Don't Starve Is Dead.

"Don't Starve is dead. Klei did it."
-Wilnietzsche

-Characters are bad and there is no reason to play DS anymore.
-Hamlet was an empty "house buying" simulator update.
-Players starts to give up hopes from the Don't starve and with the last updates mod community has died.
-The great mods like "Hero In The Dark", "Emerald", "Creeps In The Deeps", "Up and Away", "Tiny Alchemy Powers" just corrupted bc of last updates. The new codes are not mod friendly and there is no any update to give a reason modmaker for making mods.

I just wonder, will Klei watch the dying of their game?
Please say "Yes" or "No" so I can remove or keep the game.

Here modmakers. They give up from game because this game have not a future. I remember the modpage was so active when Shipwrecked and hamlet updates shows up...

image.png.ececafe582e809b31cbff9f3714e2c20.png

image.png.6ba25f1b242f0128c4d1b0c2a122e340.png

image.png.4ad0b58da994002ceec0523db609d95c.png

image.png.c4ec12ae90398cc4020252dde96c770d.png

image.png.6a29fd269bc13a40b68e8ce09aa19bd6.png

Would happen sooner or later. I mean. We can't expect Klei to work on this game forever. we've had 3 DLCs in total that completely overhauls the game. its outdated, its old, especially when you look at the sequel DST compared. Plus, its almost a decade old. it started in 2012. I bet the coding is even a mess after all of these years.

Since DST also exists they don't have the time to work on both games. And clearly since DST makes more money, has more players they have bigger plans for that than DS.

So if DS dies. then so be it. It has had its run. They can always fix it in the future if they choose to. But to me i think its time to move on for now.

1 hour ago, bugsmand said:

Would happen sooner or later. I mean. We can't expect Klei to work on this game forever. we've had 3 DLCs in total that completely overhauls the game. its outdated, its old, especially when you look at the sequel DST compared. Plus, its almost a decade old. it started in 2012. I bet the coding is even a mess after all of these years.

Since DST also exists they don't have the time to work on both games. And clearly since DST makes more money, has more players they have bigger plans for that than DS.

So if DS dies. then so be it. It has had its run. They can always fix it in the future if they choose to. But to me i think its time to move on for now.

I'm not a sick man which say "YOU SHOULD UPDATE" but I just want a thing from Klei. They should add a game mode which turn "don't starve together" to "don't starve alone"... I'm using a mod to health halver for monster and lag fixer but the ping, lag and fighting mechanics is still big problem. I have lag even offline and it's make everything hard. If klei share a mod that let us playing alone without lag, I can pay double more from original game...

I feel like DS and DST serve their own purposes. Don’t Starve is meant to be a single player experience, and the challenge in that game is based around the difficulty for a single person. And with the reign of multiplayer games taking over, this, of course, includes proving inferiority of the single player genre. With DS being a fun enough game as it is, it’s even better to experience with friends, but it is NOT the ideal game for a solo player only. The kind of people who like to play alone, such as myself, will keep DS alive. Sure, the devs feel otherwise most likely, but the game is still there for people to enjoy.

3 hours ago, PunkBuster327 said:

I feel like DS and DST serve their own purposes. Don’t Starve is meant to be a single player experience, and the challenge in that game is based around the difficulty for a single person. And with the reign of multiplayer games taking over, this, of course, includes proving inferiority of the single player genre. With DS being a fun enough game as it is, it’s even better to experience with friends, but it is NOT the ideal game for a solo player only. The kind of people who like to play alone, such as myself, will keep DS alive. Sure, the devs feel otherwise most likely, but the game is still there for people to enjoy.

Bruh, I think they should add alone mod to dst for all ds owner as an apologize...

8 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Bruh, I think they should add alone mod to dst for all ds owner as an apologize...

What is there to apologize for? The game had a good enough run as it is. It even had a few cosmetic items featured in TF2 during the beginning of its time. The game was nicely designed to be a good time killer for those who crave a survival experience with the ability to set their priorities freely as well, and you can develop your own ways to play the game that it can be fun doing so. Don’t Starve is a great game and nothing will change that, not even the discontinuation of development on it.

8 minutes ago, PunkBuster327 said:

What is there to apologize for? The game had a good enough run as it is. It even had a few cosmetic items featured in TF2 during the beginning of its time. The game was nicely designed to be a good time killer for those who crave a survival experience with the ability to set their priorities freely as well, and you can develop your own ways to play the game that it can be fun doing so. Don’t Starve is a great game and nothing will change that, not even the discontinuation of development on it.

It's my opinion and I think the hamlet was a money trap. I'm sad about few mony I paid them but the thing they did was so bad. I never expected this thing from this company

On 10/12/2019 at 1:53 PM, Slagger said:

It's my opinion and I think the hamlet was a money trap.

Seems a bit odd to say considering they gave thousands of copies Hamlet away for free to all beta testers. The game is now 8 years old, it's a shock they even developed a 3rd DLC for a game this old when DST is the more modern version of the engine with more players and clearly makes money than DS. If money was purely the goal, no resources would have ever been put into DS post-Shipwrecked, because they can make more money off skins and new characters with less development cost.

Could Hamlet have been better? Yeah, probably. Development appeared to have gotten rough at the end. I would love post-release content update similar to what they did with Shipwrecked (which was 100 times worse than Hamlet at release, may I remind you. Bugs everywhere, clearly missing features, etc. Much worse than Hamlet is right now.)

If this is end of Singleplayer support, I'd say the game got a happy ending with Hamlet completely changing the game across all 3 DLC's, especially for end-game mega basing which Hamlet expands upon.

What characters specifically? Most of them are still really good since they weren't dumbed down for multiplayer, or made completely dependent on the presence of other players.

Saying there is no reason to play DS anymore is a bit of stretch when it's still greatly different from DST and appeals to solo players. The original uncompromising game design got completely thrown out the window in DST with ghosts and server rollbacks, it's missing 2 entire worlds of content along with the characters associated with them (DST doesn't even have Wagstaff still, despite the fact he is a base game character), and actually offers less content to a player who prefers solo play. So there's definitely reasons, it mostly just comes down to whether or not you want to play alone. 

On 10/12/2019 at 3:09 AM, Slagger said:

The only characters I would call truly bad in DS are Warly and Woodie, because of the picky eating and forced transformations respectively. The rest of the characters are just fine, most of them can be played for aesthetics without much change and the others fill specific niches.

There's no reason to play DS anymore? What about the two exclusive DLC worlds which add so much endgame potential through world merging? I don't see how you can call Hamlet an "empty 'house buying' simulator update", whenever it really does add so much to the game.
- Slanty Shanties let you have a storage room with potentially thousands of chests that only take up one tiny area on your map, or you can use them to store mobs or make farms inside, or you can stay inside to farm dry season eruptions with no risk, etc etc. If you just see them as houses, then you haven't explored their potential enough.
- Nettles are a mass-farmable food that never spoils.
- Thunderbirds allow WX-78 to obtain large amounts of charge without requiring exploits or thulecite.
- Every Hamlet turf is beautiful and most can be taken to other worlds for decor (or anti-flooding, if you're into that.)
- Magic Flowers function like effigies that you can move freely and get more just from fighting an easy boss (or blasting him 4 times with a boat cannon)
- Lamp posts can be built anywhere for infinite light during the endgame.
- Speaking of building anywhere, Hamlet added merged crafting! Any recipe can be crafted in any world as long as you've learned it before. That's HUGE.
- Shops allow you to exchange basic items like hounds teeth and silk for cutlasses, night armor, deerclops eyeballs, berry bushes, and so much more.
- Three new tree types, which all have their own uses.
That's not counting all the stuff that's unique to Hamlet itself, like temples, dung beetles,the ancient hulk or the BFB and its incredible taxi stomach, or etc.

About the thread title, no Don't Starve isn't "dead". It's just finished. It's a finished game with 3 worlds to explore, and thousands of hours of gameplay. Once again, this is a problem with indie game culture. An indie game is expected to be cheap, provide thousands of hours of gameplay, and get constant updates. Don't Starve only checks 2/3 of those boxes and so people like to act like Klei is evil and has killed their videogame.

On ‎2019‎-‎10‎-‎12 at 10:09 AM, Slagger said:

Don't Starve is dead

5da6145141d5b_Screenshot(8).png.bc8d5682ec6648b4c7522c861e9735dc.png

Characters are bad and there is no reason to play DS anymore.

Kinda true, walani still very luckluster  while warly still very bad

Players starts to give up hopes from the Don't starve and with the last updates mod community has died.

They said that they completed the DLC, and DS development cost them money not to mention there is no skin so they only get money to support the game is from the DLC.

The great mods like "Hero In The Dark", "Emerald", "Creeps In The Deeps", "Up and Away", "Tiny Alchemy Powers" just corrupted bc of last updates. The new codes are not mod friendly and there is no any update to give a reason modmaker for making mods.

Not klei problem, they can't avoid breaking EVERY single mod while updating the game, the mod authors who are responsible.

-----------------------------------

The only thing that DS need is minor update, workshop exist and there are mods that can extended and add content in the game for you.

But I don't really mind if there is some character refresh for luckster character in the game.

13 hours ago, Rosten said:

Why do people think Warly is bad? I don't have Shipwrecked, but looking at his biz it doesn't much look like a big problem.

Warly's picky eating downside means he can't take advantage of some of the most convenient foods, like honey or jerky or jellyfish, and can barely use healing food. The problem with Warly isn't just his downsides, though, it's his lack of upsides. Warly's one meaningful upside is just the ability to cook fresh fruit crepes. The portable crock pot itself isn't very useful in DS and especially not in SW where food is thrown at you constantly, and the chef pouch is just a buffed insulated pack which also won't be very useful outside of the temporary convenience of starting the game with a backpack.

A character like Wormwood or Wheeler are fine despite their downsides, because they have huge upsides that make them worth playing and finding workarounds for. Warly has a single crock pot recipe that's useful with specific worldgen, he doesn't have much to make him worth playing.

14 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Warly's picky eating downside means he can't take advantage of some of the most convenient foods, like honey or jerky or jellyfish, and can barely use healing food. The problem with Warly isn't just his downsides, though, it's his lack of upsides. Warly's one meaningful upside is just the ability to cook fresh fruit crepes. The portable crock pot itself isn't very useful in DS and especially not in SW where food is thrown at you constantly, and the chef pouch is just a buffed insulated pack which also won't be very useful outside of the temporary convenience of starting the game with a backpack.

A character like Wormwood or Wheeler are fine despite their downsides, because they have huge upsides that make them worth playing and finding workarounds for. Warly has a single crock pot recipe that's useful with specific worldgen, he doesn't have much to make him worth playing.

Wormwood can't heal from food = don't get hit and farm honey poultice

Warly can't binge = farm crockpot foods 100 hunger or higher

Warly is very effective at mirco-bases, plus it not like he's unable to binge the 3rd repeat is still 10% higher than Wilson

16 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

Wormwood can't heal from food = don't get hit and farm honey poultice

Warly can't binge = farm crockpot foods 100 hunger or higher

Warly is very effective at mirco-bases, plus it not like he's unable to binge the 3rd repeat is still 10% higher than Wilson

He's unable to binge stuff like honey, since it very quickly goes down to 2 hunger per honey consumed.

There are definitely ways to work around Warly's downsides, but like I said, you don't really get many meaningful upsides for doing so. Wormwood's healing food downside is worth working around because he's able to make living logs on demand for magic crafting, his bramble husk and hay fever-immunity make lush season bearable without much preparation, and he's able to mass-farm crops without the annoyance of actual farm plots. Warly doesn't really have that, he's just got fresh fruit crepes which are nice if you get the butterfly island set piece. The rest of his perks might add a bit of convenience, but not in a way that balances out his downsides imo.

Also I'm not sure what you mean about Warly being effective at "micro-bases", is it just because he's able to place portable crock pots closer together than regular ones?

34 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

He's unable to binge stuff like honey, since it very quickly goes down to 2 hunger per honey consumed.

There are definitely ways to work around Warly's downsides, but like I said, you don't really get many meaningful upsides for doing so. Wormwood's healing food downside is worth working around because he's able to make living logs on demand for magic crafting, his bramble husk and hay fever-immunity make lush season bearable without much preparation, and he's able to mass-farm crops without the annoyance of actual farm plots. Warly doesn't really have that, he's just got fresh fruit crepes which are nice if you get the butterfly island set piece. The rest of his perks might add a bit of convenience, but not in a way that balances out his downsides imo.

Also I'm not sure what you mean about Warly being effective at "micro-bases", is it just because he's able to place portable crock pots closer together than regular ones?

Other then dark swords and bramble traps living logs are kinda meh, by the time Wormwood has easy healing items everyone else have multiple tree guard spawns; Lush season isn't that bad just get nettles or a gas mask, helmet and armor grants bramble immunity (note: not for bramble traps)

By "Micro-bases" I mean Warly can travel to his other campsites or checkpoints without needing to build crockpots or fridges or chests on each of them; The smallest base I made with warly was about 2 tiles and checkpoints was about 1 tile

steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.thumb.jpg.6ed942ed82961d006b25343fdbd5096a.jpg

My opinion ONLY: The game is not dead, the people who don't know how to play or why playing this game... When i join on a server i see people who come to play and until the first winter i am alone. I seartch 3 years for a team to play with and nothing. All join to the server, ask "where is the base" (even from the selection room), comming to the base, fill the bag with a stack of everything and then go. The most of the players on this game don't know how to play winter, Spring or Summer! Join only Autumn make a simple base (waste the resources) and then go... And i don't speak for those who make an open world and when you join kick you immediatly. (Sorry for my English)
PS: If you are tired to play alone and you want some pro on your team just send me inv

4 hours ago, Hinin said:

My opinion ONLY: The game is not dead, the people who don't know how to play or why playing this game... When i join on a server i see people who come to play and until the first winter i am alone. I seartch 3 years for a team to play with and nothing. All join to the server, ask "where is the base" (even from the selection room), comming to the base, fill the bag with a stack of everything and then go. The most of the players on this game don't know how to play winter, Spring or Summer! Join only Autumn make a simple base (waste the resources) and then go... And i don't speak for those who make an open world and when you join kick you immediatly. (Sorry for my English)
PS: If you are tired to play alone and you want some pro on your team just send me inv

This topic is about the original Don't Starve and not Don't Starve Together.

Don't Starve Together is doing fine.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:09 PM, Slagger said:

"Don't Starve is dead. Klei did it."
-Wilnietzsche

I don't agree with this, as I even until now spend more time playing Don' Starve rather than Don' Starve together.. they both appealing in their own way of course.. but I enjoy Don't Starve way more..
I have drowned in it for thousand of hours and there's still no sign that I will stop in doing so..

and I also disagree on;

On 10/12/2019 at 3:09 PM, Slagger said:

it's so much more than that! Hamlet give a diff cycle from the usual Don't Starve tendency that is appearing in both of RoG & Shipwrecked..
which is to prepare to fight bosses; Hamlet is more focus to adapt and survive to the environment, whether and condition instead.. and the economy system in it, is also another appealing side that is not presented in another DLC.. it gives that sliver of civilization in the "lost world"

On 19.11.2019 at 8:39 AM, Naruchii said:

I don't agree with this, as I even until now spend more time playing Don' Starve rather than Don' Starve together.. they both appealing in their own way of course.. but I enjoy Don't Starve way more..
I have drowned in it for thousand of hours and there's still no sign that I will stop in doing so..

I couldnt agree more. People simply dont understand that DS isnt dead but rather finished. Developers shouldnt continue to update a game forever imo. Improve it for so long until it is a good and compact core product that has a good central gameplay loop. One of the big reasons why I dislike DST (especially in later years) compared to DS is because DST has so much unnecessary stuff packed around its core. DS is a game first and an experience second while DST is the reverse imo.

On 19.11.2019 at 8:39 AM, Naruchii said:

and I also disagree on;

it's so much more than that! Hamlet give a diff cycle from the usual Don't Starve tendency that is appearing in both of RoG & Shipwrecked..
which is to prepare to fight bosses; Hamlet is more focus to adapt and survive to the environment, whether and condition instead.. and the economy system in it, is also another appealing side that is not presented in another DLC.. it gives that sliver of civilization in the "lost world"

Hamlets is ...fine. It just lacks the polish a bit compared to its other two DLCs. It is very good for some people and there is nothing wrong with that but that is the main reason that people dislike it a bit.

Obviously this is pretty subjective and I can understand why people like Hamlet but a lot of things in this DLC just made things worse rather than better for me - in contrast to the more classic DS survival aspect. For example I dont like the idea of Oincs at all. One of the basic ideas of DS is that you have to find basic resources to combine to advance and ensure your survial. But Oincs dont do that. They are simply way too versitile and similar to pig towns and houses discourage exploration. Basing in or close to a pig city is very often the right thing to do. I have other nitpicks like the shorter seasons, no mandatory bosses, the gameplay in "rooms" (houses and pig ruins), but I dont want to ramble on more.

I don't think a singleplayer game can be "dead", since the experience is still the same if the last update was 1 day ago or 763 days ago, like can you call Pokemon Red a dead game? No, because it's still the same experience after more than 20 years. The amount of players does not change how the game plays out.

Archived