Checkpoint for supply

I am quite sick of my dupes carrying slime or bleach stone from one end of my base to supply a hand sanitizer or algae distiller, only to have them drop it halfway.

I added storage on beside these structures with their own supply. Why do the dupes supply one a hundred of tiles away?

It will be great if checkpoints can be added to limit certain supply from passing through

Use sweepers and shipping rails.

If they are dropping things halfway, its either due to your corridors not having enough oxygen, or they are too long and traversal gets interrupted by schedule.

Try to build tubes around?

Also keeping overy storage a single resource type helps me; i dinno why

1 hour ago, hedition said:

The problem isn't with helping them facilitate their supplying of a distant station, but PREVENT them. Stop them from carry a certain resource past a certain point.

Without a mod that probably doesn't exist, the only thing that you can do is build a conveyor system and lock your dupes out of the rooms. 

8 hours ago, silverbluep said:

Try to build tubes around?

Currently my dupes have broken vacuum rooms by carrying off-gas materials through the tubes.  Slime carried by a dupe through a tube will off-gas if the check happens while in a vacuum room.

5 hours ago, hedition said:

The problem isn't with helping them facilitate their supplying of a distant station, but PREVENT them. Stop them from carry a certain resource past a certain point.

The only way to do this is in the case of a material harboring germs.  

10 hours ago, hedition said:

It will be great if checkpoints can be added to limit certain supply from passing through

Yes, it would be.

I had never even clicked on the thing before your post, I see now they require power and generate heat. I don't get what they do better than a door would. In fact they seem worse in every regards... :(

1 hour ago, Yank31 said:

I don't get what they do better than a door would.

A checkpoint halts dupe movement without breaking their pathing.  Thus a dupe will stop in front of a checkpoint and wait for it to turn green, but won't switch tasks or drop their load.  A locked door will prevent pathing.

2 minutes ago, Yank31 said:

Btw, I was curious about your gem harboring material stopper, could you elaborate?

There is a "Germ Sensor" in the automation tab.  It detects germs within a range.  You can set a threshold for the amount of germs.  So, you can use it to close doors or whatever to prevent dupes from going beyond that point.

image.png.10472082c9aa48aed63fd50641641cae.png

44 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

There is a "Germ Sensor" in the automation tab.  It detects germs within a range.  You can set a threshold for the amount of germs.  So, you can use it to close doors or whatever to prevent dupes from going beyond that point.

image.png.10472082c9aa48aed63fd50641641cae.png

Oh, yeah. I always thought this was a pipe sensor for some reason. Never felt I had to use it either. :(

But yeah, makes sense, thanks!

I just want a mod that I can check a box like conveyor loaders to prevent manual use on normal storage.  That would solve SOOOO much frustration.  Would fix the emitting ores, and for some reason for me, SAND!  Sand everywhere, SAND, SAND, SAND!!!  I have sweepers everywhere with storage with sand, but I still see sand dropped everywhere.  Makes me want to punch my monitor...

3 hours ago, Xaekai said:

Yeah, dupe sees task, dupe checks for the closest materials for that task nearest to them and not nearest to the destination. I don't understand why Klei thought this was a good idea.

A...D........................Z..................B

D = dupe, Z = supply destination; A, B = materials

It's not a trivial problem to solve. Either rule (get materials closest to me/closest to destination) can result in absurd-looking behavior.

The "nearest to destination" rule would have the advantage of being easier to build around predictably, though. You can't really control where a dupe starts an errand from, but you can store materials near the places they'll be needed. It's the rule I would choose, if I could.

As to why it is the way it is - maybe Klei found in testing that it wasn't a big difference, or maybe it was easier to implement as "nearest to me" for some reason. Or maybe it was something they slapped into place without thinking through all the implications, meaning it wound up this way essentially by chance, which is something that happens often enough in software development.

Yea, dupes really seem to be stupid about deciding where to get and put things.  Whenever I'm excavating a new area, I always start by building storage right there, but most of the time the little idiots pick up the rocks and run right past the new storage to go all the way back to the cans next to the printing pod and drop them off there instead.

1 minute ago, psusi said:

Yea, dupes really seem to be stupid about deciding where to get and put things.  Whenever I'm excavating a new area, I always start by building storage right there, but most of the time the little idiots pick up the rocks and run right past the new storage to go all the way back to the cans next to the printing pod and drop them off there instead.

It is annoying, agreed. But as has been discussed in detail numerous times, while ONI looks simple, the calculations running behind the scenes are astonishingly complex and getting this to work at all at a reasonable speed requires trade-offs. This is one of them.

28 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

It is annoying, agreed. But as has been discussed in detail numerous times, while ONI looks simple, the calculations running behind the scenes are astonishingly complex and getting this to work at all at a reasonable speed requires trade-offs. This is one of them.

How so?

Hrm... I wonder if what is happening is that they are sitting around the printing pod when they decide to go do the sweep errand, and rather than look for a nearby storage once they pick up the goods, they look for the storage first ,and choose the one closest to them and decide to march all the way out to BFE, pick up the stuff, then march all the way back to where they started to drop it off?

I thought that if I gave them a move order to go near the dig site first, then once there they would find the close storage and decide to go pick up the debris and put it there.  At first I thought it was working, but then they started going all the way back to the printing pod again.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:24 AM, Supraluminal said:

A...D........................Z..................B

D = dupe, Z = supply destination; A, B = materials

It's not a trivial problem to solve. Either rule (get materials closest to me/closest to destination) can result in absurd-looking behavior.

But in cases of
A.........D.........................................................................................................ZB

It absurd not to check at least a few tiles around the destination first. The game already checks for the existence of rooms. So if the destination is a room of say 200 tiles or less, it should check that entire room for the needed materials, path checking as if the dupe was already standing at the destination. Barring that, it should check in the same manner, but in a path limited to 20 cells or so

I've mentioned my idea a few times, I propos a Smart Checkpoint, of sorts. This gate, or dock, would perform a TSA style pat down on each passing dupe, looking for banned items. If the banned item is found, a sweeper would suck it off the dupe and wag a finger at them giving a 'shame' debuff.  If they pass the checkpoint it slaps them on the behind, moving them along, gives them a thumbs up and a 'recently patted down' buff.  

But seriously it could just be a gate that you select the items that are allowed to pass through.  If checked, allow pathing,   else, no pathing.  

I don't know, just a thought.  

Archived