Where is the water coming from?

When releasing pressure the oil wells heat up from the hot nat gas and boils the water that is sitting inside, releasing steam to the environment.

Placing some tempshift plates behind the oil wells to absorb that heat during pressure release does the trick.

49 minutes ago, WeSaidMeh said:

When releasing pressure the oil wells heat up from the hot nat gas and boils the water that is sitting inside, releasing steam to the environment.

Placing some tempshift plates behind the oil wells to absorb that heat during pressure release does the trick.

okay i'll try this and see if it helps.

I see absolutely no reason to put oil wells in such a closed off space to start with. I always just leave mine in a big pit to fill up with oil and automate to make sure it stops at a certain level.

There is no reason to try and tame an oil well in a small space. It works easy and best to let the oil flow and gases gradually flow up into a refining chamber in another biome. All I build in the hot oil biome is wells and pumps and a teensy bit of automation.  

What are you going to use the rest of the oil biome anyway? :p Single point in and out of it is perfect. I also started with trying something fancier, but it's just pointless.

1 hour ago, Archetype said:

What are you going to use the rest of the oil biome anyway? :p Single point in and out of it is perfect. I also started with trying something fancier, but it's just pointless.

You'll notice the blob of Algae with the Thimble Reed growing out of it.  This would appear to be one of the mini oil biomes generated by the "Irregular Oil" trait, and as such it is at a much higher position in the asteroid than normal.  Given that there are 2 Oil Reservoirs in it, it is likely paired with the "Buried Oil" trait, reducing the amount of "free" oil but increasing the number of Oil Reservoirs to work with.

2 hours ago, Archetype said:

see absolutely no reason to put oil wells in such a closed off space to start with.

There are two reasons: 

You want a lot of oil covering the bottom of the oil well, so it prevents the water from boiling when the hot natural gas spawns next to it. (The tempshift is unnecessary, but the amount of oil is right.) Second, if you vacuum the room and keep it airtight, you can just pump the natural gas and not worry about filtering it. But yeah it can work in an open space too....

image.thumb.png.c4586021bcbdc55676a122b405b1628f.png

15 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

You can boil the water inside of buildings? I did not know this.

I learned something new.

Reveal hidden contents

That's so dumb. I've had it happen 3 times and thought the oil well was the only nearby source of water, but i'm still amazed.

32 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Now to do a test and figure out what other buildings this can happen to.

All of them that contain liquids, (or solids, I'm not sure about gases). That stuff exists (invisibly) on a particular tile. On that tile it acts as liquid (or debris) and interacts with its surroundings accordingly. It's always one of the bottom tiles, usually the middle one, or one of the middle ones if the building's width is even. This is why @JohnFrancis was having a hard time in his steam room with his glass forge, sitting in a puddle of water on airflow tiles. I don't know if he ever figured it out. :p

If someone could create a comprehensive guide on building-content interactions, that would be awesome. This is one of the things I had requested more info to when I was working on oni university. ONI-DB already has the building conductivity listed which could help understand temperature transfer. We still need a list of what tile the contents interact with for each building, but that shouldn't be too hard to test.

Here I laid out every possible building and tile that is capable of holding contents and/or dupes and genetic ooze. We also need to know which tile dupes stand on when they interact with these buildings (for automation purposes).

Spoiler

Freaky stuff happens with debri inside of mesh, airflow, and doors.

image.thumb.png.c2c0ea6dfb76840ac3d220076caed3fe.png

1 minute ago, biopon said:

So most of them anyway.

I'd say that's about right. the only things that don't have contents seem to be solid tiles and anything that only requires power.

The contents interact with the root tile (solid, liquid or gas) where is the building. This root tile seems not to change when we rotate the building (a conveyor loader rotated at 180° has his root tile on top). The content interact also with the solid tile below the root tile (that is particularly visible with buildings sitting on an insulated tile).

26 minutes ago, bobe17 said:

The contents interact with the root tile

Is this what you mean? where the cursor points at while placing a building. I think doors work differently in that they are solid tiles when closed, so they transfer temps on both sides (when horizontal) depending on where the debris is trapped.

image.thumb.png.46dc92f946cbb3fe70457caf2664efc1.png

26 minutes ago, bobe17 said:

a conveyor loader rotated at 180° has his root tile on top

Is this the only exception?

1 hour ago, bobe17 said:

Metal refinery is an exception.

could you elaborate please.

9 hours ago, biopon said:

There are two reasons: 

You want a lot of oil covering the bottom of the oil well, so it prevents the water from boiling when the hot natural gas spawns next to it. (The tempshift is unnecessary, but the amount of oil is right.) Second, if you vacuum the room and keep it airtight, you can just pump the natural gas and not worry about filtering it. But yeah it can work in an open space too....

image.thumb.png.c4586021bcbdc55676a122b405b1628f.png

A more reasonable space

10 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

You'll notice the blob of Algae with the Thimble Reed growing out of it.  This would appear to be one of the mini oil biomes generated by the "Irregular Oil" trait, and as such it is at a much higher position in the asteroid than normal.  Given that there are 2 Oil Reservoirs in it, it is likely paired with the "Buried Oil" trait, reducing the amount of "free" oil but increasing the number of Oil Reservoirs to work with.

ahh yes. Didn't look carefully enough

29 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Is this what you mean? where the cursor points at while placing a building.

yes

Is this the only exception?

I think the mini gas pump and mini liquid pump acts the same way.

could you elaborate please.

The content of the refinery doesn't transfer heat at all with the outside.

11 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

No buildings thermally interact with their contents.

The contents function as debris, with the exceptions of insulated buildings and those that prevent off-gassing.

Does this mean that all you would have to do to fix the oil well problem is put 1 insulated tile under the root tile to limit thermal transfer between the released gas and the contents?

idk what the thermal multipliers are for gas-debri, liquid-debri, or solid-debri interactions.

9 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Does this mean that all you would have to do to fix the oil well problem is put 1 insulated tile under the root tile to limit thermal transfer between the released gas and the contents?

An insulated tile underneath the root will reduce the water transfer with the envinroment. It will also reduce the massive heating provided by the gas contents constantly getting reset to the 250C or whatever it is despite transferring to the environment the whole time. But this particular problem is caused by the hot gas being released on the root tile (debris transfers with the tile it is in and the tile below). So you need to minimize the time the water spends in the same cell as hot gas (as mentioned already, done by tempshifts and thermal buffers, and by rapidly ejecting the gas by submersion) and an insulated tile alone is probably insufficient.

Archived