Is fishing even worth your time?

11 hours ago, Superwolfkid said:

I actually agree, alot of people are complaining about sea fishing being a useful mechanic to the game but other then monster meat from cookie cutters and the meat from malbatros theres not even a way to actually keep from starving out there. Sure theres probably not alot of fish out there but if a player is desperate enough they can stay out onto the ocean for a pretty good while! Especially since kelp can now be a ingredient in a crockpot and you can make alot of ingredients out there.

When the Turn of Tides first came out I survived with two other people entirely on Puffins through boomerangs.

We did take ocassional stops on the mainland (to prepare for winter), but once Winter hit we were practically entirely boat-bound.

17 hours ago, Butt Pillow said:

I would prefer if they changed it so fish stacked in 3's. Not a whole lot, but enough to really allow us more leeway in terms of fish farming. It is incredibly tedious and frustrating otherwise. And not in a rewarding way either.

I don't really get why you'd have to keep your fish alive while you're farming them. If you're going for food, why not just kill them to keep space efficient? I get that you'd not be able to restock their freshness, but it'd be easy enough to get back to base before three days are up.

Consoles don’t have the Hook Line and Inker update yet so I don’t have any idea if fishing is worth my time.

However I can provide a totally random Spitball Idea, What if they added a Fisher Merm shack- A Square shaped (Shop-Like) building owned by An Elderly Merm who doesn’t immediately punch you in the face when you step foot on his property..

Erm Anyway, The Fisher Merm will be Similar to trading with the Pig King, the better the fish you bring him the better rewards he gives you in return.

Can give fish to obtain tackles, baits, cosmetic clothing from him etc.

its JUST a Random Idea, as I said- We Don’t actually have the content on Consoles yet, so I can’t provide anything further then this Random suggestion.

On ‎2019‎년 ‎11‎월 ‎29‎일 at 9:03 AM, Seero said:

Pierogi and 2 blue caps work, plus eels and maybe freshwater fish work too? the ocean isn't needed.

It could be fun people but really, it's not worth it, That's the point of this thread

This adds nothing worthwhile, and really you can say that for the entierty of RoT except for stone fruit bushes.

The point of posting also, is to post something that adds a little more then a small image or 2 words. Thank you.

it isn't pierogi and 2 blue caps it heals 60 health same as waffle and gives 33 sanities the fish stick is the same heal as pierogi and 2 blue caps. it has more priority than monster lasagna so we can make it like 2 monster meat, large and small fish meat. and it is meat so Wig can eat it. it is the most powerful food in the shipwreck. if we don't count coffee and it is now in DST.

it requires 1.5 fishes and 2.5 meat. in the shipwreck, small fish meat doesn't have any meat value so we can't make surf & turf with only small fish. but in DST, small fish has 0.5 meat value so we still can make surf&turf with freshwater fish.

but freshwater fish can't go inside fish can but ocean fish can. fish can does not only keep the freshness of ocean fish but restore the freshness of it. yes, we have bundling warp but bundling warp cost one rope each time, hard to recognize and most importantly, it doesn't restore freshness. also, the ocean doesn't freeze in winter so we can get as much as fish as we want in winter.

but catching vegetable fishes are just for pure fun. it cost berries or seeds each time, it doesn't have any fish or meat value.

4 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

They're all from birds... two of those birds just happen to be the moose and malbatross :p 

Rather Unfortunate, because whenever I’m playing alone I turn off those annoying bosses designed for 6 players to tackle together. 

Even my AoE Abigail and Kiting a wave hellhounds or massive horde of Frog Rain into them don’t take care of their ridiculous amounts of health points.

28 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Rather Unfortunate, because whenever I’m playing alone I turn off those annoying bosses designed for 6 players to tackle together. 

Even my AoE Abigail and Kiting a wave hellhounds or massive horde of Frog Rain into them don’t take care of their ridiculous amounts of health points.

Actually you can kill M/Goose solo with simple armor and a hambat if you know basic kiting. She ain't designed for 6 players.

On 12/1/2019 at 12:51 PM, Mike23Ua said:

annoying bosses designed for 6 players to tackle together

Moose/Goose and Malbatross are the 2 easiest bosses in the game, In my opinion, me thinks.
Both require about a few bits of armor and a Bat of the Ham variety is all.
I keep accidentally killing my Malbababies...

1 hour ago, NormalPinkerton said:

Good luck with bearger then, you gonna need it

Not really, I’ll just craft a bunch of Gunpowder’s, set a bunch of them down in a large area & place wood planks nearby for quick igniting using a torch, By the time the fire actually ignites the Explosive charges I’ll be completely out of harms way.

if I’ve got 26-36 achievements in this game and have a world where I’ve lived over 70+ days it’s pretty safe to assume I’m not a Complete noob.

I just as I said- DON’T look up major gameplay spoilers online that would potentially kill all the fun I have with the game, I would quite literally be bored out of my mind if I knew exactly where everything spawns and what Biome to go to fetch it.. I bought the game to play in randomly generated worlds & learn through trail and error.

its part of the “No tutorials, No hand holding.” Part in the games Description, so it honestly really angers me when I’m laughed at for not knowing every single food recipe in the game.. I’m not supposed to know them! 

I never got to play the Gorge or the Forge Events they simply weren’t on Xbox long enough for anyone to really experience them.

But from what information I can gather on these events- The Forge was some sort of Battle Arena with unique Enemy types that I totally missed out on and The Gorge is some sort of Food Frenzy Feeding Mini-Game in the style of Overcooked. Right?

https://www.giantbomb.com/overcooked/3030-53284/

Just now, NormalPinkerton said:

Good for you, I have question though, why use wood planks, does it make that much difference than using logs?

They take longer to burn, for quick burning I don’t even use logs, I use the pine cones/ Newly planted trees 

Honestly the only boss that’s ever given me a problem on this game so far has been the Deerclops, Firefly minds it’s own business in its own little area so I don’t bother to attack it, the Bearger roams around wrecking stuff for a bit before going to sleep, not much of a threat... the Moose/Goose doesn’t leave its Egg/Babies far so it’s not a “Must Be Dealt with issue”

Spider Queens rarely ever spawn out of a Tier 3 Spider Nest..

and Bee Queen only spawns if you go out of your way to summon it.

But for the record- I never EVER build MASSIVE Mega Bases... instead I build a whole bunch of Tiny Bases that have the bare essentials in survival all over everywhere on the map, (campfire, Endo Fire, Cookpot, Science Machine & Maybe a small farm plot and the Occasional Tent/Seista-Lean-To)

You Don’t really Need to have A Alchemy Engine or a Prestihatinator after you’ve already crafted them once and learned all their available recipes. But you still need a Science Machine for opening earned curio rewards.

Massive Mega Bases only tend to result in players wanting to grief them, however I’ve noticed they tend not to bother with tiny bases that look like they have just started.

It May also be that because I only ever build small bases that I never have an issue with the bosses wanting to come wreck all my stuff. 

Not everyone plays this game the same way as others and that’s what I love about it!

most players default to building a Mining Hat For night time adventures and never having to worry about dying at night ever again.. I prefer the challenge of having to throw a Lantern on the ground and pump it full of glow bulbs to free my hand slot for combat, But that’s just me and how I like to play the game.

And until Xbox gets the Hook, Line and Inker Update.. the only fishing I’ll be able to do is small pond fishing.

I just hope that Fishing becomes similar to Red Dead Online fishing- Instead of Simply mashing A to pull fish from the water.. have them struggle on the line and you’ll have to reel them in PLEASE! <3

And this may just be me and a personal thing- But I feel it’s a tad bit too easy to acquire a Hammer in this game, players can cheat at building an Alchemy engine by hammering Down a few Pig Houses.. so yeah maybe make the hammer something you can only build from the Alchemy Tier first? Just a suggestion.

Fishing just feels lackluster for the same reason that some other things in the game do. There are a few mechanics/items that are so strong that they crowd out all the rest.
You could simplify Fishing to put it on par with other food options, but...then it wouldn't be interesting.
You could add a few seconds of thought/effort to the overturned mechanics or try to rebalance the game's various items to create a situation where new content can be both interesting and useful, but...well, then people would be screaming bloody murder. Tis how those sorts of suggestions tend to go after a few posts when they're presented seriously.

Feels like Klei really backed itself into a corner with the 'add things on top and change as little as possible' route.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

if I’ve got 26-36 achievements in this game and have a world where I’ve lived over 70+ days it’s pretty safe to assume I’m not a Complete noob.

I just as I said- DON’T look up major gameplay spoilers online that would potentially kill all the fun I have with the game, I would quite literally be bored out of my mind if I knew exactly where everything spawns and what Biome to go to fetch it.. I bought the game to play in randomly generated worlds & learn through trail and error.

its part of the “No tutorials, No hand holding.” Part in the games Description, so it honestly really angers me when I’m laughed at for not knowing every single food recipe in the game.. I’m not supposed to know them! 

Achievements aren't at all a good way of measuring skill in DST. The game only has achievements on the console versions because said consoles require games to have achievements, and some are as simple as:
- build a science machine
- build an alchemy engine
- join a world
- use a wormhole
- trade one (1) item to the pig king
- plant one (1) butterfly
- befriend some pigmen
- survive 20 days
- enter a cave
- witness an earthquake, which you will probably get 2 minutes after the last achievement
- use any skin
- use the trade-inn
- use an emote
With a lot of the achievements being that easy, it doesn't really mean much.

Anyway, the problem isn't that you don't have a lot of knowledge on the game, it's that you confidently discuss mechanics you don't understand while repeatedly showing how proud you are of not being knowledgeable on said mechanics. It really is 100% fine to learn the game through trial and error, but the problem is when you keep doing that while discussing the game online and making sure everyone who interacts with you knows just how much better your gameplay is because of your lack of knowledge. If you're having fun, that's great! No one is having an issue with you enjoying yourself, it's simply the way that you interact on these forums.

I kinda want the ability to add fish and fish meat as lures; with smaller fish being able to attract larger ones (small to medium, medium to large, etc). I believe that in doing so, different types of players will be able to both thoroughly enjoy their fishing recreational activity AND make a great cut for a hard day's fishing if they wanted to go that route of labor. Imagine being able to catch a "Large Fish" worth 5-6 Raw Fish Meat using "only" Medium Fish that weigh above a certain threshold as a lure (would give some added technical use to the pocket scale outside of recreational measuring); the larger fish would be much more difficult to fish for, with the risk of losing a Medium Fish for player failure. In my opinion, a mechanic like this would inspire people to fish both as a recreational activity and for the added benefit of being able to (possibly) make out a weeks worth of meat if done right.

Archived