[Game Update] - 367948

V2C

13 hours ago, ZolaRay said:

It still feels like there is more stuff to fix

#notmywoodie

Complaints about is not enough but doesn't detail what and how = 90% of complaints in the forums

11 hours ago, Mario384 said:

I still think letting players somehow indefinitely extend the transformations would've been a smoother move than just extending the time per totem use, as the idea of using totems over and over to achieve a form for a longer time doesn't really appeal to me.  Woodie the human still needs a downside, but the forms are balanced out by losing all hunger, I suppose.  I'm not pleased with how he plays, but the forums were appeased, so anything I could say further will fall on deaf ears, so I guess I just suck it up and pick another character.

Just give your feedback with concise arguments. As long as you detail you feedback and suggestions there can be a further discussion. No need to hold back if you think you have a good idea that could enrich the topic. 

Edited by FreyaMaluk
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

Complaints about is not enough but doesn't detail what and how = 90% of complaints in the forums

There's already tons of WoOdiE ReWoRk SuGgEsTioNs threads out there, no need to flood them in the replies as well.

@Mario384 The implied downside of Woodie's human form is that he has 2x chance of spawning treeguards when chopping. Granted, this is mitigated completely in werebeaver form. In addition, the use of totems to extend the transformation time is better than how Woodie used to be, where he had to constantly eat logs to maintain his werebeaver form. 

Another thing that sorta balances out his transformations to an extent is the fact you get animation locked upon entering and exiting transformations. Certain bosses will hunt you down if you don't properly position yourself during this, so he can't hard-solo things like Wolfgang can. Plus, not being able to exactly time out when you leave transformations in reference to boss patterns means he has to be more careful if there isn't a Wortox nearby.

On 15/09/2019 at 7:17 PM, Wytera said:

The implied downside of Woodie's human form is that he has 2x chance of spawning treeguards when chopping. Granted, this is mitigated completely in werebeaver form. In addition, the use of totems to extend the transformation time is better than how Woodie used to be, where he had to constantly eat logs to maintain his werebeaver form. 

The thing is though, it's hardly a downside as is. Unlike stuff like Wortox and Webber being instantly aggro'd by normally neutral and potentially very helpful mobs like Pigs and Bunnies which can be found in the wild and inconvenience travel above and underground respectively, and in dangerous swarms sometimes at that - the increased chance to spawn treeguards is still rather low and even after spawning one if you didn't mean to, you can easily run from the strolling giant, placate it with saplings for a base guard or to fight later more easily with allies. Nothing along the lines of an army of mobs locking off areas from YOU specifically and keeping you on your toes.

And more importantly: most of the time, Woodie's ability to spawn more treeguards is an upside rather than a downside, in order to farm living logs - after all, you literally have Beaver form on a silver platter to farm wood faster, without shovel durability and without a chance to be held up by treeguards if wood is what you're after.

He truly needs another downside (preferably relating to Lucy) and some change to make his design more cohesive, because as is to me he's sorta just a hodge-podge of mechanics especially the cool transformations just being utility he has full control over when to unleash barring full moons, making Woodie's strange abilities undoubtedly more a 'superpower' than a 'terrible curse'.

Since I'm no game designer and can't think of much right now, I'll just echo once more my idea of Woodie being restricted to only gaining sanity from sources when Lucy is equipped but also letting her replenish Woodie's sanity slowly when held to offset this - making sanity even more of a headache to Woodie (i.e. sanity headgear ineffective underground when you need to constantly hold a lantern) when his transformations actively deplete it and making Lucy fittingly a key item he should almost always have equipped (Lucy has so much noisy dialogue for being dropped or being out of his hands after all..) and also playing into the fact that carelessness - as well as any new changes to make transformations more intrusively occur - could lead to Woodie losing Lucy and any way to recover sanity however temporarily if he is holding her as he transforms and drops her.

(alternate holding Lucy buff could be multiplying sanity gained from sources slightly to synergize with sanity aura of followers that Woodie still has increased allure over, but i like the slow sanity increase much better as it actively encourages holding Lucy passively)

Edited by Atkvin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Did you chop the tree directly or something else did? Only the beaver's chopping doesn't get treeguards, but pigs or any other entity breaking trees will.

If it was you, make a report on the bugs section.

it's also possible that it was a treeguard some other player spawned and placated and he triggered it by gnawing trees near it rather than spawning it

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Atkvin said:

[snip]  Woodie's truly needs another downside ... [snip]

Well Woodie does have several downsides at the moment, maybe they are harder to see but they are there.

• Spawning more treeguards: although as you mentioned that can be both a good and a bad thing.
  • Can't really survive off monster meat: This doesn't seem like much but in reality it is, I've lived off absolute emergencies eating monster meat  countless of times, usually stuck in a bad ruins raid, as a late joiner, or after a griefed base mid winter. Webber gets no penalty for it, and other characters have a tiny penalty, such as Wortox or Wigfrid. Most other characters do have penaties for doing so, but as long as you have something to heal and ways to fight shadows, you can still pretty much survive off it if required. Woodie now can't, as any second monster meat, or monster related food will turn him to a were-monster and basically deplete all his food. Unless its used to escape a specific situation, he will have a bad time if MM is all there is to feed.
  • Full moons need special preparation: You have to be ready for full moons, otherwise you risk starving to death or getting killed by risky situations if unprepared. You always have to be wary of the day count, as distractions can get you killed.
  • This one is tiny but it s there too: Woodie does overheat slightly faster than other characters. The difference is tiny due to his beard permanent insulation and I wouldn't write home about it, but its there and it's something.

Honestly, in my opinion I think he's fine as he is. I hope they don't change him soon.

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Honestly, in my opinion I think he's fine as he is. I hope they don't change him soon.

I actually agree with this personally, the recent patch pushed him up into viability and having a solid purpose and unique gameplay that isn't too much risk for too little reward in transformation as it was previously at initial refresh.

However from a design standpoint I want him to be more interesting and fun to play rather than just Wilson with an axe and 3 different 'curses' that while very very cool snd useful feel too removed from base Woodie. He definitely has the potential to become greater as a character is what I'm saying, especially if whatever is added can tie together his several different mechanics into a more cohesive package, something like what I suggested.

(Though your monster meat limitation is something sorta valid I didn't think of, I stand that everything else is still mostly something that could easily be sidestepped and only inconvenience new players. If full moon affected you underground that'd be a real terror potentially being drained of hunger in a dangerous environment - but it doesn't, and aboveground you could easily scavenge seeds anywhere to stave off starvation, and a smart player would start a transformation ahead and use full moon to refill the Weremeter instead, again making it potentially an upside.

There's nothing like Wigfrid's iconic meat only diet, Wendy's lower damage or Maxy's lower health that necessitates an interesting change in gameplay and challenge players that I'd love to see in Woodie to make him an even better designed character, but otherwise should it be too complicated to implement or throw off his balance too much, in general I'm fine with Woodie and he's in an ok spot in my books too.)

Edited by Atkvin
  • Like 1

Please add this update to the console version, for now Woodie is still unplayable on Xbox One .(probably on ps4 too) great job by the way!
It is also rare, lately the updates arrive within a few days or at the same time, especially if it is something as small as some adjustments

Edited by Wonky656
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The sad part about this patch is that over on Xbox/PS4 console- we still have a broken disappointing Reworked Woodie who can’t use Goose form to cross over water. 

Hopefully Soon Klei??

nor use the transformations in general, they last from 15 to 90 seconds xd

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FeagleSnorf said:

It just happened again imma make bug report

Please do report with your game log.

Also about the treeguard spawning topic, im on day 300+ and im not spawning treeguards at all as human Woodie, and im chopping trees with Lucy like if there's no tomorrow. Does anyone know if this change actually work?

Recently they changed the code so that now the game checks how old is the player for the server, to calculate the possibility of treeguards based on his/her survival count, and not on the world time. Could it be its (incorrectly) taking into account the time the character has existed in the game? So since I switched characters less than 10 ingame days ago I'm not getting any more treeguards?

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

If you think about it, Woodie's Locomotion form is Poultry in motion.:wilson_sneaky:

Actually no... when I Think about it I can’t help but laugh a little bit, the Original Don’t Starve Single player game (and I think maybe even the character portrait of Wilson in DST) has him holding a goose by the neck pouring experimental chemicals down its throat.. And I wonder if maybe it wasn’t just Woodie in Were-Goose form he had been experimenting on all along. 

• Haha 4

On 9/14/2019 at 11:59 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

Just give your feedback with concise arguments. As long as you detail you feedback and suggestions there can be a further discussion. No need to hold back if you think you have a good idea that could enrich the topic. 

-moose is still too slow to kite

-using moose on a long fight like for example a treeguard might end up killing you because of the idols -20HP, the hits from the treeguard, and the -1.3hp/s from starving.

-Mooses charge deals still the same and its very situational 

-goose is still not fast enough (jusamping through gaps might be good to have and a penalty on the goose meter might balance it but its not really needed to have this mechanic)

-Idols still take HP from you, it would be fine if you always had max hp, which is not the case if some players have died or are low on hp and have no time or havent found a way to heal yet and need to transform asap, which will leave you after a transformation or after a fight as moose in a very poor condition or end up killing you. I feel like the idols should deal no hp penalty but instead something like -50 Sanity

1 hour ago, ZolaRay said:

moose is still too slow to kite

-using moose on a long fight like for example a treeguard might end up killing you because of the idols -20HP, the hits from the treeguard, and the -1.3hp/s from starving.

-Mooses charge deals still the same and its very situational 

moose is like marble armor, 90% armor is pretty strong.

treeguards are easy to kite, just take your time practicing. devs gave tips on the live stream like prep for the after of transforming.

moose charge is super good, you can kite many foes and get the charge hit, also it is crowd control.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1