damn thing breaks. 

I strongly suggest the devs make some changes to this thing ASAP.

1 hour ago, SharraShimada said:

Those workarounds are fine, if they work at all, but that can not be the solution. The hot tub is broken by design. Its a pain in the a** to mange the water to be at 37,7°C with all the surroundings. A bit lower, it wont work. .1°C above, and the damn thing breaks. 

I strongly suggest the devs make some changes to this thing ASAP.

I disagree. This is a nice building that is not quite obvious to use. Once you have it figured out, it is _absolutely_ no problem.

Hint: You are doing it wrong...

9 hours ago, Dosephshih said:

I found the bigger problem is that Dupes spend over 2 hrs to finish the hot tub, need to change their schedule or they will skip their sleeping time totally.

Same here. Although the buff seems to keep for a while.

Personally, I haven't had an issue with it after the first overheat.

I have a radiant cooling loop in my base and the tub is in one corner of the base (which wasn't inside the loop when it overheated) on carpet tiles, so I just ran the cooling loop around the tub. As for the water going into it, I use insulated pipes (only ignious nothing fancy) with water from my desalination setup so it's still around 80C.

Like I said no issues in over several hundred cycles, and plenty of instances of multiple dupes using the tub at the same time

13 hours ago, Bacca said:

Like I said no issues in over several hundred cycles, and plenty of instances of multiple dupes using the tub at the same time

Same here. I just have it standing on metal tiles with some tiles of water at 30C directly below. That water may eventually need cooling to keep it at, say, below 35C, but not much. It heats up extremely slowly. As to input, I use water at around 80C as well.  

Archived