Know Your Anenemy (Now with video yay I guess)

Previous post stuff:

Spoiler

So, have you guys found any interesting uses for the Anenemy? Sure, you can use it as you would use a tooth trap or a bramble husk, but, at least for me, it's not worth the annoyance of having to run around it or having to kite it to get the loot.

Here's some info about the Anenemy:
- Deals 60 damage with a cooldown of 1 minute. (That's 480 per day each)
- You can realocate them with a shovel after triggering it.
- Cannot hit flying mobs such as bats (unless they are sleeping) or the dragonfly.
- Has AOE damage (cannot hit walls, which is great).
- Takes a while to deal damage after being triggered, making some mobs (such as hounds) able to get past without taking damage depending on the angle.
Does damage even when unloaded, as long as there's a mob standing over it.

With that info I was able to come up with two uses for it:
A lazy way to gather goat milk

20190907181536_1.thumb.jpg.200c52d651ed6dee001d68f22a5ab97c.jpg
As you can see on the picture, there's two enclosed spots. One of the enclosed areas has the goats and the other is connected to a corridor that has eleven anenemies (enough to leave the goat low enough to die to a morning star hit). To use this you have to separate one goat from the herd, aggro it using something like an ice staff to bait it through the corridor and then give it a last hit using a morning star. (PS: Make sure to place the anenemies before the walls, I'm sure you know how the hitboxes can be a bit janky)

aaand... Another way to cheese the ancient guardian! (as if we didn't had enough of those)

20190907223231_1.thumb.jpg.b02681b29c897d8215687c3387169bb4.jpg
If you place an anenemy under the guardian, after leaving the area it will kill the guardian in twenty-one days (obviously less if you manage to squish another one there), which is one day more than the time that it takes to recharge the atrium portal (I think it's pretty great considering you don't have to take any risks, such as losing the horn to the void). To do this you have to make it charge against you, then bait it far away enough to make it come back, record the spot in where it will stand after losing aggro on you, make it leave the spot where you want to put the anenemy and put it there, and then, finally, bait it again the same way you did to make it go back to where you put the anenemy. Sounds kinda complicated but after doing it the first time you'll see it's not (I can make a video on it if someone got confused or something).

I also tried:
> Placing one anenemy in each of the spots the mobs of the ruins would respawn after resetting the ruins, but they force dig it after respawning (kinda sad but fair). - Thanks to @Electroely info and @Bird Up picture now we know that this is possible and how to do it. Thanks guys!
> Using it to get rid of bats using a pig skin as bait, but the flying hitbox remains the same even during the "going down to eat" animation (which is a bit lame).

I guess that's all I had to share. What do you guys like to use the anenemy for?

Edit: 

This is amazing! I never knew traps worked while unloaded. Nor that anenemies had AoE.

To help you out with your ruins clockwork dilemma:
Anenemies have a range of 1.4 units. Ruins respawners destroy stuff in a 1 unit radius around them. With precise placement, you can actually have clockworks get auto-killed!

56 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Anenemies have a range of 1.4 units. Ruins respawners destroy stuff in a 1 unit radius around them. With precise placement, you can actually have clockworks get auto-killed!

Wooooo! Thanks for the info!

55 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

Maybe you could leave some by the Goose Goose spawner to kill off moslings and weaken Goose Goose.

That's such a great idea to get some free feathers!

55 minutes ago, Bird Up said:

You could also try them around mactusk and maybe tallbird spawner.

Hmmm. I thought of doing that, but for that situation personally I'd rather use bunnymen/Winona's catapults since there's only so many anenemies laying around and their loot is not really worth the hassle (well mactusk's loot is if you don't have it yet, but you get the point xD).

15 minutes ago, Bee2017 said:

I wonder how it would work against the bishops.  Those are the ones I have problems with.

It works just like the ancient guardian process (a little bit better since their AI makes them always return to the same spot, unlike the ancient guardian which returns to the same "area"). I'd recommend just face-tanking them though, but the preference is yours.

4 hours ago, Electroely said:

Is there a console command to restore the ruins, so that i can test this without having to kill the fuelweaver every time x_x

8 minutes ago, Pedrito said:

you can place a bait surrounded by statues and make a nice spider farm

Problem with statues in farms is that they don't work when they go off screen. Spiders can eat the bait if you walk away from the statues. You can see how that happens in @chrisbq's post here -

13 hours ago, Pruinae said:

Placing one anenemy in each of the spots the mobs of the ruins would respawn after resetting the ruins, but they force dig it after respawning (kinda sad but fair).

After trying for a little bit, I can confirm that this does work on the clockworks! Using the Geometric Placement mod, I counted the plus signs on the floor to act as distance. In this case, the distance of 2.25 and 2.5 pluses away from the clockwork's spawning location works. If you place it at the second plus marker, it'll be too close and will get uprooted, and if you place it at the third plus marker, it'll be too far away and will not work at all, so it has to be between 2 and 3.

I'm kinda blown away that it actually hurts enemies not loaded on the screen.

BIshop.thumb.png.be713efb1c51ed00ea0b76347fe3f9d7.png

3 hours ago, Bird Up said:

-snip-

Thank you so much for testing xD
If Klei doesn't change anything, this is such a lazy way to clean the ruins. I love it.

(I will be a bit sad if they do, but they are the ones balancing the game)

5 hours ago, loopuleasa said:

So do anenemies regrow slowly in lunar like stone bushes, or are they non renewable?

I'm 99% sure they are non renewable, but I can't be sure 'cause I don't know how to look in the files for that kind of stuff. (Just like how the portal respawns, albeit rather slowly, grass, twigs and berries in endless worlds apparently?)
Klei is still updating around this content, maybe they will add a way to make them renewable.

(sorry forums for double posting, but I'm not sure that the person will receive the notification if I just edit the previous post Edit: nvm they just merge. such technology much wow)

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

If they work as you say they work, I could see them being used as a decent Winona-free Varg farm. Not as efficient obviously, but it wouldn't require switching

Hmm, I don't know really. Will the Vargs spawn hounds when unloaded? If not, I don't think it will work / be worth it.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:19 PM, Pruinae said:

aaand... Another way to cheese the ancient guardian! (as if we didn't had enough of those)

I just thought about this today, and I realized it’s completely possible not only to trap his spawn with anenemys, but you could also place the Ocuvigil down to allow you to see exactly the moment when he dies, due to his chest map icon. That’s pretty neato, in all honesty!

52 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

I just thought about this today, and I realized it’s completely possible not only to trap his spawn with anenemys, but you could also place the Ocuvigil down to allow you to see exactly the moment when he dies, due to his chest map icon. That’s pretty neato, in all honesty!

The cheese gets cheesier, thank you for improving it xD I always forget about items like ocuvigil for some reason
With the new info @Electroely (sorry if the @ bothers you, I just thought it was adequate) gave us about the superior Anenemy range, now we also know it's possible to trap the AG respawn point since it is fixated in the middle of the arena (the placement has to be the same of the ruins mobs otherwise it will be auto dug) and you won't even have to go there 2 times (one to place the trap and another to get the loot), you just need to go get the key and leave.

28 minutes ago, Well-met said:

To be honest I never thought bishops warranted this much effort. Are they this bad?

The effort of planting a sea anenemy trap? It's not like it's difficult. The testing was a lot of effort of trial and error to get it right, but in practice it's brain dead easy.

6 hours ago, Well-met said:

To be honest I never thought bishops warranted this much effort. Are they this bad?

The point is to clean ruins automatically, after you kill the mob you put an anenemy where the mob was standing so next time you reset the ruins and get there the anenemy will already have killed it (it will take 2 days for the anenemies to kill the enemies you trapped since it's 480 damage a day, but still, automatic, since you don't have to be there or nowhere near there for it to happen) and all you have to do is grab the loot. The hardest part is figuring out where is the correct spot to put the trap since, after respawning, the mobs destroy stuff within 1 unit radius.

Archived