Is fishing even worth your time?

I can't really see why I would go out of my way to catch fish? They don't stack, the food is mediocre with better options. Capturing heavy fish and putting it in the scale-o-matic for bragging rights is useless.

If you wanted to brag: Try killing dragonfly, Beequeen, raiding the ruins/killing ancient guardian, fully-tame a beefalo because that has more uses then fishing.

If you wanted food: destroying all pigman houses before winter and make a farm, berry farms, cactus, Beefalo, hound mounds, stone fruit bushes, and a lot more.

This is definitely something for late game but there is no benefit doing late game either, the only reason why it's for late game because you'll have time to do it then. in early game there's way more important (and fun) things to be doing.

To make it better, what if you could fish treasure? what if you had a trawling net/could mass-harvest fish
What if you can fish for higher, quality fish, and give it to the pig king for gold/trinkets/other useful items? (emphasis on useful items) Getting rewarded for fishing. Then it would entail bragging rights because right now it's just a number. I wouldn't be impressed with a high number just because it means it's heavy, because it really means nothing.

End of rant, Tl;Dr There is no real reason to fish.

25 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

latest?cb=20151208110013

Pierogi and 2 blue caps work, plus eels and maybe freshwater fish work too? the ocean isn't needed.

20 minutes ago, trinket_4 said:

for fun

It could be fun people but really, it's not worth it, That's the point of this thread

This adds nothing worthwhile, and really you can say that for the entierty of RoT except for stone fruit bushes.

The point of posting also, is to post something that adds a little more then a small image or 2 words. Thank you.

Really is a testament to quality of life then isn't it. I don't mind it in concept, actually in concept it's rather intriguing. In a harsh survival game of wits blood and tears, between life and death, the most fortunate find themselves with enough not only to get by, but to make it a sport. When the time ever comes between hard work were they find themselves with nothing to do, fishing sports is just one of those curious things that humans might resort to for various reasons. So in short, I find it reflects life in interesting ways.

With that said, it is also a testament to the state of our endgame. It kind of sends the message "this game has peaked". Once we start indulging in frivolousness like this.

And well. Maybe so then. Maybe so.

1 minute ago, Cosheeta said:

Really is a testament to quality of life then isn't it

Do you know by chance what quality of life means? to quote the first result when I search up "quality of life in gaming" this comes up

""Quality of life" in the context of video games refers to features or aspects of game design that ensure that players have a smooth gameplay experience and do not get burnt out as fast. ... By having it be contained within the game world, it would be less exploitative."

Smooth gameplay experience? This new feature doesn't help with that. Smooth-gameplay comes from getting menial tasks out of the way, progressing as far as you can, as fast as you can so the game can be smoother late down the line. (fully functional base with bushes/saplings/grass) In order for your gameplay to be smoother (Not suffer consequences from not doing somethings) you would need to avoid fishing entirely. It would just get in the way of prioritizing and timing with other way more important things to do.

5 minutes ago, Cosheeta said:

With that said, it is also a testament to the state of our endgame. It kind of sends the message "this game has peaked". Once we start indulging in frivolousness like this.

And well. Maybe so then. Maybe so.

Cool but why? Why do we need this? There's no use for it other then to realize "wow, there's nothing left for me to do" and just quit the game

I would fish but only really later game, just to catch huge fish to be a completionist of sorts.

This still doesn't mean it's worthwhile at all.

10 minutes ago, Seero said:

Pierogi and 2 blue caps work, plus eels and maybe freshwater fish work too? the ocean isn't needed.

It could be fun people but really, it's not worth it, That's the point of this thread

This adds nothing worthwhile, and really you can say that for the entierty of RoT except for stone fruit bushes.

The point of posting also, is to post something that adds a little more then a small image or 2 words. Thank you.

Sure, it isn’t needed, but would you rather use two silk everytime to catch some fish, or would you rather spend six to get a nearly infinite food source you can gather while wandering around during any available season? It’s just more cost effective, and even if you don’t see the value in that, that doesn’t mean it’s entirely not worthwhile.

plus, y’know. It’s like the only food source you can get on boats besides seaweed. That’s pretty important considering packing up a boat used to require iceboxes for long journeys.

Just now, YouKnowWho said:

Sure, it isn’t needed, but would you rather use two silk everytime to catch some fish, or would you rather spend six to get a nearly infinite food source you can gather while wandering around during any available season? It’s just more cost effective, and even if you don’t see the value in that, that doesn’t mean it’s entirely not worthwhile.

plus, y’know. It’s like the only food source you can get on boats besides seaweed. That’s pretty important considering packing up a boat used to require iceboxes for long journeys.

It takes a lot of time, and time is pretty important in this game, and why do you need to be on the sea for any long period of time except for stone fruit bushes and probably fight the malbatross? Do you need that much food where you can't carry it or just make another icebox? It just saves more time if you don't go out of the way. It's not efficient period, you would never encounter this mechanic for practicality in the game, only to just fish for the sake of fishing later game.

8 minutes ago, Seero said:

It takes a lot of time, and time is pretty important in this game, and why do you need to be on the sea for any long period of time except for stone fruit bushes and probably fight the malbatross? Do you need that much food where you can't carry it or just make another icebox? It just saves more time if you don't go out of the way. It's not efficient period, you would never encounter this mechanic for practicality in the game, only to just fish for the sake of fishing later game.

And regular fishing doesn’t take time?

And regular fishing doesn’t take time?

Not as much? Still not worth it and I never ever implied it was, well maybe you only need 2 fish (too make surf n turf)and just need to go too a nearby pond, then that's pretty cheap and might be pretty worth it.

22 minutes ago, Seero said:

Not as much? Still not worth it and I never ever implied it was, well maybe you only need 2 fish (too make surf n turf)and just need to go too a nearby pond, then that's pretty cheap and might be pretty worth it.

Walking to a pond, fishing from it (which takes a minimum of 4 seconds for one, with 4 seconds adding on each), and walking back is definitively less time efficient than just fishing from the ocean. That is, unless you base in one of those frog pond areas, and we know that’s not the best idea.

Walking to a pond, fishing from it (which takes a minimum of ten seconds for one, with ten seconds adding on each), and walking back is definitively less time efficient than just fishing from the ocean.

I will not ever be convinced that this is the case, you would need to give me a video comparing the two in order to do that. I don't believe this at all.

It takes more then 10 seconds to fish in the ocean for a single fish, and you stay there, moving your boat to different places to fish, not too mention the good ones are far out in the ocean, which means you would take your slow boat all the way there. This isn't the case, it just not faster.

Yeah, it isn't time efficent, like many other things that aren't in the "meta". It's not suppose to be this grandiose thing that shakes the game to it core and forces you to re understand the game, its just fishing. While the fishing dishes may not be the best source of hunger or health, it provides a alternative way for them and thats how fishing is suppose to be, a alternative not a main source. The main point of fishing is suppose to be fun and provide some benefit to the action. Due to the game not having as much stuff to do as in SP, they are adding things that both differentiate and provide both interesting and fun gameplay, not just features that help you acsend to godhood. While the string of updates thus far have been non essential, they give us things to do and new things to use which helps the game be more fun and open to how it goes about things, then adding things that are powerful because other wise other items would trump them. Fishing is meant to be fun and provide a alternative to the foods we have now. As a side note, Warly can greatly benefit from fishing as the limited amount of healing foods he can eat makes him more fragile then most, thus these crockpot recipes who prioratize health are great for him.

19 minutes ago, Seero said:

I will not ever be convinced that this is the case, you would need to give me a video comparing the two in order to do that. I don't believe this at all.

It takes more then 10 seconds to fish in the ocean for a single fish, and you stay there, moving your boat to different places to fish, not too mention the good ones are far out in the ocean, which means you would take your slow boat all the way there. This isn't the case, it just not faster.

It’s not the actual fishing that’s the major time investment, it’s the walking to the pond everytime you want a fish that takes away from time.

2 hours ago, Seero said:

They don't stack, the food is mediocre with better options...

If you wanted food: destroying all pigman houses before winter and make a farm, berry farms, cactus, Beefalo, hound mounds, stone fruit bushes, and a lot more.

I'm not really a fan of this attitude. Almost any new food source, unless it is something absolutely incredibly amazing, will be worse than previous options, because stuff like bunnymen and spiders are always going to be super good.

Ocean fish are almost definitely outclassed by bunnymen... does that make them worse for food? Yeah, probably. But a lot of the fun in the DS/T endgame, in my opinion, comes from experimenting with all the different food sources possible. In DS, among other things, I've lived off of snake bone soup (snake bones + monster meat) and tacos (carapace + seaweed) before. Are either of those amazing food sources? Heck no, especially in comparison to easy stuff like bunnymen, but both were incredibly fun and memorable to farm, much more so than any of the meta food sources I've experienced.

Do you know you can get bone shards by fishing ?

A spoiled fish can be hammered to loot this prised item at any moment of the year and for completely free. Clearly the fastest way to farm it. You just have to encounter a shoal and start fishing. Since I'm playing with a Warly main friend, Bone Shards and fishes are very handy to us, we mostly eat Bone Bouillon and Moqueca from the extra fish we have in stock all time.

So combined with agriculture you have here very easy regenerative method for hunger, health, or sanity with Surf & Turf, fish can be preserved for ever in your boat if you remind that, even better than using Bundling Wraps.

We're clearly about to continue this fishing thing that way, I found it more attractive than just building meat farms that just end spoiling all the food you don't need, and please... keep in mind that this is a start to the sea content we're going to have. Maybe you'll have what you're lacking in interest from it in a future update.

1 hour ago, Seero said:

Do you know by chance what quality of life means?

Cool but why? Why do we need this? There's no use for it other then to realize "wow, there's nothing left for me to do" and just quit the game

I would fish but only really later game, just to catch huge fish to be a completionist of sorts.

This still doesn't mean it's worthwhile at all.

Yes see, I was referring to the meaning it has outside of any gaming terms.

I'm mostly being pseudo profound, rather thinking about what it entails to introduce functions beyond what gave the game a rising interest in the first place, than to talk numbers and stats and mechanics.

So, to keep on brand with slovenly philosophy; why do we need it? Well I doubt much consideration was given to this mechanic's introduction. So it's easy to argue we truly don't need it. My point was though that the sheer magnitude to which this mechanic goes, to truly and boldly be unneeded, is thought-provoking to say the least. As mentioned, I find it hilariously symbolic of a state in which there is nothing is left to fight against in the game. Nothing to engage with other than to resort to an arcade-like hi-score system for substitute of entertainment. What a message it is, to tie a bow on the entire experience like this.

Do we need it? Strictly speaking no I guess. But in an unintended way, I see it adds a kind of torn and depressing aspect. An aspect not unlike the thematic lore of Don't Starve. I believe there is potential to fully integrate what this theme have to say into the game, to compliment the experience something immensely. That is, thematically.

But mechanically? Through gameplay? Hard to argue it is anything but useless the way it is implemented. "But that's the point, thematically!". So to say (Again not that I don't doubt there was any conscious consideration made here). I wouldn't mind seeing it expanded upon to a state where at least the action itself, be it a separated aspect from the rest of the experience as it is, is something worth striving for.

In short; useless to the point it's mind boggling, at the very least make it more fun(?) to justify it, Klei. Had it more pizazz; I wouldn't deny that any person will find bragging rights worthwhile.

EDIT: So just to clarify. In my humble opinion. It would be a huge disservice to try and give boat fishing any particularly extraordinary survival benefits, least anything that goes beyond bragging rights and spectacle of course. As long as it sufficiently fulfils that role.

31 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Yeah, it isn't time efficent, like many other things that aren't in the "meta". It's not suppose to be this grandiose thing that shakes the game to it core and forces you to re understand the game, its just fishing.

Maybe, it's because these updates have been a bit lack luster, thankfully, and the point of this thread is to tell klei because we don't know what's going on there, what's going to be added. 

3 minutes ago, ADM said:

please... keep in mind that this is a start to the sea content we're going to have. Maybe you'll have what you're lacking in interest from it in a future update.

I just hope Klei adds what I think does well In the game, the idea of fishing for treasure makes it legitimately exciting, indulging and motivating, we have some pretty nice opportunities here to make the treasure from where we fish GREAT, good for rushing early game stuff for more fun gameplay.

Lots of replies, will reply sometime later or never.

9 minutes ago, Cosheeta said:

Yes see, I was referring to the meaning it has outside of any gaming terms.

I'm mostly being pseudo profound, rather thinking about what it entails to introduce functions beyond what gave the game a rising interest in the first place, than to talk numbers and stats and mechanics.

So, to keep on brand with slovenly philosophy; why do we need it? Well I doubt much consideration was given to this mechanic's introduction. So it's easy to argue we truly don't need it. My point was though that the sheer magnitude to which this mechanic goes, to truly and boldly be unneeded, is thought-provoking to say the least. As mentioned, I find it hilariously symbolic of a state in which there is nothing is left to fight against in the game. Nothing to engage with other than to resort to an arcade-like hi-score system for substitute of entertainment. What a message it is, to tie a bow on the entire experience like this.

Do we need it? Strictly speaking no I guess. But in an unintended way, I see it adds a kind of torn and depressing aspect. An aspect not unlike the thematic lore of Don't Starve. I believe there is potential to fully integrate what this theme have to say into the game, to compliment the experience something immensely. That is, thematically.

But mechanically? Through gameplay? Hard to argue it is anything but useless the way it is implemented. "But that's the point, thematically!". So to say (Again not that I don't doubt there was any conscious consideration made here). I wouldn't mind seeing it expanded upon to a state where at least the action itself, be it a separated aspect from the rest of the experience as it is, is something worth striving for.

In short; useless to the point it's mind boggling, at the very least make it more fun(?) to justify it, Klei. Had it more pizazz; I wouldn't deny that any person will find bragging rights worthwhile.

I don't think this philosophy is necessary. I'm not advocating removal I just want it to be that much more interesting. Advocating removal would just make my problem I have here worse.

1 minute ago, Seero said:

I don't think this philosophy is necessary. I'm not advocating removal I just want it to be that much more interesting. Advocating removal would just make my problem I have here worse.

Hahahah, well, don't misunderstand me, I understand we're not advocating for removal by questioning it's uses. The discussion I provide is just to highlight various reasons it can be interpreted beyond worthless. Because I do believe in the potential of embracing worthlessness, in rare circumstances.

It's not worth it in its current state. New types of fish don't really provide anything that can't be achieved via other means, including pond fishing. Fishing rod itself has infinite durability but it needs edible bait and float that can be lost if you misclick. Sea fishing fell victim to the same problem last reworks and updates faced - overcomplicated design. Too much hassle for little outcome.

7 hours ago, Ezaroth said:

It's food for when you're sailing, since you know, the upcoming contents are in the sea/lunar island.

I actually agree, alot of people are complaining about sea fishing being a useful mechanic to the game but other then monster meat from cookie cutters and the meat from malbatros theres not even a way to actually keep from starving out there. Sure theres probably not alot of fish out there but if a player is desperate enough they can stay out onto the ocean for a pretty good while! Especially since kelp can now be a ingredient in a crockpot and you can make alot of ingredients out there.

Archived