• Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Warly
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Wurt

I voted Woodie but that was before I remembered Webber. I would probably change my vote if I could. Woodie is mostly polite to everyone, probably due to his Canadian origin, but sometimes he just snaps (e.g. birds) and I can't remember Webber doing anything like that. He's always nice and polite. Both of them beat Wickerbottom because while she's being polite she's also super strict and I get the feeling she's hiding spikes and disapproval behind all that politeness. Wolfgang is polite too but also naive and just a teeny tiny bit stupid. He's being polite because he has a big warm heart and he can't think of any other way to treat people around him, not because being polite is the "proper" thing to do. I don't know if he even understands the whole concept of being polite, he's just genuinely nice. I see there a small difference, so I didn't vote him or Wormwood. Imo Wilson's far too eccentric to get the title of "The Most Polite Character". He's the type of person who might greet you politely and ask about your day and the next moment kill your pet rabbit for science. Willow is not the most polite character. Being honest is not always the same as being polite, although personally I value honesty over politeness.

Basicly imo being polite doesn't necessarily make a person likeable and vice versa. Also politeness requires an adequate understanding of how social realationships and society in general work. People who follow the proper etiquette are polite but I think "being polite" is just a coincidence if you're nice but have no idea what an "etiquette" is.

On 02/12/2019 at 12:19 AM, bitcrushed_rage said:

Ah sorryyy
I'm just so used to defaulting to he

Is no one taking Wolfgang into consideration here?

i'd say wolfgang is more friendly.

On 02/12/2019 at 12:27 AM, NormalPinkerton said:

[m8]

maxwell: literally uses a gender-neutral honorific for them.
developers: literally made a third category of gender called ROBOT specifically for WX-78.

edit: i got so annoyed with this that i decided to go datamining for a specific snippet of code, ended up getting sidetracked. my apologies about that comment.

Just now, NormalPinkerton said:

[No, you.]

Adventure mode specifically refers to them with neutral pronouns. Deaths in DST refer to them with neutral pronouns.

Interestingly enough, Wormwood and Webber are also in that segment of code, but I can't grab it as I don't know the file for it.

8 minutes ago, NormalPinkerton said:

He still identifies as male though, so using him/he pronouns are valid alternatives

the screenshots you've shown are them referring to *themselves* with masculine honorifics.

Spoiler

GENDERSTRINGS =
    {
        MALE =
        {
            ONE = "he",
            TWO = "his",
        },
        FEMALE =
        {
            ONE = "she",
            TWO = "her",
        },
        ROBOT =
        {
            ONE = "they",
            TWO = "their",
        },
        DEFAULT =
        {
            ONE = "they",
            TWO = "their",
        },
    },

finally found the snippet of code.

7 minutes ago, Voidbarker said:

the screenshots you've shown are them referring to *themselves* with masculine honorifics.

8 minutes ago, NormalPinkerton said:

He still identifies as male though, so using him/he pronouns are valid alternatives

No please,

I cant go through this whole debate again.

20 minutes ago, NormalPinkerton said:

Why does this argument even keep happening? Why does it not stop at the game literally saying "They became a spooky ghost"? Honestly, I think it says a lot that so many people find it necessary to dig through quotes from old DS-only content to find any little drop of evidence that WX is male, despite literally everything in DST saying otherwise...

2 minutes ago, Voidbarker said:

arguably, they probably don't know the neutral variant to king / brother, or theyre misgendering themselves. hell if i know.

Third option: the second one is a SW quote. SW has very very few quotes for previously-existing characters that are actually in-character, and it's not at all surprising that something like this slipped in.

The first quote is from 2013, and is directly contradicted many many times in DST, so I really do not understand why people bring it up like the Ultimate WX-78 Own.

I feel like even from a gameplay perspective, woodie is still the most polite

unlike the other survivors (except for wigfrid), he won't raze your pig villages for pig skins, much rather just humbly clearing out spiders for monster meat to make his moose idols as armor for his ruins rushing escapades.

21 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

[I blew it all sky high by refering to WX-78 as male, oh I blew it all sky highhhhhhh!]

The fact that the game refers to him as they/them doesn't prove anything, because it's the "correct" way to say it, the grammatically correct one. Now let's not refer to any old unchanged quotes, Wx does have manly tendencies, he never says his gender, so it's a completly logical conclusion to refer to him as a he.

I give up on investing time on this stupid arguement about a fictional robot's gender, there's nothing to be gained, no one will change their mind. Who cares if someone used he instead of they? Honestly let people refer to WX-78 as however they want a she, a he, a they or an it. Let people enjoy themselves.

I'm just going to pitch for the sake of it that "Polite" is not the same thing as "honest", and "nice" has a more wider interpretation than "polite" does.

Attempted examples:
It would be honest to tell Wormwood (in a disgusted voice) that he smells like beefalo dung. It would certainly not be polite to do so.
It is nice that Wickerbottom has taken to teaching Wurt, but I wouldn't necessarily consider that either polite nor impolite. Just... nice.

On that, I think the point of Wilson's language is a good one and makes him a strong contnder.

Archived