[Game Update] - 369546

• Developer

Return Of Them Beta Hotfix

• Revamped the Cookie Cutter code. They are also a little more of a threat.
  • Telelocator Staff will no longer teleport aquatic creatures onto land.
  • Physics and rendering optimizations
  • The Malbatross can now spawn on the first day
  • The Malbatross no longer relocates to a new shoal when loading a world

View full update

• Like 7
  • Thanks 10

4 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

The Malbatross can now spawn on the first day

Yay, no more waiting on day 28!

In testing, I defeated Malbatross on day 1 to see when it'd respawn next, but I could not get it to respawn ever again. I used the LongUpdate() command to advance time. I kept skipping time all the way to the beginning of the 2nd spring at day 106, but couldn't get Malbatross to respawn at any shoal. If Malbatross respawned every 20 days after being defeated, that'd put it in line with other day 1 optional bosses like Dragonfly/Toadstool/Bee Queen.

Edit: I waited 15 days, and he does eventually spawn at a shoal. very kool. LongUpdate() doesn't work as lakhnish said.

Also want to mention mighty Wolfgang with a dark sword only gets around 16 Malbatross feather because he does so much damage. It's not nearly enough to make the mast (24 feathers). Maybe Malbatross should instead drop a flat amount of feathers every time it reaches 70%/40%/20% HP the same as how Toadstool drops scales at % HP? It'd ensure every character regardless of weapon choice can make the mast.

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

Telelocator Staff will no longer teleport aquatic creatures onto land.

Mmm... Can't we have a TELELAQUATOR FOCUS instead ? So if you teleport an aquatic creature, it goes in water randomly or on the focus if it is charged (don't works for ground mobs), can only be placed in water. Honestly I'd like to have some Cookie Cutter in a lake :wilson_love:

I'm feeling that the Telelocator Staff is getting nerfed on possible uses with updates, but it's one of the more interesting relocating feature that players love to use for many reasons, don't leave it aside please.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ADM said:

I'm feeling that the Telelocator Staff is getting nerfed on possible uses with updates

All of the telelocator changes have been fixing unintended consequences and bugs which is healthy for the game. Not really nerfs.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

--SNIP--

The LongUpdate command won't work to update the malbatross spawning component. I've been told that this command works instead:

Spoiler

TheWorld.components.malbatrossspawner:Update(<time in seconds>)

Idk if the respawn time has changed in this update (can't check atm), but before it was every 5-15 days after you killed it.

Still thinking about the feather thing, but it's growing on me since it's farmable with less damage weapons.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lakhnish said:

TheWorld.components.malbatrossspawner:Update(<time in seconds>)

Hm that commands didn't make it spawn either unless I'm doing something wrong. I think I'm just gonna defeat it again and let my game sit for 20 days and not mess with commands lol. 

Edit: I waited 15 days, and he does eventually spawn at a shoal. very kool. LongUpdate() doesn't work as lakhnish said.

I think if you can farm tons of feathers from wacking Malbatross with a walking cane, that's not very good design. It doesn't give you a reason to ever fight Malbatross normally, or to ever fight it more than once (unless you need more blueprints). If you're required to defeat it multiple times to get a guaranteed sail each time, I think that'd be better. Also, most people don't know how feather RNG works. A lot of people are gonna get the short end of the stick and get 23 or less feathers because they used a dark sword/glass cutter.

Edited by Bird Up

8 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

I think if you can farm tons of feathers from wacking Malbatross with a walking cane, that's not very good design.

That's great design.

You have to kill it once to get the blueprint—and you can't overpower it with crazy numbers or you won't get the materials needed to craft said sail. Consecutive kills aren't as necessary which is fine because after tackling a boss once it loses it's flare and just becomes tedium.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

That's great design.

To someone like you who knows how the feather RNG works, and you can abuse it, that's fine. Most people aren't going into the fight thinking of defeating it with just a spear or something weaker so they can get a mast or two. I can see my friends and other casual players facepalming after defeating this boss and getting absolutely nothing of worth because the blueprints and feathers are effectively worthless if you do not get enough. They would have just risked their life and their boat to only get some meat and blue gems. Who knows when Malbatross will spawn next, and what shoal it will be, just to get one mast. That is by no means good design. Dragonfly doesn't drop HALF a scale when you defeat it. It drops the full scale so you are actually left with some loot and craftables after your victory. 

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 3

Just now, Bird Up said:

To someone like you who knows how the feather RNG works, and you can abuse it, that's fine.

Guess how I figured it out though? I failed. 

I killed the thing and didn't get enough feathers. Since I was unsure if the feathers were tied to a burst of damage like some other boss drops I tried that. I tried a few more thing and I eventually figured out how it worked.

If everything is so straight forward that's boring. It breaks the formula. People shouldn't succeed by putting zero thought into things. That's lame. Trial and error. Learning from mistakes. That's Don't Starve.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That's how I figured it out too. That doesn't change the fact that the boss leaves you with nothing of value if you come too prepared with good weapons to the fight. How is making Malbatross item drops like Toadstool making it 'zero thought'. This is already an aspect of the game no one argues against. Incentivising attacking a boss with a whirly fan or equivalent to make boss items doesn't sounds very smart to me. Malbatross is the only boss that can potentially drop nothing effectively useful for all your hard work.

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Physics and rendering optimizations

Does this also fix the occasional skipped line of an image for rendering? It happens quite often but only from certain locations and/or angles so I haven't been able to screenshot it.
Here's a photoshopped image as an example:

Spoiler

Boulder.png.d09674e09d7527d2a202a23f52b29b77.png

Edited by CossonWool
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thieverpedia said:

Does this mean Cookie Cutters will actually be a threat if not addressed immediately? If so, it's about time. They served only as a minor distraction before.

Cookie Cutter has now a chance to drop shell (about 25%), increased range of triggering on boat and I think decreased time needed to make a hole

• Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, QrChuck said:

Cookie Cutter has now a chance to drop shell (about 25%), increased range of triggering on boat and I think decreased time needed to make a hole

I think they attack with their tail more often now. Didn't even need to kite with a spear before.

• Thanks 1