Gatherer Character

1 hour ago, lbphero said:

PLEASE LET ME REFUEL THE LAZY FORAGER PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS RUINS I JUST NEED THAT SO MUCH

You beat me to saying this, aaa.

It honestly doesn't make sense why the magil is the *only* magic item that can be refueled. Imagine how much more fun you could have with other magic/ancient items if they didn't break after using them.

Probably a small detail, but if we get a gatherer character or refuelable lazy forager, the automatic gathering should be made in such a way so that its compatible with manual pickup. Currently, if you use the lazy forager, you kinda have to stand there and let it do the collecting for you. If you tried to pick items yourself with it equipped, you’ll attempt to pick up the item that the forager has already picked up, resulting in “I can’t do that.” many times.

23 hours ago, reverentsatyr said:

So, there's one more new character that's coming to DST, right? Well, whenever I try to think of a new character, I can never think of what his/her specialty would be. Every in-game mechanic I thought of was either already covered by a current character, or just not important enough to want a character that specializes in that mechanic.

But just now, I was reminded of the most tedious in-game mechanic: Gathering. I absolutely hate it. It takes forever and can require many trips between your base and the resources. Tons of resources can be mined, chopped, or killed within seconds, but there's very little solutions to the problem of gathering all those resources.

Do you guys want to see a character that will solve the tedious problem of gathering? Maybe this character can make a cheap (and faster) item somewhat similar to the lazy forager, that only he/she can use. Or maybe it can be something as simple as picking up items off the ground two or three times faster than regular.

What do you guys think?

Fantastic idea!

10 hours ago, Bluegeist said:

WX-78 canonically uses singular they pronouns as well as the gender neutral title Mx. Read the character interactions and flavor text referring to them. The use of singular they pronouns for WX-78 would thus be unavoidable, and the use of "It" pronouns would not be accurate to the character.

If I remember correctly doesn't WX-78 identify as a male? So therefore we shouldn't we call him a "he"? Also:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160103045029

12 minutes ago, NormalPinkerton said:

If I remember correctly doesn't WX-78 identify as a male? So therefore we shouldn't we call him a "he"? Also:

Hide contents

latest?cb=20160103045029

Gonna post the quotes again:

DEATH_ANNOUNCEMENT_2_ROBOT = ". They became a spooky ghost!"
GHOST_DEATH_ANNOUNCEMENT_ROBOT = "lost all of their humanity and is gone forever."
ROBOT =
        {
            ONE = "they",
            TWO = "their",
-- Character quotes for WX-78:
-- Warly
GHOST = "Excusez-moi? How is it possible they have a ghost?" 
FIRESTARTER = "They overheated, perhaps?"
-- Maxwell (note the use of Mx.)
GENERIC = "Greetings, Mx. %s."
FIRESTARTER = "Mx. %s is making good on their promises of mayhem."
--  Webber
FIRESTARTER = "Maybe they didn't know fire is dangerous to us."
-- Winona
ATTACKER = "Yeesh. They're on the fritz again."

9 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

[S.N.I.P]

Yes, but WX-78 refers to himself as a male, I know that the characters use gender neutral terms to refer to him, that's not my point, my point is that he identifies as male so referring to him as a ''he" is a viable option.

Anyways, let's get back on topic now.

1 minute ago, NormalPinkerton said:

Yes, but WX-78 refers to himself as a male, I know that the characters use gender neutral terms to refer to him, that's not my point, my point is that he identifies as male so referring to him as a ''he" is a viable option.

Well, the game has three genders. WX is not under male, they are under robot. So they are not male, and not female, basically non-binary. Also, the robot gender is programmed to use singular they pronouns, so he/him pronouns are inaccurate. They present themselves in a masculine way, but that doesn't mean they are a man.

18 minutes ago, NormalPinkerton said:

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20160103045029

That makes me remember the original was changed by some weird reason during these last years:

Spoiler

changed.png.3f76965133c996cc7d95e29f6f3872cb.png

22 hours ago, Kenjin said:

See, that's my problem. In a forum about a video game, you're still pushing your political agenda. And denying that.

With this argument, I can say that literally any disagreeable topic in the game - let alone any issue at all - is political and should be avoided like the plague.

Hey guys, let's not talk about WX's gender because gender is a sensitive topic that can offend many despite the fact that sociology is a thing. Hey guys, let's not talk about Wickerbottom's potential romance with Maxwell because a heterosexual relationship could offend the LGBTQ portion of the playerbase. Hey guys, let's not talk about beefalo at all because they're asexual. Hey guys, let's not talk about Wilba because she's part of a monarchy.

See how I can spin literally anything in this game as a "political agenda" just like how you're spinning someone's discussion of WX's gender identity? No matter how political, any relevant topic that consists of a genuine question should be open for discussion. The only thing that should be punished are the people in that discussion who cross the line into destructive criticism.

There's a huge difference between "Here's why I think Jesus Christ and God exist" and "F*ck you atheists and all the other religions", and to put it in the context of this specific situation, there's likewise a huge difference between "WX is non-binary; here's some evidence" and "WX is non-binary, you silly little incel". The latter should be banned on the spot while the former should be open for discussion.

>come on dont starve general discussion

>expect to see discussion related to game

>finds “you misgendered robot man now i preach you my beliefs on gender poltics!” in thread for gatherer character which unreleated to anything about dont starve or the topic

>lmao

its not  winter yet and already sky flows with snowflakes! Thank you santa claus!

20 hours ago, NormalPinkerton said:

I'm not saying he's a man I'm saying he identifies as male.

Both of those mean the same thing, though. If you identify as male, you're male, it's that simple. You also haven't provided any evidence that WX-78 identifies as male, and there's a ton of instances of WX being referred to with gender neutral pronouns in-game.

26 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

>expect to see discussion related to game

>finds “you misgendered robot man now i preach you my beliefs on gender poltics!” in thread for gatherer character which unreleated to anything about dont starve or the topic

The discussion of a game character's gender identity is inherently related to that game, especially when it's as simple as "this character who uses they/them pronouns, does in fact use they/them pronouns."

36 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

{snip}

Well the thing is, it's not WX-78 referring to WX-78, the characters do not know his pronouns they just use "they" because it's the technically correct version, since he does not have a biological gender. WX-78 never actually refers to himself as "they", but he does call himself brother when he finds himself in the nightmare throne if I so remember, but if they changed it, he still leans on the male side so thinking he's a male, is in fact a logical conclusion.

Now can we make another thread to discuss their gender instead of derailing this one?

Here's a bright idea: how about less "muh pronouns" and what a fictional character may or may not pack between their legs and more about actual concepts of new characters - you know, what was the purpose of topic at hand?! Because let's be frank here, how may players care about "twitteraty stuff" vs actual game-play, game mechanics and the like.

In the main train of thoughts on the actual thread's subject, aka a 4th last new character, as I've read in previous topics some players don't consider even Wurt or Wortox as having "a fundamentally different game-play style", how about we get a glimpse at the old unimplemented concept-character of Wilton and a theoretical no-food/no-eating aspect (being a literal "bag of bones") for example, namely a character that cannot eat and subsequently cannot heal at all (no salves & co) - aside maybe "repairing" via bone/teeth fragments - would fair. Also not necessarily Wilton per se, still something akin to such a fundamentally different take on the basic 3 stats - at least would be an interesting take and make for a good discussion.

You are funny you make me laugh good! I dont care you want make hilarious topic about robot is “gender” like special person but this topic is not for that its for talking about gatherer character. Is robot man’s gender a gatherer character? No. Make your own silly topics i will not click on then! Which for real your silly topic belong in reesetera ;)

As for gatherer character i would like a bunnyman who can move faster and collect items faster and starts in caves in bunny village i think it would be good dlc character

34 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Both of those mean the same thing, though. If you identify as male, you're male, it's that simple. You also haven't provided any evidence that WX-78 identifies as male, and there's a ton of instances of WX being referred to with gender neutral pronouns in-game.

The discussion of a game character's gender identity is inherently related to that game, especially when it's as simple as "this character who uses they/them pronouns, does in fact use they/them pronouns."

image.thumb.png.826d50d486951c75e6f7bd9c80b3ce2f.png

image.thumb.png.297ac8793117b86625864ff9add1ef65.png

WX occasionally refers to itself using masculine pronouns, meaning that it isn't incorrect to do so.

Also, it's a fictional robot.

/convo

Now on topic, Waverly could fill a role of gatherer or something like that, she could have spells to do that, like a tornado that collects things and returns them into her inventory.

Maybe Maxwell could make a shadow chest and shadow collectors that teleport the items they pick up into the chest, I don't know.

22 minutes ago, Handsome_Jack said:

As for gatherer character i would like a bunnyman who can move faster and collect items faster and starts in caves in bunny village i think it would be good dlc character

That be really simple and also fits in "quick furry collector character" really well, too well. Also the spawn thing would probably be bad because the spawn portal is there for a reason, I don't know which reasons, but they were probably good ones.

Archived