You know I feel like someone lied to me

It's common knowledge that a tamed drecko requires 2 plants to keep it's belly full while a glossy requires 3, or at least that's what I believed. Here I was with my first drecko ranch, feeding them mealwood so they would lay glossy eggs more frequently, and eventually I replaced all the regular dreckos on the stable with glossy ones, always reminding myself to make another stable because those 16 mealwoods would not keep up with the 8 glossy dreckos. 

wat.thumb.png.68b341aba254508c641f740148a8de20.png

turns out 16 mealwoods are enough to keep 8 glossy dreckos happy. 

Huh.

Weird.  I had 5 mealwood for 8 glossies and they never starved out that I was aware.  Wasn't exactly keeping track of their kcal levels though.  Didn't see critter starvation from them that I remember.  Odd.  I'll have to load up that old save and watch levels now.

Technically, you could let them die out early and replace them with one of their offspring, then the number of plants don't really matter as much as the room size to keep them happy. I don't think that approach can be automated though. Also, this is just a guess, but I'm pretty sure they will eventually starve and slow down reproduction. It's that starting pool of calories they have that is keeping them alive and happy.

Could be, it's just difficult to test this unless we can manipulate time in ONI without crashing our game. I'll do some passive observation when I'm playing. I'll set up a couple drecko ranches with different amounts of mealwood. I could probably do the same test for pips as well. It will take 150 cycles, but the research must go on.

14 hours ago, Deustodo said:

turns out 16 mealwoods are enough to keep 8 glossy dreckos happy. 

Huh.

It´s a bug reported multiple times, but got no attention so far. Their Calories Counter always jumps to 10000kCal whenever they eat something. Even when they were starving.

I personally play the game as if anything that appears like it shouldn't work will get patched out by the next time I load up the game. Thus I make sure I have the 3 plants per glossy when I make my Drecko stable. Dreckos are especially important to not have to redo because of the gas balance requirement. 

Its not like its difficult to make a full feed Drecko stable. This one sweeps the eggs and fleece. Can set up dirt delivery to the mealwood from the bottom. Haven't gotten around to it yet myself so the dupes are doing it. 

20190914022931_1.thumb.jpg.87b55d4b4fe2805e61684a6e60dc0e64.jpg

6 hours ago, Promethien said:

I personally play the game as if anything that appears like it shouldn't work will get patched out by the next time I load up the game. Thus I make sure I have the 3 plants per glossy when I make my Drecko stable. 

Agreed. One of these days my base will literally explode when doors/airflow tiles finally start to break under extreme pressures and I will laugh. And probably reload a couple times just to watch the destruction... 

Archived